Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Protest in support of Rhys

Published

on

Hundreds of pupils refused to attend classes in support of Rhys Jonson

Hundreds of pupils refused to attend classes in support of Rhys Jonson 


HUNDREDS of schoolchildren protested outside Milford Haven Comprehensive School on Friday morning in support of a pupil who they feel has been unfairly treated. As reported in last week’s Herald, Rhys Johnson shaved his head for charity recently in support of his auntie who has recently diagnosed with cancer. Also part of the fund raising action was Tesni Dockerty, a pupil from Tasker Milward School. Rhys was warned by the headteacher of the Milford school that if he went ahead with the fundraising event he would disciplinary action. But Rhys defied the school saying: ‘’I can’t see anything in the school rules that say I cannot shave my head. We raised a lot of money by doing it, over £700. In my opinion it was totally worth it.
On his return to school Rhys found that he was placed in the head of year room, isolated from the rest of the school.
Commenting at the protest on Friday morning, Rhys said: “I think it’s pathetic that I raised a lot of money for such a good cause, but yet I am isolated from everybody else. I’m not learning much! I want to learn and I want to be back in my lessons. I want my normal education and I want my normal life back. My friend who did it with me is being praised”.

Milford Haven School has issued the following statement to The Herald at 1500HRS Friday:

“The pupil in question and his mother were informed of the consequences of breaking the uniform and appearance rules prior to doing so.

“When the rules were broken an appropriate sanction was enforced, namely supervised study.

“This was a short-term measure which was clearly communicated and a return to the pupil’s normal timetable would have been effective once he complied with the school’s ruling.

“At Milford Haven School we believe it is important to maintain high standards in every aspect of school, life, including uniform and appearance.

“The reason for such policies is that there is a clear link between maintaining high standards in school behaviour and academic achievement.

“And to be fair to all our pupils, these rules must be consistently applied.

“Pupils and parents are frequently reminded of this and the vast majority are fully supportive.

“This issue has not arisen as a result of raising funds. It has arisen because of a clear breach of school rules.

“Pupils at Milford Haven School are widely praised for the work they do together in raising funds for many charities. However, this work is carried out within the boundaries of the school rules.

“While this morning’s demonstration by some pupils was disappointing and ill-advised, lessons for the vast majority of pupils continued as normal.”

The Herald understands that numbers of pupils in the protest did not go into school on Friday.

Continue Reading
2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. WJ Edwards

    October 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm

    This case illustrates how out of touch school rules like this are in these circumstances. The Head and Governors should be removed from the school!

  2. sammie corbin

    October 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm

    so the school cares about dress code more then there grades the school is the worse in pembs FACT abitta advice for the new head (as im hopin this 1 wont be there much longer) how kids look is the lease of your worries lets start by gettin there grades up
    well done to the students you pulled a blinda and bought milford comp to its knees..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Pembroke: Leave teenage girls alone, sex offender told

Published

on

A SEX OFFENDER from Ashdale Lane, Pembroke has been jailed for repeatedly ignoring court orders which were put in place to protect young girls.
Gareth Thomas James Flynn, aged 41, frightened a 14-year-old girl who refused to get off a bus in case he managed to find out where she lived.
41-year-old Gareth Thomas James Flynn scared a 14-year-old girl because she refused to get of a bus, frightened he would learn her address.
He admitted breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and was jailed today for a year.
Sitting at Swansea Crown Court, Judge Geraint Walters berated the defendant.  His Honour said that Flynn had shown a complete disregard for the original SHPO.
The judge said: “Leave teenage girls alone. They are scared of you”
He told Flynn he would be on licence for 12 months after his release from prison, and he reminded him that the SHPO remained in place.

Continue Reading

News

Narberth: ‘My mum’s camper was stolen and found burned out down the road’

Published

on

A CAMPER VAN stolen on Thursday night in Narberth was found burned a short distance from where it was parked, the owner’s son has said.

