Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sport

Will a Letterston lad be the youngest ever Grand National winner?

Published

on

A JOCKEY from Letterston is aiming to become the youngest rider to ever win the Grand National on Saturday (Apr 14). James Bowen, 17, has already won the restaged Welsh National this year on Raz De Maree, but now hopes for success on Shantou Flyer in his first time racing at Aintree.

The Pembrokeshire teenager would be three months younger than Bruce Hobbs when he won on Battleship in 1938, and is hopeful, saying: “I can’t wait. Shantou Flyer has been there before. I know he pulled up (in last year’s National) but he jumped the fences well and hopefully he can give me a good spin round. He has a chance as well.”

Shantou Flyer, an 8 year old gelding trained by Richard Hobson, has finished runner up on his last four starts, including when Bowen rode him in the Ultima Handicap Chase at Cheltenham. He pulled up before four out at last year’s Grand National, when trained by Rebecca Curtis, but has been assigned a 3lb lower mark this year.

Hobson describes Bowen as a ‘future champion jockey’ and went on to say: “James rode me a winner on Saturday and deserves his chance. It is nice as a small stable to be able to give him his first opportunity.”

The Bowen family hold some equestrian pedigree, with James’ father Peter training the winner of the Topham Chase four times, and his brother Sean rode in his first Grand National at 17 years old.

The only Welsh trained runner in the Grand National will be Buywise, owned by Hywel Jones of Dinas Powys, and trained by Evan Williams of the Vale of Glamorgan. Mr Jones is a director of TH&L Jones Pharmacies and notably owns Plunkett, the winner of the first race to be staged at Ffos Las in 2009, also trained by Williams.

The Beer & Cider Festival is returning to Ffos Las on Sunday, with seven national hunt jump races as well as live entertainment from The Rookz before and after racing. Hospitality has sold out but general admission tickets are still available from £10 per person.

Continue Reading

Sport

Bluebirds awarded promotion to the Cymru Premier League

Published

on

Paul Davies MS and David Hughes during a visit to Haverfordwest County AFC before lockdown restrictions were introduced in Wales

HAVERFORDWEST COUNTY AFC have secured their promotion to the Cymru Premier League.

Following the Football Association of Wales (FAW) decision back in March to curtail all domestic football throughout Wales, many teams have waited in angst for clarification on how the promotion and relegation process would be decided.

The FAW, confirmed on Tuesday, June 16, using the ‘average points per game’ method that Haverfordwest County AFC had done enough to be promoted to the Cymru Premier for the upcoming 2020/2021 season.

Taking to their website to confirm the news, the club said “It is nothing less than Wayne, the coaching staff, players, board and volunteers deserve after a fantastic effort last season.

“It has been a long wait to learn our fate, but the club and its staff have worked tirelessly on and off the pitch to ensure we had as much in place as possible, and following the announcement we can now hit the ground running and prepare for next season.

“We cannot wait to welcome the best teams in Wales to The Bridge Meadow!”

Local Member of the Welsh Parliament Paul Davies has also added his congratulations to Haverfordwest County AFC on their promotion back to the JD Cymru Premier League.

Commenting on the achievement, Paul Davies said “It’s great that Haverfordwest County will once again compete in the Premier National League of Wales with the likes of The New Saints, Barry Town and newly crowned champions Connah’s Quay Nomads. The management and players have done a fantastic job in gaining promotion from the JD Cymru South League.”

“With the Conygar Bridge Meadow Stadium widely regarded as being one of the top grounds in Welsh non-league football, it’s only fitting that the Bluebirds will be back in the premier division.”

“I would also take the opportunity to thank David Hughes and Rob Davies for the work they have done as Chairman and Vice Chairman of the club respectively. I have known David for a number of years and he has worked tirelessly for the club. I’m delighted to learn that both David and Rob will stay on the Board as Robert Edwards takes over as Chairman. Their knowledge and experience will be vital moving forward into this exciting new era.”

Continue Reading

News

Nigel Owens hosts virtual rugby quiz for Pembroke Panthers

Published

on

PEMBROKE Panthers RFC enjoyed a rugby return during lockdown after winning a competition which saw international referee Nigel Owens host their own virtual clubhouse quiz, thanks to Principality Building Society.

The women’s squad at the Pembroke club beat more than 1000 entries to win Principality’s Clubhouse Quiz competition. With many clubs affected by widespread flooding at the start of this year and now closed indefinitely due to coronavirus, the building society is continually looking for ways to support grassroots rugby clubs in Wales.

Pembroke Panther Lucy Neale, 30, entered her team with the hope of bringing the players together online. She said: “We’d usually see each other up to five times a week between training sessions, matches and socials, so it’s been a really strange time. I thought I’d enter the club thinking it would be a nice pick-me-up for us all, but never actually expected to win so it was an amazing surprise.”

