Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sport

Weightlifters bid for Games place

Published

on

games placeWELSH ATHLETES will have another chance to put themselves in the frame for a place at the Commonwealth Games with a qualifying event in Pembrokeshire this weekend.

The Welsh Closed competition will take place at Haverfordwest’s new Strength Academy Wales this Saturday, based at the Sir Thomas Picton Leisure Centre.

Open to all Weightlifting Wales members aged 18 and over, the event will also see the return to action of World junior medallist Darius Jokarzadeh.

Super Heavyweight Darius became the first British junior medallist at World level for 18 years last year. The 19 year-old finished fourth overall in the 105kg+ category at the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) event in Peru, but his 215kg lift in the clean and jerk gave him a lift bronze.

It is his first competition back on home soil since moving to the USA to study medicine as part of an American Football scholarship.

Another lifter looking to put themselves in the frame for Glasgow 2014 is former Commonwealth gold medallist Michaela Breeze.

Weigh in is at 9am, with first lift at 11am.

Weightlifting Wales Performance Director Simon Roach said: “We’re edging closer to Glasgow and the turn of the year brings added spice to the event as our athletes look to show their potential to be part of Team Wales.

“This is the biggest showcase of the sport we’ve held at Strength Academy Wales and is the kind of event we hoped to see held here when we developed the facility in partnership with Pembrokeshire Leisure.”

The event is open to the public. Entry fee is adults £5 and £2 for those aged 16 and under.

For more information visit www.weightliftingwales.co.uk and follow @WelshWeightLift on Twitter for updates.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Nigel Owens hosts virtual rugby quiz for Pembroke Panthers

Published

on

PEMBROKE Panthers RFC enjoyed a rugby return during lockdown after winning a competition which saw international referee Nigel Owens host their own virtual clubhouse quiz, thanks to Principality Building Society.

The women’s squad at the Pembroke club beat more than 1000 entries to win Principality’s Clubhouse Quiz competition. With many clubs affected by widespread flooding at the start of this year and now closed indefinitely due to coronavirus, the building society is continually looking for ways to support grassroots rugby clubs in Wales.

Pembroke Panther Lucy Neale, 30, entered her team with the hope of bringing the players together online. She said: “We’d usually see each other up to five times a week between training sessions, matches and socials, so it’s been a really strange time. I thought I’d enter the club thinking it would be a nice pick-me-up for us all, but never actually expected to win so it was an amazing surprise.”

The team were tested on their rugby knowledge by world cup referee Nigel Owens over video conferencing platform Zoom, where players won tickets to Welsh internationals at Principality Stadium, signed rugby shirts and balls, and tickets for a tour around Principality Stadium. The quiz included a guest appearance from former Welsh international Tom Shanklin.

Lucy continued: “It was such a memorable and special evening for us all. We’re usually quite a lively bunch but we behaved well for Nigel. We’re so thankful to Principality for putting on the quiz and allowing us to enjoy this once in a lifetime experience as a team.”

As sponsors of Principality Stadium and the National Youth Leagues for grassroots clubs in Wales, Principality has a strong relationship with the Welsh Rugby Union and knows how much rugby means to communities across the country. With matches on hold currently, the building society wanted to be able to bring the buzz of the clubhouse to the home.

Clubhouse Quiz host, Nigel Owens, said: “Principality’s Clubhouse Quiz was a fantastic way to bring one team closer together and Pembroke Panthers really showed off their rugby knowledge. Rugby plays such an important role in Welsh communities and I know they’ll be missing the action on the field right now, so it was lovely to have been part of this experience to bring this team together. Thankfully, I didn’t have to sin bin any of them either.”

Julie-Ann Haines, Chief Customer Officer at Principality Building Society, said: “Many rugby clubs across Wales have had a really difficult year, with flood damage to pitches and clubhouses now followed by coronavirus. This was our chance to recreate the camaraderie of the clubhouse for one team and we hope that it brought plenty of laughs and memorable moments for Pembroke Panthers at this challenging time.”

Continue Reading

News

Wales v Scotland postponed

Published

on

WALES’ Six Nations match at home to Scotland on Saturday has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The two other Six Nation fixtures had already been postponed and no date has been confirmed to complete the 2020 Championship.

The Welsh Rugby Union had insisted earlier on Friday the game would “go ahead as planned”.

A WRU statement read: “The Welsh Rugby Union has maintained an open dialogue with, and continued to seek advice and direction from, the National Assembly for Wales and other stakeholders, including the Six Nations, on this fast-moving issue.

“Whilst medical advice remains consistent, we have decided that it is in the best interests of supporters, players and staff to fall in line with recent measures taken across the UK and global sports industries.

“The WRU would like to thank all parties for their counsel on the subject and will make further announcements with respect to rescheduling the fixture in the coming days.

“Every effort has been made to stage this game and we appreciate that individuals will have been inconvenienced. Given the fluid and unprecedented nature of this issue a postponement became the only viable option.”

Continue Reading

News

Domestic football at all levels in Wales suspended

Published

on

THE FOOTBALL Association of Wales has today (13 March) taken the decision to suspend domestic football at all levels in Wales with immediate effect until April 4 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

The intention at this time will be to resume the football schedule depending on the medical advice and conditions from the relevant authorities at that time.

The FAW is fully aware of the impact this will have on the domestic game but the health and safety of all fans, players, volunteers and stakeholders are of paramount importance.

The FAW will continue to monitor this situation on a day-by-day basis and will continue to provide updates when appropriate.

Continue Reading
News20 hours ago

Pembroke Dock: Lorry driver fined for driving whilst disqualified

A LORRY driver has been fined after getting behind the wheel only three months after being disqualified from driving. Gary...

News2 days ago

Local MP’s concern at re-opening of Mc Donald’s Drive Thrus

A LOCAL MP has expressed his concern regarding the planned re-opening of the Mc Donald’s Drive Thru in Haverfordwest. Stephen...

News2 days ago

Amphetamine worth £22,500 found in car at Pembroke Dock

Two men who claimed to have driven from Cardiff to Pembroke Dock for a cleaning job were found to have...

News1 week ago

Message stays the same: Please do not visit Pembrokeshire this bank holiday weekend

With another Bank Holiday weekend on the horizon, visitors and second home owners are again being urged not to travel...

News1 week ago

Nigel Owens hosts virtual rugby quiz for Pembroke Panthers

PEMBROKE Panthers RFC enjoyed a rugby return during lockdown after winning a competition which saw international referee Nigel Owens host...

News1 week ago

How Wales created 19 new field hospitals in less than 8 weeks…

Across Wales the Welsh Government is supporting the NHS to create new field hospitals and rapidly increase bed capacity. Health...

News1 week ago

Pembrokeshire County Council leader’s coronavirus update, May 20th

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Wednesday, 20th May, as follows: ‘Once...

News2 weeks ago

Social care workforce praised

Cllr Tessa Hodgson, Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Social Services, has expressed her gratitude to all members of the...

News2 weeks ago

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader’s coronavirus update 18th May

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Monday, 18th May, as follows: ‘Normally...

News2 weeks ago

Tributes paid to coronavirus response at first cabinet meeting

Members of the Pembrokeshire County Council Cabinet met remotely for the first time today, Monday 18 th May. The meeting...

Popular This Week