Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Brothers sent to prison after sustained attack

Published

on

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 13.40.17TWO brothers were sent to prison on Wednesday (Feb 3) after assaulting a female by beating.

Elliot Jack Lewis, aged 20 and Nyle Shaun Lewis, aged 24 of Stranraer Road in Pennar Pembroke Dock, appeared at the court for a trial after pleading not guilty to the charge.

However, they pleaded guilty ten minutes before the trial was due to start.

Vaughan Pritchard-Jones of the Crown Prosecution Service said: “The complainant was in an on and off relationship with Nyle, and had moved in together in September 2015. The incident occurred two months later.

“The victim had an affair, and Nyle didn’t want to let her forget that. She had attended a party with him on November 28, and had drank a lot of alcohol. She left at midnight, walked home alone and went to bed.

“The next thing she remembered was that Nyle was in her bedroom pulling the covers off her. She said his face was red and screwed up, and he was shouting and angry. He said ‘You’ve messaged him again. I’ve been through your phone’.”

The court heard how Nyle took the phone into the bathroom with him, locking the door behind him. He proceeded to read out messages that had been sent between the complainant and the person she had been having an affair with, and demanded he give her back her phone.

Mr Pritchard-Jones continued: “The next thing she remembers is Nyle taking his temper out on things. He ripped a 40” TV from a wall bracket and threw it on the floor. This made her feel scared. He continued to swipe items from shelves and smash her belongings, including a birthday flute she received for her 21st birthday.

“The complainant also owns a 5ft driftwood tree, which she cannot lift by herself. The court heard how Nyle managed to pick this up and throw it down the stairs. She says these are typical actions when he gets angry.”

Mr Pritchard-Jones said: “The next distinct and vivid memory she has, is of Nyle pulling her hair with such force that it felt like her scalp was on fire. He pulled her down the stairs by her hair on hands and knees. She was stumbling down the stairs, and she pleaded with him saying ‘let me go’ but he wouldn’t. She remembered he kept calling her a liar.”

Nyle’s younger brother, Elliot arrived, and refused to leave when told to get out. Nyle claimed that the only reason they had got back together was because she wanted his money to buy Christmas presents, and that he had paid for most of the items in the house.

“Elliot grabbed the hood of her hooded top and dragged her out of the house,” said Mr Pritchard-Jones, “and pulled her so hard that she was struggling to breathe. She tried to scream but couldn’t, and was worried she was going to pass out.

“She then tried to pull the neck of her hooded top down, but could only manage to get a few fingers in between.”

He continued: “She could hear Nyle shouting leave it, and Elliot pulled her outside and ran back in the house. She says she thought ‘This is my house, and I’m not going to be locked out of my own house’.

“She went to the back door and then to the front. Nyle saw her, grabbed her hair and pulled her back in, and the argument continued.”

A neighbour who heard the ongoing argument attended the property, and tried to get the Lewis brothers to leave. They didn’t listen, and proceeded to go upstairs with the complainant.

Nyle began questioning her about the messages he had seen on her phone, when Elliot pushed her on the bed. The court heard how she went into the fetal position as Elliot straddled over her, with his legs either side, and repeatedly punched her.

“She can’t remember how many times he hit her,” said Mr Pritchard-Jones, “but she managed to deflect some of the blows, which resulted in injuries on her arms. She doesn’t know why he stopped, but he got off.”

After the incident, the complainant felt extremely angry, and attempted to retaliate. Nyle stopped her from advancing, and grabbed her by the wrists, therefore she headbutted him twice.

Her neighbour persuaded them to leave and took them away in her car. Mr Pritchard-Jones said: “The aggravating features are the level of injuries, it’s the top end of the common assault, and it’s two men versus one woman.

“She was drunk, and wasn’t in a position to defend herself.” Photographs of her injuries were shown to the court, which showed her to have two black eyes, and multiple cuts, grazes and bruises scattered around her body.

Defending Nyle, Matthew Greenish of Red Kite Law said: “Nyle had come back because his medication was there, and Elliot attended. Nyle accepts he took his frustrations out on the property, and a scuffle broke out.

