Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

New way to work from home

Published

on

new wayHOME-BASED office work is a large and growing part of the west Wales economy. Consultants, writers, professionals of all shades are moving to rural areas to work remotely. But it can be lonely.

Indycube is a new way to work from home and still have a sociable office with colleagues and even a board meeting room. It’s a multi-work station office where individual enterprises can book space as needed, and benefit from the equipment and company, and a good place to invite colleagues and clients. Many solitary workers get cabin fever, and miss the stimulus of a sociable working environment. This could be the answer.

On Monday, February 3 an Indycube space will be launched in Narberth at PLANEDs business site. The first Indycube opened in Cardiff in 2010, since then centres have opened in Newport Gwent, Ebbw Vale, Swansea, Cwmbran, Port Talbot and Cardiff Bay with 200 free-lancers, organisations and small businesses working in them at any one time. But Narberth is the first in a rural county, and the first in 2014.

Helen Murray, Chief Executive of Planed, said:

“We are very pleased to use the facilities on our Narberth site to provide opportunities for businesses in local communities to network, grow and benefit from each other. We look forward to working closely with Indycube who have enabled this growing Welsh phenomenon to come to Pembrokeshire.”

Mark Hooper, Indycube founder, said:

“Since Indycube was established in 2010, we have expanded rapidly to offer those working from their homes or with no business base, the opportunity to professionalise their operation.

“The new site in Narberth will give entrepreneurs the chance to operate in an environment where there’s always someone available to bounce ideas off”.

The facility in Narberth is the latest in the trend towards greater co-operation that is taking off in west Wales, it is part of our answer to recession, depression, and corporate hegemony.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Pembroke Dock: Lorry driver fined for driving whilst disqualified

Published

on

A LORRY driver has been fined after getting behind the wheel only three months after being disqualified from driving.

Gary Phillip Blackman, from County Meath, was transporting food worth 75,000 Euro in a HGV when he arrived at Pembroke Dock Port.The 56-year-old was stopped by Dyfed-Powys Police officers in Kilgetty on Wednesday, May 29.

The roads policing unit was carrying out checks as part of Covid-19 legislation operations when they received information that the driver had made his way into Wales.Checks showed the driver was listed as Blackman, who had been disqualified for six months in February.His identity was confirmed by a mobile fingerprint device, and he said he had been informed he was disqualified but disputed it as he had not received a postal notification of the court result.

Blackman was arrested on suspicion of driving while disqualified and with no insurance, and was charged later that day. He appeared at Swansea Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, May 28, where he was issued with a fine and costs totalling £239.

Continue Reading

News

Local MP’s concern at re-opening of Mc Donald’s Drive Thrus

Published

on

A LOCAL MP has expressed his concern regarding the planned re-opening of the Mc Donald’s Drive Thru in Haverfordwest.

Stephen Crabb MP said that it is an issue which is certain to ‘divide public opinion’.

Posting on his Facebook page, the Preseli Pembrokeshire MP said: “I am a big fan of McDonald’s but I have some concerns which I have discussed with their regional management. Firstly, there is not a lot of room for cars there so I would be concerned if a congestion problem is created in the car park and at the junction with the Merlin’s Bridge roundabout. I also raised the issue of littering which is something I know they have worked hard to reduce in the past.

They have assured me they will be doing at least 3 daily litter picks around the site and picking up all litter – not just their own wrappers which have been chucked away.

I was pleased to hear they have a clear plan for protecting staff and will be sticking to all Welsh Government guidelines. I think they will need to keep things under review but, if they can re-open safely and with the support of staff and customers, I think that’s a positive thing.”

McDonald’s will reopen all of its 1,000 restaurants in the UK and Ireland for drive-through or delivery by 4 June, as it returns to trading after the coronavirus shutdown.

The fast food chain reopened 33 of its drive-throughs in south-east England last week.

