Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Paramedic’s ‘nasty assault’ is ‘tragic’

Published

on

Justin Chilvers: Likely to lose his job after ‘nasty’ assault

A PARAMEDIC who assaulted a woman appeared at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday (Mar 15).

30-year-old Justin John Chilvers, who now lives in Reading, initially pleaded not guilty to the charge and arrived at Haverfordwest Law Court prepared for a trial, however pleaded guilty at the last minute.

The court heard that on October 22 last year, Chilvers had gone out in the evening with a female, along with eight other friends, who all consumed alcohol.

Prosecuting, Vaughan Pritchard- Jones, said that Chilvers had over ten pints that night, and is also on anti-depressants. The complainant said she had over a bottle of wine and five double vodkas.

Mr Pritchard-Jones explained: “This was a nasty assault. It was around 3-4am, the morning after their night out. There was a lock in at the RAFA Club in St Davids. The defendant became involved in a confrontation with another man, and the complainant and one other person ended up outside.

“Chilvers asked the complainant to walk away, but she didn’t want to because she had left her bag inside. However, she walked down an alleyway with him.”

Mr Pritchard-Jones went on to say that Chilver started ‘having a go’ at the victim, saying she hadn’t supported him when he had been confronted in the nightclub, and she just ‘stood by’.

“The next thing she remembers,” said Mr Pritchard-Jones, “he pushed her hard and she fell to the ground. He kicked her to the leg and upper body, and she felt a number of blows coming in, but she couldn’t say where they were coming from or what they were with.”

He continued: “She was pulled back up to her feet and they moved further down the alleyway. He pushed her over again, and he got on top of her, placed his hands around her neck and began to strangle her.”

The court heard that the victim said when Chilvers stopped, he looked like he was in ‘complete shock’, as if he ‘couldn’t believe what he had done’.

Mr Pritchard-Jones said she then started walking in front of him back to the club, and when she got a bit of distance between them, she ran. He ran after her, and rugby tackled her to the floor, causing grazing injuries.

It was at that point that people came out of the RAFA Club and the assault stopped.

Mr Pritchard-Jones said: “The defendant admitted putting his hand around her throat, and said he did it inside the pub to bring her outside for her own protection. He admitted kicking but only once.”

Photographs of the victim’s injuries were shown to the court, which depicted multiple bruises on both sides of her neck, her shoulder and her leg.

Mr Pritchard-Jones described these as ‘nasty’ bruises.

The victim’s statement was read out to court, in which she said she now feels too scared to go out after dark. Her mother has had to take two weeks off work to support her, and her father has also had to have time off.

She said she feels worried and anxious, and has difficulty sleeping. However, she said she wishes Chilvers ‘all the best’, and hopes he ‘learns from his mistakes and has a good life’.

Speaking in Chilvers’ defence, Paul Gilmartin told the court that Chilvers was attacked by three men that night before this incident, which was an unprovoked attack. He claimed that the victim had tried to intervene, and Chilvers got hold of her and ‘pulled her out’.

He also said that after the assault, when she decided to go back to the club, Chilvers felt she shouldn’t have gone back ‘for her own good’, which is why he brought her ‘to the ground’.

Mr Gilmartin said: “He accepts full responsibility and shouldn’t have behaved in that way. Chilvers has come from a very difficult family. Other members of his family have found themselves on the wrong side of the law, but Chilvers has taken a different path. But, his past was there to catch up with him.”

He also told the magistrates that Chilvers will now likely lose his job as a paramedic, and is contemplating joining the military.

After being asked to choose a financial penalty rather than a community order or custodial sentence, the chair of the bench said: “We have taken an unusual step of not going for reports.

“We consider this a category two offence, which is very serious. This is quite tragic. You will probably lose your job. You as a paramedic must have seen the effects of alcohol and drugs.”

Chilvers was ordered to pay a £720 fine, £72 victim surcharge, £350 prosecution costs, and £1,000 compensation to the victim.

A restraining order was also imposed, which restricts Chilvers from contacting the victim directly or indirectly, or entering Pembrokeshire at all.

Continue Reading

News

Marloes pensioner in child abuse images case

Published

on

A PENSIONER has been bailed to attend Swansea Crown Court by magistrates sitting in Haverfordwest Law Courts this week.

Derek Lister, 72, of Marloes is accused of making indecent photographs of children.

He appeared before the bench, on Tuesday (Apr 13).

Lister was represented by Redkite Solicitors.

The court heard that between June 2009 and November 2019 in Marloes, Pembrokeshire, Lister allegedly created 3 indecent category A images of a child, 14 indecent category B images of a child and 152 indecent category C images of a child.

He will now appear at Swansea Crown Court on May 11 at 10am for the next hearing after the local court declined jurisdiction.

Lister has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

Continue Reading

News

Primary school teacher described as ‘touchy-feely’ on day two of trial

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher, accused of sexually assaulting his pupils was “very touchy-feely”, Swansea Crown Court heard on the second day of his trial.

James Oulton, 34, of Haverfordwest would put his hands around students’ waists and touch their bottoms, an ex-female pupil said in a video interview played to Swansea Crown Court.

The defendant denies 30 charges of sexual assault at a primary school in Haverfordwest. The alleged offences took place between 2012 and 2018.

On the opening day of the trial, court heard that Oulton said the case was a “witch-hunt” and that he always behaved appropriately with children.

