Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Local Government

Candidate who withdrew from Hakin race will still appear on ballot paper

Published

on

Election law means Labour hopeful’s name cannot be removed after nominations close

THE LABOUR candidate who withdrew from the Hakin county council by-election yesterday will still appear on ballot papers when voters go to the polls next month.

Nicola Harteveld announced she was stepping back from the race after nominations had already closed, meaning election officials are legally unable to remove her name from the ballot or allow Welsh Labour to nominate a replacement candidate.

The First Minister, Eluned Morgan MS, with labour supporters out campaigning for Nicola Harteveld on Saturday (Feb 21)

Under UK election rules, once the deadline for nominations passes and candidates are formally confirmed, the ballot paper is fixed except in very limited circumstances, such as the death of a candidate. Withdrawal after that point does not change the ballot.

As a result, Harteveld will remain listed as the Welsh Labour candidate for the Hakin ward when voting takes place on Tuesday, March 17, even though she is no longer campaigning.

The First Minister gave Nicola Harteveld her endorsement earlier this week in a social media video

Potential confusion for voters

One elector in the ward told The Herald the situation could lead to uncertainty at the polling station.

“This will cause confusion, and technically means she could still be elected, when in reality she doesn’t want to be,” the resident said.

Any votes cast for Harteveld will still be counted in the election result, as there is no mechanism to invalidate votes for a candidate who has voluntarily withdrawn after the close of nominations.

If a withdrawn candidate were to receive the most votes, further procedural steps could be required, potentially including a fresh election depending on the circumstances at that stage.

Background to withdrawal

Harteveld stepped back from the contest after reporting verbal abuse directed towards her son, in a development that also led to political controversy after the First Minister visited the ward to support her campaign on the same day she did not attend and later confirmed her withdrawal.

Because nominations had already closed by that point, Labour was unable to field another candidate, leaving the party without an active campaign presence in the contest.

Election context

The Hakin by-election was called following the death of long-serving Independent councillor Mike Stoddart.

The remaining active candidates are:

Derrick Abbott (Independent)
Sam Booth (Wales Green Party)
Lee James Bridges (Independent)
Duncan Edwards (Independent)
Brian Taylor (Welsh Conservative)
Scott Thorley (Reform UK)
Sam Warden (Welsh Liberal Democrats)

Polling stations across the ward will be open from 7:00am to 10:00pm on March 17.

 

Local Government

Pembrokeshire 2026-2027 council tax to rise by 4.6 per cent

Published

on

COUNCIL TAX in Pembrokeshire is to rise by 4.6 per cent, equivalent to an extra £76 for the average property.

At the February 20 special meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council members consider a previously Cabinet-backed recommendation for the setting of the 2026/27 council budget, with a council tax increase of 4.6 per cent, equating to an increase of £75.99 for the council part of the overall council tax bill for the average Band D property.

Last year, Pembrokeshire’s council tax increased by 9.35 per cent, lower than that year’s Cabinet recommendation of 9.85 per cent.

The overall council tax bill is made up of the county council element, the largest part, the Dyfed-Powys Police precept, and individual town or community council elements.

A report for councillors, presented by cabinet member for finance Cllr Alistair Cameron, recommending the 4.6 per cent rate, said a better-than-expected Welsh Government settlement for Pembrokeshire left a funding gap for 2026-27 of £14.7m for the overall budget.

It said: “The most significant cost pressure for the 2026-27 budget continues to be within Social Care, with a projected total increase in pressure of £12m for 2026-27 representing 42 per cent of the total council service pressures for 2026-27; and £30.5m across the remainder of the medium-term financial plan.”

It added: “Individual School balances continue to be a concern in the Medium Term with 47 of our 61 schools continuing to rely on their reserve balances to fund in year expenditure. This is not a sustainable position, with the current trajectory suggesting school balances will be in an aggregated deficit position by 2027-28.”

The budget included a year-on-year increase in the net budget for schools of £4.7m, Cllr Cameron said.

