Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

Tenby phone signal crisis goes national as businesses warn of summer disruption

Published

on

TRADERS SAY CARD PAYMENTS, TAXIS AND VISITOR SAFETY ARE BEING HIT BY ‘DEAD ZONE’ COVERAGE

TENBY’S long-running mobile phone signal crisis has become a national story, with businesses and visitors warning that poor coverage is now affecting card payments, taxi bookings and the town’s reputation as a major tourist destination.

The seaside town, one of Wales’ best-known holiday hotspots, has been named as having the worst mobile network quality in the UK, with consumer group Which? reporting that users in the SA70 postcode experience a good connection only 54.3 per cent of the time.

The problem has been made worse by the decommissioning of a local phone mast earlier this year, affecting O2, Vodafone and Three customers.

The Herald has repeatedly reported concerns from residents, traders and visitors, including more than 500 complaints gathered through a public appeal by Around Tenby and Tenby Chamber of Trade & Tourism.

Businesses say the issue is no longer just an inconvenience, but a serious trading problem.

Taxi drivers have reported missing bookings because messages cannot be answered in the town centre, while shops and hospitality venues say customers are sometimes unable to pay by card.

One Tenby taxi driver told BBC Wales that the town had become a signal “dead zone”, adding that he had begun warning customers that some journeys may have to be cash-only because card machines cannot connect reliably.

Retailers have also warned that tourists who cannot make a payment often say they will “come back later” — but never do.

The issue is particularly acute as Tenby prepares for the summer season, when tens of thousands of visitors can be in and around the town on busy days.

Pembrokeshire’s visitor economy is worth hundreds of millions of pounds a year, and Tenby remains one of the county’s flagship destinations.

But visitors interviewed by the BBC said they had struggled to call taxis, check the weather or keep in touch with work while staying in the town.

Some said the lack of signal would make them think twice about returning.

Mobile operators have apologised and said work is ongoing to find a solution.

O2 said the issue was linked to a decommissioned local mast and that Vodafone, its infrastructure partner, was working to locate and install a replacement. Vodafone and Three said they were exploring temporary options while working on a longer-term fix.

EE, which was not involved in the removal of the mast, said it was looking at ways to improve connectivity in Tenby and the wider area, including upgrades at an existing mast site in Penally.

Local MP Henry Tufnell has already written to telecoms operators demanding answers, after being told that the removal of the Slippery Back Lane mast had left parts of Tenby with very limited mobile signal.

Campaigners say the pressure is now on for a temporary fix before the height of the tourism season, rather than waiting months or years for a permanent replacement.

The Herald understands traders are continuing to gather evidence from residents, visitors and businesses to present to mobile networks.

For many in Tenby, the message is simple: a town that helps sell Wales to the world should not be left struggling to make a phone call.

 

Community

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

Published

on

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in Welsh waters.

Surfers, paddleboarders, swimmers and families gathered on the beach on Saturday, with banners calling for cleaner seas and an end to pollution incidents affecting rivers and coastal waters.

The protest was part of the Surfers Against Sewage campaign, with demonstrators carrying placards reading “Keep the sea clean”, “Stop the pollution” and “Cut the crap”.

Mid and South Pembrokeshire MP Henry Tufnell attended the demonstration and made a speech supporting calls for tougher action. He has also recently written to Welsh Water raising concerns about pollution and water quality in the Tenby area.

Henry Tufnell MP speaking at the protest (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

Local community councillor Jeff Tierney, who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, said he fully supported the campaign.

Cllr Tierney said: “As a surfer, local community councillor and someone who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, I fully support the Surfers Against Sewage campaign.

“We are lucky at Abereiddy our water is excellent, but it’s clear the water companies have failed to invest adequately in ageing infrastructure over the past decades, allowing unregulated sewage discharges, poorly maintained drains and outdated treatment systems to become the norm.

“The result is that some of the treatment works are completely overwhelmed with sewage now effectively bypassing the treatment process, resulting in some rivers and coastal areas at times becoming unsafe and hazardous for swimmers, surfers, fishermen and other water users.

Making a stand: Surfers, swimmers and campaigners gathered at Broad Haven beach to protest over sewage pollution in Welsh waters (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

“Clean water should not be viewed as a luxury. It’s essential for public health, tourism, local livelihoods and the environment.

“The more this issue is brought into the public domain to make the public aware and put pressure on Natural Resources Wales to do their job properly, the better.”

Campaigners said the issue is no longer just an environmental concern, but one affecting public health, tourism, local businesses and confidence in Wales’ coastal waters.

Broad Haven, like many Pembrokeshire beaches, is central to the county’s identity and visitor economy.

Saturday’s protest showed the strength of feeling among those who use the sea regularly and believe not enough is being done to protect it.

