Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembroke Dock: Former nurse jailed for 18 months

Published

on

A FORMER nurse from Pembroke Dock who lied to an inquest about the death of a vulnerable patient has been jailed for 18 months.

Lorraine Stevens, aged 62, told the hearing she had prepared a risk assessment on John Shelley, a mentally ill man prone to drinking harmful substances.

But she fabricated the assessment only after he drank a bottle of Fairy Liquid and died the following day.

Stevens admitted perjury.

Swansea Crown Court heard how Mr Shelley, aged 68, had been brain damaged at birth and needed constant care.

Mr Shelley’s brother Martin was told he was about to be transferred to 10 Church Close, in Begelly near Tenby, west Wales, a four bedroom bungalow for mentally ill patients.

Mr Martin Shelley, an engineer familiar with risk assessments, visited the premises and became alarmed at the lack of internal locks.

In particular, he didn’t want his brother having unsupervised access to the kitchen where he might find something harmful to drink.

Stevens, of Kitchener Close, Pembroke Dock, should have completed a risk assessment but didn’t.

Catherine Richards, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that on July 13, 2013, a kitchen window had been left open on the hottest day of the year and Mr Shelley reached in and drank from the Fairy Liquid bottle.

Stevens, the team leader and the only qualified nurse on duty, told staff to give him plenty of water to drink and, later, to give him ginger biscuits and milk.

Stevens left work early. The staff who took over became concerned and he was taken to Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest.

But his condition deteriorated and he died the following day through multiple organ failure.

Martin Shelley told the authorities he had not seen a risk assessment and Stevens suddenly produced one, assuring him that staff would have been shown it.

The report was produced at an inquest into Mr Shelley’s death held in 2014. Stevens told the coroner the four page report, which addressed Mr Shelley’s access to the kitchen, had been prepared on April 14, 2013.

Mr Shelley became suspicious because it had been signed only by Stevens herself when all staff should have signed to confirm they had read and understood it.

Police became involved and seized a computer from 10 Church Close which showed the report had been compiled on July 18, 2013, four days after the fatality.

After her arrest, Stevens maintained the report was genuine and dated accurately.

When she was told later about the computer findings she declined to answer any more questions.

Stevens’ barrister, Jon Tarrant, said she would live forever with the guilt and remorse she felt over Mr Shelley’s death, but described it as a tragedy without intention.

It was difficult to know, he added, if a proper risk assessment would have avoided the fatality.

Mr Martin Shelley was allowed to address the court and said he believed his brother might not have died if all staff had understood how important it was to keep him away from harmful liquid substances.

The bungalow, he said, housed four mentally ill patients but had not been purposely built for someone with his brother’s difficulties.

“I was assured that a risk assessment would be carried out before he moved in, particularly in relation to the lack of internal locks.

“He was let down in his hour of need.

“His death, pain, suffering and distress could have been avoided,” he added.

The court heard that Stevens had been struck off as a nurse.

Judge Keith Thomas told Stevens she had fabricated the report and then lied about it to avoid criticism.

“You did this to cover up the fact you had not made proper provision for the challenges posed by Mr Shelley.

“I am not dealing with you for causing the death but for you did cause additional distress and anxiety to his family.

“You were deceitful and your lies were persistent,” he added.

News

Haverfordwest: Man caught with large blade trying to enter public house

Published

on

DOOR STAFF working at the Lower Three Crowns in Haverfordwest successfully tackled a man carrying a large kitchen knife as he tried to enter the licensed premises.
The incident happened on Friday evening, with door staff saying that the suspect had the blade tucked in his clothing.

Jack Crimlis posted the photograph of the blade on Facebook, saying: “Well not every night on the doors in Haverfordwest that you see local door staff tackle a man with this down the back of his trousers!”

He also said that no one was hurt in the incident.

Many took to social media to praise the actions of the doormen.

A spokesperson for RyCal Security and traffic management posted on social media, saying: “Tonight in Haverfordwest, well done to the door staff for carrying out their duties and made everyone safe. 
“Door supervisors putting their lives at risk to keep public safe on nights out – Be safe ladies and gentlemen

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Milford Haven: Camp Valour director quits veterans’ project

Published

on

MAJOR Fabian Sean Lucien Faversham-Pullen retired from the armed forces after 25 years’ service.

