Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Narberth man sent a semi-naked photograph of his ex to her own son

Published

on

UNABLE to accept his relationship was over, a Narberth man sent a semi-naked photograph of his ex to her own son and then posted similar pictures on Facebook suggesting she was seeking male company.
Stephen Patrick Stokes bombard the victim at her home in Yeovil, Somerset, with a string of emails and text messages before sending the distressing photograph.
The victim decided not to go ahead with a prosecution to protect her privacy. However when he resumed contact again it was the “final straw” so she called the police and he was arrested.
Stokes, 59, of Redstone Road, appeared in the dock before Somerset Magistrates at Yeovil.
He pleaded guilty that between May 1 and June 25 last year he pursued a course of conduct which amounted to the harassment of the female complainant in that he contacted her by text messages, emails and letters and via third parties.
Prosecutor Ben Winzer said that the couple had been in a relationship for five years when she ended it in March 2018 so Stokes moved to Pembrokeshire but did not take the separation well.
“The victim was texted, phoned, messaged and sent letters from the defendant who attempted to reignite the relationship,” he said.
“She also disclosed that Stokes had sent a semi-naked picture of the complainant to her adult son and posted like images on his Facebook profile suggesting she was seeking male company.
“She declined to prosecute because of her privacy, however on May 17 the defendant was contacted by police and told about the disclosure of the photo and he accepted his behaviour had been unacceptable and was warned that any further problems would lead to a complaint of harassment.
“On June 24 he contacted her again by text requesting resuming their relationship and this was the final straw and caused her to support a prosecution and he was arrested.”
When Stokes was interviewed he admitted harassing his ex to try and win her back and accepted sending the letters and disclosing the photos on Facebook.
“This was a significant aggravating feature in this case and was intended to maximise the distress caused to the complainant and also involved one of her children,” added Mr Winzer.
Defending solicitor Ray Peters said that Stokes was his partner’s full time carer before the relationship ended and it came as a shock to him when it happened and he became extremely depressed as a result.
“He went to live in Pembrokeshire and when the police contacted him he admitted he had been attempting to reignite their relationship, although there was no suggestion of any threats,” he said.
“When he went to Wales he was diagnosed with depression by his GP and was having difficulties eating so was prescribed sleeping tablets and anti depressants.
“He says he is now moving on from the relationship break-up and has stayed on medication and has been able to find casual work at a pub.
“He accepts the relationship is now over and has no wish to contact the complainant.”
The magistrates sentenced Stokes to an 18 month community order with 200 hours unpaid work and a 25 day Rehabilitation Activity Requirement. Costs of £85 and an £85 surcharge were also imposed
The magistrates also imposed a 12 month restraining order on the defendant ordering that he must not contact the complainant or her children and must not go to her address in Yeovil.

News

10% Council tax rise supported

Published

on

IN A RECORDED vote, Pembrokeshire County Council has approved its draft budget for 2019/20, which will see a 10% rise in council tax.

The budget was approved at Thursday’s (Feb 21) Full Council meeting but was met with some opposition by some members who said other options were available.
Cabinet member for Finance, Cllr Bob Kilmister described his role as a ‘poisoned chalice’ but went on to say: “We are still cheaper in Pembrokeshire than any other local authority in Wales. I have heard that increasing the council tax may have a burden on many who fit into the category of working poor.
“However, if we cut more services it will affect these people the most.”

He went on to highlight a number of outcomes should council tax not be increased by 10% and added: “An additional £1.89 a week avoids these outcomes.”

There is also an extra £1m to cover Brexit but Cllr Kilmister said he had ‘no idea’ if that would be enough.

Cllr Brian Hall asked how many redundancies would be made if certain services were changed but Cllr Kilmister said they were looking at what they have got in the council and looking to train for those people who are leaving vital jobs.

Cllr Hall said that the majority of staff were really concerned, and Cllr Kilmister said they could not start that process until a decision was made on the budget.

Cllr Jamie Adams said they needed to come up with a budget that was more ‘wider-thinking’ and said it was about ‘delivering value for money for Council Tax payers.
He said he was unable to support the budget that demands 10% and challenged other members saying: “Don’t be afraid of doing that, there are different ways to square the circle.”

Cllr Josh Beynon said that while a 10% rise was not the most popular it was the right thing to do.

Cllr Phil Kidney said he was finding it tough to get his head round the customer service centre closing and said they would ‘disenfranchise’ a lot of people by doing so.
However, Cllr Kilmister later said that the service would still be provided but in a different way.
He also said that the current administration was doing more of getting rid of buildings that the previous administration ever did. He added: “This is not something I am doing out of choice, I am doing it out of necessity.”

Cllr Pat Davies said she was ‘dismayed’ to find the previous administration had no strategic plan and said that she had done a lot of catching up over the last 18 months.
Speaking on the transformation program, Cllr Michelle Bateman said progress was being made and that she didn’t want to be part of a council that cuts services and keeps council tax low.

Cllr John Davies explained that the council does have other options and Cllr Kilmister challenged him saying he was welcome to make a new proposal but told Cllr Davies he would have to tell him where the money would be coming from.

