Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Council elects new Chairman and deputy

Published

on

COUNCILLOR Tom Richards took over as the new Chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council from Cllr Arwyn Williams at the annual council meeting Last Friday.

Cllr Wynne Evans will be his new Vice Chairman after he was chosen over Cllr Phil Baker by 40 votes to 15.

Outgoing Chairman Arwyn Williams said: “This is a sad day for me, but it has been a very happy and enjoyable past 12 months. I am pleased to be handing over the role into the very capable hands of Tom Richards”.

Cllr Williams went on to mention various events that he had the privilege of witnessing during his time as chairman – none more so than his visit with the Queen last week.

He also paid tribute to those who had worked tirelessly during the storms at the start of the year.

He concluded by saying: “I want to thank you, the members, I may not have seen eye to eye with all of you but I appreciate your support. I thank you for the honour you bestowed on me 12 months ago, I’ve done my best”.

Cllr Huw George gave a vote of thanks to Cllr Williams saying: “You can look back with pride on what you’ve done. You’ve done a good job, you’ve done it well”.

Cllr Tom Richards said: “I am looking forward to the next 12 months, not only outside but serving here in the chamber. I hope that we can make decisions for the benefit of our county”.

Councillor Tom Richards joined the Council in its inception in 1996 as the member for the Letterston electoral division.

Sixty-year-old Councillor Richards was born in St Ishmaels to a Pembrokeshire farming family which can trace its roots in the county back to the 1700s.

The family moved to farm in Hayscastle in 1963. Councillor Richards attended St Ishmaels and Hayscastle primary schools and later Haverfordwest Grammar School for Boys.

After school, he went back to the family livestock and arable farm in Hayscastle. The 200-acre farm is now tenanted, and Councillor Richards lives in a former rectory nearby with his wife Mel. He also owns a farm in Croesgoch.

Councillor Richards is vice-chairman of the Corporate Governance, Economy Overview and Scrutiny, and Audit committees, as well as being a member of several other committees.

He has also served as a community councillor since his twenties, and is still on Hayscastle Community Council as well as serving as a governor of Ysgol Ger y Llan.

He and Mel, who also comes from an established Pembrokeshire farming family, have two daughters. The eldest, Sophie, is a chemical engineer in France, and the youngest, Julie, is a consultant for Deloittes in London.

Councillor Richards succeeds Councillor Arwyn Williams of Pembroke as Chairman. He was proposed for office by Councillor David Lloyd and seconded by Councillor Rhys Sinnett.

A vote of thanks to the outgoing Chairman was proposed by the Deputy Leader of the Authority, Councillor Huw George.

The Council’s new Vice Chairman is Councillor Wynne Evans who represents the electoral division of Narberth.

Cllr Evans described it as “A very momentous day for me”.

The ceremony in County Hall, Haverfordwest, was attended by the Lord Lieutenant of Dyfed, The Hon Robin Lewis OBE.

 

councile

Pictured left to right are: (seated) Councillor Arwyn Williams, Chief Executive Bryn Parry-Jones, Councillor Tom Richards, Mrs Mel Richards, Councillor Wynne Evans, The Hon. Robin Lewis, (standing) Mrs Elizabeth Williams, Mrs Sarah Parry-Jones, Councillor Rob Lewis, Councillor Jamie Adams, Councillor Huw George, Mrs Gwyneth John (Vice-Chairman’s Consort) and Mrs Judith Lewis

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Monkton man with ‘no regard for the law’ jailed for two attempted robberies

Published

on

A MAN who threatened to stab a vulnerable victim just a day after trying to commit a robbery against a stranger has been jailed.

Dyfed-Powys Police officers arrested 29-year-old Jamie Rawlinson 20 minutes after receiving a report that he’d threatened to stab a stranger on June 26.

The victim reported that Rawlinson, of Colley Court, in Monkton, had approached him outside his home and held a sharp object to his chest.

The victim managed to get inside his house safely, and called the police.

Rawlinson was arrested 20 minutes later and taken to police custody, where he was interviewed the following day, and released on bail with conditions while officers carried out enquiries.

But just hours later, he was under arrest for a second time.

Detective Sergeant Tanya Rendell said: “The suspect was released on bail with stringent conditions to comply to while we carried out an investigation into the offence. There were a number of enquiries we needed to progress, which would take longer than we would have been able to keep him in custody. Despite the conditions imposed the suspect clearly had no regard for the law or the conditions imposed, and with less than three hours after being released, went on to commit another attempted robbery, this time against a vulnerable man who was known to him.

“The pair had met at a friend’s house and had gone for a walk, when they ended up in an alleyway.

“The victim was physically assaulted – punched and kicked – and was threatened that he would be stabbed if he didn’t give Rawlinson £40 and tobacco.”

PCSOs on patrol saw the victim and took him to a place of safety. Rawlinson, who was still in the area was arrested following this.

He was charged with two counts of attempt robbery and appeared at Swansea Crown Court, where he was sentenced to six years in prison.

