Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Potential fraud victims saved from losing half a million pounds

Published

on

POTENTIAL scam victims living in the Dyfed-Powys Police area have been saved from losing more than half a million pounds in just one year thanks to a fraud prevention scheme.

The ground-breaking Banking Protocol enables bank staff to contact police if they suspect a customer is in the process of being scammed, with a rapid response directed to the branch.

The scheme was launched in the autumn of 2016 as a way of identifying and protecting potential fraud victims when they visit a bank or building society. Dyfed-Powys Police joined in 2017 and has since received 49 calls for service from banks and building societies across the force.

In the past year, the protocol has prevented a loss of £561,520, and has allowed officers to identify 32 previously unknown vulnerable victims.

Paul Callard, of the Dyfed-Powys Police Financial Crime Team, said: “We know that the most vulnerable in our communities are being targeted and defrauded by heartless criminals, using a variety of methods.

“A common method for fraud offences to be carried out is by encouraging victims to go to their bank, building society or Post Office to withdraw cash or transfer money out of their account.

“Through the Banking Protocol, bank and building society staff can contact us directly if they have any concerns about someone withdrawing large amounts of money, or attempting an unusual transaction.

“We are able to identify and protect potential fraud victims, and by working in partnership with the finance industry and Trading Standards we can really make a difference and protect the most vulnerable.

“Thanks to the Banking Protocol we have succeeded in preventing over £500,000 being lost to fraudsters since autumn 2017 in Dyfed-Powys alone, and prevented the victimisation of some of the most susceptible.

“This is a testament to the impact that can be directly attributed to the Banking Protocol, and we are excited to see further positive success stories as we move forward.”

Continue Reading

News

Protest over animal welfare concerns at Bramble Hill Farm

Published

on

LOCALS held a peaceful protest at the site of a Pembroke Dock farm, where over 200 animals were removed after a multi agency response to animal welfare concerns last month.

Around 100 worried locals from Pembroke and Pembroke Dock gathered at the entrance to Bramble Hill Farm last Friday (Feb 15) at 4pm. Those present believed the farm owners are still in possession of dogs, which they cited as the reason for the protest. Head of Environment and Public Protection at Pembrokeshire County Council, Richard Brown later confirmed that there were two dogs left on the farm, but explained they were elderly and looked after. Locals hoped the protest would mean the removal of any animals still left at the property and a ban imposed to prevent any further animals being kept at the property or by the owners.

Officers from Dyfed-Powys Police were present, with the Herald reporter in attendance being told that the police were ensuring it remained peaceful and to keep traffic congestion to a minimum. There was evident hostility towards to the local authorities and RSPCA amongst the protesters, with many feeling that their concerns about the farm were not dealt with soon enough by the relevant organisations.

Speaking to the crowd, Richard Brown said: “So the idea of what we do is, we are proceeding with our enquiries and get the case together. If we get a successful conviction, it’s an opportunity to get a ban on keeping animals. Without that conviction we can’t get a ban.”

He was challenged numerous times on whether Sean Burns, owner of the farm, has been prosecuted for animal cruelty. Mr Brown then confirmed that ‘he has been prosecuted previously’.

He added: “We have to be careful not to prejudice any case. All of our interests is animal welfare. We can’t just go in and remove animals because people want us to. We don’t have those powers.

“There is a range of offences being investigated and a range of individuals being investigated.”

Continue Reading

News

Neyland woman imprisoned for driving while disqualified

Published

on

A 35-YEAR-OLD woman who was caught driving while disqualified twice in four days days has been sentenced to six months in prison.

Victoria Anne James, of College Park, Neyland, was stopped by Dyfed-Powys Police roads policing officers in Johnston on Friday, February 15. She was reported for the offences and her Alfa Romeo car was seized.

James was stopped a second time by police on Monday, February 18, for driving while disqualified while driving another car.

She was arrested and charged with two counts of driving while disqualified and two counts of driving without insurance.

She was convicted at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Courts that same day and received a six month prison sentence, and received a further 24 months Driving Disqualification.

Sergeant Justin Williams said: “Police intelligence led officers to stop Victoria Anne James on February 15 where she was reported for offences and her car was seized. For her to commit the same offence two days later shows her disregard for the law.

“I hope this targeted, swift work from roads policing officers and the courts, which has resulted in a prison sentence serves as a stark warning to James and others considering flouting the laws on our roads. We are monitoring our roads and we will take robust action to ensure we keep other drivers on our roads safe by upholding the law.”

