Connect with us


Mother and son jailed for life with 11 year minimum term



BARRY ROGERS and Penny John have been jailed for life for the murder of Betty Guy.

Each must serve a minimum of 11 years before being allowed to apply for parole.

Mrs Guy ‘loved life’ and ‘loved a little giggle’, her daughter Lorraine Matthews has said in a victim impact statement.

The statement read by Jim Davis, for the prosecution, at Swansea Crown Court, said: “We grieved once after her death and now we have to go through a different kind of grief.”

Ms Matthews said she was ‘shocked that a member of my own family is capable of committing such a despicable act on an old lady’.

She added: “My mother was in no way ill enough to warrant a mercy (killing).

“I had spoken to her doctor some months before and was reassured of her health… I find it difficult to come to terms with the fact that her life ended before it should have naturally.”

Christopher Henley, QC, for Barry Rogers, said the ‘only way of explaining what happened is as a mercy killing’.

He said Rogers loved Mrs Guy ‘deeply and truly’.

“There’s no direct evidence of this but there appears to be a solid basis to believe that Betty Guy was a participant in discussions about what happened,” he added.

Mr Henley urged the court to act with ‘a degree of compassion’.

Sentencing Rogers and John, Mr Justice Lewis said they committed the murder ‘on a belief, a misguided belief, held by each of you that the murder was an act of mercy’.

He said: “Mrs Guy was not terminally ill.

“She did not have any form of cancer. Mrs Guy had mobility problems but she was not bed-bound.

“She was in pain and had been prescribed a painkiller but there’s no evidence at all to suggest that Mrs Guy was suffering unbearable pain.

“You did not therefore kill Mrs Guy because she had, or you believed she had, a terminal illness.

“Again this was not a case where Mrs Guy was suffering or you believed she was suffering in unbearable pain and you wanted to bring that pain to an end… you believed Mrs Guy was old and ill and wanted to die and you believed that you should end her life.

Mr Justice Lewis said Rogers and John had both agreed to end the life of Mrs Guy.

He said: “You each had your role to play.

“You, Ms John, decided that the time had come to kill your mother.

“You arranged for your son to come and carry out the killing, you gave your mother drugs, intending to sedate her.

“You, Barry Rogers, were the one to place the pillow over Mrs Guy’s face and to suffocate her.”

Mr Justice Lewis said Mrs Guy was a ‘cheerful, lively and well-liked person’.


Funeral of Kiara Moore to take place on her birthday



Jet Moore: With his daughter, Kiara

THE FUNERAL of Kiara Moore, the two-year-old who tragically died in the River Teifi in Cardigan on Monday (Mar 19), will take place on Tuesday (Mar 27).

The date would have been her third birthday.

Announcing the funeral on Facebook, her father, Jet Moore, said: “Kiara’s funeral and party will be held on the 27th March.

“Myself, Kim and family would like to invite you all to either the funeral and party for her happy life and birthday! (or just be have a thought for her on this day and make some one happy).”

“Please bring kids if you can! We are keeping it a happy celebration.”

The funeral will take place at Parc Gwyn Crematorium in Narberth, then the Fostrasell Arms in Llandysul.

Jet went on to say that the family want to set up a trust in Kiara’s name to ‘support people who are sad (metal health) and the outdoor environment’.

He added: “So please do not buy flowers but donate money to this and we will make happy experiences for 100s and 1000s I hope!”

Dyfed-Powys Police have said that enquiries are ongoing into the incident, and have warned online ‘trolls’ to be aware of what they post.

A spokesperson said: “Enquiries are continuing to fully understand the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident.

“Examination of the vehicle will form part of these enquiries.

“We can also confirm that the vehicle had not been stolen.

“We are aware of potentially malicious comments relating to the incident on social media. These are being reviewed and action may be taken where appropriate.”

Continue Reading


Audit Committee will not make police response public



MEMBERS of the Audit Committee have given an undertaking not to disclose a letter from Dyfed-Powys Police relating to the Commercial Property Grants Scheme in Pembroke Dock.

The Committee met today (Mar 23), where it discussed the response from Dyfed-Powys Police after they agreed to write to them, complaining about the delay in the investigation.

At their previous meeting in January, the committee also resolved to ask a member of the police force to attend the next meeting to give an update.

