Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Harbour authorities dealing with petroleum product spill

Published

on

A MULTI-AGENCY response is underway at the Port of Milford Haven following an oil pollution incident in which an as yet unknown quantity of petroleum product leaked from a jetty off Valero Pembroke Refinery overnight on Wednesday – Thursday (Jan 2 – 3).

Valero have confirmed that the leak, which was reported to the Port just after midnight, has been contained.

Mike Ryan, Harbourmaster at the Port of Milford Haven, said: “Observers from the Port of Milford Haven’s oil response team identified some signs of the spill, in the form of a light sheen, on waters close to Valero, and the Port vessel ’Sea Sweep’, which has been patrolling throughout the night, has collected an amount of oil. Booms are being deployed as a precaution and Pembrokeshire County Council and MCA survey teams are monitoring shores on the north and south of the Waterway for any signs of oil making landfall, although none has yet been found.

All shipping was halted while an initial evaluation of the situation was being made, however vessels are now moving as normal.”

Andrea Winterton, Operations Manager from Natural Resources Wales said: “Our officers have been working with Milford Haven Port Authority, and other organisations, taking action to reduce the impact of an oil spill in the waterway.

Beach surveys are being undertaken, and as a precautionary measure, booms will be deployed to protect the salt marshes around Sandy Haven, and also possibly at the Gann Estuary.

Investigations into the spill are ongoing, and we are talking with Valero who are supporting our enquiries.”

Members of the public are asked to be aware, avoid any beached oil if they discover it (particularly if they have dogs) and contact the Natural Resources Wales incident hotline on 03000 653000 if they become aware of any pollution on shore.

A Valero Spokesperson said: “An operation is underway to respond to a loss of petroleum product into the Milford Haven Waterway. Valero has activated its contingency response plans and reported the incident to local authorities.

Valero is working in coordination with response agencies to contain the effects from the release of oil. As ever the safety and well-being of our employees, contractors and communities is Valero’s highest priority.

Further information about the incident will be released as soon as it becomes available.”

Pollution control boom being towed into place (Pic: Haydn Evans)

News

Crime Commissioner continues to secure funding for organisations that support victims of domestic and sexual violence

Published

on

THE POLICE and Crime Commissioner for Dyfed-Powys Police is again making the offer for organisations that support victims of domestic and sexual abuse to bid for additional funds.

Funding was made available last year, in light of the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on organisations supporting victims of domestic and sexual violence.

It was part of a £76 million package of support made available by the UK Government.

Police and Crime Commissioner Dafydd Llywelyn said: “Thanks to this additional funding, we can ensure that victims and survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence in Dyfed-Powys can access specialist services for support, at a time when they are needed the most.

“Unfortunately, we have seen a rise in domestic violence during the pandemic and victims need help now more than ever and I am grateful for the work of all the service providers across the Force area that help these men, women and families who are most in need.

“I want to reassure anyone who is in an abusive situation or relationship that you do not need to suffer in silence, and I urge anyone to report abuse to the Police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.

“This funding is open both to providers whom I currently commission and those that I do not currently fund. However, unlike the extraordinary Covid-19 funding provided in 2020/21, organisations do not need to be a registered charity, a charitable incorporated organisation, or a social enterprise to be eligible for this funding. They must, however, provide support services which have the purpose of helping victims of sexual violence or domestic abuse cope with the impacts of crime and, as far as possible, recover from the harm they have experienced. We would also encourage applications from small specialist organisations that support groups with protected characteristics.

“If you wish to submit a request for this funding, further guidance is available on my website, and can be requested via the office e-mail address.”

Closing date for submissions is close of play on Friday, March 12, 2021.

Continue Reading

News

Covid alert level lowered for whole of UK

Published

on

THE COVID alert level for all four nations of the United Kingdom has been lowered to alert level 4.

The decision comes following advice from the Joint Biosecurity Centre and in light of the most recent data.

In recent weeks, the R-rate and the number of covid cases has been on the decline.

Chief Medical Officer for Wales, Dr Frank Atherton said: “Following advice from the Joint Biosecurity Centre and in the light of the most recent data, the four UK Chief Medical Officers and NHS England National Medical Director agree that the UK alert level should move from level 5 to level 4 in all four nations.

“The health services across the four nations remain under significant pressure with a high number of patients in hospital, however thanks to the efforts of public we are now seeing numbers consistently declining, and the threat of the NHS and other health services being overwhelmed within 21 days has receded.