Continue Reading

News

Boy took his own life after failure to refer him for psychiatric support

Published

on

THE INQUEST into the death of 14 year-old Derek Brundrett, who was found hanged at Pembroke School in December 2013, has found that there were individual failings in efforts to get psychiatric support for the teenage boy – who then went on to take his own life.

Derek had seven different social workers and record keeping by social services was in a “shocking state of affairs” leading up to his death.

Returning a narrative verdict, the Assistant Coroner, Paul Bennett, said: “That Derek Brundrett took his own life and intended to do so in circumstances where, despite efforts to refer him for psychiatric support there was a failure to do so.”

Although no systemic failures were found, the Assistant Coroner ruled that there was a failure to refer by a social worker, a failure by a GP to provide extra information when referrals in 2012 and 2013 were declined, and a further failure to provide the relevant information on the appropriate referral form of a Looked After Child.

Derek’s death was in the context that he had been returned to foster care and was concerned about a return to the Pupil Referral Unit.

Derek’s actions were not considered to be a cry for help but rather a deliberate attempt at self-harm, the Coroner’s report stated.

The inquest had previously heard there were numerous failed attempts to refer him to mental health services.

A social services referral plan was not completed by Derek’s social worker because “she believed him to be happy”.

The inquest also heard Derek’s GP had made “routine” referrals for mental health treatment in 2012 and 2013.

Angela Lodwick, head of the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) for the Hywel Dda University Health Board, said they had to “prioritise children with severe mental health disorders”.

She added requests for more information about Derek’s condition went unanswered.

But she told the inquest that, at the time, CAMHS was not proactive in seeking more information.

Ms Lodwick said CAMHS would have probably “taken him on referral and made an assessment” if they had known about Derek’s risk-taking behaviour and talk of suicide in 2013, such as when he climbed onto the school roof.

She told the inquest the system had been inadequate and “the position was that everyone sat on their hands waiting” but CAMHS has since made improvements.

A spokesman for the Pembrokeshire County Council said: “The death of a child is a profound loss and all the professionals involved in this tragedy feel great sympathy for Derek and his family and friends. We would like to repeat our sincere condolences to them at this time.

“Derek’s loss is deeply felt by those individuals who had formed close and caring relationships with him.

“We would like to thank the Coroner for his thorough investigation and consideration of the case.

“We will, of course, reflect upon all of the issues that have been raised during the Inquest, and consider what lessons can be learned with a view to continuing to ensure the safeguarding and well-being of all children and young persons served by Pembrokeshire County Council.”

Continue Reading
News6 hours ago

Neyland woman imprisoned for driving while disqualified

A 35-YEAR-OLD woman who was caught driving while disqualified twice in four days days has been sentenced to six months...

News7 hours ago

Boy took his own life after failure to refer him for psychiatric support

THE INQUEST into the death of 14 year-old Derek Brundrett, who was found hanged at Pembroke School in December 2013,...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Primary schools consider shutting at 12:15pm on Fridays

PARENTS with pupils in many primary schools in Milford Haven have been told that a consultation is underway to see...

News1 day ago

Health Board Chair to step down this month due to health issues

THE CHAIR of the of Hywel Dda University Health Board will step down at the end of this month due...

News2 days ago

Fishguard: Pedestrian killed in collision with bus on A40

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses to a road traffic collision which occurred on the A40 near to Rafael Roundabout,...

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest: Milford Road bridge replacement on track for scheduled completion

THE ENGINEERING works for the essential replacement of Milford Road railway bridge is well underway this weekend. Between Friday 15...

News3 days ago

Haverfordwest: Children’s Climate Change Strike invades County Hall

PEMBROKESHIRE children quit the classroom and demonstrated outside County Hall on Friday, participating in the children’s climate strike. Local activist...

News3 days ago

Coronary Care Unit and Surgery Ward improvements underway at Withybush Hospital

A SERIES of improvements to the hospital environment have commenced at Withybush Hospital, the Health Board has announced. Building works...

News4 days ago

[VIDEO] Man who stayed at leisure centre overnight escorted out by police

A MAN who stayed overnight at Pembroke Leisure Centre and filmed his actions, before posting them on Facebook, was led...

News4 days ago

Strike action at Port cancelled

THE PORT OF MILOFRD HAVEN and Unite the Union have jointly announced that their discussions have concluded, and all industrial...

Popular This Week