Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Cancer support bus touring Pembrokeshire next week

Published

on

MACMILLAN CANCER SUPPORT’S Welsh information and support bus, Bronwen, will be in locations across Pembrokeshire next week, including Haverfordwest and Tenby.

Bronwen comes with her friendly team of Macmillan information and support specialists, a team of frontline health and social care professionals with years of experience in caring and supporting people living with cancer.

The bus hosts two electronic information screens, a private room for sensitive conversations and two iPads to enable people to find the information they need on the spot.

Macmillan would like to encourage anyone living nearby or simply passing by who have questions about cancer to come and say hello.

April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month and Bowel Cancer Awareness Month, and the team will be also able to provide information relating to these cancers.

Starting the week in Narberth, on Monday (Apr 16), the bus will be parked up outside CK supermarket on Spring Gardens, from 9am to 4pm.

On Tuesday (Apr 17), Bronwen and the team will be available on Castle Square in Haverfordwest, from 9am to 4pm.

The following day, Wednesday (Apr 18), the bus will be outside Tesco superstore on London Road in Pembroke Dock between 9am and 4pm.

On Thursday (Apr 19) people can drop in to see the team outside Poundland on White Lion Street in Tenby from 9am to 4pm.

On the last day, Friday (Apr 20), visitors can catch the bus in The Harbour car park, on Cambrian Place in Saundersfoot, between 9am and 4pm.

Moray Hayman, Bronwen Team Lead Cancer Information and Support Specialist, said: “We encourage anyone who has been affected by cancer to come and see us, whether they’re living with cancer, have been recently diagnosed, caring for someone with cancer or worried about a loved one.

“As well as answering questions on the day, we can signpost to other cancer services in the area and provide information on a range of issues, including financial advice and wellbeing.

“Even if you don’t have a specific question to ask, our friendly team are always available for a chat.”

Richard Pugh, Head of Services for Macmillan in Wales, said: “At Macmillan, we know how a cancer diagnosis can affect everything and we’re here to support you.

“Our mobile information team travel around Wales and the rest of the UK visiting local communities, providing cancer information and advice on the ground.

“The new Welsh vehicle is smaller and lighter, and will help the team to access places Macmillan has previously not been able to get to, reaching even more people affected by cancer in the process.”

For further information about Macmillan’s mobile information service, and planned visits, go to http://www.macmillan.org.uk/mobileinfo

If you are unable to visit the unit but have questions about cancer, visit www.macmillan.org.uk or call Macmillan free on 0808 808 00 00 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).

You can find out about Macmillan services near you at http://www.macmillan.org.uk/in-your-area/choose-location.html

News

Pembroke Dock: Former nurse jailed for 18 months

Published

on

A FORMER nurse from Pembroke Dock who lied to an inquest about the death of a vulnerable patient has been jailed for 18 months.

Lorraine Stevens, aged 62, told the hearing she had prepared a risk assessment on John Shelley, a mentally ill man prone to drinking harmful substances.

But she fabricated the assessment only after he drank a bottle of Fairy Liquid and died the following day.

Stevens admitted perjury.

Swansea Crown Court heard how Mr Shelley, aged 68, had been brain damaged at birth and needed constant care.

Mr Shelley’s brother Martin was told he was about to be transferred to 10 Church Close, in Begelly near Tenby, west Wales, a four bedroom bungalow for mentally ill patients.

Mr Martin Shelley, an engineer familiar with risk assessments, visited the premises and became alarmed at the lack of internal locks.

In particular, he didn’t want his brother having unsupervised access to the kitchen where he might find something harmful to drink.

Stevens, of Kitchener Close, Pembroke Dock, should have completed a risk assessment but didn’t.

Catherine Richards, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that on July 13, 2013, a kitchen window had been left open on the hottest day of the year and Mr Shelley reached in and drank from the Fairy Liquid bottle.

Stevens, the team leader and the only qualified nurse on duty, told staff to give him plenty of water to drink and, later, to give him ginger biscuits and milk.

Stevens left work early. The staff who took over became concerned and he was taken to Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest.

But his condition deteriorated and he died the following day through multiple organ failure.

Martin Shelley told the authorities he had not seen a risk assessment and Stevens suddenly produced one, assuring him that staff would have been shown it.