“We should be under no illusions – transmission rates, hospital pressures and deaths are still very high. In time, the vaccines will have a major impact and we encourage everyone to get vaccinated when they receive the offer. However for the time being it is really important that we all – vaccinated or not – remain vigilant and continue to follow the guidelines.

“We know how difficult the situation has been and remains to be for healthcare workers, we thank them for their immense effort, skill and professionalism throughout the pandemic.”

Under the Welsh Government’s Alert level 4 restrictions, schools and colleges, places of worship, community centres, playgrounds and public parks are among those that can be opened.

Theatres, entertainment venues, leisure facilities and outdoor visitors attractions are among the places that must remain close while the country is in Alert Level 4.

Continue Reading

News

Postmaster and politicians welcome Goodwick cash machine U-turn

Published

on

GOODWICK post office will now be keeping its ATM, after a U-turn by Post Office Ltd.

The machine was due to be removed within months with the post master, Jon Moverley saying that it would be a disaster for the village.

If the ATM had been removed, there would have been just two 24-hour ATMs serving the whole of Fishguard and Goodwick in the short term and three when the Co-op renovations are completed.

Both politicians and local residents then got behind the campaign to keep the ATM

Pembrokeshire politicians Paul Davies and Stephen Crabb have welcomed the news that Goodwick post office is now set to keep its ATM facility. Following representations made by both politicians to the Post Office, it’s now been confirmed that Goodwick Post Office will be included in the rollout of ATM machines across the post office network.

Mr Davies said “This is really welcome news. I’m pleased that the Post Office has listened to the representations made by the local community and decided to retain the ATM at Goodwick post office. The facility is so important for local people and businesses and it’s great that that’s been recognised and the Post Office has committed to keeping it.”

Following the Post Office’s decision to invest in Goodwick’s ATM rather than remove it, Stephen Crabb MP, who campaigned for the ATM to stay, commented: “It’s great news that the Post Office has overturned its own decision and will be keeping an ATM machine in Goodwick.

“Access to cash continues to be incredibly important for a number of people and businesses and I’m pleased to have played my part in working with John from the Post Office in Goodwick, Paul Davies MS and the wider community to highlight the ATMs importance to the area. It shows what can be achieved when we work together.”

The postmaster described the news as ‘brilliant’. Mr Moverley thanked supporters.

He said “Many thanks to all of you who have used the machine and complained to POL about the removal. We were also supported by our MP, MS and mayor, the National Federation of Sub-postmasters and our Chamber of Trade.

“Everyone did their bit, and it says an enormous amount about the strength of the community.

“We are delighted that locals and so many other people have come together to save this essential facility in the village.”

Continue Reading
News18 hours ago

Postmaster and politicians welcome Goodwick cash machine U-turn

GOODWICK post office will now be keeping its ATM, after a U-turn by Post Office Ltd. The machine was due...

News19 hours ago

Judith Rhead murder: Police appeal to public for information

DYFED-POWYS POLICE can confirm it is appealing for information after the death of a 68-year-old woman from Pembroke Dock. Judith...

News1 day ago

Dale Morgan charged with murder of Judith Rhead, police confirm

DYFED POWYS POLICE have charged a man in connection with the alleged murder of 68 year old Judith Rhead who...

News3 days ago

Police investigate alleged rape of a child

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that a 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of raping a child in the south...

News3 days ago

Police confirm murder investigation underway following Judith Rhead’s death

THE POLICE have confirmed that the death of a woman, who died in Pembroke Dock on Saturday, is being treated...

News4 days ago

Deaths could be linked to salmonella in SFC chicken’s boneless buckets

THE FOOD STANDARDS AGENCY has issued an urgent warning about a chicken product sold in food stores across Wales. The...

News5 days ago

Pembroke Dock death being treated as suspicious, police confirm

POLICE  in Pembroke Dock are continuing to investigate the death of a woman in Market Street. A spokesman from Dyfed-Powys...

News6 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Police forensics team investigating death of woman in Market Street

THERE is a police presence in Pembroke Dock this evening as police, and forensics officers investigate the sudden death of...

News6 days ago

Stricken LPG tanker off Pembrokeshire coast rescued by super-tug ‘Bever’

AN LPG tanker which lost her engines and was adrift off the coast of Pembrokeshire is now under tow thanks...

News7 days ago

LPG tanker awaiting emergency rescue tug off the coast of Pembrokeshire

A LIBERIAN registered LPG tanker is awaiting rescue off the Pembrokeshire coast after developing engine trouble, The Herald can confirm....

Popular This Week