Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

A no-deal Brexit could cost Preseli Pembrokeshire 650 jobs, says campaign group

Published

on

AN ADVERTISING campaign has been launched in Preseli Pembrokeshire this weekend, to highlight the possible impact of a no-deal Brexit on local jobs.

This is based on a report which reveals that a no-deal Brexit could cost up to 650 people their jobs in Preseli Pembrokeshire. The figures, published by the UK Trade Policy Observatory, are estimates of the size of the Brexit economic shock in each constituency, equivalent to job losses.

The report suggests no-deal could cost 745,000 people in Britain their jobs.

A huge mobile billboard circulated in Preseli Pembrokeshire on Saturday 24 August with the message for local passers by to see. It will be returning again this weekend.

The 38 Degrees campaign showcases what a no-deal Brexit could really mean for voters in Preseli Pembrokeshire, and invites them to contact Stephen Crabb MP to do everything they can to stop the UK leaving the EU without a deal on the 31st October.

The risk to local jobs is just one focus of 38 Degrees’ nationwide campaign against a no-deal Brexit, which emphasises the real life impact it could have on the NHS, manufacturing industry, Britain’s farmers, public services and the wider economy.

Ellie Gellard, Campaigns Director at 38 Degrees, said: “A no-deal Brexit could see hundreds of thousands of people across the country lose their jobs, as barriers to trade hurt British industry. Whether we voted Leave or Remain, no one voted for this.”

“With the Prime Minister failing to rule out a damaging no-deal and with so much at stake, it’s vital that MPs who could help stop this hear from their constituents.

“That’s why voters in Preseli Pembrokeshire, and across the country, are being invited to send a message to their MP: do everything in your power to stop a no-deal Brexit. We didn’t vote to ‘take back control’, for people in Preseli Pembrokeshire to be put out of work.”

Meanwhile, Pembrokeshire for Europe will be holding an open meeting at the Bloomfield Centre, Narberth on 19 September at 7pm on the impact of Brexit on Pembrokeshire and West Wales. 3 distinguished speakers will give their perspectives on the impact of Brexit on Pembrokeshire and West Wales:-

Edward Perkins will speak about the impact on agriculture. Edward has enjoyed a long career as auctioneer and valuer for over 50 years. This has involved close contact with the agricultural industry on a wide variety of activities. Although based in West Wales his work has taken him to most parts of Wales an on various activities in Europe in the agricultural field. He has served many organisations and committees including 10 years on the Secretary of State advisory committee on agriculture. He has provided replies to many agricultural consultation papers. He is currently a consultant to the Edward H Perkins firm of rural surveyors and agricultural valuers.

Jeremy Percy will speak about the impact on fishing. Jeremy has been crew, skipper and owner of a variety of fishing vessels and was previously Deputy Director of the South Wales Sea Fisheries Committee and CEO to the Low Impact Fishers of Europe platform when he represented the interests of the small scale commercial fishermen across 16 european member states. He is currently director of the New Under Ten Fishermen’s Association in these challenging times for the UK’s fishing industry.

Gwyn Evans, Brexit Lead Officer for Pembrokeshire County Council will speak about the preparations the Council is making. In 2018 Gwyn developed the methodology behind the Brexit impact log that has since been adopted by numerous Councils across Wales and England. Since then he has been working with colleagues in Pembrokeshire and beyond on Brexit preparations and earlier this year was part of a Welsh Local Government Association delegation to Cornwall examining Brexit preparedness. Gwyn is a Chartered Secretary and Accounting Technician with considerable experience working on EU regional policy. He has worked in local government since 1982.

We have also invited a representative from the Welsh Government.

Alistair Cameron from Pembrokeshire for Europe said: “Since joining the Common Market in the 1970s, Pembrokeshire together with the rest of Wales and Britain has benefited through frictionless trade with over 300 million customers in the EU. Our ferries at Fishguard and Pembroke Dock enjoy easy access to Ireland. Also thanks to our membership of the European Union, we benefit from free trade agreements with over 50 countries around the world.”

We are organising this meeting to discuss the benefits of EU membership to Pembrokeshire and West Wales and also the risks of Brexit. Everyone is welcome to come to this open meeting to ask questions and take part in the discussion.

To support Pembrokeshire for Europe or obtain further information, please contact Alistair Cameron on 07901 564616 or email pembrokeshire@walesforeurope. You can also find us on Facebook or follow our Twitter account @Pembs4EU.