The report was produced at an inquest into Mr Shelley’s death held in 2014. Stevens told the coroner the four page report, which addressed Mr Shelley’s access to the kitchen, had been prepared on April 14, 2013.

Mr Shelley became suspicious because it had been signed only by Stevens herself when all staff should have signed to confirm they had read and understood it.

Police became involved and seized a computer from 10 Church Close which showed the report had been compiled on July 18, 2013, four days after the fatality.

After her arrest, Stevens maintained the report was genuine and dated accurately.

When she was told later about the computer findings she declined to answer any more questions.

Stevens’ barrister, Jon Tarrant, said she would live forever with the guilt and remorse she felt over Mr Shelley’s death, but described it as a tragedy without intention.

It was difficult to know, he added, if a proper risk assessment would have avoided the fatality.

Mr Martin Shelley was allowed to address the court and said he believed his brother might not have died if all staff had understood how important it was to keep him away from harmful liquid substances.

The bungalow, he said, housed four mentally ill patients but had not been purposely built for someone with his brother’s difficulties.

“I was assured that a risk assessment would be carried out before he moved in, particularly in relation to the lack of internal locks.

“He was let down in his hour of need.

“His death, pain, suffering and distress could have been avoided,” he added.

The court heard that Stevens had been struck off as a nurse.

Judge Keith Thomas told Stevens she had fabricated the report and then lied about it to avoid criticism.

“You did this to cover up the fact you had not made proper provision for the challenges posed by Mr Shelley.

“I am not dealing with you for causing the death but for you did cause additional distress and anxiety to his family.

“You were deceitful and your lies were persistent,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Pembrokeshire Lottery player wins brand new car

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE LOTTERY held their long-awaited Big Birthday Draw to celebrate their 25th anniversary. The lucky player who won the prize of a Fiat 500 from PMS Cars in Haverfordwest was Diane Boucher from Pembroke.

The draw was aired on 102.5 Radio Pembrokeshire and presenter Tommo rang Diane live on air to break the happy news.

Diane, who works at Hafal Crossroads in Haverfordwest didn’t realise it was the special birthday draw and thought she’d won the usual £2,000!

A couple of days later, Diane met Pembrokeshire Lottery Manager Abigail Owens and was handed the keys to her brand-new car. PMS owner John Green, who very generously upgraded the car to a top of the range Lounge model, was on hand to congratulate Diane in person.

The Big Birthday Draw comes as the Lottery’s special year of celebrations nears its end, but there are still extra prizes in December plus the £10,000 Christmas Superdraw.

If you don’t play yet, ring the Pembrokeshire Lottery on 01646 690800 to join and help them to assist more businesses in Pembrokeshire and create even more jobs. You could be a lucky winner too!

Continue Reading

News

Allied Healthcare to ‘minimise disruption’ as it looks to sell and transfer services

Published

on

ALLIED HEALTHCARE, who provide care services across Pembrokeshire, is exploring a range of options which include ‘the sale or transition of care and support services’, the Herald can reveal.

An employee from the troubled firm, who wished to stay anonymous, has shown the Herald a letter which has been sent to all employees this afternoon (Nov 16).

In the letter, the company says that the firm is looking to ‘minimise disruption to continuity of care’.

They go on to add that ‘our absolute priority will be to maintain continuity of care for our service-users and minimise disruption to you, our employees’.

In a letter to the employees, Narinder Singh, the Chief Executive Officer of the company, said: “As you know, early last week, CQC Market Oversight – the Regulator that monitors large social care providers in England – issued what is known as a Stage 6 Notification to our Local Authority customers in England. This type of notification is intended to inform Commissioners that a Company is at risk and therefore Local Authorities or CCGs should consider making plans to ensure continuity of care.

“Unfortunately, I am writing to you today to inform you that, because of the impact of the Stage 6 notification on our business, and because the upcoming winter period is when ensuring continuity of care is most challenging, we have taken the decision to actively explore a range of options in order to minimise disruption to continuity of care.

“This will include the sale or transition of care and support services on a regional or contract-by-contract basis to alternative providers best placed to deliver care at a local level. This process will be conducted in close cooperation with all our customers.”

The letter goes on to reassure employees that they are ‘likely’ to be transferred to a new provider.

“It is our intention to transfer all of our Contracts to other providers.  This will mean that you are likely to transfer out to a new provider. When arranging the transition of our services to alternative providers, our absolute priority will be to maintain continuity of care for our service-users and minimise disruption to you, our employees.

