Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Haverfordwest: Clubbers claim drinks ‘spiked’ at Radio 1 DJ event

Published

on

A CLUB night starring a BBC Radio 1 DJ, Charlie Sloth, ended with a number of party-goers being hospitalised and alleging that they had been spiked with a mixture of MDMA – the component drug of ecstasy – and the prescription drug Valium.

The type of drugs involved in the incident were confirmed by toxicology reports.

Dyfed-Powys Police and the Welsh Ambulance Service have confirmed they attended Eddie Rocks nightclub in Quay Street, Haverfordwest, in the early hours of Monday morning (May 7), as revellers celebrated the Bank Holiday Weekend.

But the owner has hit back, saying that there was no ‘direct evidence’ that anyone was spiked in his venue, and that if they had it would have been caught on CCTV.

Mark Edwards said there were 3000+ people out over the Bank Holiday Weekend, frequenting many venues, and that it could be the case that the drugs were administered elsewhere. He said that people move from venue to venue and ‘we are always the last place they turn up to’.

A 22-year-old man said that he felt ‘very dizzy’ after drinking his vodka and lemonade in Eddie Rocks, and then the next minute his friend said that he had passed out in the beer garden. He woke up in hospital.

The man previously was a member of staff and says he is not a drug user.

Security staff had carried him out of the premises and he was taken to A&E by ambulance. A 21-year-old female made it home but later was taken to hospital by her father after she became dizzy and unresponsive.

At approximately 4:45am, a further individual was taken to hospital via ambulance, police confirmed.

Those being treated at hospital said they were told by hospital staff that there were at least three others presenting with similar symptoms.

The man told us: “I was in the smoking area, then I was on the main dance floor, I went outside for a cigarette at about half past 12, that’s when I started to feel really bad.

“There was nobody suspicious around me, I didn’t see anyone around my drink – but I did put it down a lot.

“When I woke up I was shaky, hallucinating, talking to my friend – who is dead – and then I was also talking to my friends who weren’t even there.

“I can’t thank the hospital staff enough, they saved my life, really did everything I could have asked.

“My mother wasn’t too happy afterwards, I can’t remember much of what she said though because I didn’t come around until Monday evening. I was shaking, trying to sleep, it was a nightmare.

“I will definitely be a lot more careful in the future about how I handle my drinks.

“My friend was spiked too – she went to go home and as she did she collapsed, so her dad rushed her to her hospital. We’ll get married one day and this will be our story of how we first met.

“She was rough all day and suffering just like me. She felt quite embarrassed, to be honest.”

The owner of Eddie Rocks, Mark Edwards, told The Herald that there are ‘over 136 cameras in the club, every inch of the venue is covered by high-quality CCTV’.

“This system protects our doormen, staff and customers,” he added.

“We have invested over £70,000 and more for this system over the years and nothing can happen without us knowing it.

“I personally watch the cameras from 11pm to 5am when the club is open, and I think that our system is better than any police CCTV centre in the country.”

Mr Edwards says he has not yet been contacted by police in relation to the incident.

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called on Monday May 7, 2018 at approximately 2.05am to reports that a male was taken ill outside Eddie Rocks Snooker and Pool Club on Quay Street in Haverfordwest.

“We responded with one emergency ambulance and a man was taken to Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest.”

A spokesperson for Dyfed-Powys Police said: “We received three calls reporting concerns for people’s welfare in the Quay Street and Bridge Street areas of Haverfordwest during the early hours of Monday, May 7.

“The first was received at just before 2.10am. One man was taken to hospital by the ambulance service. The second was received shortly after, but the male concerned had left the area. A third call was received by police at 4.45am, from a caller requesting ambulance assistance.”

News

Herald prize giveaway winners announced

Published

on

THE WINNERS of The Pembrokeshire Herald 300th issue prize giveaway have been announced.

Combining both online and postal entries, just shy of 3,000 people entered the competition.

To celebrate the 300th issue of The Pembrokeshire Herald, the newspaper contacted many of its advertisers, and assembled roughly £3,000 worth of prizes. Three lucky people won 11 prizes each. Those winners were announced as Chantelle Boswell, Sue Hedley and Amanda Jayne McKnight.

Herald Editor Tom Sinclair said: “This is one of our biggest ever competitions, with thousands of pounds worth of prizes – everyone at the Herald is looking forward to handing over these amazing prizes to the lucky winners.”

