Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Business

Carwyn Jones joins Business News Wales

Published

on

THE INDEPENDENT business to business news platform, Business News Wales, has appointed former First Minister of Wales Carwyn Jones in a strategic move to boost its senior advisory team.
Launched in 2015, Business News Wales has become a trusted source of business to business online news across all sectors and regions of Wales, providing an independent forum for owners, organisations and business support functions to share content and learn about business activities across Wales. Managing director, Mark Powney, who has more than two decades experience with using editorial and promoted content marketing to help businesses reach their audiences, explained why he was excited to welcome Mr Jones to the business.

He said: “Carwyn has achieved a great deal as an Assembly Member, Cabinet Member and First Minister of Wales.
“His focus is to help us engage more effectively with the business community and to strengthen our ability to act as Wales’ leading independent source of business news, information and insight.”

The business is about to embark on a major regional and industry scale up and Carwyn will naturally be a great addition to the team.”
Business News Wales combines non-political editorial news content and insight with a range of opportunities for businesses to raise their profile through promoted content, video and podcasts, and advertising. The portal also publishes a daily newsletter to more than 20,000 subscribers.

Carwyn Jones spoke of his new role, saying: “What attracted me to Business News Wales was the ambitious growth plan that exists within the company. I think there are some great opportunities and a gap in the market for the dissemination of business news across Wales. There are lots of businesses that want to know what is happening in their area, within their own industry and across the country as a whole. Business News Wales is a great channel to meet those needs.

“My role is to help further embed Business News Wales as the go-to company for business information and news across Wales. One of the problems we have had historically is that people get their information from sources outside of Wales. The more connected we are the more connected business are the more efficient will be the functioning of the economy.
If you’re an investor in Wales, it is essential that you have solid information about what Wales can offer and indeed already offers, and Business News Wales is sharing those business insights at a sectorial and regional level.”

Continue Reading

Business

The Herald.Wales website launches this Friday, February 26

Published

on

A PEMBROKESHIRE based media company is launching a news website which will cover all of Wales this week, as it takes the leap from being a regional to a national news provider.

As part of the latest change to Wales’ evolving media landscape, ten jobs have been created and a further 20 secured, as Herald News UK Ltd launches its Herald.Wales service on Friday (Feb 26).

The company says it is investing a considerable sum over the next two years to provide news in both English and Welsh. As well as breaking news, coverage will include politics, entertainment, sport, and opinions from a number of contributors – including Welsh Media Awards (Best Columnist) Winner 2019, Matthew Paul.

Political Editor Jon Coles, said: “Launching a national news platform is something we’ve been thinking of for two years.

“The pandemic and lockdowns made us put the project on pause. Despite Covid-19, our print title, The Pembrokeshire Herald, has bucked the trend of shrinking circulation and that’s encouraged us to take this next step.”

Jon Coles continued: “We provisionally chalked in St David’s Day to launch; however, the late entrance of the US-owned and London-based Newsquest to the market with ‘The National’ came as a surprise.

“We had already set up and were trialling our website and tweaking it in the autumn.

“We were a founding patron of New Media Wales with whom we were looking forward to working with to provide independent news online.

“When New Media Wales partnered with Newsquest, I was surprised and disappointed. Our plans had to change and so we brought our launch date forward.”

When it comes to Herald.Wales’ stance on the big issues which affect Wales, Jon Coles said: “We will report every political view. Herald.Wales starts from the position that Wales should have the choice over whether to be an independent country.

“That doesn’t mean we’re an uncritical voice in support of independence. We’re realistic about the challenges it presents us as a nation. We will report each side of the debate so our readers can form their own opinions on Wales’ future. However, our sentiment will favour an independent Wales.”

South & West Wales Editor Tom Sinclair said: “We’ve built a network of contributors across Wales to provide news for every area.

“We will report on local news, news from Wales’ regions, and Welsh national news in Welsh and English. Video content will be important to us.

“Our introductory video has already gained plenty of views and our new Facebook page is getting more followers daily.

“We are confident there is space in the market for a genuinely independent online news source for Wales, to complement what is being offered by the bigger players such as the WalesOnline and BBC Wales websites.”

Advertising Sales Manager Brian Hancock, who has worked in news media advertising for twenty years, said that he thought that Herald.Wales would undoubtedly be a success.

He said: “Despite the slow down in revenues to all commercial news organisations due to the pandemic, we have secured commitments which will ensure the future of the new site.”

He added: “I would like to thank the nearly 5,000 Welsh businesses who have supported The Herald since we launched the eight years ago, and who are continuing to support our independent news with our weekly print publication, The Pembrokeshire Herald – and now Herald.Wales.”

Continue Reading

Business

Prendergast Butchers crowned Welsh Butcher’s Shop of the Year

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST butchers shop, has been named the 2020 Welsh Butcher’s Shop of the Year.

Prendergast Butchers established in 1950 by the Wolsey family, was awarded the title during the online Butcher’s Shop of the Year Awards 2020, held last week (Feb 15).

Described as a “really successful example of a traditional butchers’ shop”, it stood out to the judges for the owners’ passion for local produce and the recognition of how important this is to the success of the business. Prendergast was also praised for its clear pride in getting involved in initiatives that support the industry and local community.

Chris and Rachel Wolsey and their sons, Tom and Mark, have farmed in Pembrokeshire for almost 50 years producing high quality beef and lamb. Committed to providing locally and ethically sourced produce to the community, they ensure that all their products come directly from their own farm or from a few very carefully selected local suppliers who meet their quality ethos.

