Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pupils evacuated from Fenton School, Haverfordwest

Published

on

fire fentonA FIRE broke out in the roof space of Fenton School Haverfordwest this morning. All pupils were safely evacuated and the Fire Brigade attended. The fire is now out.

However, it has caused some disruption to the normal working of the school. The Headteacher is now requesting that parents of infant school pupils (nursery, reception and classes 1& 2) please pick up their children from the school.

The school is also contacting parents of children attending the Special Unit to check they are at home to receive their children. Transport will be provided to take them home.

Junior pupils will remain in school as normal but parents wishing to collect their children may do so. Parents are advised to check with the 380-pupil school tomorrow morning to check that it is open. Phone 01437 765378.

 

UPDATE – FENTON SCHOOL PARTIALLY RE-OPEN FRIDAY

Following the fire earlier today (Thursday, 14th November), Fenton Community Primary School in Haverfordwest will be open as normal tomorrow (Friday. 15th November) apart from the Nursery and Reception classes (pink and green classes).

Three classrooms are still closed in order to facilitate repairs.

Investigations continue as to the cause of the fire at the 380-pupil school.

Information on the status of the Nursery and Reception classes will be displayed from Sunday afternoon on the Pembrokeshire County Council website.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Two banned from county after ‘disturbance’ at Penally Asylum Centre

Published

on

TWO asylum seekers have been banned from entering Pembrokeshire while investigations take place into a disturbance at a military training camp where asylum seekers are being housed.

Dyfed-Powys Police said it was called to the Penally Asylum Accommodation centre at 13:45 HRS on Tuesday (Oct 20)

A 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of affray, and a 25-year-old man was held on suspicion of assault.

Both have been bailed on condition they avoid the area, the force said.

Home Office spokesman told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “The government takes the wellbeing of asylum seekers and the communities in which they live extremely seriously.

“We are aware of an incident at the Penally site but it would be inappropriate to comment further while investigations are ongoing.”

There was an ongoing police presence at the camp again on Wednesday night (Oct 20) – with a police van with blue lights flashing seen driving into the facility.

Continue Reading

News

Two arrests following disturbance inside Penally Asylum Accommodation Centre

Published

on

THERE was a large police presence at Penally Asylum Accommodation Centre on Tuesday afternoon, after what police are describing as a ‘disturbance involving a small group of people.’

The emergency call went out at lunch time, and thirteen police vehicles responded to the incident, a resident of Penally confirmed.

At first the police said that one person had been arrested, but later on Tuesday evening the police released a second statement saying that two people had been taken into custody.

It is understood that both the persons arrested are asylum seekers staying at the former army training camp.

A spokesperson for Dyfed-Powys Police told the Herald in it’s latest emailed statement: “We were called to a disturbance involving a small group of people within the Penally Asylum Accommodation Centre at around 1.45pm on Tuesday (Oct 20).

“Two people have been arrested, a 22 year old man and a 25 year old man. The 22 year old was arrested on suspicion of affray, and the 25 year old was arrested on suspicion of assault. No one was taken to hospital.

“The investigation is ongoing.”

Our reporter was at the scene just after 7pm on Tuesday and the area was quiet.

There was no visible police presence remaining outside the former army camp, and just a handful of protestors outside the main gate.

Continue Reading

News

Follow lockdown rules, public leaders in Pembrokeshire urge

Published

on

PULBIC leaders in Pembrokeshire are urging people to comply with the latest measures introduced by the Welsh Government under its ‘firebreak’ scheme.

Councillors David Simpson and Paul Harries – Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council and Chairman of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority respectively – have echoed the sentiments of First Minister Mark Drakeford’s “come together” call.

“It is imperative for the safety of all of us that we follow the regulations which come into effect on Friday” Councillor Simpson emphasised.

“Although the number of coronavirus cases in Pembrokeshire is relatively low compared with other areas across the nation, the figures here are on the rise. Undoubtedly measures would have to be taken sooner or later in our county to halt that increase.

“The thinking is that introducing a 17-day long ‘firebreak’ now and across the nation will slow the spread of the virus and prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed with Covid-19 cases.

“This could potentially prevent hundreds of deaths.

“So I appeal to everyone to comply with the restrictions being introduced and follow the safety advice of wearing face coverings in confined public spaces, observe social distancing and regularly wash your hands.

Councillor Paul Harries said : “We appreciate that people will want to access the National Park and the outdoors more than ever as we head into the firebreak lockdown, but we are asking people to follow the guidance and only exercise from home, whilst following the Countryside Code.

“We understand that the restrictions are challenging for people, but keeping Pembrokeshire safe is our utmost priority and we will do all we can to support Welsh Government in following the guidance.

“When the time is right we look forward to welcoming visitors back to Pembrokeshire and most importantly doing this at a time when we can keep everyone safe. For now, we urge everyone to follow the firebreak guidance and stay home to stay safe.”

For a list of Frequently Asked Questions go to: https://gov.wales/coronavirus-circuit-break-frequently-asked-questions

Continue Reading
News10 hours ago

Two banned from county after ‘disturbance’ at Penally Asylum Centre

TWO asylum seekers have been banned from entering Pembrokeshire while investigations take place into a disturbance at a military training...

News2 days ago

Pembrokeshire lockdown ‘disproportionate’ as cases locally were below trigger-point

PEMBROKESHIRE was plunged into the Welsh Government’s ‘fire-break’ lockdown even though the County does not meet the criteria for a...

News3 days ago

Everything you need to know about the two week lockdown for Wales

BELOW is everything you need to know about the new lock down being introduced in Wales from Friday, as supplied...

News3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council considering ‘Fire-break’ implications

FOLLOWING the First Minister’s announcement at lunchtime today (Oct 19) of an all-Wales ‘firebreak’ commencing on Friday, Pembrokeshire County Council...

News3 days ago

Two week national ‘Firebreak Lockdown’ announced for Wales from 6pm on Friday

MARK DRAKEFORD, The First Minister of Wales has announced a two week ‘fire break’ lockdown from Friday October 23 at...

News4 days ago

Cardiff and London at loggerheads over who will pay the bill for the Wales-wide lockdown

THE PLANNED national lockdown for Wales still has many details to finalise before any final announcement of its terms and...

News7 days ago

Sageston: Sex offender who was chased from street by protestors jailed

A SEX offender who was removed from his home to get him away from a protest over his release, breached...

News1 week ago

Magistrates issue thousands of pounds worth of fines for lockdown breaches

A MAN who travelled from Swansea to Pembrokeshire to buy five sacks of potatoes has been fined for breaching Covid...

News1 week ago

Shell fisheries closed after train crash can reopen

COCKLE and shell fisheries that were closed as a precaution following the Milford Haven oil train derailment in Carmarthenshire on...

News1 week ago

Covid-19 case confirmed at Ysgol Bro Gwaun, Fishguard

A CASE of Covid-19 has been confirmed in Year 11 at Ysgol Bro Gwaun, Fishguard. As a precaution Year 11...

Popular This Week