So states a prospectus prepared by Camp Valour CIC, the organisation behind the ambitious project to convert the semi-derelict Palmerston Fort Hubberstone in Milford Haven into accommodation for former services personnel.

DATES CONFUSION EXPLAINED

As local Cllr Mike Stoddart points out on his Old Grumpy Blog: ‘A more worthy cause it is difficult to imagine.’

However, he also raises an issue in respect of the text of the brochure produced by Camp Valour.

Directly quoting from the booklet produced by Camp Valour CIC, Cllr Stoddart repeats the following words: “The Director, Fabian Faversham-Pullen, served in the armed forces for a period of 25 years, serving in various conflicts around the world.
“Upon leaving the military with the rank of Major, Fabian completed a law degree at Liverpool University.
“Along with his business partner he THEN (Mike Stoddart’s emphasis) helped to form a charity and became a trustee of D-DAY REVISITED, the charity’s aim was to assist Veterans of the Normandy campaign to return to the battlefields to take part in the annual commemorations.”
According to the Community Interest Company’s registry entry at Companies’ House, Major Faversham-Pullen was born in August 1974.

The same date of birth appears on the Charity Commission website for D-Day revisited, of which Major Faversham-Pullen is also a trustee.

The problem with those dates is that if it was AFTER leaving the military at Liverpool University and THEN founding D-Day Revisited in 2008-2009, the twenty-five years of service claimed are chronologically impossible.

The earliest date the Major could have entered the forces was after August 1990. For twenty-five years’ service to accrue, the date he ceased service would have been in 2015.

As Cllr Stoddart notes, an error in expression could be an innocent explanation for any confusion.

In order to clarify the situation, we approached Camp Valour CIC to resolve the point.

Nicola Wilcox, Chief Operations Officer for the Company told us: “Fabian’s 25-year service was earned during time served in both the regulars and reserves. If you would like to investigate further any serviceman or woman can be employed or study whilst being a member of the reserves unless they are on deployment.”

The original brochure produced by the CIC does not make clear that the Major’s 25-years’ service included a period as a reservist. The clarification now obtained by The Herald seems to tally with a possible chronology that Major Faversham-Pullen left the regular forces in or around 2005, completed a law degree and THEN founded the charity D-Day Revisited.

A SERIES OF COINCIDENCES

Jac o’the North, whose blog often examines the housing issues affecting Wales, drew attention to an unusual coincidence in the address of Camp Valour CIC and a dissolved company called Baron Security (UK) Ltd.

The sole director of Baron Security (UK) Ltd is shown as Sean Keven Patrick Pullen.

Sean Keven Patrick Pullen’s date of birth is shown as August 1974 in the information filed at Companies’ House.

The address of Baron Security (UK) Ltd is the same as that for Camp Valour CIC.

We put the coincidence to Camp Valour CIC.

Nicola Wilcox told us: “Sean Pullen and Fabian Faversham-Pullen are twin brothers evidence of this can be provided. They have both been supporters of the RBL both in the UK and overseas. Sean did indeed own a security company; however, this company failed. After retiring from the RBL in January, he lives and manages a company in Gibraltar.

Sometime ago Fabian took over some of Sean’s duties whilst Sean pursued other interests. This includes Sean’s place as treasurer of the D-DayRevisited charity. The charity is due to close this year due to the ageing population of Veterans.
“Sean has no connection to Camp Valour and Fabian had no connection to Baron Security.”

Ms Wilcox also confirmed that Major Faversham-Pullen served in the forces using his mother’s maiden name.

The clarification that Sean Keven Patrick Pullen and Fabian Sean Lucien Faversham-Pullen are twin brothers with a forename in common, both former service personnel active in the Royal British Legion, and both connected to bodies using the same registered office addresses the issue of identity raised by Jac o’ the North.