Detective Super Intendent Shane Williams attended the meeting and asked members not to disclose the letter to the wider public as it may prejudice the criminal proceedings or the right to a fair trial.

However the Council’s Head of Legal Services, Mrs Claire Incledon, told the committee that, in her opinion, the letter was in the public domain and that they would not be able to withhold the letter should an FOI request be made.

Members of the committee resolved that they would not make the letter available to the wider public.

DSI Shane Williams told the committee of a number of interviews that had taken place and said: “Fraud is sometimes complex and does take some time. I am not saying that 25 months is acceptable.”

He went on to say that a meeting was held with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in November 2017 when they asked for further work to be done.

DSI Williams said that the work was nearing completion and that another meeting would be arranged ‘sooner rather than later’ to discuss whether or not to press charges.

He added: “The investigation has taken longer than anticipated but we will be putting some impetus behind this. This is a CPS decision but it is public money and there has been an indication dishonesty or fraud and there should be prosecution.”

Cllr Jacob Williams referred to the letter on several occasions which states that WEFO are the victims in this case but DSI Williams added that Pembrokeshire County Council were also the victims.

When pressed for a response as to why only WEFO were included as victims, DSI Williams said: “From the initial complaint WEFO were the victim but we became aware that that PCC were paying back grant money and therefore had a claim as the victim.”

Audit Committee chairman Tony Baron said it was his impression that they were weeks away from a conclusion and that they should take a view that the letter should not be published until that time.

Chief Executive Ian Westley said it was an ‘option’ for members as there might not be a robust legal defence if they were asked to circulate the letter and they refused.

Cllr Cris Tomos moved that a vote be taken on keeping the letter private but members indicated they would not be prepared to take such a vote.

The Committee resolved to thank DSI Williams for attending and gave an undertaking that they would not make the letter public.

Continue Reading


Milford Haven: Police appealing for information after window smashed



POLICE are appealing for information after a glass window was smashed at a Milford Haven property.

On Tuesday (Mar 20) at approximately 7:30pm, an object was thrown at the front ground floor window at a property on Priory Road, Milford Haven, causing the outer glass panel to smash.

Police say a large number of youths were seen in the area when the incident occurred.

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson said: “Anyone with information is asked to contact Milford Haven police station via 101.”

Continue Reading
News24 hours ago

Funeral of Kiara Moore to take place on her birthday

THE FUNERAL of Kiara Moore, the two-year-old who tragically died in the River Teifi in Cardigan on Monday (Mar 19),...

News1 day ago

Audit Committee will not make police response public

MEMBERS of the Audit Committee have given an undertaking not to disclose a letter from Dyfed-Powys Police relating to the...

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest Museum under threat as Town Council pull plug

HAVERFORDWEST MUSEUM faces an uncertain future, The Herald can reveal. At a meeting of Haverfordwest Town Council at which funding...

News2 days ago

Fishguard: Rise in parking charges branded ‘an absolute disgrace’

RESIDENTS of Fishguard have been debating the recent price hike for parking charges at the West Street car park, with...

News2 days ago

Police warn online trolls over ‘malicious’ Kiara comments

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have warned online trolls that they may take action against malicious comments relating to Kiara Moore, the 2-year-old...

News2 days ago

Cabinet supports three-weekly waste collections

PEMBROKESHIRE ​COUNTY COUNCIL’S Cabinet has unanimously supported the move to a three-weekly waste collection service. Cabinet members met on Monday...

News4 days ago

Two-year-old’s mother says she will ‘live with guilt’ following tragic death

THE MOTHER of Kiara Moore, a two-year-old girl who sadly died following an incident in the River Teifi in Cardigan...

News4 days ago

Pembroke Dock police urge caution following vehicle thefts

PEMBROKE DOCK police officers are investigating a number of reports of stolen vehicles and thefts of property from inside unlocked...

News4 days ago

Man charged with charity box theft

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have charged a Pembroke Dock man with the theft of a Morgan’s Fight charity box. Robert Williams, aged...

News5 days ago

Child airlifted to hospital after stolen car ends up in River Teifi

A THREE-YEAR-OLD is receiving medical attention in Cardiff after being in a car which was stolen in Carmarthenshire, and which...

Popular This Week