Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Ryelands Caravan Park extension gets go-ahead from council

Published

on

AN EXTENSION to Ryelands Caravan Park has been approved by Pembrokeshire County Council.
The Council’s Planning Committee met on Tuesday, May 21, to discuss the application which was approved by a clear majority.

There had been concerns about the road leading to the site and the number of pitches on site and a site visit was also asked for.
Members did not feel the need to go for a site visit and were reassured by the Council’s Interim Head of Planning that there would be no increase in number of caravans beyond what is allowed.

The applicant’s agent, Mr Andrew Vaughan-Harries, said: “The owner has had this site for the last few years. This is a touring site and times are changing, tourers are getting bigger and bigger and since taking on the site Mr Ormond has seen a demand that actually, people do not want to take their tourers with them any more.
“They love Pembrokeshire and they lease or buy a pitch from sites like this and they don’t want the hassle and difficulty of taking their tourers up, they’re getting much bigger these days you need a very big car or 4×4 to take them down the M4 so we are having a demand to stay on site and there is a certificate of lawfulness that we can have 78 pitches.
“This application doesn’t increase that number and objectors may say will this cause more highways danger, we don’t think so, it’s neutral and through the change of touring less and less people are taking their tourers along, they love Pembrokeshire and they want to stay at the site so they leave their tourers there.
“That is why the site is going to be enhanced, we will have more planting, more facilities so people want a little bit of privacy. It will be a lower density where these caravan pitches will be spread out.
“The town council are supportive but raise comments about highways but there shouldn’t be any increase.
“It’s a quality enhancement, integrating into the landscape, it’s well related to the village of Kilgetty, there is a train service, buses, shops, cafes and it’s in walkable distance of Folly Farm.
“Mr Ormond has said he will be looking to take on two part time or full time jobs and there is going to be an investment of around 100k for the meet and greet building and landscaping so there is going to be some boost to the local economy.
“This is a quality scheme and it is only going to enhance this area and tourism in Pembrokeshire.”
Objecting to the plans, Mr Byron Mansell said: “I have concerns about the lack of consultation regarding the resubmission. Myself and the owner of the fields adjacent to the caravan park have had no communication whatsoever from any of the agents or the council.
“There is 12 further caravans going against their boundary hedge which is 75m from my house. The meet and greet building will be approximately 100m from my house.
“I wish to object strongly to this planning application mainly on road safety grounds. My family have lived at Highlands for 40 years, we have seen many changes in this time. Ryelands Lane has been widened with a footpath and street lighting except when it comes to our house.
“It is a single track road and there is no room for any pedestrians and you would need to climb the hedge to allow vehicles to pass. Accidents are happening regularly and it is just a matter of time before somebody is seriously hurt.
“Whichever way you look at it there is going to be a significant increase in traffic in the lane.
“Kilgetty and Begelly Community Council are concerned about the road safety and describe this as a rural, narrow part of Ryelands Lane.
This has been the concern as far back as 1976.
“We have reached the limit on Ryelands Lane, please no more, we strongly recommend you refuse this application on road safety grounds or at least defer to allow a thorough consultation, road safety survey to be completed and we would like to request a site visit.”
Committee Chair, Cllr Jacob Williams read out a statement from the local member Cllr David Pugh who said: “Whilst I am generally in favour of the application, there is one issue concerning the access to the site which is along a short stretch of very narrow lane which is becoming notorious for accidents and near misses. The residents at the top of Ryelands Lane near the site have been complaining for some time about speeding vehicles. I and the community council have raised thses issues with the highways department who are supposed to be looking at these concerns but I have not heard anything lately.
“The report to the committee also states that no response was received from Kilgetty and Begelly Community Council but they sent in their response raising these concerns some time ago.”

There was some doubt about the number of pitches on the site and whether or not there would be an increase in 20 pitches. There was also concern that the touring caravans could be kept on the site all year round.

It was pointed out that the certificate of lawfulness did not have a limit on the number of pitches. The Council’s Interim Head of Planning, Mr David Popplewell said they would need to monitor the site to make sure it was being used as a caravan site.
Cllr Brian Hall moved the recommendation for approval and Cllr David Howlett seconded.

Continue Reading

News

Ethiopian sailor absconds from ship docked at Valero

Published

on

A SEARCH is underway for an Ethiopian sailor who has failed to return to his vessel after taking shore leave from a ship berthed in Pembrokeshire.

The male, who is understood to be a cadet in his twenties, was a crew member on the Perseus-N; a chemical products ship.

He failed to return to the ship on Tuesday night after 9pm (Aug 20).

The Liberian tanker has already left Milford Haven without the missing member of crew.

The Herald understands that the missing man was with a group of other sailors from the ship in the Milford Haven are using the marina’s leisure facilities.

The group then headed to Tesco in Milford Haven, where all went in to the store except the missing sailor who slipped away, according to CCTV which was checked by police.

One theory, The Herald has been told, was that he left on the train from Milford Haven station by hiding in the toilet. The station is next to the Tesco store.

Border Force have been contacted for a comment in relation to the incident.

Continue Reading

News

Former Chequers nightclub to reopen

Published

on

AN APPLICATION for a new premises licence for the former Chequers night club succeeded at a meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Licensing sub-committee on Thursday (Aug 22).

