Connect with us


‘No case to answer’ for Yerbeston man



yerbestonTHE TRIAL of Lawrence James Goldsworthy from Yerbeston started with him wanting to revoke his early guilty pleas on Wednesday (Feb 11).

The 25-year-old told the court: “I believe that I am not guilty. I didn’t tell my solicitors how I was provoked.” He added: “I can give you a name of someone in prison that revoked his plea.”

The clerk to the justices told Goldsworthy that he had no power to re-open the cases, and the trial would go ahead.

The hearing at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court began by dealing with charges one and two out of five: The allegation that the defendant assaulted Stuart Jones and running off from a taxi without payment.

After solicitor for the defence Mike Kelleher heard that his client wanted to change his plea, told the court: “I don’t think I can continue to act for him. But if he wants to change his plea, clearly our instructions were that they were guilty pleas. I’m in an awkward position so I’m going to stand down.”

Even though Goldsworthy made an application for adjournment, Magistrates decided that the trial would continue. He then had to represent himself and cross examine the witness.

Prosecuting, Leslie Harbon told the court: “At 3am Goldsworthy was in Tenby looking for a taxi home. He was outside the Prince of Wales and asked Stuart Jones, the taxi driver, how much it would be to Preseli. They agreed on £25 and Goldsworthy jumped into the taxi. He then allegedly took out a £5 note and some change and asked if he could go and collect the money from his house. Upon arriving at his house, he told Jones that he was going to open the iron steel gate to his house. However, he jumped over the gate and began running down the lane. Jones followed in his taxi and was met by Goldsworthy who began attacking Jones and proceeded to smash his rear window.”

Jones was called down to the witness stand where he was examined by both the prosecutor and Goldsworthy.

Jones tells the court that they agreed on an amount, and upon reaching the gate and seeing Goldsworthy’s behaviour sat in the minibus thinking what he was doing. He drove down the lane and was faced with Goldsworthy and his vulgar language: “You’re on private property. I’m not f***ing paying you.”

Goldsworthy then pushed Jones with two hands on his chest. Jones told the court: “He tried to hit me but no punches actually hit me. As soon as he pushed me I got into the car.”

Goldsworthy then took the stand and began to cross examine Jones: “Did you threaten me on the way? Did you not call me a gypsy and say that my son was a gypsy? You were threatening to beat me up, and when I got out of the taxi I told you that I didn’t want you to come down the lane. How did you enter the property? You forcefully entered through the steel gate which was off its hinges. Did you force your way into the property with aggression?”

Jones answered; “No, I wouldn’t call it aggression.”

Jones denied touching Goldsworthy and told the court: “I didn’t touch you. I couldn’t understand what you were doing and next minute you’re running for leather down the road.”

Goldsworthy asked Jones: “You pursued me and that is why I picked up a stone because you were driving at 50 miles an hour down the lane trying to mow me down. You never gave me a chance to pay.”

After a brief period of adjournment, the Magistrates returned they told the court that there was no case to answer, clearing Goldsworthy of the two charges.

The defendants other three charges were adjourned March 4 in order for the probation services to prepare a report, he was released on the condition that he fully comply with the probation service. These charges were damaging Stewart Jones’ vehicle, running away from another taxi without paying and assaulting another officer.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Police and drugs advice service issue warning over ‘deadly batch’ of heroin



POLICE have asked the media to issue a warning over a batch of heroin.

The drug circulating in west Wales, first detected in Llanelli, is particularly dangerous, it has been confirmed.

“We are warning drug users to take extra care following reports of a particularly harmful batch of heroin circulating in the Llanelli area” said a Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson.

“We have reasons to believe some drugs being distributed and used in the Carmarthenshire area at present have been contaminated with other substances and could be extremely dangerous for anyone taking them.

“We would also appeal to drug users to seek medical attention immediately if they become unwell.

“Please share this information with anyone you believe could come into contact with these drugs.

”In an emergency or if you think someone’s life is at risk always dial 999.”

Earlier this week Barod, the drug and alcohol abuse service reported a dangerous and toxic heroin circulating in Pembroke Dock which a spokesperson described as being ‘potentially deadly’.

To comes as Public Health England issued a formal alert about the risks of heroin containing fentanyl or carfentanyl.

The warning reads: “There is significant evidence from a small number of post-mortem results of recent drug user deaths and from police seizures that some heroin may contain fentanyl or carfentanyl added by dealers.

“These are highly potent synthetic opioids and very small amounts can cause severe or even fatal toxicity.

“Those of you in contact with heroin users should be alert to the increased possibility of overdose arising from heroin cut with these synthetic opioids, be able to recognise possible symptoms of overdose and respond appropriately.”

The fentanyls are a group of synthetic opioids; some have legitimate uses while others are illicit drugs.

Fentanyl is about 100 times more potent than morphine and is a licensed medicine used to treat severe and terminal pain. Carfentanyl is 4,000 – 10,000 times more potent than morphine and principally used as an animal tranquilliser.

Continue Reading


Tenby’s famous walrus ‘Wally’ has been spotted again



TENBY’S most famous marine animal has been spotted again after fears she had been scared away.