McDonald’s said all remaining branches would reopen between Tuesday and Thursday next week. It will announce which Golden Arches branch is reopening only on the morning that service is resuming in order to manage demand.

The burger chain is trying to avoid a repeat of its experience in France and Switzerland, where advance notice of drive-through reopenings led to queues of up to seven hours in some locations.

The company said it was working with local authorities and police in the run-up to the reopenings in the UK and Ireland after almost two months’ closure.

McDonald’s, along with its competitors Burger King, KFC and Nando’s, have been trialling phased reopenings of their restaurants, with increased safety measures.

Staff at McDonald’s are protected from customers by perspex screens installed at the drive-through windows, and from their colleagues inside the restaurant’s kitchens. The company has introduced physical distancing inside the restaurants, including floor markings in each branch.

Continue Reading

News

Amphetamine worth £22,500 found in car at Pembroke Dock

Published

on

Two men who claimed to have driven from Cardiff to Pembroke Dock for a cleaning job were found to have amphetamine worth around £22,500 in their car.

Dyfed-Powys Police officers stopped the men while patrolling the arterial routes around the town as part of Covid-19 operations on Tuesday, May 26.

When asked by police if their journey was essential, the pair said they were on their way to carry out some cleaning work. When prompted for more information, they were unable to provide further details, raising officers’ suspicions about their motive for travelling more than 100 miles.

The Citoen C2 was searched, with 7g of amphetamine and 15g of cannabis found in the front. Further searches uncovered a block of amphetamine weighing over 2kg. The street value is estimated to be around £22,500.

The men – aged 22 and 37 – were arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply. The 37-year-old driver was also arrested on suspicion of driving while unfit through drugs.

Both have been released under investigation pending further enquiries by CID officers.

Pembrokeshire Superintendent Ross Evans said: “This is an excellent example of proactive policing being carried out in the division, with people outside the area being challenged over unnecessary travel.

“This seizure has prevented a large amount of the class B drug amphetamine from entering the supply chain in Pembrokeshire.

“Drug dealers are taking a gamble with trying to bring large amounts of illegal substances into the area, and we have seen numerous arrests for possession with intent to supply in recent weeks.”

Continue Reading
News10 hours ago

Pembroke Dock: Lorry driver fined for driving whilst disqualified

A LORRY driver has been fined after getting behind the wheel only three months after being disqualified from driving. Gary...

News1 day ago

Local MP’s concern at re-opening of Mc Donald’s Drive Thrus

A LOCAL MP has expressed his concern regarding the planned re-opening of the Mc Donald’s Drive Thru in Haverfordwest. Stephen...

News1 day ago

Amphetamine worth £22,500 found in car at Pembroke Dock

Two men who claimed to have driven from Cardiff to Pembroke Dock for a cleaning job were found to have...

News1 week ago

Message stays the same: Please do not visit Pembrokeshire this bank holiday weekend

With another Bank Holiday weekend on the horizon, visitors and second home owners are again being urged not to travel...

News1 week ago

Nigel Owens hosts virtual rugby quiz for Pembroke Panthers

PEMBROKE Panthers RFC enjoyed a rugby return during lockdown after winning a competition which saw international referee Nigel Owens host...

News1 week ago

How Wales created 19 new field hospitals in less than 8 weeks…

Across Wales the Welsh Government is supporting the NHS to create new field hospitals and rapidly increase bed capacity. Health...

News1 week ago

Pembrokeshire County Council leader’s coronavirus update, May 20th

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Wednesday, 20th May, as follows: ‘Once...

News1 week ago

Social care workforce praised

Cllr Tessa Hodgson, Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Social Services, has expressed her gratitude to all members of the...

News2 weeks ago

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader’s coronavirus update 18th May

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Monday, 18th May, as follows: ‘Normally...

News2 weeks ago

Tributes paid to coronavirus response at first cabinet meeting

Members of the Pembrokeshire County Council Cabinet met remotely for the first time today, Monday 18 th May. The meeting...

Popular This Week