The former nightclub closed its doors for the last time in 2003, when it ran as a private members’ club, having had an application for a full on-licence rejected.

After failing in an attempt to close the club on that occasion, Pembrokeshire County Council became the only local authority in Wales to classify mobile homes as permanent residences in an effort to shut down the club once and for all.

The new applicant, Mrs Carmen Clemas applied for a new premises licence in respect of the club, which will be renamed the Queen of Clubs.

The Committee heard objections to the licence from local residents and heard representations from both the Police and Fire Service which pointed out that the building would need significant remedial works to it before it could re-open.

While Penally Community Council objected on the basis of events and problems at the premises almost twenty years ago, neither the Police nor Fire Service had an objection to the Club’s re-opening in principle.

Both emergency services emphasised that, even though they had no objections, they had concerns that had to be addressed.

Dyfed-Powys Police licensing officer Nigel Lewis highlighted road safety as a significant issue as it was “quite a nasty stretch of road.”

He said: “A solution will have to be found if the premise licence is to be granted, it’s way too dangerous to let a patron leave your place and and enter into that section,” he added.

The Committee granted the application, refusing permission for licensable activities at the Club on Sundays, apart from Sundays before Bank Holidays, and imposing strict noise control measures.

Continue Reading

News

St Davids RNLI to feature in new series of a popular TV documentary

Published

on

THE volunteer lifeboat crew of St Davids RNLI will be taking to the small screen next week as they will feature twice in the first episode of the BBC TV series Saving Lives at Sea.

Now in its fourth season the documentary series, which showcases the lifesaving work of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), will be aired on BBC Two on Tuesdays at 8 pm, as well as being available on the BBC iPlayer following the broadcast. The new 10-part series features real rescues carried out by the charity’s volunteer lifeboat crews and lifeguards around the UK and Ireland – including St Davids RNLI.

Each programme gives a unique insight into the lives and work of the charity’s lifesavers who are needed more than ever before, rescuing thousands of people and saving hundreds of lives around our coastline and on inland waterways every year. The new series features more dramatic real-life rescue footage, accompanied by emotive testimonials from the volunteer crews, lifeguards and the people they rescue and their families.

This forthcoming episode, on 27 August, sees St Davids RNLI launch to a crashed plane in one shout, and tow a yacht stranded in a shipping lane in another. These shouts are shown alongside rescue stories from their colleagues at other stations and beaches around our coasts.

Judd Kohler, Station Mechanic at St Davids Lifeboat Station, said: “The first episode of Saving Lives at Sea shows two very different shouts that St Davids RNLI responded to. The programme is a great chance for RNLI supporters to catch a glimpse of the work that their kind donations go towards. We want to say a huge thank you to supporters of the RNLI, who help us to save lives at sea.”

Filming took place over the past year, with lifeboat crews and lifeguards carrying special cameras and welcoming film-makers into their day-to-day life. Rescues from the RNLI’s archives are also revisited, and we get a glimpse into the everyday lives of the thousands of men and women who give up their time to save lives.

Last year alone, RNLI lifeboat crews around the UK and Ireland rescued 9,412 people, saving 211 lives, while the charity’s lifeguards aided 32,207 people and saved 118 lives on some of the UK’s busiest beaches.

Saving Lives at Sea begins on Tuesday 27 August at 8 pm on BBC Two, and will continue throughout August, September and October.

Continue Reading
News6 hours ago

Ethiopian sailor absconds from ship docked at Valero

A SEARCH is underway for an Ethiopian sailor who has failed to return to his vessel after taking shore leave...

Top News2 days ago

Council’s prosecution over shed was a ‘wheelie bad idea’

A MILFORD HAVEN businessman has succeeded in overturning a decision that he breached planning rules. James Kershaw, of Lower Priory,...

News3 days ago

Haverfordwest: Police promise extra patrols for GCSE results night

THERE will be an increased police presence in Haverfordwest tonight, in response to an anticipated influx of young people who...

News4 days ago

Woman and partner fled Mount blaze through window

A WOMAN and her partner had to jump out of the window of their flat, to escape the blaze that...

News4 days ago

£1500 worth of nail guns stolen in Haverfordwest

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for information on a theft that occurred in Haverfordwest, in which three nail guns were stolen....

News4 days ago

Arrest and court for pair accused of Mount flats fire

TWO people were arrested after a fire was started at a block of flats at the Mount Estate, Milford Haven....

News6 days ago

Plans to re-open night club put forward

THE FORMER Chequers nightclub in Penally could be granted a new license if plans are given the go-ahead. Now under...

News6 days ago

Casualty airlifted from Monkstone beach

A casualty was airlifted to hospital after becoming ill on the way to Monkstone beach on Saturday evening, August 17....

News1 week ago

Dale Road: Several have minor injuries after two vehicle accident

EMERGENCY SERVICES are attending a two-vehicle road traffic accident on the B4327 Dale Road. Two fire crews from Haverfordwest as...

News1 week ago

Tenby: Hotel goes into administration as new owner’s business empire collapses

A POPULAR Pembrokeshire hotel has gone into administration. The Fourcroft Hotel in Tenby how faces an uncertain future. It’s parent...

Popular This Week