Wally was spotted on Friday evening by the seaside town’s Lifeboat station.

Thought to be a two-year-old male, the walrus’s return comes after it was feared she had been disturbed by people flocking to catch a glimpse of her and “getting too close”

The animal has attracted hundreds of people to the seaside town now that the travel restrictions with Wales have been lifted to coincide with the Easter school holidays.

Wally was last seen on Monday, but  members of the public were warned it was in the animal’s “best interests” to be “left alone” as much as possible and they were urged to “avoid the temptation to get near and disturb” her.

A joint statement was issued by the RSPCA, Tenby harbour master Chris Salisbury, Welsh Marine Life Rescue, Tenby lifeboat coxswain Phil John, British Divers Marine Life Rescue, Natural Resources Wales and CSIP Marine Environmental Rescue said that they were concerned to hear that people had tried to get close by using personal watercraft or paddle and surfboards.

Continue Reading


Police plan to deter badly behaved youths from gathering in Tenby



POLICE in Tenby responded to community concerns over antisocial behaviour and groups of between 15-20 youths gathering and clashing over the Easter bank holiday weekend. They moved the youths on, seized alcohol from them and stopped matters escalating when there were clashes between the groups. And they have a clear message ahead of this weekend – there will be extra police patrols and presence in Tenby, including on the trains, so this type of behaviour won’t be tolerated.

Dyfed-Powys Police officers used powers under the Antisocial Behaviour Act to disperse groups of youngsters meeting to drink alcohol in and around Tenby, many of whom had travelled by train to the area to meet up.

Based on these scenes from last weekend, plans are in place as part of a joint operation with Pembrokeshire County Council licensing officers and British Transport Police, to address and prevent any further gatherings.

A Section 34 Order is in place covering Tenby, which allows officers to move people out of the area and prevent them from returning for up to 48 hours.

Sergeant Stuart Wheeler said: “Following last weekend we had some concern from the community of Tenby, due to antisocial behaviour related to the groups of youths from Pembroke, Pembroke Dock and Tenby, and subsequently those groups clashing. Alcohol consumption by these youngsters was a factor.

“Proactive action was taken, and we are keen to avoid a repeat of this behaviour this weekend, and have therefore put plans in place. Additional resources have been allocated, which will allow us to respond quickly and prevent matters from escalating.

“Tenby Neighbourhood Policing Team and response officers, will be carrying out high visibility patrols in the area, covering areas known to be popular with youngsters. Pembrokeshire County Council licensing officers will be assisting us in ensuring youngsters can’t buy alcohol in the area by visiting shops and reminding them of the laws around selling alcohol, and if they bring it with them it will be seized. And our colleagues in British Transport Police will be patrolling the train network to prevent problematic groups getting to Tenby by train.”

Police are also appealing to parents and carers to know where their children are, and what they are doing.

Sergeant Wheeler added: “We would like to appeal directly to parents to be aware of where their children are, and prevent them from gathering in large groups. This type of behaviour is distressing for people living and working in Tenby, and we are urging you to be accountable for your children’s actions.

“We understand that the past few months have been difficult, and that children want to see their friends, but remember that only 6 people from 2 households can meet outdoors still. Please do your best to ensure they are adhering to regulations that are in place for all our safety.”

Continue Reading
News13 hours ago

Police plan to deter badly behaved youths from gathering in Tenby

POLICE in Tenby responded to community concerns over antisocial behaviour and groups of between 15-20 youths gathering and clashing over...

News1 day ago

Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, dies aged 99

The Duke of Edinburgh, the Queen’s ‘strength and stay’ for 73 years, has died aged 99. Prince Philip’s health had...

Health1 day ago

Covid-19 restriction relaxations in Wales brought forward

THE WELSH GOVERNMENT will be accelerating elements of its programme to relax Covid-19 restrictions as cases of new infections continue...

News2 days ago

Inquest into death of Judith Rhead adjourned pending murder inquiry outcome

THE INQUEST into the death of a murdered Pembroke Dock woman was opened and then adjourned on Thursday (Apr 8.)...

News2 days ago

Jail over wounding and chisel charges

A PEMBROKE DOCK man convicted of wounding with intent, and possession of a chisel in a public place, has been...

News2 days ago

Lola’s inquest adjourned due to police investigation

THE inquest into the death of local toddler Lola James who tragically died after sustaining a severe head injury was...

News3 days ago

Where’s Wally: Has Tenby Walrus disappeared for a quiet life?

TENBY’S most famous visitor, Wally The Walrus, has disappeared after being repeatedly disturbed by members of the public getting too...

News3 days ago

Weatherman Walking TV series visits Pembrokeshire

DEREK BROCKWAY is back exploring Wales’ coast and in the second episode of the new series of Weatherman Walking: The...

News4 days ago

RNAD Trecwn could be ‘ticking time bomb’ says Greenpeace

BUILT just before World War II RNAD Trecwn, during its working life, was used to store and distribute various munitions...

News4 days ago

Valero shutdown contractors ‘put at risk’

THE HERALD has been contacted by employees at a local firm working at a local oil refinery have been told...

Popular This Week