Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

New Welsh medium school approved

Published

on

countyhallIN AN Extraordinary Council meeting on Thursday, (Apr 21). Pembrokeshire County Council agreed on a site for the proposed 3-16 Welsh school in Haverfordwest.

The new school is planned to be located at Withybush opposite the Lost Coins pub on the main roundabout connecting Fishguard and the north of the county with Haverfordwest via the A40 and neighbouring the roundabout which connects Haverfordwest with the north and east of the county on the B4329.

Concerns were expressed by councillors that the location of the proposed school had been announced after the consultation period had ended and that parents of potential parents at the new school were unable to make the assessment.

Cllr Tom Tudor read a letter from a parent on St Thomas Green who would like her son to attend a Welsh Medium School but due to their own disability would be unable to walk their child to school, while school transport would not be a viable option for a five year old.

Cllr Jamie Adams confirmed that nine sites had been considered and repeated his untrue assertion that the Tasker-Milward site was unavailable because charity trustees would not support the location of a purely Welsh Medium school on the site.

That misstatement was picked up upon by Cllr Bob Kilmister who told councillors that the truth was that the Council had made a complete mess of the schools consultations as a result of incorrect advice given to them at the outset by Council officers.

Cllr Mike Evans expressed his concern that the new provision was not being located where most of the drive for separate welsh language provision was coming, in the south of Pembrokeshire.

He poured scorn on Jamie Adams’s attempts to misquote his own words back to him by way of response and expressed his continued concern that the Cabinet member for Education appeared to be unable to answer straight questions without assistance from the officer sitting next to her.

Cllr Evans eventually extracted a satisfactory answer from Cllr Perkins after repeatedly enquiring whether sixth form Welsh Medium Education would be offered in the future at the school.

Cllr Perkins eventually and after much prompting, managed to explain that it was an option but that the Council could not be bound to the location of such provision at this point, although there was sufficient land available for the Council’s money to provide such a facility.

Cllr David Bryant quoted a rumoured price of £1m for the purchase of the land and asked for confirmation that was the sum involved.

Cllr Jamie Adams replied that he would not disclose the purchase price for reasons of commercial sensitivity. It was forcefully pointed out by David Bryant that councillors were being asked to sign a blank cheque for the purchase of the land.

Council then had to move into private session to be told the price of purchasing land to be owned by the public with public money for the building of a school to be financed by the public.

After a short interval, the webcast resumed and the public debate continued.

However, the cat was effectively let out of the bag by an intervention from chair Wynne Evans, who warned Cllr Jacob Williams at a later stage in the debate when he quoted a £1m purchase price for the land.

Councillors were repeatedly reassured by Cllr Adams and – occasionally by Cllr Perkins – that everything was legal and above board and there were no legal issues regarding the consultation and that all schools potentially affected had been contacted and consulted, although Cllr Perkins appeared unable to substantiate a claim that parents had been consulted on the school’s location.

While councillors overwhelmingly voted in favour of the plan going to further consultation – there will now be a formal objection period for further observations and responses – a considerable number of councillors expressed misgivings about costs and the transport issue, to suggest that the next stage will be anything but smooth.

After the meeting, Bethan Williams, Cymdeithas yr Iaith’s area officer for Dyfed said: “Now that a site has been designated for a 3-16 Welsh school in Haverfordwest, the plan is a step closer, and the need for Welsh provision needs to be addressed elsewhere in the county.

“The report before councillors today recognises the fact that many areas have been added to the catchment area of the proposed new school, as a strategy for Welsh education is lacking in those areas.

“What the Council needs to do is move all schools in the county along the linguistic continuum gradually, with the aim that all schools are Welshmedium over time. That way, no one would be deprived of an education in Welsh.”

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

Published

on

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in Welsh waters.

Surfers, paddleboarders, swimmers and families gathered on the beach on Saturday, with banners calling for cleaner seas and an end to pollution incidents affecting rivers and coastal waters.

The protest was part of the Surfers Against Sewage campaign, with demonstrators carrying placards reading “Keep the sea clean”, “Stop the pollution” and “Cut the crap”.

Mid and South Pembrokeshire MP Henry Tufnell attended the demonstration and made a speech supporting calls for tougher action. He has also recently written to Welsh Water raising concerns about pollution and water quality in the Tenby area.

Henry Tufnell MP speaking at the protest (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

Local community councillor Jeff Tierney, who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, said he fully supported the campaign.