However, the budget pressure for individual school budgets was listed in the report at £6.7m, with some £2m of savings identified.

Members also heard an expected underspend in the current financial year’s budget, currently estimated at £4m, would be held in reserve to support any schools in difficulty.

Aside from the usual budget concerns it said a number of front-line services had been identified “which require investment to address fragile service levels and areas of concern” including: school improvement support for secondary schools causing concern; building maintenance to support the additional catch-up work required to corporate buildings; highways ‘beat gangs’ to support highway maintenance works; and additional highways gully maintenance.

Conservative Group leader Cllr Di Clements welcomed the “more realistic council tax increase” than previous years, stressing taxpayers needed “consistency from one year to the next,” adding: “I’m hoping that’s the end of very high council tax increases we’ve seen of late.”

Citing recent poor Estyn reports on some county schools, Cllr Clements asked for a “cast iron guarantee” that any surpluses from this year’s budget would be ring-fenced for any schools needing support.

Members backed the 4.6 per cent rise after a failed last-minute call for amendments to the budget made by Independent Group leader Cllr Huw Murphy – essentially aimed at reducing savings in the education budget – was defeated by 28 votes to 21, with one abstention.

The actual budget was backed by 34 votes to 16, with one abstention.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Former Neyland councillor banned from public office

Published

on

A FORMER Pembrokeshire town councillor has been banned from public office for three years following claims of bullying and harassment, the second banned from the same council in less than a month.

The Adjudication Panel for Wales received a referral from the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales in relation to allegations made against former Neyland town councillor Brian Rothero.

The referral was made in relation to four complaints received about his conduct.

“The allegations were that he had breached Neyland Town Council’s Code of Conduct by treating and/or communicating with the council’s clerk and fellow councillors in a manner which was suggestive of breaches of the Code including the need to treat others with respect and consideration, to not bully or harass any person, to not make vexatious, malicious or frivolous complaints and to not conduct themselves in a manner which could reasonably be regarded as bringing their office or authority into disrepute,” the panel’s report said.

It added: “The Case Tribunal determined its adjudication at a hearing which was convened by remote video technology on February 12. The Case Tribunal unanimously found that the councillor had acted in breach of the Code.

“The Case Tribunal concluded by unanimous decision that former Councillor Rothero should be disqualified from acting as a member for any relevant authority, as defined by section 49(6) of the Local Government Act 2000, for a period of three years.”

Last month another Neyland Town Council member, Councillor David Devauden, was banned from public office by The Adjudication Panel for Wales.

In that case for a period of four years for having breached the code by “repeatedly treating and/or communicating with the council’s clerk and fellow councillors in a manner which lacked respect and amounted to bullying and/or harassment,” he had “brought his office and/or the council into disrepute,” and “had failed to comply with the Public Service Ombudsman Wales’ requests in respect of her investigation into those matters”.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

First Minister left red-faced as Labour candidate pulls out during Hakin campaign visit

Published

on

Candidate says withdrawal follows ‘abuse’ towards candidate’s son and backlash over Withybush Hospital downgrade plan

THE FIRST MINISTER was left in the embarrassing position of arriving to campaign in the Hakin ward without an active candidate. Labour’s by-election hopeful withdrew from the race on the same day as a high-profile visit to support her campaign.

The visit had been organised to support Labour candidate Nicola Harteveld, but she failed to appear, leaving party activists canvassing in the ward without her and apparently unaware she was about to pull out of the contest.

Harteveld later confirmed she had been considering her position before announcing her withdrawal shortly afterwards.

The former Labour candidate confirmed she was stepping back from the Pembrokeshire County Council by-election following verbal abuse directed towards her youngest son, bringing an abrupt end to the party’s campaign after nominations had already closed.

The development meant Welsh Labour could not field a replacement candidate, leaving the party effectively without representation in the contest despite a scheduled campaign visit by First Minister Eluned Morgan MS and party activists.