DS Rendell said: “This was a swift an comprehensive investigation, involving officers from a number of teams. Evidence was captured by Neighbourhood Policing Teams at the scene, which was followed up with house-to-house and CCTV enquiries, as well as work from the dog unit, CID and firearms officers.

“This excellent teamwork secured the evidence needed to get a charge, conviction and a prison sentence for a man who is clearly a danger to the community.”

Continue Reading

News

Surge in reports of personal watercraft incidents on the South Pembrokeshire Coast

Published

on

THE NATIONAL PARK is appealing for riders of personal watercraft to consider the impact of their activities on other visitors and wildlife following a recent rise in reported incidents.

Launching the small jet-powered boats has already been banned in a number of locations around the Pembrokeshire Coast due to the actions of irresponsible riders and the noise nuisance generated by the crafts.

Recent reports include a personal watercraft weaving at high speed through the moorings close to the shore in Dale and a near miss with a kayaker in Freshwater East.

Park Authority Chief Executive, Tegryn Jones said: “Noisy, intrusive activities such as personal watercraft riding are not generally welcome on the Pembrokeshire Coast due to their impact on the special qualities of the National Park.

“Peace and tranquillity are some of key things that our residents and visitors value and perhaps more importantly our rare and protected wildlife depends on it. One inconsiderate jet-powered craft user has the potential to ruin the day of hundreds of other people.

“High visitor numbers mean many people are taking to the water in various vessels and kayaks and stand up paddleboards are particularly vulnerable to being overturned by the heavy wakes generated by personal watercraft.

“We are urging people to stick to the dedicated aquabatics zones on the Milford Haven Waterway and follow the ‘dead slow’ and minimum wake guidelines that are in place around beaches, harbours and other people.”

Anyone heading out into the water around the Pembrokeshire Coast is reminded to read and follow the Pembrokeshire Marine Code to minimise any disturbance to wildlife and to enable you to have the best experience possible.

Further information and maps highlighting the dedicated personal watercraft and aquabatics zones on the Milford Haven Waterway is available from the Port of Milford Haven website: https://www.mhpa.co.uk/powered-craft/.

To find out how you can minimise disturbance to wildlife while enjoying the waters around the Pembrokeshire Coast visit the Pembrokeshire Marine Code website: https://www.pembrokeshiremarinecode.org.uk/.

Continue Reading

News

Johnston: Police appeal after boy on scooter injured in collision

Published

on

POLICE are appealing for witnesses after a collision in Johnston, near Haverfordwest, on Wednesday (Aug 5).

A boy on a scooter sustained minor injuries during the collision, which took place at around 4.20pm.

A red 4×4 is also believed to have been involved.

Anyone who was in the area of the St Peters Road pelican crossing, or nearby Langford road, and either witnessed the collision or who has CCTV that covers this area is asked to get in touch with Dyfed-Powys Police

As spokesman said: “You can telephone 101 or email contactcentre@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired you can text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Please quote Dyfed-Powys Police Ref DP-20200805-249.”

Continue Reading
News1 day ago

Monkton man with ‘no regard for the law’ jailed for two attempted robberies

A MAN who threatened to stab a vulnerable victim just a day after trying to commit a robbery against a...

News1 day ago

Surge in reports of personal watercraft incidents on the South Pembrokeshire Coast

THE NATIONAL PARK is appealing for riders of personal watercraft to consider the impact of their activities on other visitors...

News2 days ago

Police ask communities to stay alert to prevent raves this weekend

Police are asking communities to stay alert to prevent raves this weekend. As we head into the weekend, police are...

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest: Appeal for information following incident at Morrisons

POLICE are investigating a shoplifting and assault allegation which occurred at approximately 3.20pm on Saturday (Aug 1) at Morrisons, Haverfordwest....

News3 days ago

Dowson hits out as complaints dismissed

CONTROVERSIAL Pembroke Dock County Councillor Paul Dowson has hit out at his critics after Wales’ Public Services Ombudsman rejected complaints...

News3 days ago

Haverfordwest: Tributes from family for Lola James, 2

DAN THOMAS, the father of two-year-old Lola James from Haverfordwest, who sadly died in hospital on July 21, has paid...

News4 days ago

Milford Haven coastguards launch six lifeboats and task helicopter to hoax call

MILFORD HAVEN Coastguard Operations Centre swung into action last night following an emergency call, tasking SIX lifeboats and a rescue...

News5 days ago

Eat Out to Help Out Launches today – with Government paying half on restaurant bills

FROM today, Monday, August 3, customers will get up to 50% off on bills when visiting participating restaurants, pubs and...

News5 days ago

Specialist officers undertaking detailed examination at tragic Lola’s home

SPECIALIST police officers at are Princess Royal Way in Haverfordwest today (Aug 3) as part of the investigation into the...

News5 days ago

First Minister eases COVID restrictions

NEW rules have come into force today (Monday Aug 3) to make it easier for family and friends to meet...

Popular This Week