THE WINNERS

Chantelle Boswell won: a £50 voucher for a start up tropical fish set from Coast Aquatics; entry for two at Hangar 5; a £100 Tesco voucher; a £50 voucher for Haven Tyres; Clerkenhill Adventure Park family pass for two adults and four children; a free makeover by professional make-up artist Simone Bowen; two start-up guitar lessons; a £25 voucher for Clever Clogs in Haverfordwest; a family pass for Borth Wild Animal Kingdom; grass cut to the value of £25 from Top Notch Gardening and a luxury meal for two at the Griffin Inn, Dale.

Sue Hedley won: Sunday lunch for two from The Old Coach House in Fishguard; a full set of Pronails gel extensions from Betsan’s Beauty worth £40; one hour of laser tag for eight people at CQB Adventure; two fish and chip suppers from Fecci & Son’s; a free dental examination worth £60 from West Street Dental in Fishguard; a MOT voucher worth £45 for Top of Town Motors in Fishguard; a £25 voucher for Bombay Brasserie; tickets for Cats the musical; two tickets for Wales v England on August 17 in a Rugby World Cup warm-up match; a family pass for Oakwood Theme Park and free issues of The Herald for the rest of the year.

Amanda Jayne Mcknight won: a £100 Currys voucher; a £20 BBQ voucher for Prendergast Butchers; Sunday lunch for two from the Bus Stop Café; a men’s haircut once a month for rest of 2019 from Freestyle Barbers; one litre of homemade ice cream from Hooked @ 31; a bottle of Welsh Gin from the Royal Oak; brow definition treatment from Fab-u-lash; a £40 voucher for Jamangie Trading; dermal planning treatment from Coastal Aesthetics; a three month gym membership worth £105 for Synergy in Pembroke Dock and a family ticket for Easter Funday at Ffos Las.

The three winners will visit the Herald office for a chance to win a week in a Welsh holiday cottage, which would normally cost £1,000. This prize will be drawn on Tuesday April 23 at 4.30pm.

Continue Reading

News

Have your say on the Development Plan for Pembrokeshire

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE County Council is reviewing its Local Development Plan.

The new Plan will shape planning and development in Pembrokeshire for the next 15 years.

Between 17 December 2018 and 4 February 2019, the Council consulted on a Preferred Strategy for the new Plan.

At the same time, it consulted on several other related documents, including a Register of Candidate Sites, these being sites suggested to the Council for development or for protection from development, for possible inclusion in the new Plan.

During the consultation period, a further opportunity was provided to submit Candidate Sites.

In consequence, a further 55 sites were received, these being known as the Additional Candidate Sites.

As the Council provided an opportunity to comment on the initial tranche of Candidate Sites, it is now providing a like opportunity to comment on the 55 Additional Candidate Sites.

This opportunity is specific to the 55 additional sites submitted between 17 December 2018 and 4 February 2019, and does not apply to the initial batch of sites.

The consultation period for submission of comments on the Additional Candidate Sites runs from the 17 April 2019 to the 6 June 2019 at 4.30pm.

The Additional Candidate Sites Register is available to view on the Council’s web-site (see link below) and also at County Hall, Haverfordwest, in Pembrokeshire County Council Customer Service Centres and in local Libraries, during normal opening hours.

https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/local-development-plan-review/candidate-sites

To find out more, you can contact the Local Development Plan team on 01437 764551 or by emailing ldp@pembrokeshire.gov.uk

Continue Reading

News

West Wales responds to Notre-Dame ‘tragedy’

Published

on

Notre-Dame de Paris: The large fire partially destroyed the cathedral on Monday

THE WORLD has reacted to the major fire that partially destroyed Notre-Dame Cathedral, with religious leaders of west Wales among those to have sent prayers to Paris.

The large fire on Monday (Apr 15) damaged much of the historic landmark, destroying the roof as well as the famous spire. The fire began at around 6:30pm local time (4:30pm GMT) and it took until 10am (8am GMT) on Tuesday morning for firefighters to fully extinguish the blaze. Many of the relics held in the cathedral, including the crown of thorns brought there in 1239 by St. Louis, said to be that which was placed on the head of Jesus leading up to his crucifixion, were saved by firefighters. One firefighter is said to have suffered minor injuries while tackling the fire. The cause of the fire is not yet clear, but Paris’ public prosecutor is working under the assumption that it was an accident.

Whilst the principal structure was saved, including the famed towers, the building is still seen as unstable. Prior to the fire, there was already scaffolding in place to deal with the cracks appearing in the stonework. Renovations were underway and 16 copper statues had already been removed last week.