The team were tested on their rugby knowledge by world cup referee Nigel Owens over video conferencing platform Zoom, where players won tickets to Welsh internationals at Principality Stadium, signed rugby shirts and balls, and tickets for a tour around Principality Stadium. The quiz included a guest appearance from former Welsh international Tom Shanklin.

Lucy continued: “It was such a memorable and special evening for us all. We’re usually quite a lively bunch but we behaved well for Nigel. We’re so thankful to Principality for putting on the quiz and allowing us to enjoy this once in a lifetime experience as a team.”

As sponsors of Principality Stadium and the National Youth Leagues for grassroots clubs in Wales, Principality has a strong relationship with the Welsh Rugby Union and knows how much rugby means to communities across the country. With matches on hold currently, the building society wanted to be able to bring the buzz of the clubhouse to the home.

Clubhouse Quiz host, Nigel Owens, said: “Principality’s Clubhouse Quiz was a fantastic way to bring one team closer together and Pembroke Panthers really showed off their rugby knowledge. Rugby plays such an important role in Welsh communities and I know they’ll be missing the action on the field right now, so it was lovely to have been part of this experience to bring this team together. Thankfully, I didn’t have to sin bin any of them either.”

Julie-Ann Haines, Chief Customer Officer at Principality Building Society, said: “Many rugby clubs across Wales have had a really difficult year, with flood damage to pitches and clubhouses now followed by coronavirus. This was our chance to recreate the camaraderie of the clubhouse for one team and we hope that it brought plenty of laughs and memorable moments for Pembroke Panthers at this challenging time.”

Continue Reading

News

Wales v Scotland postponed

Published

on

WALES’ Six Nations match at home to Scotland on Saturday has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The two other Six Nation fixtures had already been postponed and no date has been confirmed to complete the 2020 Championship.

The Welsh Rugby Union had insisted earlier on Friday the game would “go ahead as planned”.

A WRU statement read: “The Welsh Rugby Union has maintained an open dialogue with, and continued to seek advice and direction from, the National Assembly for Wales and other stakeholders, including the Six Nations, on this fast-moving issue.

“Whilst medical advice remains consistent, we have decided that it is in the best interests of supporters, players and staff to fall in line with recent measures taken across the UK and global sports industries.

“The WRU would like to thank all parties for their counsel on the subject and will make further announcements with respect to rescheduling the fixture in the coming days.

“Every effort has been made to stage this game and we appreciate that individuals will have been inconvenienced. Given the fluid and unprecedented nature of this issue a postponement became the only viable option.”

Continue Reading
News2 days ago

Busy return to Welsh beaches for RNLI lifeguards as the charity urges parents to be beach safe

RNLI LIFEGUARDS have had a busy return to service in Wales with two lives saved in the opening weeks. Now...

News2 days ago

Eight cows shot dead in ‘serious incident’ at Castlemartin Firing Range

EIGHT cattle have been killed and four have been injured after an accident at Castlemartin Firing Range. The incident earlier...

News2 days ago

Dyfed-Powys issues more than 1,700 fines during lockdown

DYFED-POWYS POLICE issued more than 1,700 fines during the lockdown period, the force has announced. Between March 27, when fixed...

News2 days ago

Fifteen Pembrokeshire projects to share £221,000

PROJECTS across Pembrokeshire are to receive a cash boost after the latest round of funding generated from a premium on...

News3 days ago

Herald refreshes look after lockdown

THIS WEEK, to mark our seventh anniversary, we’ve made some big changes to The Pembrokeshire Herald. Apart from it being...

News3 days ago

Education Minister announces ‘back to school’ plans for September

DECISION backed with £29 million to recruit, recover and raise standards The Education Minister, Kirsty Williams, has today confirmed that...

News3 days ago

Self-employed urged to apply for grant if they’ve lost income due to Covid-19

APPROXIMATELY 2,400 self-employed people in Pembrokeshire whose business has lost income due to coronavirus have not yet claimed a government...

News4 days ago

Chancellor’s economic update includes VAT cut for hospitality sector, and customer discounts

THE CHANCELLOR, Rishi Sunak, set out the measures in his summer economic update in the House of Commons on Wednesday...

News4 days ago

Haverfordwest: Police investigation after cash stolen at Aldi supermarket

POLICE in Haverfordwest are appealing for witnesses after cash was stolen from the town’s Aldi supermarket. At around 1pm on...

News5 days ago

‘Amazing Dad’ walks 45 miles in memory of daughter

A LOCAL Fishguard man, Mervyn Hawkins, walked an astounding 45 miles in memory of his daughter, Ellie Butler, who sadly...

Popular This Week