Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembrokeshire projects hit the jackpot

Published

on

VC Gallery: Will receive nearly £5000 in lottery funding

VC Gallery: Will receive nearly £5000 in lottery funding

NEWLY released figures show that more than £1 million of National Lottery funding was awarded across Pembrokeshire in the last year alone.

82 Lottery grants were given out in Pembrokeshire during 2015; providing a vital boost to arts, sports and heritage projects alongside community groups helping those most in need.

A wide variety of local projects received National Lottery grants last year, including:

  • £5,000 to Llandissilio and District Kids Club to purchase gardening and outdoor play equipment to run healthy living sessions for the children attending the club. This grant was for sessional staff costs, three iPads and cases, wellies and gardening tools, cookery utensils, seeds and plants, a garden shed, training courses and two bikes.
  • £5,000 to Milford Haven RFC to upgrade the heating and plumbing system of their community venue with a gas condensing combi boiler, new radiators and pipework
  • £4,882 to The VC Gallery in Haverfordwest to run art, multi-media and photography workshops. This grant was for art materials and canvases, photography materials, a sessional worker, exhibition costs, framing, transport, publications and promotion, stationery and venue hire.

From today, these examples, or any organisation that has ever received National Lottery funding, have the possibility of gaining nationwide acclaim by entering The National Lottery Awards 2016.

National Lottery Awards winners will receive a £3,000 cash prize and national recognition at a glittering ceremony broadcast on BBC One in October.

John Barrowman, presenter of last year’s National Lottery Awards show, said:

“The National Lottery Awards offer an unmissable opportunity to give outstanding projects their time to shine. If you can think of a great Lottery-funded project, please nominate them for an Award.”

“All these fantastic projects are funded by National Lottery players – every one of you should feel proud to raise an astounding £34million a week, which provides much needed support to such life-changing work.”

National Lottery Awards are given across seven categories; Sport, Heritage, Arts, Environment, Health, Education and Voluntary/Charity, to reflect the range of funding that the Lottery gives out.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Education

Delight as foundation phase learners return to class

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE Headteachers have reported very positive returns to school for Foundation Phase Learners.

All Foundation Phase Learners returned to schools on Monday, March 1st and attendance has been reported at almost 90% since.

The Council’s Director for Education, Steven Richards-Downes, said: “A wide range of council services have worked together to ensure that Foundation Phase pupils have been able to return
safely to school.

“I am particularly grateful to all school staff and families for ensure that learning is now available for our youngest learners face to face.”

Headteachers remarked how schools have filled with smiles and laughter following the safe and phased return of Foundation Phase learners.

Cora O’Brien, Headteacher at Waldo Williams School in Haverfordwest emphasised how quickly learners have settled back in to a routine.

“It has been an absolute joy to hear their laughter in the playground and to observe their love of learning face to face once again. I thank everybody in the Waldo Williams School
community for working so hard to ensure that the transition went smoothly.”

Vicky Hart-Griffiths, Headteacher of Ysgol Hafan y Mor in Tenby, said: “It has been wonderful to welcome all our Foundation Phase learners back to school. They are thriving, being amongst
friends and back to a school routine.  

“All the pupils have spoken about how happy they are to have returned and it’s an absolute pleasure to welcome them back and we can’t wait until we have all our pupils back in school.

“The school feels alive again and there’s a positive buzz and laughter once again echoing throughout the school.”

Gareth Lewis, Headteacher at Broad Haven CP School said children had returned “with real enthusiasm, and have been very keen to meet up with their friends.”

Mr Lewis added: “Our parents have been very supportive and positive about the return, and those with older children are very much looking forward to a wider return to schooling.”

Mr Richards-Downes said plans were now turning to more learners returning to schools in the near future.

“We are looking to the next phases of the re-opening of schools on the 15th of March as long as the government guidelines allow.”

Further details will be released in due course.

Continue Reading

News

Pembrokeshire County Council: This week’s Leader’s coronavirus update

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Friday, 5th March as follows:

‘Welcome everyone to my weekly update.

“It is with rather a heavy heart that I tell you that it’s almost 12 months since my first statement on the coronavirus pandemic.

“On 9th March 2020, I addressed our Cabinet meeting with the following words:

“Further to the news yesterday that two people in Pembrokeshire had tested as positive for the Covid 19 virus, I am sure you will join me in wishing them both a speedy and full recovery.

“I can reassure you that our services will continue as usual, and all our employees can continue to attend to their work, appointments, schools and services as they normally would.

“We should all help protect ourselves and our communities by following Public Health Wales advice, particularly around washing hands and using a tissue for symptoms associated with cold and flu and then safely disposing of it.

“I am grateful to the co-operation and hard work of all of our staff and we will provide further updates and information when we have them.