Cllr Kilmister went on to say they could only do the budget on the information they have.
Council Leader Cllr David Simpson praised Cllr Kilmister for what he had done over the past 12 months saying he had done an ‘exceptional job’.
He went on to say that he was ‘proud’ of his whole cabinet who had the ability to answer any questions that came their way.

Cllr Simpson then said: “The staff we have in this building are superb, do we want to slash their jobs? No we don’t. We are looking at departments and making cuts where we can.”
When it was put to the vote, 37 members voted in favour of the budget, with 21 voting against.

Continue Reading

News

Councillor denies ‘bullying’ claim

Published

on

A COUNCILLOR has denied that he ‘bullied’ a senior officer of the council when he said that the Chief Executive and Dyfed Powys Police enjoyed a ‘cosy relationship’.
That was the claim made by Cllr Jacob Williams at a recent meeting of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee in relation to the delay in sending a letter of complaint to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
The complaint related to the Pembroke Dock Commercial Property Grants scheme, which is still being investigated by Dyfed Powys Police.
At a meeting of Full Council on Thursday (Feb 21), Cllr Ken Rowlands submitted a question asking if the leader agreed with his statement.
The leader, Cllr David Simpson simply replied: “No, I do not.”
In response, Cllr Rowlands said: “Would you agree that the member concerned slandered our chief executive and the police?”
He went on to say that he was far from happy for an officer to be insulted and bullied in such a way.
Cllr Rowlands felt it was a breach of the code of conduct and added that Cllr Williams should make a public apology.
Cllr Simpson responded: “I have had three communications after the Jacob Williams and Chief Executive incident. All three left a meeting with me understanding that it is not the leaders’ role to interfere with members.
“If the actions are unreasonable the chair is there to make sure members act in a good way. There are sixty members and I can’t alter their opinions. As for a breach of the code of conduct, that is a matter for you and if you think he has you have an obligation to go to the monitoring officer.”
Cllr Jacob Williams stated that he ‘categorically denied’ the claims made by Cllr Rowlands and said he understood that he did make a complaint to the monitoring officer but that it wasn’t considered appropriate to refer to the ombudsman.
At the same meeting, questions were also asked by Cllr Mike Stoddart in relation to the council’s handling of the letter of complaint.
He asked which officers were involved in drafting a letter and was told that the Head of Legal services made a decision to provide a draft which was authorised by the committee services manager.
Cllr Stoddart also asked why there was a lack of clarity as to who the letter should be sent too.
Cllr Simpson responded saying the resolution was unambiguous and that the IOPC website directed complaints to Dyfed Powys Police which was contradictory to the resolution of council.
Finally, Cllr Stoddart asked when the letter of rejection was received by then chair Cllr Paul Harries, how long after putting it in his briefcase did he rediscover it.
Cllr Simpson replied on behalf of Cllr Harries stating it was found on October 10, 2018.
Cllr Stoddart replied simply to say that it had been ‘lingering in the bottom of his briefcase for five months’.

Continue Reading

News

Haverfordwest: Pedestrian killed on A4076 at Dregeman Hill

Published

on

AT 11.10PM on Wednesday, February 20, Dyfed-Powys Police received a report of a road traffic collision on the A4076 at Dredgeman Hill, Haverfordwest.

The collision involved a car and a pedestrian. Tragically, the pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene.

The police told The Herald: “We are appealing for any witnesses that may have been travelling along that section of road at that time. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit quoting message 431 of February 20.”

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading
News10 hours ago

Haverfordwest: Pedestrian killed on A4076 at Dregeman Hill

AT 11.10PM on Wednesday, February 20, Dyfed-Powys Police received a report of a road traffic collision on the A4076 at...

News13 hours ago

​Council will not recommend special measures for Hywel Dda

PEMBROKESHIRE County Council will not be recommending that Hywel Dda University Health Board should be placed into special measures. Cllr...

News1 day ago

Answers demanded over Council’s five week police complaint delay

THE LEADER of Pembrokeshire County Council is expected to give answers to a number of questions surrounding the letter of...

News2 days ago

Neyland woman imprisoned for driving while disqualified

A 35-YEAR-OLD woman who was caught driving while disqualified twice in four days days has been sentenced to six months...

News2 days ago

Boy took his own life after failure to refer him for psychiatric support

THE INQUEST into the death of 14 year-old Derek Brundrett, who was found hanged at Pembroke School in December 2013,...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Primary schools consider shutting at 12:15pm on Fridays

PARENTS with pupils in many primary schools in Milford Haven have been told that a consultation is underway to see...

News4 days ago

Health Board Chair to step down this month due to health issues

THE CHAIR of the of Hywel Dda University Health Board will step down at the end of this month due...

News4 days ago

Fishguard: Pedestrian killed in collision with bus on A40

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses to a road traffic collision which occurred on the A40 near to Rafael Roundabout,...

News4 days ago

Haverfordwest: Milford Road bridge replacement on track for scheduled completion

THE ENGINEERING works for the essential replacement of Milford Road railway bridge is well underway this weekend. Between Friday 15...

News5 days ago

Haverfordwest: Children’s Climate Change Strike invades County Hall

PEMBROKESHIRE children quit the classroom and demonstrated outside County Hall on Friday, participating in the children’s climate strike. Local activist...

Popular This Week