After expressing concern that the CIC had been “subjected to a witch hunt that is making us question if Camp Valour has made a wise decision in choosing to restore Fort Hubberstone”, Nicola Wilcox also told The Herald: ‘Camp Valour C.I.C will be making an official complaint to Pembrokeshire County Council regarding the behaviour of Cllr Mike Stoddart, and his abuse of position in his seat of authority.
‘We are furthermore undertaking legal advice to ascertain what can be done about the lies and mistruths initiated by Royston Jones (Jack o the North) and Cllr Stoddart.’

CAMP VALOUR THANKS THE HERALD

Local councillors had raised concerns about the accommodation available to house servicemen in need and the pressure on local services that would come with such a large influx of people into one Council ward.

Mike Stoddart pointed out at the public meeting that the fact that the Fort was designed to accommodate 250 people in the nineteenth century, does not mean it meets the standards for accommodating that number in the twenty-first.

Cllr Rhys Sinnett enquired about the impact on local health and welfare services but was told medical care would be delivered by specialists ‘in-house’ at the Fort.

Nicola Wilcox said to us that the organisation was concerned about negative attitudes towards its project and could reconsider the scheme.

However, in spite of BBC reports, a spokesperson calling herself ‘Nicola’ and asking for her surname to be omitted from publication issued a statement to another newspaper confirming Camp Valour’s commitment and complaining “[W[e have been under constant attack from a local paper where they are putting two and two together and making nine.”

We do not know which local newspaper that could possibly be.

In an email to this writer, Camp Valour’s Chief Operations Officer, Nicola Wilcox, said: “I am happy that you have at least allowed Camp Valour the opportunity to respond to these ludicrous insinuations from various parties.”

We reassured Ms Wilcox that this article relates solely to ‘questions which you have answered and raised points which you have clarified.’

Continue Reading

News

Police ask for help following death of 25-year-old woman on Dredgeman Hill

Published

on

POLICE have issued an appeal for a driver who picked up a 25-year-old woman at the junction of Glebelands and the A4076 in Johnston, Pembrokeshire, at around 8.30pm on February 20 to come forward.

The appeal is being made as part of the investigation into the fatal road traffic collision that happened at 11.10pm that same date at Dredgeman Hill, Haverfordwest.

Officers are keen to speak to the person who picked up the female at the A4076 and Glebelands junction, which is opposite the Nisa store, at around 8.30pm. As part of the investigation, they are trying to establish the movements of the 25-year-old prior to the collision. Please get in touch by calling 101 and ask for the serious collision investigation team.

Continue Reading
News12 hours ago

Haverfordwest: Man caught with large blade trying to enter public house

DOOR STAFF working at the Lower Three Crowns in Haverfordwest successfully tackled a man carrying a large kitchen knife as...

News20 hours ago

Police ask for help following death of 25-year-old woman on Dredgeman Hill

POLICE have issued an appeal for a driver who picked up a 25-year-old woman at the junction of Glebelands and...

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest: Pedestrian killed on A4076 at Dregeman Hill

AT 11.10PM on Wednesday, February 20, Dyfed-Powys Police received a report of a road traffic collision on the A4076 at...

News2 days ago

​Council will not recommend special measures for Hywel Dda

PEMBROKESHIRE County Council will not be recommending that Hywel Dda University Health Board should be placed into special measures. Cllr...

News3 days ago

Answers demanded over Council’s five week police complaint delay

THE LEADER of Pembrokeshire County Council is expected to give answers to a number of questions surrounding the letter of...

News4 days ago

Neyland woman imprisoned for driving while disqualified

A 35-YEAR-OLD woman who was caught driving while disqualified twice in four days days has been sentenced to six months...

News4 days ago

Boy took his own life after failure to refer him for psychiatric support

THE INQUEST into the death of 14 year-old Derek Brundrett, who was found hanged at Pembroke School in December 2013,...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven: Primary schools consider shutting at 12:15pm on Fridays

PARENTS with pupils in many primary schools in Milford Haven have been told that a consultation is underway to see...

News5 days ago

Health Board Chair to step down this month due to health issues

THE CHAIR of the of Hywel Dda University Health Board will step down at the end of this month due...

News5 days ago

Fishguard: Pedestrian killed in collision with bus on A40

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses to a road traffic collision which occurred on the A40 near to Rafael Roundabout,...

Popular This Week