Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Milford Haven: ‘Unexploded bomb’ at Costa Coffee site

Published

on

POLICE in Milford Haven have sealed off the Costa Coffee Drive Thru site after builders working there found what they believe is an unexploded bomb World War II this morning (Sept 11).

Emergency services arrived at the scene at around 11.00am, and shortly afterwards construction workers showed photographs which they had taken of the suspected unexploded ordinance to officers.

Police sealed off the pavement nearest the site, but allowed traffic to flow along the A4076, near the Tesco roundabout as they deemed it was safe.

Police: Talking with workers at the scene (pic. Herald)

An official from Milford Haven Port Authority, which owns the site, was on hand to assist police with their operation.

A spokesperson from the Port of Milford Haven said: “We have been informed by contractors working at the Costa Coffee site that they have uncovered a suspicious looking object which they believe to be an unexploded World War ordnance device, although this has not yet been confirmed.

“The contractors contacted the police who have arrived on site and are directing public away from the nearby footpath as a precaution until the identity of the object can be confirmed.  

“We understand that the object uncovered this morning at the Costa Coffee site is believed to be a World War Two Ordnance Device.  Dyfed Powys Police have advised us that the Bomb Disposal Unit are on route.”

A police spokesperson added: “Dyfed-Powys Police was called to a building site on Victoria Road at Milford Haven Docks following the discovery of a suspected unexploded bomb at around 11am this morning (September 11).

“Experts from the Bomb Disposal Unit are en route to safely dispose of the item, which is believed to be an Ordnance Spigot Mortar.”

Construction site: The mound of dirt is believed to have been where the discovery was made (pic. Herald)

50 raids in Milford’s history

During the Second World War, Milford Haven housed roughly 1,000 American military personnel.
They manned an amphibious base which included a hospital built in Hakin and a docks complex at Newton Noyes, and activity was focused on mine sweeping of the Haven, which was subject to aircraft attack on 50 occasions.

The town itself avoided serious damage as bombs were seldom dropped on land, despite being home to a large fish market, flax factory, mines depot and housing the previously mentioned military personnel.

Yet some incidents did occur, and in the summer of 1941 a bomb fell in fields near Priory Road, and later that same year, a bomb damaged a house in Brooke Avenue. There were no casualties in either incident.

August 1941 saw the Meades Farm hit in an unsuccessful attack on Air Ministry underground petroleum tanks in Priory Pill, which resulted in non-fatal injuries.

Empty: Staff had stopped all construction work (pic. Herald)

In June 2012, Bomb disposal experts have carried out a controlled explosion on a German Second World War mine found by a diver on the bed of Milford Haven waterway just off Watwick Point, near Dale.

Just one month later, Navy bomb disposal officers were once more called to Milford Haven after environmental research divers found an unexploded 250kg bomb less than a mile from the port’s LNG Dragon terminal.

A spokesman for the Milford Haven Port Authority said at the time that in one of the world’s deepest natural harbours, the ordinance did not pose a danger to the gas works.

News

Mount Estate: Man arrested after gas explosion threat

Published

on

Armed police: In the Mount Estate (pic. Herald)

ARMED POLICE have arrested a man on the Mount Estate in Milford Haven this afternoon (Oct 16) after responding to reports of a man who is threatening to set a fire using the gas supply in his flat.

The windows of the first floor flat, in Birch Mead, were smashed and a man was shouting to officers below threatening to cause an explosion.

Threatening: To cause an explosion (pic. Herald)

A Herald reporter at the scene had counted at least a dozen Dyfed-Powys Police vehicles, including vans and undercover cars.

Nearby residents have been evacuated and a cordon has been set up.

Emergency services: Gathered by the flat (pic. Herald)

Police asked residents and a Herald reporter at the scene to move back further after the arrival of the armed officers.

Mid & West Wales Fire and Rescue, as well as specialists from the gas board, are also at the scene.

Watching: Locals were evacuated (pic. Herald)

A large crowd has gathered by the cordon.

MORE TO FOLLOW.

Armed officers: Locals were asked to move back upon their arrival (pic. Herald)

Continue Reading

News

Work goes on for NRW in aftermath of storm

Published

on

AFTER a weekend of heavy rain and floods which hit South West Wales particularly hard, the clear up has begun.