“Incidents have taken place, and Nyle grabbed her to stop her hitting Elliot, and she headbutted him twice. It takes two to tango, or in this case, three. Nobody is innocent and nobody has the blame on their door.

“The use of excessive force was to get his tablets. He accepts in hindsight he should have dealt with it differently. He is a pleasant young man.”

Michael Kelleher, defending Elliot, said: “The photographs are extremely serious, and when Elliot saw them he gasped. Incidents like this happen quickly and you don’t see the consequence until after. However, there’s nothing more than bruises.

“The lady’s version of events is difficult to read, as she couldn’t remember bits because of intoxication. Elliot was going in to restrain her so Nyle could get his medication.”

After hearing this, Mr Pritchard- Jones exclaimed: “To say they were going to get his medication is nonsensical and ludicrous.”

The victim’s statement was read to the court, where she described how she is fearful to be in her own home, and has been staying at a different address since the incident.

She explained that she was embarrassed to go into work and knew that people were looking at her and feeling sorry for her. She said that her world had been turned upside down, and said: “I have never seen Nyle with so much hate. I didn’t deserve to be assaulted.”

After listening carefully to all the evidence, Magistrates sent both men into immediate custody for 23 weeks. They must also pay £400 compensation each to the victim, and £80 victim surcharge each.

A restraining order was also put in place.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Launch of Haverfordwest Castle Conservation Management Plan

Published

on

MEMBERS of the public are being asked to help shape the future of Haverfordwest Castle as a draft Conservation Management Plan (CMP) is launched.

One of Pembrokeshire’s most important historical assets, the Castle is owned by Pembrokeshire County Council, which has produced the CMP.

The plan:

▪ sets out the significance of the castle and describes how the building will be protected with any new use, alteration, repair or management; 

▪ will help with the planning of maintenance, conservation and repair work and adaptation of the site to meet new or changing uses; 

▪ will help promote understanding of the site and look at improving public access and activities for local people and visitors; 

▪ will support proposals to conserve the castle and adaptations of the site in response to climate change; 

▪ and underpin funding applications to support improvements

An engagement exercise has been launched alongside the Plan, giving members of the public with an interest in the historic and/or environmental significance of the castle an opportunity to comment on the document and share their views.

To take part in the engagement exercise, please click on the following link: 

https://haveyoursay.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/regeneration-communities

The deadline for responses is Sunday, March 28, 2021.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Natural Resources Wales approves Ireland-UK interconnector licence

Published

on

GREENLINK INTERCONNECTOR LIMITED says it welcomes the decision by Natural Resources Wales (NRW) to approve its application for a Marine Licence for the Greenlink electricity interconnector project, which will link the power markets of Great Britain and Ireland.

An important project for Pembrokeshire, and the UK as a whole, NRW’s go-ahead is one of several consents required for the construction of the project and covers installation of the marine cable in UK waters.

The approval is a major milestone for Greenlink and joins the onshore planning consents granted unanimously in July last year by Pembrokeshire County Council and Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority.

Greenlink’s proposed 190km subsea and underground electricity cable will run beneath the Irish Sea to connect National Grid’s Pembroke Power Station in Wales and EirGrid’s Great Island substation in County Wexford, Ireland. It will have a nominal capacity of 500 MW.

The Wales-Ireland link is just one of four interconnectors being installed

Nigel Beresford, CEO for Greenlink Interconnector Limited, said: “We are delighted by Natural Resources Wales’s decision to grant this licence. This marks a significant milestone for Greenlink and another important step towards project construction, which we expect to commence later this year.

“The Greenlink team has worked constructively with Natural Resources Wales and Welsh marine stakeholders to find workable solutions to the many technical and environmental challenges facing a large infrastructure project like this, and this has been reflected in the quality of the final proposal.

“The thorough environmental and technical assessments we have undertaken, supported by the practical and value-adding feedback we have received from key marine stakeholders, have ensured that we move forward confident that we are delivering a well-designed project with the interests of the Welsh marine habitat at its core.”