Cllr Tierney said: “As a surfer, local community councillor and someone who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, I fully support the Surfers Against Sewage campaign.

“We are lucky at Abereiddy our water is excellent, but it’s clear the water companies have failed to invest adequately in ageing infrastructure over the past decades, allowing unregulated sewage discharges, poorly maintained drains and outdated treatment systems to become the norm.

“The result is that some of the treatment works are completely overwhelmed with sewage now effectively bypassing the treatment process, resulting in some rivers and coastal areas at times becoming unsafe and hazardous for swimmers, surfers, fishermen and other water users.

Making a stand: Surfers, swimmers and campaigners gathered at Broad Haven beach to protest over sewage pollution in Welsh waters (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

“Clean water should not be viewed as a luxury. It’s essential for public health, tourism, local livelihoods and the environment.

“The more this issue is brought into the public domain to make the public aware and put pressure on Natural Resources Wales to do their job properly, the better.”

Campaigners said the issue is no longer just an environmental concern, but one affecting public health, tourism, local businesses and confidence in Wales’ coastal waters.

Broad Haven, like many Pembrokeshire beaches, is central to the county’s identity and visitor economy.

Saturday’s protest showed the strength of feeling among those who use the sea regularly and believe not enough is being done to protect it.

Making a stand: Surfers, swimmers and campaigners gathered at Broad Haven beach to protest over sewage pollution in Welsh waters (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

 

Continue Reading

Health

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Published

on

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances

PEMBROKESHIRE patients are likely to be asking what a major NHS shake-up means for the future of hospital services closer to home after a new regional health body formally took over planning across south west Wales.

Health chiefs this week confirmed that regional working has formally transferred from ARCH (A Regional Collaboration for Health) to the South West Wales Regional Joint Committee (RJC), bringing together Hywel Dda and Swansea Bay university health boards under a new leadership structure.

The move is being presented by NHS leaders as a way to improve coordination, reduce waiting times and strengthen specialist healthcare across the region.

Key programmes expected to continue under the new body include cancer care, stroke services, vascular treatment, orthopaedics, pathology and eye care.

But for many in Pembrokeshire, the announcement may trigger familiar concerns about whether “regional working” could eventually mean more services being delivered further east, requiring patients to travel longer distances to Carmarthen or Swansea.

Withybush Hospital remains fiercely valued by local communities, and previous changes to hospital services have often sparked strong public reaction.

For patients in more rural parts of Pembrokeshire — including St Davids, Fishguard, Newport, Crymych and Tenby — access to healthcare can already involve journeys of 40 to 60 miles or more for appointments and treatment.

While health officials insist the new structure is about improving care and making better use of expertise across the region, questions are likely to be asked locally over how Pembrokeshire’s voice will be represented in decisions affecting frontline services.

Among the issues patients may want clarified are whether services currently provided at Withybush could be affected, how travel difficulties for rural communities will be considered, and whether the new regional approach will improve care locally or lead to greater centralisation.

The Regional Joint Committee replaces ARCH, which since 2015 brought together Swansea Bay University Health Board, Hywel Dda University Health Board and Swansea University to support healthcare innovation and service planning.

Health leaders say the new committee will continue to support research, technology and partnership working, while involving patients and communities in shaping services.

But in here Pembrokeshire, many will this plan weaken Withybush, not strengthen it.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Man used vulnerable victim’s bank card at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A 41-YEAR-OLD man has been given a suspended prison sentence after using a vulnerable man’s bank card at Tesco Extra in Milford Haven.

Mark Anthony Hambrook, of Keeston, admitted fraud by false representation when he appeared before magistrates.

The court heard that Hambrook dishonestly used the card on April 29, 2025, spending £220.

Magistrates said the offence crossed the custody threshold because it involved a breach of trust, a vulnerable victim, and was committed while Hambrook was on post-sentence supervision.

He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months.

Hambrook was also ordered to pay £220 compensation, together with a £154 surcharge and £85 costs.

 

Continue Reading

Community7 hours ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health20 hours ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government2 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News2 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business2 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community2 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News4 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News5 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News5 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

News5 days ago

Starmer fights for survival as Labour civil war erupts

Cabinet split, ministers resign and MPs revolt as pressure mounts on Prime Minister after disastrous election losses KEIR STARMER is...

Popular This Week