Connect with us


Hospital records blunder did not cause death



Inquest: Milford Haven Town Hall • Pic: Gareth Thomas

Inquest: Milford Haven Town Hall • Pic: Gareth Thomas

AN INQUEST into the death of 49-year-old Peter Francis Jones from Holloway in Haverfordwest was held at the Coroner’s Court in Milford Haven on Tuesday (Feb 2).

Acting Coroner’s Officer Gareth Warlow said that Mr Jones had never been married, but had one son.

The deceased had attended Milford Haven Central School and went on to work in electrical shops for the majority of his life. Before he opened his own business – Connect Appliance Repairs in Haverfordwest – in 1995, Mr Jones was a heavy drinker. The opening of his shop however saw his issue with alcohol come to a halt.

As Mr Jones got older, his health deteriorated and problems with his spine meant that he was in and out of hospital and prescribed Morphine.

In the last few months of his life, Mr Jones’ family and friends noticed that his stomach began to swell.

On May 15, 2015, Mr Jones collapsed while in Haverfordwest and was taken to Withybush Hospital. He had consumed a large amount of alcohol, he had vomited and he was unresponsive.

As there were no beds available at Withybush, so Mr Jones was transferred to Prince Philip Hospital in Llanelli. He was then transferred back to Withybush some days later.

Discharged on May 22, Mr Jones was told that he would receive a letter to attend an ultra-sound appointment to diagnose the swelling of his stomach. Due to the fact he was unhappy with his treatment, Mr Jones put in a letter of complaint to the hospital.

On May 26, Mr Jones went to see his doctor because he was concerned about his swollen stomach. He was told to change his lifestyle and to wait for the ultra-sound appointment. The doctor also prescribed Mr Jones anti-depressants and gave him pain relief.

That evening, Mr Jones went to bed as normal with his close friend, whom he was staying with. When she woke at 6am, she noticed that Mr Jones’ breathing was raspy, before it became erratic. She checked his pupils to find that they were very small and therefore called the emergency services.

Mr Jones was taken to A&E, where his health deteriorated, and he was pronounced dead at 7.10am on Wednesday, May 27.

Mr Jones’ mother, Margaret Jones, spoke at the inquest. She discussed the fact that she was unhappy that her son arrived at Prince Philip Hospital with no medical papers, so doctors were only able to deal with the situation based on what they were told and what was before them.

Mrs Jones also handed pictures over to the coroner to highlight her son’s swelling.

Daniel Hauser, who conducted a postmortem of Mr Jones’ body on May 28, spoke at the Coroner’s Court.

Mr Hauser said that Mr Jones was “very healthy person for his age.” He said that there were no major concerns while he conducted the external exam and commented that there were no signs of swelling.

He added that there was nothing out of the ordinary inside Mr Jones’ body as his body was in “very good condition” with “no major findings.”

Mr Hauser then read out a toxicology report, which highlighted the presence of Morphine and Diazepam.

He read that the level of morphine was of a concentration which had caused death in past cases and said the combination with Diazepam could have contributed to his death.

He said: “The postmortem revealed no obvious cause of death I would be happy to give as a cause of death, but the statement of the toxicology report reads that the level of Morphine has been associated with fatality. I believe it was the combined effect of drugs which caused his death.”

Coroner Gareth Lewis came to the conclusion that Mr Jones’ death was drug related and stated that while his parents were rightly concerned about his swelling, it did not cause his death.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Alec Don resigns as Chief Executive of Port Authority



MILFORD HAVEN PORT AUTHORITY has confirmed that Alec Don, Chief Executive, is ‘stepping down’ from the role.

The Port said that with the support of a great team Alec has set a vision for the business, securing planning consents for the development of Milford Waterfront and establishing Pembroke Dock Marine as a core component of the Swansea Bay City Deal.

In a statement the Port said: “The business has been shepherded through some challenging times, with the closure of Murco, but it has a strong balance sheet and is now more than ready to proceed with a phase of substantial investment and growth.”

Commenting on the resignation Chris Martin, Chairman of the Port, said: “Alec is a person of the highest integrity and is one of the Port’s and the region’s greatest advocates.  We have in front of us a fantastic opportunity to develop the Port’s position in some exciting new markets and this change gives us the opportunity to refresh and develop our skill sets to take the organisation forward into the next phase of its development.  For his part Alec has himself expressed the wish to seek new and fresh challenges.  I personally have greatly enjoyed working with him and we all wish him well for the future.”

Alec Don said in an official statement: “It has been nothing but a privilege and honour to work for the Port of Milford Haven and I most genuinely wish the Board and all colleagues at the Port every success going forward.  For my part I feel more than ready for a new challenge and look forward to the future with relish.”

The Port said they would not comment further on the development.

Alec Don has been the Chief Executive of the Port since 2010.