First Minister: Eluned Morgan MS, made a video statement backing Nicola Harteveld on Thursday

‘Abuse’ towards child

In a video statement released on social media, Harteveld said the decision followed an incident in which her son was allegedly shouted at by two men while walking home from volunteering.

“My youngest was walking home… and two men on the opposite side of the road shouted across ‘tell your mother she’s a Labour loving c***’,” she said.

She said her son was “absolutely devastated” by the incident.

“My family comes first. I am not prepared to put them in the line of fire to be targeted because of something that I’m doing,” she added.

Final decision

Harteveld, who currently serves as a town councillor, said she had spent several days reflecting on whether continuing in the election was compatible with her personal values before the incident involving her son became “the final straw”.

“My morals, my views and my values will not allow me to take this by-election any further,” she said.

She explained that she had wanted to stand in order to take residents’ concerns directly to County Hall, rather than relying on others to represent them, and believed standing as a Labour candidate would have allowed her to raise issues more directly with decision-makers.

First Minister visit confusion

Earlier the same day, First Minister Eluned Morgan MS and Labour activists were canvassing in the Hakin ward in support of Harteveld, apparently unaware she was considering withdrawing from the race.

Campaign photographs were later shared on social media showing the First Minister and party members canvassing locally. However, observers quickly noticed the absence of the candidate herself, prompting repeated questions online about her whereabouts.

Multiple commenters asked “Where is the candidate?” beneath the post, with the situation attracting significant criticism from some social media users.

Shortly afterwards, Harteveld confirmed she was withdrawing from the election.

A post by the First Minister praising what she described as a “great response in Hakin for Nicola Harteveld & Welsh Labour” while also addressing concerns about Withybush Hospital services was later deleted after attracting a large number of comments, many of them critical of Labour and Welsh Government health policies.

Healthcare tensions backdrop

The by-election campaign has taken place against the backdrop of continuing anger across Pembrokeshire over decisions affecting Withybush Hospital, which Harteveld acknowledged had “rocked our community”.

She described personal experiences of travelling long distances for medical appointments with her partner, saying such situations contributed to frustration among residents.

The hospital controversy has become a dominant political issue locally, with strong emotions expressed during campaigning and on social media.

Political impact

Because Harteveld withdrew after the legal deadline for nominations closed, Welsh Labour cannot substitute another candidate. Her name may still appear on ballot papers depending on printing arrangements, although she is no longer campaigning.

The sequence of events left Labour campaigning in the ward without an active candidate and represents a significant setback for the party locally, particularly given the personal involvement of the First Minister in the visit.

Election background

The by-election, scheduled for Tuesday, March 17, was called following the death of Independent councillor Mike Stoddart, who had represented the Hakin ward for many years.

The remaining candidates are:

Derrick Abbott (Independent)
Sam Booth (Wales Green Party)
Lee James Bridges (Independent)
Duncan Edwards (Independent)
Brian Taylor (Welsh Conservative)
Scott Thorley (Reform UK)
Sam Warden (Welsh Liberal Democrats)

 

Continue Reading

Sport15 hours ago

Late heartbreak as Scotland snatch victory in Cardiff thriller

Wales 23 – 26 Scotland WALES suffered agonising late heartbreak at the Principality Stadium on Saturday (Feb 21) as Scotland...

Local Government17 hours ago

First Minister left red-faced as Labour candidate pulls out during Hakin campaign visit

Candidate says withdrawal follows ‘abuse’ towards candidate’s son and backlash over Withybush Hospital downgrade plan THE FIRST MINISTER was left...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire businesses ‘squeezed to breaking point’ amid economic pressures

MS highlights concerns from local firms as Wales employment figures lag behind UK BUSINESSES in Pembrokeshire are feeling increasingly squeezed...

News2 days ago

Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget

Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the...

Health2 days ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health3 days ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health3 days ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Business3 days ago

Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses

Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who...

Local Government3 days ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime4 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Popular This Week