Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembroke: £210,000 new build Persimmon home has over 80 issues

Published

on

A FURIOUS homeowner is taking housing developers Persimmon to court after claiming to have over 80 issues unresolved with his new home.

Darren Harris, who says the state of the house has driven his wife to tears, has served the company court papers and has urged others in his situation to do the same.

His house, in Pembroke’s Martello Park development, has issues ranging from bad brickwork, poorly installed drain covers, a broken door, uneven surfaces, and much more.

At one point, he broke his foot when he hit a drain cover which was sticking out of the ground.

He paid £210,000 for the four-bed house.

Mr Harris, who lives in the Midlands and was planning on letting the house, has now spent thousands on fixing issues himself after failing to get help from the property developer.

He says he has lost at least £1,600 which he would have generated from renting out the property as it is not suitable for tenants to live in.

Posting on Facebook to warn others, Mr Harris said: “This is our £210,000 persimmon (timber frame under single skin brick) house.

“There are 81 plus issues most of which persimmon haven’t and won’t fix. I’ve just served court papers on them and urge you to do the same [if you are in the same position].

“This has had my wife in tears multiple times and even caused me a broken foot through shoddy workmanship outside, we are simply gutted!

“We are at court stage and even though we took time off work and drove from our Midlands home to Swansea last Monday to try and resolve the construction director dealing with us just called the police and had us removed stating we were harassing them.

“How does buying a house get to this stage?”

A Persimmon Homes spokesperson said: “We are aware of Mr Harris’ concerns and we are working to reach a satisfactory conclusion.

“We have many happy customers across South Wales and we take customer service seriously.”

News

‘Multiple serious injuries’ after Haven Hotel incident, say police

Published

on

POLICE arrested a man who caused “mayhem” in a Milford Haven pub on Sunday evening (Mar 17).

Police said that a male suspected of causing “multiple serious injuries” had been detained, but the investigation was ongoing into reports of serious violence. Milford police were assisted by officers from Tenby in tracking down and arresting the suspect.

A witness told The Herald that a man, who was not a regular customer of the premises “went mad” – knocking an older drinker, a gentleman, off his stool – punching the licensee in the head – and breaking the arm of a barmaid.

It is not known why the man acted violently in the premises, and it is understood he was not known to the management or other customers.

The witness said: “I saw three or more police vehicles outside The Haven – maybe five officers – there was a lot of confusion. The suspect in the case has already fled, but was later found and arrested – possibly in another pub nearby.”

“I saw one injured person, a female, being treated in an ambulance.”

A police Twitter account posted: “Police have responded to an incident last night at around 8.15pm where multiple people received serious injuries. Police were on scene at Hamilton Terrace quickly and the suspect was arrested. The investigation is still ongoing.”

“Code B response team would like to thank PCSOs Brown and Osmolak for staying on duty to assist and also to the attending Tenby police officers for providing resilience.”

Continue Reading

News

Milford Waterfront development promoted at prestigious international property event

Published

on

MILFORD WATERFRONT was one of six Welsh projects to be showcased by the Department of International Trade at MIPIM, an international property event.

Part of Wales’ first property portfolio, which is worth £1.19 billion, the Milford Waterfront development is being recognised as a leading investment opportunity in Wales, with a focus on the development of a 10,000m² indoor immersive digital experiential leisure attraction.

The Milford Waterfront development represents the ambition of the Port of Milford Haven to significantly increase visitor numbers to Milford Haven, both drawing on and supporting the thriving tourism industry in Pembrokeshire, by developing a leisure-led, mixed-use destination that significantly expands the facilities and assets surrounding the existing 300-berth marina.

Neil Jenkins, Development Director, Port of Milford Haven commented: “Being acknowledged as one of the leading developments not only in Wales but in the UK is an incredible recognition for Milford Waterfront.

“This is a bold project but one that we are passionate about. It forms part of a wider business strategy to diversify into new markets and create new economic opportunities not just for the Port but for the entire region. We have a fantastic opportunity to revitalise the marina and docks and create a unique destination that Pembrokeshire and Wales can be proud of and we are excited to be showcasing that at MIPIM.”

The event took place in Cannes, France between March 12 and March 15.

Continue Reading

News

Residents ‘let down’ over new Jameston homes

Published

on

38 NEW homes could be built in Jameston, Tenby, if approved by the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park’s officers.

Members of the Park’s Development Management Committee gave their support for delegated approval to be given and there were no less than 31 conditions attached to the application.

The new homes could be built on land opposite Bush Terrace but there were objections from residents and Manorbier Community Council.

