Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sport

Health issues force Tasker out of Olympics

Published

on

TENBY’s Bruce Tasker has been forced to withdraw from the Olympic Winter Games in South Korea due to health reasons.

The 30-year-old, who has been a mainstay of the GB Bobsled squad since 2010, suffered a minor stroke a few days ago.

While Tasker is expected to make a full recovery and has targeted a return to top-level sport later in the year, the former Greenhill school pupil will not compete at next month’s Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

Having been receiving scheduled treatment for groin and hip injuries at home in the UK while his team-mates were competing in Altenberg, Germany last week, Tasker was taken to Wexham Park Hospital last Thursday after experiencing dizziness and nausea.

Tasker was subsequently transferred to the Stroke Unit at High Wycombe Hospital on Saturday.

He returned home on Sunday and will have further medical assessments over the coming days.

“I’m gutted not to be able to conclude the four-year cycle by going to the Olympics but I’m very grateful that I’m still fit and healthy,” said Tasker, who was part of the GB 4-man team that is line for a potential retrospective bronze medal from the last Games in Sochi in 2014.

“I’m still sore but, otherwise, I feel fine. While I’m not training, I’m already resuming normal life and the dog hasn’t been missing out on her walks!

“I’ve been looked after incredibly well by everybody and I’d like to thank my partner Kat and her father (both trained doctors), in particular, for their support. The same goes to all the medical staff at Wexham and High Wycombe hospitals who looked after me – they were absolutely fantastic, as was Dr. George Bownes, (Chief Medical Officer for the British Bobsleigh & Skeleton Association) who has ensured I have received the best care and advice possible since my discharge from hospital.

“To me, this was a completely freak occurrence. I was unlucky to be in this situation, but I’m lucky to have come out of it unscathed.”

While medical advice will mean that Tasker won’t compete in Pyeongchang, he still hopes to continue his GB career next season.

GB Bobsleigh Performance Director, Chris Price said: “We are obviously bitterly disappointed for Bruce that he will not be able to fulfil his ambition of competing at his second Olympic Winter Games next month, especially given the dedication, commitment and excellence he has shown throughout the Olympic cycle, but his health is of paramount importance.

“The last few days have been worrying for all who know and care for Bruce but we are naturally delighted that he is on course to make a full recovery. We will now ensure Bruce and his family have all the necessary support in place to aid that process.”

Sport

Bush qualifies for Paralympic games

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE’s Para-taekwondo star Matt Bush has qualified for the Tokyo Paralympic games this summer.

At the European Paralympic Qualification tournament, Bush, who is the current world champion, beat Hungary’s Zoltan Kiss 29-1 in the +75kg final.

Para-taekwondo will make its debut at this summer’s Paralympics with the competition set to take place from September 2-4.

Bush, from St Clears, became Britain’s first ever world champion in the sport in 2019 began his latest tournament in fine style, seeing off Roman Ivaniuk of Ukraine 38-2 in the semi-final.

Matt told BBC Sport that it felt ‘so good’ to have secured his spot in the team.

The heavyweight athlete has made quite the mark on the mats. He has medalled at the Korean Open, Oceania Para Taekwondo Championships and the Pan America Para Taekwondo Open.

The GB team for Tokyo will be officially announced later this summer.

Continue Reading

Sport

Lawrenny through in Village Cup

Published

on

LAWRENNY are through to the next round of the Village Cup after they beat Llandysul on Sunday (May 9).

Both teams were rained off the previous day but some good work meant that the game was able to go ahead.

Llandysul batted first but were bowled out for 82 in 26.3 overs as Jamie Lewis took five wickets for the visitors.

He went on to finish with figures of 5-22 from his seven overs while the home side’s top scorer was captain Llew Hughes who made a score of 20.

Lawrenny did not have it all their own way in their reply as Rhys Jones bowled well to finish with figures of 3-10.

However, an excellent knock of 52 from Harry Thomas steered Lawrenny to their target inside the 24th over.

Elsewhere, Carew’s game away at Drefach was called off while Cresselly had already received a bye to the next round.

Continue Reading

Sport

Lawrenny earn big win over Whitland

Published

on

LAWRENNY got their 2021 season off to the perfect start on Saturday (May 1) as they beat Whitland by 189 runs.

Whitland won the toss and elected to field but they could only watch as the home side piled on the runs before being bowled out for 264.

Kyle Marsh top scored with a score of 81 while Kurtis Mars also scored 45.

Tom Cole added 32 and James Phillips chipped in with a score of 29 as they batted well.

Wayne Howells and Jonathan Thomas finished with identical figures of 2-27 as Whitland’s bowling did at least keep the score below 300.

Whitland knew they would need to bat well to knock off the runs needed but came up against Ryan Morton who took four wickets for the loss of 17 runs.

Kurtis Marsh also claimed two wickets without conceding any runs as the visitors chances got smaller and smaller.

Geraint Jones did score 30 for Whitland but that was as good as it got as they were bowled out for just 75.

Continue Reading
News3 hours ago

Public engagement exercise over new hospital between St Clears and Narberth

HYWEL DDA is asking the people of Pembrokeshire to help it further shape and deliver future services by taking part...

News12 hours ago

Police looking for a couple with a dog after teenage girl bitten in Haverfordwest

POLICE hunting for the owners of a ‘pitbull’ type dog which bit a teenage girl in Haverfordwest last month. Dyfed-Powys...

Business1 day ago

An experimental nuclear fusion reactor could be built in Pembrokeshire

PEMBROKESHIRE could be the location of an experimental nuclear fusion reactor, which could produce abundent clean energy, if the council...

News1 day ago

Graffiti damages area of scientific and historical interest in Pembrokeshire

GRAFFITI painted on stones of historical and environmental importance at Pembrokeshire Coast National Park has caused environmental damage that could...

News2 days ago

Plaid’s Dafydd Llywelyn re-elected as Police and Crime Commissioner

THE NEW Police and Crime Commissioner for the Dyfed Powys Area has been announced. Incumbent, Dafydd Llywelyn, of Plaid Cymru...

News3 days ago

Mark Drakeford says: ‘Thank you Wales for going red’

LABOUR is staying in power in Wales after matching its best-ever Senedd election result. It won exactly half of the...

News4 days ago

Conservatives hold on to Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat

THE CONSERVATIVES have held on to their Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat despite Labour closing the gap. Sam Kurtz...

News4 days ago

Paul Davies re-elected as Conservatives hold Preseli Pembrokeshire

PAUL DAVIES has been re-elected to represent the Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency. He won with 12,295 votes, while there were 10,895...

News4 days ago

Dyfed-Powys Police criticised for failing to record thousands of crimes

A SHOCKING new report says that Dyfed-Powys Police failed to record thousands of crimes, despite being told to improve two-and-a-half...

News6 days ago

Milford Haven: Mount estate death not being treated as suspicious say police

POLICE have confirmed that following a welfare visit to a property in Mount Estate, they discovered a male occupant, in...

Popular This Week