Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Milford Haven: Martial arts instructor facing Crown Court trial for ABH

Published

on

A MILFORD HAVEN based martial arts instructor is to face trial at Swansea Crown Court next year for alleged assaults against two youths at Slicks Martial Arts Club in Charles Street Milford Haven earlier this year.

Stephen Grant, 29, of St Lawrence Avenue is charged with assaulting two males by occasioning them actual bodily harm contrary to S.17 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861.

The alleged victims, who are under 18, cannot be named in this newspaper for legal reasons.

After entering a not guilty plea the court directed that Grant face a jury of his peers at Swansea Crown Court. He will attend an initial hearing on January 5.

Grant was represented by Jonathan Webb of Layton and Co Solicitors, and was granted bail that he does not contact the victims either directly or indirectly.

News

Neyland: Public meeting ‘to protest against proposed surgery closure’

Published

on

A PUBLIC meeting has been arranged for Neyland residents to protest about the proposed closure of St Clement’s Surgery.

Argyle Medical Group has submitted an application to Hywel Dda Local Health Board to close the Branch Surgery at St. Clements Neyland.

It says this action to be the only option to enable a safe level of clinical care to be offered to all its registered patients at a time “when recruitment and retention of clinical staff is extremely challenging.”

Cllr Hancock said: “A public meeting will be held at Neyland Athletic Club next Thursday 25 January at 7pm to protest against the proposed closure of St. Clement’s Surgery.

He added: “It cannot be allowed to happen!”

Argyle Medical said on its Facebook page: “The reason for this application is to consolidate & maintain patient care services at a time of reduced GP numbers at the practice. Despite concerted attempts at GP recruitment over recent years the practice has been unsuccessful. The practice has been successful in recruiting a further Nurse & Pharmacy practitioner & is continuing to try to recruit further such practitioners.

“The practice plans to increase its capacity to deal with urgent medical problems by offering increased clinical practitioner appointments. These practitioners will be backed up by a GP to provide immediate advice as needed. It is planned this service will be provided from Argyle Surgery, Pembroke Dock alone.

“Argyle Medical Group will continue to provide the full range General Medical Services to its registered patients in Neyland and the surrounding area. In order to facilitate the enhanced same-day service at Argyle Surgery it is proposed that appointments at St. Oswald’s Surgery, Pembroke will change from a same day to a pre-booked appointment system.”

Continue Reading

News

Burns victim remanded in custody following flat fire

Published

on

DESPITE needing specialist medical care, a Pembroke Dock woman was remanded to prison by Haverfordwest Magistrates on Tuesday (Jan 16).

Hayley James suffered significant and ‘life-threatening’ burns in a blaze she is alleged to have started in her flat in Commercial Row, Pembroke Dock.

James is charged with arson with intent to endanger life regarding the fire, which began at around 6.30am on December 2.

No pleas were entered by the defendant The Crown alleged the accused put not only herself but the occupants of other flats at significant risk of harm.

As she had now been discharged from hospital after weeks of treatment, the Prosecution submitted that James should be remanded in custody.

Responding to prosecutor Vaughan Pritchard-Jones’ request that his client be remanded to prison, defence solicitor Mark Layton pointed out that his client had only recently been discharged following intensive treatment, which had included a tracheotomy: “On her most recent ward, she was given a great deal of flexibility. Her partner, the gentleman at the back of the court, has been visiting her.

“She has been allowed freedom to go out and have a cigarette she can’t walk so far as she suffered significant burn injuries.”

After pointing out that his client’s mobility was severely restricted and she was unable to get about without a stick or wheelchair, Mr Layton continued: “Miss James has suffered significant injuries in this incident. Putting her in prison is not going to be of assistance to her.”

Mr Layton suggested a range of bail conditions and pointed out that his client was not subject to strict supervision of the ward, while she was an inpatient: “My client was arrested on discharge from the ward, prior to that she was not treated with the normal degree of supervision.”

Mr Layton told the court: “The care she needs is simply not available in a prison environment. We would like to think that is the case, but I would suggest very strongly is that the care you will receive at liberty, would be better than the case you would get at liberty. When you have serious burns you need a level of care, I do not think that level of care would be available.