Cllr Phil Kidney raised concerns about the affordable homes being built on a separate part of the site to others saying it would create a ‘them and us’ situation.

He went on to state his unease with the plans and said the residents felt ‘very let down’ by the National Park.

Objecting to the plans, Mary Sinclair said: “Planning notices were not seen, if they were seen, they were not there. Nobody saw a notice advertising this application.

“The National Park doesn’t have a policy to prevent these being sold off as second homes. The proposal is also contrary to Welsh Government’s policy on farmland.

“In 2017, a replacement system was introduced which has to be used. This is the best and most versatile land and should be protected for future generations.

“The wall crossing the site cannot just be moved, it is part of the landscape. We would be left with a stark line of homes with no childrens playground, no safe walking route to school.

Where is the well-being of future generations? There are no solar panels, the gardens aren’t large enough and this project is building over land with the highest protection possible.

There has to be an extra-ordinary reason for you to approve this.”

Applicant Harry Thomas responded to some of the points raised saying: “The application is presented as it is. We don’t have the scale and size to build affordable homes and sell them off.

“We will be using a smaller developer, using local trade.

“Jameston will not see 38 new homes built in the next 12 months. We have been working on this application with the National Park for many years. To go at a fast pace would be far worse.

This allows us to create more work in the winter months.”

Cllr Kidney then read out a letter from Mr Ray Hughes, chairman of Manorbier Community Council.

He stated that many issues had not been considered fairly and that over 30 members of the public attended a meeting discussing the application.

Mr Hughes also spoke on the Government’s policy to encourage children to walk to school adding that a footpath should be installed.
Cllr Tony Wilcox said he found it ‘difficult’ how there was no section 106 agreement towards a footpath to the school but an officer stated that a footpath could be installed in the future.

Cllr Mike Evans questioned what affordable housing was adding that these new homes would be social housing which would be rented out by a registered landlord.

Cllr Kidney then gave his own views on the application saying: “There is a lay-by in front of Bush Terrace and there are going to be two entrances.

“I have got no problem with the development, the stone wall has been a big feature of Jameston. This is creating a development with affordable homes separate to the others. That is just creating a them and us situation and that is a big fault. The affordable housing should be integrated in.

“There is a lot of concern here. There is no problem with space so I don’t know why we need to encroach. We could make bigger gardens, this is about giving everybody a fair crack at the whip. There is a lot of discomfort about it, the residents feel very let down that none of the points raised were considered. It is not fair on them but there is not a lot we can do about it and I want to state my unease with this development.”

When it was put to a vote the committee were unanimous in giving delegated authority for the plans to be approved.

Continue Reading
News4 hours ago

‘Multiple serious injuries’ after Haven Hotel incident, say police

POLICE arrested a man who caused “mayhem” in a Milford Haven pub on Sunday evening (Mar 17). Police said that...

News17 hours ago

Milford Waterfront development promoted at prestigious international property event

MILFORD WATERFRONT was one of six Welsh projects to be showcased by the Department of International Trade at MIPIM, an...

News2 days ago

Barclays branches in Milford Haven, Pembroke and Narberth will all close soon

THREE of the five remaining Barclays Bank branches in Pembrokeshire will be closing in the coming months The Pembrokeshire Herald...

News2 days ago

Pembrokeshire College: Student film-makers highlight driving dangers

CREATIVE media students at Pembrokeshire College have highlighted the ‘Fatal 5’ of driving. The students were invited to create short...

News3 days ago

Council counters in Fishguard, Neyland and Milford Haven to shut

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL will be closing its customer service centres in Fishguard, Neyland and Milford Haven at the end of...

News3 days ago

Reports damning for City Deal management

THE PUBLICATION of two reports on Friday, March 15, has shone a light into corners of the Swansea Bay City...

News4 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Defendant jailed for bringing a knife to court

A PEMBROKE DOCK man has been jailed after turning up to court carrying a craft knife. Wayne Steven Davies, 30,...

News4 days ago

Fishguard: Work stops on Chimney’s Link scheme

FOLLOWING the news that construction company Dawnus has gone into administration, work on the £1.1million Chimney’s Link scheme in Fishguard...

News5 days ago

Saundersfoot: Farm fire extinguished in ‘horrendous weather conditions’

CREWS from Tenby, Narberth and Haverfordwest extinguished a large fire in a garage and outbuildings on a farm near Saundersfoot...

News5 days ago

Schools: Foreign language learning in Pembrokeshire down 52% in ten years

FOREIGN languages are being squeezed out of school timetables by “core” subjects like the Welsh Baccalaureate, a survey suggests. Pembrokeshire...

Popular This Week