Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

School stabbing girl wanted ‘more eyes on her’

Published

on

A TEENAGER who stabbed three people at a Carmarthenshire school told police she wanted “more eyes on her” as the incident would be reported in the news, a jury has heard.

Teachers Fiona Elias and Liz Hopkin, along with a pupil, were injured in the attack at Ysgol Dyffryn Aman, Ammanford, on April 24, 2024.

The 14-year-old girl, who cannot be named due to her age, has admitted carrying out the triple stabbing but denies three counts of attempted murder.

On the fourth day of the trial at Swansea Crown Court, the jury was shown bodycam footage from a police officer. In the video, the girl is seen sitting in a police vehicle, asking: “Are they going to die?”

‘One way to be a celebrity’

She then added: “I’ve had loads of eyes on me today. Sooner or later, I’m sure this is going to be on the news, so even more people will be looking at me.

“That’s one way to be a celebrity.”

The court heard that she admitted stabbing the pupil while in the police vehicle, saying “oopsies” afterwards.

‘Cold’ demeanour

A video of her arrest was also shown, with a Dyfed-Powys Police officer describing her demeanour as “cold” in a witness statement.

The jury was shown drawings found in the teenager’s notebooks, including one featuring the injured pupil’s name surrounded by words such as “burning” and “death”. Other phrases included, “Why do I want to kill others just as much as I want to kill myself?” and “Why do I feel nothing but hate?”

One entry read: “I feel like I’m going to commit a crime of a lifetime.”

Another drawing, titled “Mrs Frogface Elias,” was also shown to the court.

Injuries and bloodshed

The jury was presented with images of the injuries suffered by the victims. Prosecution barrister William Hughes KC described a wound to Ms Hopkin’s neck, while the wounds suffered by Ms Elias and the pupil were described as “superficial”.

Witness statements from emergency workers described a “considerable amount of blood on the floor” around Ms Hopkin.

The trial continues.

 

Crime

Driver admits killing dog walker whose body was found in churchyard

Published

on

Guilty plea entered at Swansea Crown Court after fatal hit-and-run days before Christmas

A MAN has admitted causing the death of a Carmarthenshire dog walker after striking him with a car and leaving the scene.

Daniel Wyke, aged 28, of Carmarthen, appeared before Swansea Crown Court on Monday (Feb 16) where he pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

The victim, Aaron Jones, aged 38, from Llanpumsaint, was discovered in a churchyard near Caer Salem Baptist Chapel on December 23, 2024 — just days before Christmas.

Tragic: Aaron Jones

The court heard that Mr Jones, a father of two, had suffered catastrophic injuries after being struck by a vehicle at around 7:20pm. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Prosecutor Ian Wright told the court there was extensive damage to the windscreen of the vehicle involved, consistent with a serious impact.

Guilty plea: Daniel Wyke

Mr Jones’ body was found after his dog was discovered wandering alone by a passer-by, who contacted his wife and raised the alarm, prompting a search of the area.

Wyke was arrested the following day.

In addition to the fatal collision, he had also faced a separate allegation of dangerous driving on Water Street in Carmarthen. That charge was denied and remains outstanding.

His Honour Judge Paul Thomas KC granted Wyke bail but imposed an immediate driving disqualification.

A provisional sentencing date has been set for March 30.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Published

on

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday

ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb 16) following last week’s armed police operation in Pembroke Dock, as officers confirmed that three other suspects have been released on bail.

The Herald reported on Friday (Feb 13) that firearms officers, dog units and multiple police vehicles were deployed to Gordon Street during a pre-planned operation involving several specialist departments.

Dyfed-Powys Police has now provided an update on the outcome of the raids.

Two men, aged 37 and 35, and a woman aged 32 — all arrested during Friday’s operation — have been released on bail pending further enquiries.

A fourth suspect, a 28-year-old man arrested for failing to appear in court, has been recalled to prison.

Officers also confirmed that a fifth person was arrested the following day, Saturday (Feb 14).

Zack High, aged 26, has since been charged with grievous bodily harm and is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court today.

During the initial operation, police said arrests were made for a range of suspected offences including grievous bodily harm, firearms possession, drugs supply, fraud, and possession of a bladed article.

Detective Sergeant Jamie Hughes, of Pembrokeshire CID, previously thanked the community for its patience during the large police deployment and said the action demonstrated that officers would “deal with offenders robustly and efficiently”.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Man who attacked woman outside Milford Haven bar ‘shows no remorse whatsoever’

Published

on

Judge halts hearing after victim statement reveals ongoing facial injuries

A MAN who admitted causing serious injuries to a woman outside a Milford Haven bar has had his sentencing postponed after a judge ordered further medical evidence to be obtained.

Ben Jenkins, aged 27, of St Lawrence Avenue, Hakin, appeared before Swansea Crown Court on Monday (Feb 16) for sentencing after being found guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to a female motorist outside the Nos Da Bar on Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on Guy Fawkes Night, November 5, 2023.

The court heard the case had been listed for sentence, but proceedings were halted part-way through the prosecution’s reading of the victim personal statement when new details emerged about the ongoing impact of the injuries.

Prosecutors told the court that the victim continues to suffer significant facial deformity more than two years after the incident, including a swollen cheek, an altered smile, and the presence of a bone fragment lodged within her sinus cavity.

At that stage, His Honour Judge P H Thomas KC intervened and directed that updated medical reports must be obtained before the court could properly assess the seriousness of the injuries and determine an appropriate sentence.

The victim’s statement described the profound physical and psychological consequences of the assault. She told the court that her confidence had been shattered and that her “world has become small”, with day-to-day life affected by pain, anxiety, and ongoing medical uncertainty.

Judge Thomas said the court required further clarification on the permanence and long-term prognosis of the injuries before sentence could be passed. He also made clear his concern about the defendant’s attitude.

“Ben Jenkins still shows no remorse whatsoever,” the judge remarked, indicating this would be a relevant factor when sentencing eventually takes place.

The hearing was adjourned to allow medical evidence to be obtained, and the case will now return to Swansea Crown Court for sentencing on April 17.

Jenkins remains on bail pending the next hearing.

 

Continue Reading

Crime4 hours ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government5 hours ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News21 hours ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health2 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime3 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime3 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News3 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education3 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Crime3 days ago

Armed police arrest man after major operation in Pembroke Dock

Firearms officers, dog units and roadblocks deployed on Gordon Street as Dyfed-Powys Police investigate ARMED officers sealed off part of...

Community3 days ago

Lifeboat to find new home at Pembroke Dock museum after historic handover ceremony

A HISTORIC lifeboat which saved forty lives around the British coastline is set to begin a new chapter in Pembroke...

Popular This Week