Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

AM to ‘think about’ leadership bid following calls for female candidate

Published

on

ELUNED MORGAN AM has told the BBC she will ‘think about’ running for the Welsh Labour leadership role, following the announcement that Carwyn Jones is set to stand down from his role later this year.

The AM was responding to a question about whether she would consider putting herself forward for a female candidate to be in the race.

The Minister for Welsh Language and Lifelong Learning’s office is based in Haverfordwest.

Mark Drakeford is so far the only person to confirm they will stand in the leadership race.

Ms Morgan said: “I think it’s very important now to have an opportunity to think about it and we’ll see what happens.

“Maybe I’ll make some sort of comment tomorrow (Apr 26).”

She continued: “The Tory austerity cuts have forced more people into poverty, but the real challenge for us in Wales today is the increasing number of people who suffer from in-work poverty with many struggling to pay their bills which has a severe impact on people’s mental health.

“Any leadership contender needs to have an answer to this and other fundamental questions that impact on people’s daily lives if they want to run the country.

“Many are finding that their household budgets are squeezed as bills continue to rise.  For people, especially on lower incomes, the changing benefits system and the increasing cost of living is making life much more stressful.  In preparation for the roll out of Universal Credit, I’ve brought a whole range of organisations together to make it easy for people to get the information they need, all under one roof.”

Llanelli MP Nia Griffith is among those who has called for a female to enter the leadership contest.

She said: “It would be absolutely shocking if we didn’t have a woman on the shortlist.

“We’ve done a huge amount in the Labour party to try to make sure that women participate absolutely fully.”

News

Milford Haven: Three residents win in Postcode Lottery

Published

on

THREE people in Milford Haven got a lovely surprise this morning (Jan 22) after waking up to the good news that their bank accounts will be boosted by £1,000 each, all thanks to their lucky postcode.

The Roebuck Close neighbours landed the lolly when SA73 1AS was announced as a Daily Prize winner with People’s Postcode Lottery.

People’s Postcode Lottery ambassador Judie McCourt sent her congratulations and said: “What a terrific Tuesday for our players in Milford Haven who have picked up a prize today! I hope they treat themselves to something special with the windfall.”

A minimum of 32% of ticket sales goes directly to charities and players of People’s Postcode Lottery have raised £382 million to date for 5,500 good causes across Great Britain and internationally.

Many good causes local to the winners have benefitted from the money raised, and the next opportunity to apply for funding will be on the 6th of February.

Continue Reading

News

Two men arrested following discovery of illegal slaughterhouse

Published

on

TWO men were arrested on Monday (Jan 21) after a multi-agency response to an illegal slaughterhouse in west Wales.

Police say that live animals were found living amongst carcasses.

As the investigation is ongoing, police have refused to comment where exactly the site of the illegal slaughterhouse was discovered.

Warning: Shocking image below.

A spokesperson for Dyfed-Powys Police’s Rural Crime Team said: “Rural Crime team attended a call with multi-agencies to a report of an illegal slaughterhouse in West Wales.

“Live animals found amongst carcasses.

“Two males were arrested and enquiries are ongoing.

“At this early stage of the investigation we are not prepared to release further information.”

Continue Reading

News

Llangwm: Solicitor jailed for six years for £1m fraud

Published

on

A PEMBROKESHIRE solicitor who overcharged clients by almost £1m has been jailed this week for six years.

Edgar Stephen Thomas, aged 58, charged one client at the rate of £20,000 a week without doing any work at all.

Another was charged at £12,000 a week and went on to lose a total of £100,000.

Thomas, of Stephen’s Green, Deerland Road, Llangwm, admitted 23 offences of fraud and theft, which stopped only when his firm of Steve Thomas and Co was closed down by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority.

Jim Davis, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that Thomas got away with the frauds by deducting monies from the estates of deceased people without telling the beneficiaries.

“He grossly overcharged and then deducted the payments directly from the estates of deceased people,” he said.

“He helped himself without telling them what he was doing.”