The subsea section of the cable will be approximately 160km in length and uses high voltage direct current (HVDC) technology. The preferred route and installation methods were chosen following the conclusion of subsea surveys and consultation with key stakeholders.

In Ireland, a Foreshore Licence application was submitted to the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government (Foreshore Unit) in 2019 and the onshore planning application was submitted to An Bord Pleanála in December 2020.

Greenlink is one of Europe’s most important energy infrastructure projects and brings benefits on both sides of the Irish Sea for energy security, regional investment, jobs and the cost-effective integration of low carbon energy. The project will offer important local supply chain opportunities and plans are being drawn up for ‘meet-the-buyer’ events in the local area prior to construction.

Once fully consented, Greenlink is expected to have a three-year construction programme, with commissioning planned by the end of 2023.

Continue Reading

News

Appeal from Fire and Rescue Service to install working smoke alarms

Published

on

AT 01:17am this morning, Tuesday, March 2, 2021, crews from Milford Haven were called to a property fire in the Hakin area of Milford Haven.

The fire was confined to a pan on a stove in the kitchen area and extinguished by firefighters using two breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera.

Crews also ventilated the property and fitted smoke alarms within the property.

The Fire Service left the incident at 02:00am.

Watch Manager Alun Griffiths, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said “This fire was the result of cooking left unattended. It is so important to remove all pots and pans from a heat source when you are called away from the cooker.

“Thankfully, the occupiers of the property managed to exit the property before our firefighters arrived, but it could have ended very differently as there were no smoke alarms fitted in the property.
“I cannot stress enough the importance of installing working smoke alarms in your homes and testing them regularly. In the dreadful event of a fire, they can alert you to the danger sooner and could mean the difference between life and death.

“As a Fire and Rescue Service, we provide Home Fire Safety advice which is free of charge. We also offer Safe and Well Visits which you can arrange by phoning us on 0800 169 1234 or by visiting the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service website.”

For further Home Fire Safety advice or to talk about the possibility of a Safe and Well Visit by Fire and Rescue Service personnel, please phone us on 0800 169 1234.​​​ Alternatively please complete an online Request a Safe and Well Visit​ form on the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service website: https://www.mawwfire.gov.uk/eng/your-safety/in-your-home/

Continue Reading
Business1 day ago

Natural Resources Wales approves Ireland-UK interconnector licence

GREENLINK INTERCONNECTOR LIMITED says it welcomes the decision by Natural Resources Wales (NRW) to approve its application for a Marine...

News2 days ago

Milford Haven: Apocalyptic scenes as work truck catches fire in Meyler Crescent

A MILFORD HAVEN businessman says that he is “absolutely gutted”, after he lost his tipper truck in a dramatic fire...

News5 days ago

Covid-19 vaccination venues and timeline announced for everyone locally over 50

EVERY person in JCVI priority groups 5 to 9 will be offered a COVID-19 vaccination by 18 April, Hywel Dda...

News5 days ago

Cyclist killed on A40 was serving police officer, force confirms

A CYCLIST who died after a crash with a van on the A40 in Carmarthenshire was a serving police officer...

News6 days ago

Police at scene of RTC – officers seeking witnesses

POLICE in Milford Haven are making door to door enquiries in the Great North Road area following an accident involving...

News7 days ago

Postmaster and politicians welcome Goodwick cash machine U-turn

GOODWICK post office will now be keeping its ATM, after a U-turn by Post Office Ltd. The machine was due...

News7 days ago

Judith Rhead murder: Police appeal to public for information

DYFED-POWYS POLICE can confirm it is appealing for information after the death of a 68-year-old woman from Pembroke Dock. Judith...

News7 days ago

Dale Morgan charged with murder of Judith Rhead, police confirm

DYFED POWYS POLICE have charged a man in connection with the alleged murder of 68 year old Judith Rhead who...

News1 week ago

Police investigate alleged rape of a child

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that a 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of raping a child in the south...

News1 week ago

Police confirm murder investigation underway following Judith Rhead’s death

THE POLICE have confirmed that the death of a woman, who died in Pembroke Dock on Saturday, is being treated...

Popular This Week