Making a stand: Surfers, swimmers and campaigners gathered at Broad Haven beach to protest over sewage pollution in Welsh waters (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

 

Continue Reading

Community

Cilgerran Church in Wales school discontinuation backed

Published

on

A CALL to discontinue a Pembrokeshire school has been backed by councillors despite 97 per cent of those responding to a recent consultation being against the change.

Last year, councillors backed a general consultation to discontinue Cilgerran Church in Wales Voluntary Controlled School, and to establish it as a 3-11 community school, the consultation closing earlier this year.

That consultation followed a review which “considered the extent of surplus school places in the area, set against a significant decline in the pupil population,” the council has previously said.

Hundreds opposed the proposed changes, with a petition on the council’s own website opposing the changes gaining 391 signatures.

During the consultation, 203 responses were received; 97 per cent (197 responses) against the proposal, with just 1.5 per cent (three) in favour.

Earlier this year, councillors heard from vice-chair of the school governors Gary Fieldhouse who said the loss of the Church in Wales status would be “a profound mistake,” the school’s association with the church “not symbolic but fundamental”.

Reverend John Cecil had told councillors the proposals were “fundamentally flawed,” with the school’s land legally in trust as a Church of Wales school, and change “essentially creating a new school with no premises to occupy”.

Following the ending of the consultation, a report was brought before the May 14 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council.

The report for members presented by Cabinet Member for Education and Welsh Language Cllr Guy Woodham, who moved approval, recommended the Director of Education be authorised to publish a Statutory Notice to discontinue Cilgerran Church in Wales Voluntary Controlled school and establish the same as a 3-11 Community School.

On the land issue, the report said: “The Authority acknowledges that the school site includes land owned by the Diocese. Should the proposal proceed, the change of school category would be subject to appropriate legal agreements to ensure continued occupation of the premises.

“No change would be implemented without resolving land ownership and occupation rights in accordance with statutory and legal requirements.”

The report concluded: “The consultation exercise has provided a valuable opportunity for statutory consultees and other interested parties to give their perspective on the proposal to discontinue Cilgerran Church in Wales Voluntary Control School and establish the same as a 3-11 Community School.

“While arguments were made against the proposal, together with a small number of supportive comments, officers remain of the view that this is the most appropriate option in the context of quality and future sustainability of educational provision.”

At the May meeting, Cllr Jamie Adams felt the push for the change was “seemingly pushing water uphill,” with the school performing well; adding: “I’m a bit confused, we’re trying to impose a decision on a community that doesn’t want it.”

Recently elected councillor Scott Thorley echoed that, saying: “97 per cent want to keep it a VC, I think we should respect that.”

Director of Education Steven Richards-Downes said it was “about long term viability in the area,” members hearing from officers Cilgerran had a 28 surplus in pupil spaces.

Members by 34 to 16, with two abstentions, back the discontinuation recommendation.

The statutory notice will trigger a 28-day objection period, an objection report being brought to a future council meeting for determination.

 

Continue Reading

Charity

Former Fishguard RNLI stalwart Roy Williams dies

Published

on

Lifeboat station pays tribute to ‘a true man of the community’

FISHGUARD RNLI has paid tribute to former volunteer Roy Williams following his death, describing him as a dedicated lifeboatman and respected figure within the local community.

The station announced the sad news on Friday (May 15), saying Roy had given many years of service to the RNLI in Fishguard, spanning several decades.

Roy served as a crew member and Second Mechanic at Fishguard Lifeboat Station from the 1950s through to the 1970s, helping to protect lives at sea during a period of significant change for the service.

In 1979, he took on the role of Honorary Secretary — a position now known as Lifeboat Operations Manager — and continued in the role beyond the naming ceremony of Fishguard’s current all-weather lifeboat, Blue Peter VII.

A 1972 County Echo feature, preserved by Fishguard and Goodwick local history group Hanes Abergwaun, described Cllr Roy Williams, of Commercial House, Goodwick, as the oldest serving member of the crew at that time, with nearly 20 years’ service.

The article said he was a native of Pencaer, an agricultural engineer by profession, Second Mechanic and radio operator on the lifeboat, and also active with the Wales Tourist Board, Fishguard and Goodwick Swimming Club, and Harmony Chapel, Pencaer.

Paying tribute, Fishguard RNLI said Roy had made an important contribution not only to the lifeboat station but to the wider community.

A spokesperson said: “Over the years as a councillor, lifeboat crew and other local clubs he truly was a man of the community.

“Our thoughts are with his family and friends during this time.”

As a mark of respect, the flag at Fishguard Lifeboat Station is being flown at half mast.

Roy is remembered as one of the dedicated volunteers whose commitment helped shape the RNLI presence in north Pembrokeshire over many years.

 

Continue Reading

Community16 hours ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health1 day ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government2 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News2 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business2 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community2 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News4 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News5 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News5 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

News5 days ago

Starmer fights for survival as Labour civil war erupts

Cabinet split, ministers resign and MPs revolt as pressure mounts on Prime Minister after disastrous election losses KEIR STARMER is...

Popular This Week