Continue Reading

News

Man arrested at Penally Training Camp for arson and criminal damage

Published

on

A 29-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested on suspicion of arson and criminal damage at the Penally Training Camp.

Police and ambulances services attended the camp last night (Sept 30).

Police said that the man remains in police custody.

The Welsh Ambulance Service said: “We were called last night to reports of a patient needing medical attention at Penally Camp. We responded with one emergency ambulance and one person was transported to Withybush Hospital.”

It is unknown at this time is the man arrested was an asylum seeker or a local person.

He is the third person to be arrested in connection with the camp in recent days.

Continue Reading

News

Police probe into racist Facebook comments over Penally asylum seekers

Published

on

A NEIGHBOURING police force have confirmed that they are investigating grossly offensive comments on a Facebook group that suggest that asylum seekers staying at the MOD Training Camp in Penally should be gassed or shot.

Around 234 asylum seekers—Kurdish Iraqis and Kurdish Iranians—are set to be housed at the camp.

Many of the protesters are locals concerned about their communities after a lack of communication of the arrival of the asylum seekers by the home Office, but South Wales police believe that some of the protests outside the camp have been organised by far-right elements based in Swansea.

Two people have been arrested in connection with protests. One person released without charge, and another, – a well-known right leaning You Tube vlogger from outside the local area has been bailed on the condition he says out of the county.

Some of the shocking posts state: “Run the bastards over”… “Put a bullet in their heads if they can’t respect others” or “Tell your family to keep everything locked up, 250 new thieves, rapist and paedophiles are about to arrive in the area.”

Far-right activist Tommy Robinson has added his voice to the Penally Camp protest campaign. The founder of the English Defence League dubbed the prospect of the camp housing up to 250 asylum seekers as ‘sickening’, which has led to more interest in Penally online.
The Pembrokeshire Herald has engaged Facebook moderators after news articles, which now reach one million people online, were spammed with racist comments. 6,000 comments have already been checked, and hundreds deleted this newspaper can confirm.

A police spokesman said: “South Wales Police is looking into a number of inflammatory posts published on social media concerning the accommodation of asylum seekers at Penally in Pembrokeshire. Users of social media are requested to be mindful of the language used when publishing posts.”

Continue Reading

News

There are no illegal immigrants in Penally, Home Office confirms

Published

on

THE HOME OFFICE has been in touch with The Pembrokeshire Herald to clarify some of the queries that locals have regarding the Penally Army Camp, now being used to house asylum seekers.

The Management Team at the asylum seeker holding unit have refused to engage with the local County Councillor, John Preston, but the information now received could go some way to answer some of the questions which have, until now, remained unanswered on social media, and by the local member himself.

Firstly, there has been speculation about the immigration status of those people held in Penally. The government has now confirmed that those being housed in MoD sites are people “currently awaiting asylum decisions”.

This means that all of the people in the camp have applied for asylum officially, and that they are currently in the United Kingdom legally. This is because a refugee, who has presented himself to the UK authorities without delay, showed good cause for his entry or presence and has made a claim for asylum as soon as was reasonably practicable, is afforded protection in law from offences connected with that entry. It is legal for people to enter the country in a manner which would normally be illegal, as long as it was for the purposes of seeking asylum.

The people who are staying at Penally Camp are new to the UK, having arrived in boats or in the back of lorries – but they have already been quarantined and screened for Covid-19.

A Home Office spokesperson said: “In line with guidelines about arrivals into the United Kingdom, asylum seekers will have first spent a 14-day quarantine period in other temporary accommodation before, providing they do not display any symptoms of Covid-19, being moved to the MoD sites [including Penally].”

The Home Office also said that whenever using contingency accommodation, they “ensure that detailed assessment is carried out to ensure asylum seekers have the support services they need. If there are any issues that need to be addressed, we will work with our contractor and other partners to find solutions.

Suggesting that the decision to use Penally Camp was made in a rush the Home Office said: “There are times where contingency accommodation must be procured and mobilised at speed to ensure we meet our legal obligations.”

The spokesman added: “The Home Office is committed to working collaboratively with communities and stakeholders to ensure that destitute asylum seekers are provided with safe, secure and suitable accommodation while their asylum claims are considered. This includes working in partnership with local authorities, Clinical Commissioning Groups in England and Local Health Boards in Wales, Public Health England and Wales, the Welsh Government and local police forces. We have specifically set up an Asylum Accommodation Strategic Working Group to support collaborative working.