Zachary Bunce posted an appeal on Facebook on Friday morning saying: “Can every single one of my friends please share this my mother’s Ford transit campervan was stolen last night in the Narberth area can people please be on the lookout for this van as my mother is completely heartbroken.”

But three hours later he updated the post to say: “Thank you everyone who shared, sadly my mums van was driven 1.3 miles down the road and driven into a ditch and burnt it out.

Mr Bunce has said on that the incident has been captured on CCTV, and took place at 2.10am in the morning (Jan 24).
Anyone with any information should contact the police on 101.

Continue Reading

News

Hook: Police and school confirm death of boy, 13

Published

on

POLICE are investigating the sudden death of a 13-year-old boy from Hook on Wednesday (Jan 22)

A police spokesman told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 13-year-old boy, from the Hook area of Pembrokeshire.

“The death is not being treated as suspicious at this time. Next of kin have been advised and are being supported.”

A letter was sent out to parents and carers by Haverfordwest High VC School headteacher Jane Harries following the death. The letter reads: “It is with great sadness that I have to inform you about the sudden death of a year nine pupil at our school.

“The children in Year nine were told this morning by myself and other pupils were told by their teachers during their lesson this afternoon. The full detail surrounding the death are not known at this stage – but children have been reassured that this is something that does not happen very often. Your child may or may not want to talk bout it, but it is likely that he/she will need your special care, attention and reassurance at this difficult time.

“We are deeply affected by the death, but we are trying, for the children’s sake, to keep the school as normal as possible over the coming days, whilst allowing the children opportunities to talk about the pupil if they wish to. Trained support staff and counsellors are helping to support us through this difficult time. If you feel that your child needs extra support, please let us know.

“Our thoughts are with the pupil’s family at this difficult time, and the whole school community sends them our sincerest sympathy and support. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s achievement leader, or Miss Thomas, pastoral support manager. Paul Lucas, chairman of the governing body at Haverfordwest High VC School, said: “The governors are shocked at the tragic loss of this young student. The family are in our thoughts at this very sad time.”

Continue Reading
News3 hours ago

Narberth: ‘My mum’s camper was stolen and found burned out down the road’

A CAMPER VAN stolen on Thursday night in Narberth was found burned a short distance from where it was parked,...

Community7 hours ago

Dairy challenges Pembrokeshire kids to win £1,000 for their school

ECO-FRIENDLY kids in Pembrokeshire are being urged to get creative with recycling and win their school £1,000. The call comes...

News7 hours ago

Hook: Police and school confirm death of boy, 13

POLICE are investigating the sudden death of a 13-year-old boy from Hook on Wednesday (Jan 22) A police spokesman told...

News1 day ago

No action at Cardiff Airport over virus

THERE were no checks or screening at Cardiff airport this morning (Jan 23) as international concern continues to grow about...

Education3 days ago

No opt-out for learning about religion, relationships and sexuality

PARENTS will not be able to prevent their children from learning about religion, relationships and sexuality in the new curriculum....

Business3 days ago

Air Link Wales now flying from Haverfordwest

AVIATION company Flitestar Private Air have launched their new Air Link Wales Programme connecting Haverfordwest, Caernarfon and Cardiff with other...

News3 days ago

Pizza chain serves up new jobs

THIRTY new jobs have been created with the opening of a national pizza chain in Haverfordwest. Domino’s opened its new...

News3 days ago

Chopper crew helps to rescue surfer at Freshwater West

A WINDSURFER who got into difficulty was rescued from Freshwater West by rescue services on Sunday (Jan 19). HM Coastguard...

News4 days ago

Luke Evans to lead new ITV drama ‘The Pembrokeshire Murders’

MURDER MYSTERY and The Alienist star Luke Evans is to lead an ITV crime drama focused on west Wales. The...

Community4 days ago

Marisa celebrates in style with Chatty Man Alan Carr

A Slimming World Consultant from Whitland celebrated their group’s success by meeting chat show host and comedian, Alan Carr. Alan,...

Popular This Week