The overcharging began in 2005 when he was asked to handle the estate of Richard James Rogers. He charged the estate £41,800 plus VAT but internal documents showed that as the work decreased his bills increased.

Thomas agreed overcharging that estate by £12,000.

Thomas went on to plunder many more accounts.

The most outrageous example, said Mr Davies, related to the estate of Audrey Williams, who died in 2013.

Thomas charged £127,250 plus VAT, sometimes raising–but not posting–two invoices a day. He agreed he had overcharged by £100,000.

Mr Davis said Thomas’ offending did not stop there. His firm was hired by Vaughan’s Radio, an electrical store in Haverfordwest, to handle the purchase of a business in Aberystwyth.

Thomas simply kept for himself £50,000 of the purchase price.

Mr Davis said Thomas had worked for Eaton Evans in Haverfordwest, rising to becoming a partner, before leaving to form his own firm in 2005.

His accounts had to be audited and as a result the SRA were alerted to fears that he was overcharging.

A detailed forensic examination of his accounts was carried out and the fears were confirmed, along with the discovery of a shortfall in his client’s accounts of £144,326.

There was then an administrative error at the SRA and the initial report was not acted upon until June 2014, when a second financial investigation revealed more fraud and he was later struck off.

In February 2015 Thomas was declared bankrupt.

Mr Davis said the SRA had reimbursed those who had lost because of Thomas’ fraudulent behaviour, but there remained the question of costs and whether he could be made to repay any of the money. An investigation under the Proceeds of Crime Act is underway.

Thomas’ barrister, Ian Ibrahim, said his client was now broke and all the money had gone on keeping his business afloat.

“His fall from a high place has been dramatic. His remorse is complete and utterly without qualification.

“He has lost everything and knows that he will go to jail today.”

Judge Keith Thomas said those who worked in the legal profession had to demonstrate the highest level of integrity because the public put trust in them, sometimes at the most stressful times of their life.

“Your victims have described your behaviour as disgusting and despicable.

“You were struck off in 2016 and have had to wait a long time for the process to be complete, but that is partly because you were not willing to admit the extent of your offending,” he added.

Continue Reading
News14 hours ago

Two men arrested following discovery of illegal slaughterhouse

TWO men were arrested on Monday (Jan 21) after a multi-agency response to an illegal slaughterhouse in west Wales. Police...

News1 day ago

Llangwm: Solicitor jailed for six years for £1m fraud

A PEMBROKESHIRE solicitor who overcharged clients by almost £1m has been jailed this week for six years. Edgar Stephen Thomas,...

News2 days ago

Road re-opened following successful bridge replacement

PEMBROKE ROAD in Merlins Bridge, Haverfordwest, has re-opened and train services between Whitland and Milford Haven have resumed as normal,...

News2 days ago

Narberth man sent a semi-naked photograph of his ex to her own son

UNABLE to accept his relationship was over, a Narberth man sent a semi-naked photograph of his ex to her own...

News3 days ago

Merlins Bridge: Work to replace first of two railway bridges well underway

WORK to replace the pre-war Pembroke Road railway bridge is well underway this weekend. As part of the £4.25m upgrade project, engineers...

News5 days ago

Parents concerned over teenage ‘gangs’ threatening violence

CONCERNED parents of Ysgol Harri Tudur pupils have taken to social media after an incident involving teenagers from Milford Haven...

News5 days ago

Begelly: Driver who crashed into JCB was ‘blinded by sun’

A DRIVER who was blinded by early morning sunlight was involved in a crash with a JCB in Begelly yesterday...

News5 days ago

Dropping a fag butt cost nine people hundreds of pounds

NINE people were summonsed to Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Jan 17) after being charged with dropping cigarette ends. The...

News6 days ago

Milford Haven School: Police called over 120 times in just two years

FIGURES obtained by The Pembrokeshire Herald have highlighted the scale of police involvement in Milford Haven School over the last...

News6 days ago

Milford Haven: Booms to be removed following oil spill

BOOMS installed earlier this month to contain an oil spill in the Milford Haven waterway will be removed tomorrow (Jan...

Popular This Week