For Natural Resources Wales officers this means inspecting flood defences and other assets to assess and repair any damage caused by the high river levels and volumes of water.

Jeremy Parr, NRW Head of Flood and Incident Risk Management said:

“Our sympathies go out to anybody impacted by these floods and Storm Callum, it is an unwelcome reminder of the damage that severe weather can do.

“While some communities were significantly affected, for many the flood defences did their job and reduced the worst of the impacts.

The weekend storm caused 80 properties to flood across south west Wales and led to major disruption of businesses and transport across the whole of the country.

The River Teifi at Llandysul reached its highest level since records began in 1971 and the Towey above Carmarthen was at its highest since 1987.

NRW officers were on duty around the clock ensuring defence structures were sound, operating flood gates, erecting temporary defences and clearing trash screens.

In Abergwili, in the Tywi Valley, the flood gates were closed and prevented flooding despite the water level rising to within 180mm of the top of the gate, just short of the evacuation trigger of 150mm.

More people than ever visited NRW’s website to check the latest flood warning information. Before and during Storm Callum NRW’s flood pages received more than half a million-page views, while warning and informing messages on social media reached over 110,000 people.

Jeremy added: “After any major flooding event there are lessons to be learned and Storm Callum is no exception, so we will review what took place and how we responded to identify where improvements can be made.

“As is usual after any flood event, we now have our people out and about checking our defences for any damage, and to ensure they can continue to help protect people and property.”

“We won’t just look at the flood defence network, but also at our incident response and our warning and informing before, during and after the incident.

“While there were significant impacts in some areas, the initial indications are that these elements worked well.

“We will be working with our partners in local government and the emergency services to ensure we continue where possible to reduce the impacts of incidents like this.”

Continue Reading

News

Police appeal following five burglaries

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for information that could help their investigation into five burglaries in the Solva and St Davids areas.

They are thought to have happened between 8pm and midnight on Sunday, September 30. Cash, jewellery and a mobile phone were stolen.

A witness has described seeing a man wearing tracksuit bottoms in the area at the time. He may have been a passenger in a small silver car.

A man (aged 32) and woman (aged 39) from Cardiff have been arrested on suspicion of burglary. The woman has been released under investigation while the man has been recalled to prison for a separate offence.

The investigation is ongoing, anyone who saw anything, or has any information is asked to contact Sgt. Huw Watson at Haverfordwest Police Station by calling 101.

If you are Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Continue Reading
News12 hours ago

Mount Estate: Man arrested after gas explosion threat

ARMED POLICE have arrested a man on the Mount Estate in Milford Haven this afternoon (Oct 16) after responding to...

News14 hours ago

Work goes on for NRW in aftermath of storm

AFTER a weekend of heavy rain and floods which hit South West Wales particularly hard, the clear up has begun....

News17 hours ago

Police appeal following five burglaries

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for information that could help their investigation into five burglaries in the Solva and St Davids areas....

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Rescuers attend to ‘females on roof’

POLICE have been dealing with a 999 call from the Mount Estate, Milford Haven this evening (Oct 15), following concerns...

News1 day ago

Letterston: Man jailed after £10,000 blackmail plot

A LETTERSTON man tried to blackmail £10,000 from a man who had sexual activity with him when they were both...

News2 days ago

Police say ‘stop protecting’ murder suspect Steve Baxter

JUST over two weeks ago Simon Clark, aged 54, was found dead at Grove Caravan Park in Pendine, Carmarthenshire. Dyfed-Powys...

News2 days ago

Pembrokeshire man drowned in stormy Cardiff waters

A PEMBROKESHIRE man tragically drowned in the stormy waters at Penarth Marina near Cardiff on the weekend. The 32-year-old, who...

News2 days ago

Police name Carmarthenshire man killed by Storm Callum landslide

DYFED-POWYS POLICE has confirmed the man who died in a landslide at Cwmduad during Storm Callum yesterday (Oct 13) is...

News3 days ago

Police urge for only ‘essential travel’ during Storm Callum

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is urging people not to put themselves at risk, as they deal with the fallout of Storm Callum....

News4 days ago

New Transport For Wales train service to start tomorrow

TRANSPORT FOR WALES is taking over the national rail service from Arriva Trains Wales tomorrow (Oct 14). Arriva, who has...

Popular This Week