On Tuesday, the jury watched the video interview with one of Oulton’s former pupils, who said he was a “friendly person, very chatty and sociable and quite outgoing and wanted to know everything that was going on.”

She added: “Mr Oulton often wanted to know a lot of details on what we had done over the weekend, where we had been, and also who they had been with.”

“At the time I just thought he was trying to be really friendly but now when I look back at it now, it does seem odd.”

The witness also described the defendant as a “very touchy-feely teacher”.

She added: “If he was marking your work or if you approached him to ask him a question, he would put his hands around your waist or around your bum”.

“If he was standing by his desk, he would, like, motion to his knee, so he wouldn’t ask you directly to sit on his lap but he would tap his knee.”

Swansea Crown Court heard that the witness eventually came forward and told her parents parents after she heard them speaking about Mr Oulton being suspended from his job.

“Did you feel under pressure to say something had happened to you?” asked Mr Clee.

The witness answered “No”

Oulton, of Richmond Crescent, Haverfordwest, previously told the court he had behaved appropriately.

He also believed letters were sent by Pembrokeshire County Council to parents which encouraged “deliberately false evidence” and collusion between pupils.

The trial continues.

Continue Reading

News

‘We don’t want it’: councillors object to HGV tanker park plans

Published

on

PEMBROKE DOCK town councillors have objected strongly to plans to build a HGV tanker park in the town.

The tanker park would be located on the south-western side of Criterion Way, behind the ASDA petrol station.

However, at a meeting of the town council’s Planning Committee on Tuesday, April 13, councillors were in agreement that it would create more problems for the town.

Councillor Jonathan George said: “I’ve noted the public input on this and they don’t seem very happy about where it’s going to be put.

“It is close to a small park area and I don’t think it’s suitable to put this here. I won’t be supporting this.”

Cllr George Manning added: “There are many aspects of this which are totally inappropriate for Pembroke Dock. There are many other sites available but they haven’t looked at any of them.

“This does not do anything for the Future Generations act and it will bring more disruption to the town.

“This does not bring about any improvements to the existing transport infrastructure. There are lots of things about this, we don’t want it. I don’t think they have looked into it in enough detail.”

Cllr Gordon Goff said that the impact it would have on the public and wildlife would be ‘astronomical’.

He went on to say he was not happy with one of the statements in the application and said they ‘don’t want to be blackmailed’.

One of the documents submitted with the application states that if the development was not approved it would mean that the applicants, Certas, ‘will either have to find a different site’ or ‘will have to cease operating in the area’.

Cllr Terry Judkins said that the Port Authority wanted to ‘use Pembroke Dock as a dumping ground’ and added that he could not support it.

Cllr Maureen Colgan added that she was ‘totally against’ the application and said that the area should be kept for leisure and be developed as an area where people can sit and enjoy themselves.

The application is due to be decided by Pembrokeshire County Council at a later date.

Cllr Paul Dowson has already called in the application for it to be debated by the County Council’s Planning Committee.

In his request he states that it is too near habitation, it is within the Pembroke Dock conservation area and that children have been using the area near the bandstand as play area for over 20 years.

The area had also previously been the subject of an application for a marina and other leisure facilities but that investment was written off in 2017.

Continue Reading
News15 mins ago

Marloes pensioner in child abuse images case

A PENSIONER has been bailed to attend Swansea Crown Court by magistrates sitting in Haverfordwest Law Courts this week. Derek...

News1 day ago

Primary school teacher described as ‘touchy-feely’ on day two of trial

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher, accused of sexually assaulting his pupils was “very touchy-feely”, Swansea Crown Court heard on the...

Entertainment1 day ago

BAFTA winner Sir Anthony Hopkins visits St. Davids

CELEBRATING his BAFTA win, Sir Anthony Hopkins has been vaccinated and returned to his native country of Wales where he...

News2 days ago

Trial of Haverfordwest primary school teacher starts at Swansea Crown Court

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher who is accused of sexually abusing eleven children thinks he is a victim of a...

News2 days ago

Kill the Bill protest to take place in Haverfordwest on Saturday

INDIVIDUALS and activists from local groups, including Extinction Rebellion Pembrokeshire, Stand Up to Racism West Wales, Pembrokeshire People’s Assembly and...

News2 days ago

Everything you need to know about the current coronavirus restrictions in Wales

THE GOVERNMENT guidelines in Wales are changing today (Apr 12). There are major changes coming into force today across the...

Health2 days ago

New Covid vaccine arrives first in West Wales

THE FIRST person in the UK to receive the Moderna vaccine against Covid-19 got their jab at 8:30 in the...

News2 days ago

Ten years in prison for Milford Haven taxi driver who raped passenger

ANTHONY MARCUS JONES, 43, a taxi driver from Hawthorn Path, Mount Estate, Milford Haven has been sentenced to ten years...

News4 days ago

Police: RNLI ‘most likely saved man’s life’ following tombstoning incident

POLICE have issued an urgent warning following a tombstoning incident Tenby on Saturday evening (Apr 10). A multi-agency operation was...

News5 days ago

Police plan to deter badly behaved youths from gathering in Tenby

POLICE in Tenby responded to community concerns over antisocial behaviour and groups of between 15-20 youths gathering and clashing over...

Popular This Week