“Our ambition is to house asylum seekers within the asylum estate without the need for contingency accommodation. We are working to address the issues putting pressure on our asylum accommodation. This includes resuming support cessations, to get people moving out of accommodation when their cases are concluded, and also to continue to take steps to address illegal migration and the exploitation and organised criminality that goes with it, including the dangerous Channel crossings we have seen in recent times”.

THREAT OF ARREST

In regards to the protests in Penally, the Home Office spokesperson said: “We will not tolerate any attempts to fuel resentment towards asylum seekers and we will take all the necessary steps to protect people in our care.

“We continually review the security at asylum accommodation sites with providers, who work closely with local police to ensure action is taken if someone tries to access a site.”

The information sent from the Home Office came on the day that more asylum seekers were bussed into the camp, under the escort of unmarked police vehicles (Sept 28).
One solitary protestor was on hand to attempt to block the bus, but under the threat of arrest he was moved out of the way by a police officer.

On Monday evening, some of the asylum seekers from the camp came to the gates to speak to protestors. One of those protestors, James Gould, a member of the Facebook group ‘Penally Against Illegal Migrant Camp’ live streamed an ad-hoc interview with one of the camp residents, which has now been seen by over 20,000 people.

COUNCILLOR WANTS HIS VOICE HEARD

Meanwhile, Cllr Preston is pushing forward with his plan to spread national awareness about what is happening in Penally. He told the press over the weekend: “I spoke with a Home Office official last week and stated that I am deeply uncomfortable with the possibility that our human rights obligations may not be possible to uphold in such a facility”

“It is my understanding that the asylum seekers have been removed from support networks established within the UK who have the infrastructure to provide them with their essential medical, spiritual, emotional, and domestic needs.

“They have then been transported during the night to Penally where they have witnessed mass protests and media attention.

“Due to the highly prominent location of the camp it has now become a point of public curiosity creating an environment of anxiety and fear for those on both sides of the fence.

“I have met with residents and business owners over the weekend, and it is still not clear why such a facility has been established in the heart of one of Europe’s premier holiday destinations.

“I am in contact with the BBC with a view to raising national awareness of the situation at Penally Camp and how it has been implemented by the Home Office as I consider this to be of national importance.

“It will not benefit anyone to have a government enquiry in five years’ time to tell us lessons have been learnt’. The injustice is happening now in real time and this decision must be re-called as a matter of urgency”

In other comments to the press the councillor said: “No consideration has been afforded to the elderly population in the area or to the needs of a large group of vulnerable adults. The autocratic manner in which this decision has been made should be a concern to us all. We will continue to demand that it is reconsidered”

Continue Reading
News29 mins ago

Man arrested at Penally Training Camp for arson and criminal damage

A 29-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested on suspicion of arson and criminal damage at the Penally Training Camp. Police and...

News23 hours ago

Police probe into racist Facebook comments over Penally asylum seekers

A NEIGHBOURING police force have confirmed that they are investigating grossly offensive comments on a Facebook group that suggest that...

News2 days ago

There are no illegal immigrants in Penally, Home Office confirms

THE HOME OFFICE has been in touch with The Pembrokeshire Herald to clarify some of the queries that locals have...

News3 days ago

Police appeal for witnesses after 20-year-old pedestrian tragically killed on A40

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses to a fatal road traffic collision on the A40 west of Carmarthen on Saturday...

News5 days ago

No one wants a ‘concentration camp’ for asylum seekers in Penally

A COUNTY COUNCILLOR is slamming the Home Office for creating a “concentration camp” in Pembrokeshire. Cllr Paul Dowson says that...

News6 days ago

Alcohol sale restrictions come into force

ALL LICENSED premises in Pembrokeshire must now stop selling alcohol at 10pm. The move is part of further Welsh Government...

News7 days ago

Police and Crime Commissioner demands halt to movements of asylum seekers to Penally

THE LOCAL Police and Crime Commissioner is calling on Home Secretary to halt further movements of asylum seekers to Penally...

News7 days ago

Multi agency response at Milford Docks

AN incident at Milford Haven Docks this morning required a multi agency response. The Herald received a report of a...

News1 week ago

Charity organiser targeted by extremists over Penally Camp collection appeal

LOCAL charity organiser Tracy Olin and her family have been targeted by extremists opposed to the location of asylum seekers...

News1 week ago

NHS COVID-19 app launches across Wales

People are being urged to download the NHS COVID-19 app to help stop the spread of coronavirus and protect themselves...

Popular This Week