“I would suggest that in those circumstances that the interest of justice can be properly served with the imposition of bail conditions. The concerns the Crown and court will then be properly met.”

After retiring to consider their decision, the Chairman of the Bench told James of the Magistrates decision to remand her to prison.

Expressing sympathy for her condition, he reflected on the seriousness of the charges faced and told the accused: “We are remanding you in custody for your own protection after these dreadful events.”

James is to appear at Swansea Crown Court for a preliminary hearing on February 13, at 10am.

Continue Reading

News

£350k fine for company which made 75m nuisance calls

Published

on

A COMPANY which made 75 million nuisance calls in four months has been fined £350,000 by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

Miss-sold Products UK Ltd made the automated marketing calls between November 16, 2015, and March  7, 2016. The calls contained recorded messages, primarily promoting PPI compensation claims, but the company did not have the recipients’ consent for making marketing calls, which is against the law.

It also broke the law by failing to identify the organisation making the calls, while it used so-called ‘added value’ numbers that generate revenue when an individual calls the number, which is then apportioned and passed to associated companies and the network carrier.

The ICO received 146 complaints from the public about Miss-sold Products. Some people were called on multiple occasions. Others said they were unable to opt out of receiving the calls. Some expressed further distress as they were concerned that calls late at night may have been from family members or those to whom they provided care.

The director of Miss-sold – which had its registered office at 10A North Road, Milford Haven, Wales, before it was moved in 2017 to Darlington, County Durham – had applied to strike it off the Companies House Register but the ICO has blocked the move pending enforcement action.

This is to allow all options to be considered for recovery of the penalty, and for the actions of the director in running the company to be fully scrutinised.

ICO Enforcement Group Manager Andy Curry said: “This company blatantly ignored the laws on telephone marketing, making a huge volume of intrusive calls over a short period of time and without any apparent attempt to ensure they had the consent of the people they were harassing.

“The ICO will come down hard on rogue operators who want to treat the law and the UK public with contempt. We hope the Government will bring forward plans to introduce personal liability for directors as a matter of urgency, to stop them from escaping punishment after profiting from nuisance calls and texts.

“In the absence of a change in the law, the ICO will continue to face challenges in the recovery of penalties, and rogue directors will think they can get away with causing nuisance to members of the public.”

Continue Reading
News9 hours ago

Burns victim remanded in custody following flat fire

DESPITE needing specialist medical care, a Pembroke Dock woman was remanded to prison by Haverfordwest Magistrates on Tuesday (Jan 16)....

News13 hours ago

£350k fine for company which made 75m nuisance calls

A COMPANY which made 75 million nuisance calls in four months has been fined £350,000 by the Information Commissioner’s Office...

News15 hours ago

Man banned from keeping animals after dog lost eye

A MILFORD HAVEN man who admitted causing unnecessary suffering to his dog has been banned from keeping all animals for...

News19 hours ago

Rising house prices in Pembrokeshire a concern for young buyers

HOUSE prices in Pembrokeshire, which are already higher than the national average, rose faster than anywhere else in Wales over...

News1 day ago

Pembroke Dock: Tesco evacuated following suspected gas leak

TESCO in Pembroke dock has been temporarily evacuated by the Fire Brigade following reports of what is suspected to be...

News1 day ago

Carillion collapse could cause delay for A40 bypass

THE COLLAPSE of construction giant Carillion could lead to delays in the Llanddewi Velfrey to Penblewin bypass on the A40, an...

News2 days ago

Police appeal for public to look for car of missing man

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is concerned for the welfare of 52-year-old Tony Burt, from the Trecwm area. Tony is believed to be...

News2 days ago

High winds may cause Cleddau Bridge restrictions

WITH high winds forecast this week, Pembrokeshire County Council is giving early warning that the Cleddau Bridge could be closed...

News3 days ago

Murder accused ‘told wife he had killed his grandmother’

BARRY ROGERS told his then wife he had killed his grandmother Betty Guy, a jury heard today (Jan 15). But...

News3 days ago

Determined pensioner seeks private prosecution against police and CPS

A PENSIONER, who has been convicted of speeding by Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court last spring, and again on appeal to The...

Popular This Week