“We will continue to trade safely while this transition process is underway and, during this period, there will be no changes to the terms of employment, salary or benefits of our employees. To reiterate, this means that you will continue to be employed by the Company and receive pay and benefits while the transition of our care services is arranged.

“I understand that this news will come as a surprise to you and may be unsettling. Please be assured that we will continue to do all we can to support you throughout this period and will respond to any concerns or questions you have throughout the process.

“On behalf of the Executive team and myself, I would like to offer our most sincere thanks for the continued support and efforts you have shown to the business during this very difficult time. We continue to remain committed to supporting you, our employees and Allied.”

A spokesperson for Allied Healthcare said: “The Stage 6 notification has negatively impacted Allied Healthcare, leading a number of customers to transfer care services to alternative providers, and disrupting staff retention and recruitment.

“These developments have intensified the impact of the challenging environment within which we operate and come immediately prior to the Christmas period, when pressures on care providers are at their highest. This has also meant that we have had to re-evaluate our long-term business plan.

“We are therefore actively exploring a range of options in order to minimise disruption to continuity of care, including the sale or transition of care and support services on a regional or contract-by-contract basis to alternative providers best placed to deliver care at a local level. Such sales or transitions will involve the transfer of staff. This process will be conducted in close cooperation with our customers.

“We continue to trade safely while this process is underway. RBS as our existing lender has agreed to extend our current credit line by up to three weeks beyond 30 November, enabling us to deliver safe continuity of care whilst we explore and implement these options.

“We will work closely with the CQC and all commissioners of care to ensure that there is minimal disruption to the care that we provide across the UK whilst this transition takes place. Continuity of care is our number one priority.”

Pembrokeshire County Council said it would like to reassure Allied Healthcare service users and their families that it has robust contingency plans in place ‘to ensure the continuity of care for customers of Allied Healthcare’

“Those plans will now be implemented”, a spokesman said.

In a statement, the Authority added: “County Council officers and staff at Allied Healthcare will continue to work closely with each other and with health colleagues and the Welsh Government to
ensure that continuity of care is maintained through this challenging time.

“We will continue to keep service users and their families briefed as the situation unfolds.
If customers do have any concerns over the weekend, they are advised to contact Allied Healthcare.”

Continue Reading
News2 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Former nurse jailed for 18 months

A FORMER nurse from Pembroke Dock who lied to an inquest about the death of a vulnerable patient has been...

News2 days ago

Allied Healthcare to ‘minimise disruption’ as it looks to sell and transfer services

ALLIED HEALTHCARE, who provide care services across Pembrokeshire, is exploring a range of options which include ‘the sale or transition of...

News2 days ago

Milford Haven: Round Table offering support for flood victims

MILFORD HAVEN ROUND TABLE is offering support to anyone who has suffered as a result of the flooding at Havens Head...

News2 days ago

Freshwater West: Inquest hears how pensioner ‘lost control’

A 67-YEAR-OLD man who died after he fell from a clifftop at Freshwater West ‘lost control’ as he was walking...

News3 days ago

Red Roses: MP calls for ‘urgent action’ on dangerous junction

SIMON HART MP is calling for urgent action to be taken on dangerous junctions at Red Roses and Llandowror. He...

News3 days ago

Fishguard: Police station to close, Crime Commissioner confirms

FISHGUARD POLICE STATION will close and there are three options on the table, the Police and Crime Commissioner, Dafydd Llywelyn,...

News3 days ago

Cyclist who was seriously injured near Tenby is now supporting Road Safety Week

A PE TEACHER has spoken for the first time of her battle to overcome serious injuries she suffered when a...

News4 days ago

Neyland: Mother issues warning after boy ‘grabbed by hooded man’

THE MOTHER of a boy who was grabbed by a ‘hooded man’ in the street on Tuesday evening (Nov 13)...

News6 days ago

50,000 homes to have different bin collections over Christmas

PEMBROKESHIRE households are being urged to sign up for Pembrokeshire County Council’s free notification service as the countdown to Christmas...

News6 days ago

Can you impress? Britain’s Got Talent holding audition night

BRITAIN’S GOT TALENT is on the search to see what talents Pembrokeshire has to offer. The nation’s favourite talent show...

Popular This Week