Continue Reading


Mount Estate: Man arrested after gas explosion threat



Armed police: In the Mount Estate (pic. Herald)

ARMED POLICE have arrested a man on the Mount Estate in Milford Haven this afternoon (Oct 16) after responding to reports of a man who is threatening to set a fire using the gas supply in his flat.

The windows of the first floor flat, in Birch Mead, were smashed and a man was shouting to officers below threatening to cause an explosion.

Threatening: To cause an explosion (pic. Herald)

A Herald reporter at the scene had counted at least a dozen Dyfed-Powys Police vehicles, including vans and undercover cars.

Nearby residents have been evacuated and a cordon has been set up.

Emergency services: Gathered by the flat (pic. Herald)

Police asked residents and a Herald reporter at the scene to move back further after the arrival of the armed officers.

Mid & West Wales Fire and Rescue, as well as specialists from the gas board, are also at the scene.

Watching: Locals were evacuated (pic. Herald)

A large crowd has gathered by the cordon.


Armed officers: Locals were asked to move back upon their arrival (pic. Herald)

Continue Reading


Work goes on for NRW in aftermath of storm



AFTER a weekend of heavy rain and floods which hit South West Wales particularly hard, the clear up has begun.

For Natural Resources Wales officers this means inspecting flood defences and other assets to assess and repair any damage caused by the high river levels and volumes of water.

Jeremy Parr, NRW Head of Flood and Incident Risk Management said:

“Our sympathies go out to anybody impacted by these floods and Storm Callum, it is an unwelcome reminder of the damage that severe weather can do.

“While some communities were significantly affected, for many the flood defences did their job and reduced the worst of the impacts.

The weekend storm caused 80 properties to flood across south west Wales and led to major disruption of businesses and transport across the whole of the country.

The River Teifi at Llandysul reached its highest level since records began in 1971 and the Towey above Carmarthen was at its highest since 1987.

NRW officers were on duty around the clock ensuring defence structures were sound, operating flood gates, erecting temporary defences and clearing trash screens.

In Abergwili, in the Tywi Valley, the flood gates were closed and prevented flooding despite the water level rising to within 180mm of the top of the gate, just short of the evacuation trigger of 150mm.

More people than ever visited NRW’s website to check the latest flood warning information. Before and during Storm Callum NRW’s flood pages received more than half a million-page views, while warning and informing messages on social media reached over 110,000 people.

Jeremy added: “After any major flooding event there are lessons to be learned and Storm Callum is no exception, so we will review what took place and how we responded to identify where improvements can be made.

“As is usual after any flood event, we now have our people out and about checking our defences for any damage, and to ensure they can continue to help protect people and property.”

“We won’t just look at the flood defence network, but also at our incident response and our warning and informing before, during and after the incident.

“While there were significant impacts in some areas, the initial indications are that these elements worked well.

“We will be working with our partners in local government and the emergency services to ensure we continue where possible to reduce the impacts of incidents like this.”

Continue Reading
News19 mins ago

Alec Don resigns as Chief Executive of Port Authority

MILFORD HAVEN PORT AUTHORITY has confirmed that Alec Don, Chief Executive, is ‘stepping down’ from the role. The Port said...

News20 hours ago

Mount Estate: Man arrested after gas explosion threat

ARMED POLICE have arrested a man on the Mount Estate in Milford Haven this afternoon (Oct 16) after responding to...

News22 hours ago

Work goes on for NRW in aftermath of storm

AFTER a weekend of heavy rain and floods which hit South West Wales particularly hard, the clear up has begun....

News1 day ago

Police appeal following five burglaries

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for information that could help their investigation into five burglaries in the Solva and St Davids areas....

News2 days ago

Milford Haven: Rescuers attend to ‘females on roof’

POLICE have been dealing with a 999 call from the Mount Estate, Milford Haven this evening (Oct 15), following concerns...

News2 days ago

Letterston: Man jailed after £10,000 blackmail plot

A LETTERSTON man tried to blackmail £10,000 from a man who had sexual activity with him when they were both...

News2 days ago

Police say ‘stop protecting’ murder suspect Steve Baxter

JUST over two weeks ago Simon Clark, aged 54, was found dead at Grove Caravan Park in Pendine, Carmarthenshire. Dyfed-Powys...

News2 days ago

Pembrokeshire man drowned in stormy Cardiff waters

A PEMBROKESHIRE man tragically drowned in the stormy waters at Penarth Marina near Cardiff on the weekend. The 32-year-old, who...

News3 days ago

Police name Carmarthenshire man killed by Storm Callum landslide

DYFED-POWYS POLICE has confirmed the man who died in a landslide at Cwmduad during Storm Callum yesterday (Oct 13) is...

News4 days ago

Police urge for only ‘essential travel’ during Storm Callum

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is urging people not to put themselves at risk, as they deal with the fallout of Storm Callum....

Popular This Week