Chris Wolsey said, “This has been and continues to be a massive team effort from our family, our incredible staff. But we could not succeed without the incredible support of our customers and we are deeply grateful for their loyalty. As a family, we are proud to be flying the flag of the Great British butcher, we are passionate in providing the very best local produce for our customers and operating at the heart of our community.

“Our region like many others has faced economic challenges, the crisis of the high street and now Covid-19. But, we have shown that the traditional butcher’s shop can be a major force in helping local communities to get through these crises, and emerging stronger for all that.”

Kirstie Jones, Market Development Officer at Hybu Cig Cymru – Meat Promotion Wales (HCC) said: “We are delighted that a member of the HCC Butchers’ Club has won this award. They fought a tough battle to reach the top spot against The Gourmet Butcher in Llantrisant and Wavells Butcher, Llanrug who also deserve to be commended and congratulated for reaching the shortlist.

“Butchers have been vital in supporting our local communities since the start of the pandemic. They have kept their businesses running as well as providing additional services such as door-to-door deliveries, and have been rewarded with a surge in sales. HCC is delighted that a family-run butcher’s shop has been applauded for its dedication to serving the community with top quality Welsh produce.”

HCC was one of the main sponsors of the Butcher’s Shop of the Year Awards 2020.

Continue Reading

Business

Ferry services to be temporarily suspended from Fishguard

Published

on

FERRY services will cease for a period of up to 10 days in the coming weeks.

The MV Stena Europe, which usually runs between Fishguard Harbour and Rosslare Europort is being relocated to the Holyhead – Dublin route to cover for another ship undergoing repair. The company says that the decision not to provide alternative cover between Pembrokeshire and Ireland is due to a lack of ferry capacity as additional services are being laid on to meet the demand of transporting goods directly between the Irish Republic and continental Europe.

Irish hauliers are bypassing Welsh ports to avoid Brexit bureaucracy.

So-called “teething problems” with new export rules are causing “enormous strain on staff”, according to one haulage company.

But others warn of a longer-term shift by truck firms from using Holyhead, Fishguard and Pembroke Dock.

Stena Line has said it remains committed to its ports and ferry routes serving Wales despite a drop in traffic due to Brexit and Covid-19.
Since 1 January, drivers have had to provide specific paperwork to take goods between the EU and the UK.
The number of lorries using ferries between Holyhead and Dublin, and Fishguard and Rosslare, has dropped by 50% since the start of 2021.
Stena Line said it was a “blip” and it would work hard to protect the routes.

Secretary of State for Wales Simon Hart MP, said: “There is some evidence that things aren’t looking necessarily, permanently bleak.
“It’s one of those areas where we have to keep a very wary eye on it, but I think and hope that it is a temporary dip in the graph.”

Eluned Morgan says that the temporary suspension was concerning.

Eluned Morgan MS said: “Usually, Stena Line provides cover for the service between Fishguard and Rosslare when the normal ferry is not in service. This latest decision on the back of cancelled sailings last month is very concerning. We’ve seen as a result of the pandemic and the massive impact of Brexit slashing trade between Wales and Ireland that our ferry services have been left in a vulnerable position.”

“However, it isn’t helpful for MPs to suggest we should cut our losses and only have one ferry port in Pembrokeshire.

“Where is the ambition in that?

“Where is the opportunity we were promised Brexit would herald?

“Now is the time both Simon Hart and Stephen Crabb stepped up and fought Pembrokeshire’s corner.

“The alarm bells have been ringing for some time I’m afraid.

“They must make sure that the UK Government is fully aware of the uncertainty hanging over our ports which have been and I believe must continue to be important gateways to Europe and a vital part of our economic infrastructure.”

Continue Reading
News11 hours ago

Judith Rhead murder investigation – Detectives given more time to question suspect

POLICE have been given more time to question a 43-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder. The man has been...

News2 days ago

Police investigate alleged rape of a child

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that a 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of raping a child in the south...

News2 days ago

Police confirm murder investigation underway following Judith Rhead’s death

THE POLICE have confirmed that the death of a woman, who died in Pembroke Dock on Saturday, is being treated...

News3 days ago

Deaths could be linked to salmonella in SFC chicken’s boneless buckets

THE FOOD STANDARDS AGENCY has issued an urgent warning about a chicken product sold in food stores across Wales. The...

News4 days ago

Pembroke Dock death being treated as suspicious, police confirm

POLICE  in Pembroke Dock are continuing to investigate the death of a woman in Market Street. A spokesman from Dyfed-Powys...

News4 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Police forensics team investigating death of woman in Market Street

THERE is a police presence in Pembroke Dock this evening as police, and forensics officers investigate the sudden death of...

News5 days ago

Stricken LPG tanker off Pembrokeshire coast rescued by super-tug ‘Bever’

AN LPG tanker which lost her engines and was adrift off the coast of Pembrokeshire is now under tow thanks...

News5 days ago

LPG tanker awaiting emergency rescue tug off the coast of Pembrokeshire

A LIBERIAN registered LPG tanker is awaiting rescue off the Pembrokeshire coast after developing engine trouble, The Herald can confirm....

News6 days ago

At least three more weeks of lockdown, First Minister confirms

FIRST MINISTER Mark Drakeford said he hopes the country has entered the last three weeks of the “stay-at-home” requirement. Mr...

News6 days ago

Urgent appeal over missing Milford Haven man

POLICE in Milford Haven are appealing for information to help find missing man Richard Golding. The 36-year-old was last seen...

Popular This Week