Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Narberth: Suspended sentence for attacking Ivy Bush landlady

Published

on

Suspended sentence: Olly Torkington

Suspended sentence: Olly Torkington

A SAUNDERSFOOT  man was warned on Tuesday (Dec 8) to “bring a toothbrush” if he appeared at Swansea crown court again.

Oliver George Torkington, aged 29, breached a suspended prison sentence and a driving ban and was at risk of an immediate jail sentence.

Judge Peter Heywood was told that Torkington, of Flat B, 2 Parkwood Court, Brewery Terrace, had received a suspended prison sentence on April 30 for attacking the landlady of the Ivy Bush pub in Narberth.

He was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work for the community.

On August 27 he was caught driving along the A40 at Llanddewi Velfrey despite having been banned. He was also uninsured.

The court heard that put him in breach of the April 30 sentence.

Torkington’s barrister, David Williams, said he had been under some confusion about the ban and had not knowingly ignored it.

He said Torkington had a responsible job making £39,000 a year, and was in a position to pay a substantial financial penalty.

Torkington admitted the offence.

Judge Peter Heywood said he did not doubt that Torkington had fully understood the terms of the suspended sentence and of the driving ban.

Claims of confusion “do not cut any ice, this was a deliberate disregard of a court order,” he added.

Torkington, he added, could have no complaint if he now sent him to jail.

But he had a good job and there had been no repeat of violence while in drink.

Torkington was fined £500 for driving while disqualified and £100 for having no insurance, and ordered to pay £240 in court costs.

The prison sentence was suspended for a further three months and 40 more hours were added to the unpaid work requirement.

And Judge Heywood warned Torkington, “If you breach the order again you had better bring a toothbrush with you because you will be going into custody.”

Writing on Facebook just after coming out of court Torkington showed he was relieved not to be inside for Christmas. He wrote: “So happy to be here spending Christmas with the people who matter and having a clear and focused head ready to rock the end of December and go into the New Year focused, driven and determined to bust my balls, earn money and live happily ever after. Thanks to everyone who’s shown support and extra special thank you to my nearest and dearest and for those who were there today!”

In 2007 Torkington also escaped jail. He smashed a beer glass in another man’s face escaped an immediate jail sentence after appearing in front of Swansea Crown Court.

A CCTV camera inside the Dragon Inn, Narberth, filmed Oliver George Torkington, then 22, as he suddenly lunged at Simon Evans, hitting him with the glass, thumping him in the face and biting him on the arm.

Torkington was pulled off by others in the pub.

But, said Gerald Neave, prosecuting, even then Torkington struggled to continue with the attack.

Mr Neave said there had been bad blood between the two men, who bumped into each other on September 8, 2006.

Mr Evans needed hospital treatment for cuts to his face, bruising and a bite mark.

At the time Torkington had admitted unlawful wounding.

Continue Reading
7 Comments

7 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Cyclist killed on A40 was serving police officer, force confirms

Published

on

A CYCLIST who died after a crash with a van on the A40 in Carmarthenshire was a serving police officer with Dyfed-Powys Police, the force has confirmed in a statement to Herald.Wales.

The driver of the van involved in the crash, which happened on Thursday (Feb 25) has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, it was confirmed on Friday (Feb 26).

Police are investigating the fatal collision, which caused the road to be closed for 12 hours, and are asking for any witnesses to come forward by calling 101.

37-year-old Lynwen Thomas, who is a former student at Ysgol Bro Myrddin, Croes-y-Ceiliog, Carmarthen, was a sergeant and a very well-respected member of Dyfed-Powys Police.

A spokesperson for the police said in a statement: “Our thoughts are with her family, friends and colleagues, who have all been offered specialist support. We ask that family members are given the privacy they need at this difficult time.”

Continue Reading

Health

Pembrokeshire residents urged to take a virtual GP consultation when offered

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE residents are being urged to take up the offer of a virtual consultation, over the phone or video call with their GP, to help Keep Wales Safe during the current lockdown ‘stay at home’ restrictions.

The way we access local NHS services is changing, with more ways in which you can consult your doctor or nurse. Most surgeries now offer telephone as well as electronic advice consultations in the first instance. Following your advice call, a face to face appointment may be organised, but video consultations are also available. You can now speak to a doctor or healthcare professional using the video camera in your smartphone, tablet or computer and a connection to the internet. This is often more convenient and can save you time, as you will not need to travel for a face-to-face appointment. The system used is confidential and secure.

In a recent YouGov survey carried out for the Welsh Government’s Keep Wales Safe campaign only 27% of residents in Mid and West Wales had made use of the GP virtual service over the past 12 months with just 57% having heard of the service. However, 88% believed it was important to have access to a remote GP consultation once they had learnt of its existence.

Jill Paterson, Director of Primary Care, Community and Long Term Care at Hywel Dda University Health Board, said: “If you are offered a video consultation appointment this is because your Health Care Professional has indicated that is it safe and appropriate to do so. Your video appointment will be confidential and will not be recorded. If you require support please contact your GP surgery using the number provided in the appointment confirmation.”