“In the meantime I can confirm that detailed planning arrangements, both internally, with partner agencies and through the Dyfed Powys Local Resilience Forum, are well underway to ensure that the Council and Pembrokeshire are as well placed as possible for whatever challenges we may face. Thank you.”

“I am sure you will join me while I take a moment now to remember all those people in Pembrokeshire and further afield, who, very sadly, passed away since I made that announcement.

“I continue to be incredibly grateful, as I’m sure you are, to everyone who is helping to beat this pandemic, working so very hard now for over a year.

“We are fortunate now to be in a position where the vaccine programme is protecting older members of our community and starting to roll out among one of the biggest groups – the over 65s and those with underlying health conditions.

“This time next week (12th March) the Welsh Government will have notified us of their plans for the next three weeks.

“In the meantime, we remain in Alert Level 4 and the stay at home message continues to be more important than ever as we reach the threshold of better times.

“I wish you all a good weekend and thank you once again to the vast majority of wonderful Pembrokeshire residents who are doing the right thing and waiting patiently at home for restrictions to lift.

“We do really appreciate your efforts and determination to help bring this pandemic to an end.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Sergeant Hillier ‘died doing the job he loved’, says his heartbroken father

Published

on

THE ARMY SERGEANT who died after being injured in a live firing exercise, has been named locally.

The incident occurred at Castlemartin Training Area, and led to the death of Sgt Gavin Hillier, who was in the Welsh Guards.

In a post on social media, his father wrote: “Absolutely devastated to be writing this post, probably the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.

“At 3.45am this morning I received a phone call that will forever change my life. My eldest son Gavin Mark Hillier was in a fatal accident yesterday in the army (the job he loved).

“Sleep tight & rest in peace son. I’m so proud of you. Goodnight and god bless, love your heartbroken dad.”

An Army spokesperson said: “It is with great sadness we can confirm the death of a soldier on March 4.

“Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this tragic time.

“The circumstances surrounding this death are being investigated and it would be inappropriate to comment any further.”

It is understood that Sergeant Hillier, who served as part of the Welsh Guards’ motor transport platoon, was due to be deployed to Iraq and had previously been awarded a Long Service and Good Conduct medal by Prince Charles, the regiment’s Colonel in Chief, in 2019.

The tragic incident is the latest in a number of accidents at Castlemartin.

In 2017, The Herald reported that two soldiers died in a tank explosion, which a coroner ruled was due to a design flaw.

The following year, an Army captain was jailed in July 2018 after a 21-year-old soldier was killed by a stray bullet during an exercise at the range in 2012.

An investigation has been launched into the death of a soldier at Castlemartin RAC Range following a military exercise.

Police were called to the site at just before 10.45pm on March 4.

Sadly, a man was pronounced dead shortly after. Our thoughts are with his family, who have been informed of the incident and are being supported by specialist officers.

An investigation is underway led by Dyfed-Powys Police. Officers are liaising with the Health and Safety Executive and MoD.

Continue Reading
News16 hours ago

Sergeant Hillier ‘died doing the job he loved’, says his heartbroken father

THE ARMY SERGEANT who died after being injured in a live firing exercise, has been named locally. The incident occurred...

News1 day ago

Welsh Guards sergeant shot dead during Castlemartin live-fire training exercise

A BRITISH ARMY sergeant was killed on Thursday night (Mar 4) in a shooting accident at Castlemartin Training Area, The...

Business2 days ago

Hospitality sector welcomes Budget boost

IT HAS been so long it seems since we could stand at a bar and enjoy a well-earned pint, but...

News2 days ago

Milford Haven-bound ‘flying oil tanker’ hits the national news

A MILFORD HAVEN bound oil tanker has made the national news, after a photograph taken off the Cornish coast made...

News3 days ago

Trial date for son accused of killing mum

THE SON of Judith Rhead, 68, who was found dead in her home in Market Street, Pembroke Dock on Feb...

Business4 days ago

Natural Resources Wales approves Ireland-UK interconnector licence

GREENLINK INTERCONNECTOR LIMITED says it welcomes the decision by Natural Resources Wales (NRW) to approve its application for a Marine...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven: Apocalyptic scenes as work truck catches fire in Meyler Crescent

A MILFORD HAVEN businessman says that he is “absolutely gutted”, after he lost his tipper truck in a dramatic fire...

News1 week ago

Covid-19 vaccination venues and timeline announced for everyone locally over 50

EVERY person in JCVI priority groups 5 to 9 will be offered a COVID-19 vaccination by 18 April, Hywel Dda...

News1 week ago

Cyclist killed on A40 was serving police officer, force confirms

A CYCLIST who died after a crash with a van on the A40 in Carmarthenshire was a serving police officer...

News1 week ago

Police at scene of RTC – officers seeking witnesses

POLICE in Milford Haven are making door to door enquiries in the Great North Road area following an accident involving...

Popular This Week