Notre-Dame de Paris, meaning ‘Our Lady of Paris’, is one of the most widely recognised symbols of France, and is recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage site. The site of the cathedral is thought to have been of religious significance dating back as far as Roman Gaul. The construction of the modern church began in 1163, and the cathedral is considered one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture.

Already hundreds of millions of euros have been donated towards the reconstruction of the site, as people across the world have reacted to the news and sent both prayers and funds to Paris.

Bishop of Menevia Tom Burns said: “For a thousand years it has stood as a beacon of prayer and hope. But what a tragedy struck Paris and the French nation on Monday evening at the Cathedral of Notre-Dame. It is a beautiful creation that resides at the very heart of French life and in the hearts of French people wherever they happen to be, of whatever faith or none. It has struck chords in all people of good will who have walked through its doors into an arena of peace and calm.

“Some years ago, after wondering at the flying-buttresses that supported the thick stone walls, I had entered under that roof, never conscious of the vulnerability of its wooden structure. As I saw on television on Monday evening the fire raging through the roof, and the spire disintegrating piece by piece, I felt a lump in my throat. I shared with the people of France my sense of having once touched something quite unique. For, it had been my privilege, as Bishop of HM Forces, to preach from the Cathedral’s vast pulpit on Remembrance Sunday just over a decade ago.

“Now this was another sad occasion to remember, though thankfully without any loss of life. As York Minster was resurrected from the flames some years ago, and similarly Windsor Castle in more recent times, may the experts in restoring ancient buildings combine their God-given skills to rebuilding Notre-Dame de Paris. May it rise from the ashes to fulfil its function as God’s House in this world and to re-assure us that such a building evokes belonging and inspires us to greater things. It is still greatly needed, if not even more so now.”

Fr. Liam Bradley, Parish Priest at St David and St Patrick Church in Haverfordwest, said: “We hold in our hearts and prayers those who take risks to save life and property. May God bless the skills of craftsmen and women as they undertake the task of rebuilding.

“God our Father, let the community of Paris come together in this moment of difficulty and grace, to rebuild your house and do you honour, and so provide an enduring monument of how high the human spirit can soar in the face of adversity.

“As buildings crumble, may our faith be strong; from the ashes, may new fruit be born. Through the intercession of Our Lady of Paris, may all the people of France be filled with the peace and joy of Jesus Christ, risen for us at Easter. Amen.

“St Denis – Pray for us!”

Continue Reading
News3 days ago

West Wales responds to Notre-Dame ‘tragedy’

THE WORLD has reacted to the major fire that partially destroyed Notre-Dame Cathedral, with religious leaders of west Wales among...

News5 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council prepares for European Elections

THE 2019 European Parliament election is due to be held on Thursday, 23rd May. Initially, the elections were not planned...

News5 days ago

Kilgetty: Biker killed in roundabout accident

EMERGENCY SERVICES including the air ambulance are responding to an accident involving a motorbike at Kilgetty roundabout. A spokesperson for...

News7 days ago

Milford Haven: Chainsaw raid on suspected drug dealers, three arrested

THE ONGOING battle between police and drug dealers in Milford Haven continued this week with police arresting three people, and...

News1 week ago

Hundreds of county businesses eligible for rate relief

MORE than 500 small and medium-sized businesses in Pembrokeshire can apply for rate relief of up to £2,500 thanks to...

News1 week ago

Haverfordwest: Man found dead at City Road Cemetery

THE WAS a large police presence at City Road Cemetery in Haverfordwest on Thursday afternoon (Apr 11). Police vehicles, and...

News1 week ago

Neyland Community School closing early on Fridays

NEYLAND COMMUNITY SCHOOL is giving its 300 pupils Friday afternoons off, with that time set to be used to provide...

News1 week ago

Police appeal for missing Haverfordwest man

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is searching for missing 32-year-old Jonathan Wheelhouse, aka John Hilling, who was last seen in Haverfordwest at around...

News2 weeks ago

Steve Baxter jailed for life, and will not be released for at least 24 years

STEVE Baxter, who stabbed Simon Clark to death at a caravan park in Pendine, has been jailed for life at...

News2 weeks ago

Kilgetty: 64,000-strong hen farm set for approval

A KILGETTY farm could soon be home to 64,000 hens if plans are approved by Pembrokeshire County Council’s Planning Committee...

Popular This Week