She continued: “By putting off small problems or regular appointments you could potentially be putting more strain on NHS emergency services so please, help us to help you, do not put anything off. Local GP surgeries are open and are there to offer medical advice and consult patients.”

After being offered a video consultation you will be sent a letter, email or text with details of your appointment. This communication will contain details of the service that has requested to see you by video and have provided a web address link. You can type or copy the web address link into a web browser via an internet enabled device and this will take you to the video clinic waiting area.

  • In order to access your virtual appointment, you will need:
  • Access to a device that will allow you to access the internet. You should use Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge web browser on a desktop or laptop, or on an Android tablet or smartphone or Safari web browser on an Apple iMac, MacBook, iPad, or iPhone.
  • Your device will need a webcam (camera), speakers and microphone.
  • A good internet connection (if you can watch a YouTube video, this is good indication that you have a good connection).
  • An internet usage plan that is sufficient to cover the data consumption of a video call – ideally use a Wi-Fi connection if you have this available.

Sixty two percent of those surveyed by YouGov in Mid and West Wales said they will continue to access NHS services using the new ways that have been introduced as a result of the pandemic. The new methods include making more use of pharmacists; virtual GP consultations and using the NHS 111 online and telephone services.

Continue Reading

News

‘Cautious optimism’ for county’s tourism sector – but clarity still needed

Published

on

‘GIVE us clarity’ is the overriding message from the County’s tourism and hospitality businesses as the sector looks forward with cautious optimism to another busy season.

In a meeting hosted by Preseli Pembrokeshire MP Stephen Crabb, thirty key local businesses were able to share their views with Paul Davies MS, Pembrokeshire County Council, the National Park and Visit Pembrokeshire.

The meeting focussed on the need for business support measures so long as uncertainty remains over the timetable for re-opening the economy in Wales.

Stephen Crabb said: “There is a lot of belief around that this summer will see another ‘staycation’ boom so long as the vaccination programme continues to make good progress and infection rates fall. Pembrokeshire has had a lot of national media coverage in recent months and could experience a bumper season but it’s crucial we get the re-opening right. There is a clear need for some kind of timetable to help businesses prepare appropriately and for clear rules to avoid confusion and contradictory messages.”

Paul Davies said: “It was a pleasure to hear from tourism businesses across Pembrokeshire about some of the challenges that they’re currently facing. The message was pretty clear – they want clarity from the Welsh Government and some timescales by which they can start to plan for reopening. I’ll certainly be taking back the concerns highlighted during the meeting and raising them with Welsh Government Ministers at the Senedd.”

Emma Thornton from Visit Pembrokeshire added: “Great to attend the Hospitality and Tourism Round table event today and to have the opportunity to discuss the ongoing challenges our industry faces over the coming months but also to share a collective optimism for what we believe will be a really strong year for tourism in Pembrokeshire when we are able to reopen and welcome our visitors back.

“Visit Pembrokeshire as the new Destination Management (DMO) for Pembrokeshire will be working closely with local stakeholders and businesses to help realise this opportunity in a sustainable and responsible way mindful of protecting what makes our beautiful county so special”

Stephen Crabb: Wants clarity for tourism businesses

Continue Reading
News4 mins ago

Cyclist killed on A40 was serving police officer, force confirms

A CYCLIST who died after a crash with a van on the A40 in Carmarthenshire was a serving police officer...

News7 hours ago

Police at scene of RTC – officers seeking witnesses

POLICE in Milford Haven are making door to door enquiries in the Great North Road area following an accident involving...

News1 day ago

Postmaster and politicians welcome Goodwick cash machine U-turn

GOODWICK post office will now be keeping its ATM, after a U-turn by Post Office Ltd. The machine was due...

News1 day ago

Judith Rhead murder: Police appeal to public for information

DYFED-POWYS POLICE can confirm it is appealing for information after the death of a 68-year-old woman from Pembroke Dock. Judith...

News1 day ago

Dale Morgan charged with murder of Judith Rhead, police confirm

DYFED POWYS POLICE have charged a man in connection with the alleged murder of 68 year old Judith Rhead who...

News3 days ago

Police investigate alleged rape of a child

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that a 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of raping a child in the south...

News3 days ago

Police confirm murder investigation underway following Judith Rhead’s death

THE POLICE have confirmed that the death of a woman, who died in Pembroke Dock on Saturday, is being treated...

News4 days ago

Deaths could be linked to salmonella in SFC chicken’s boneless buckets

THE FOOD STANDARDS AGENCY has issued an urgent warning about a chicken product sold in food stores across Wales. The...

News5 days ago

Pembroke Dock death being treated as suspicious, police confirm

POLICE  in Pembroke Dock are continuing to investigate the death of a woman in Market Street. A spokesman from Dyfed-Powys...

News6 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Police forensics team investigating death of woman in Market Street

THERE is a police presence in Pembroke Dock this evening as police, and forensics officers investigate the sudden death of...

Popular This Week