Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Huge cocaine haul worth £20 million recovered from yacht in Fishguard

Published

on

More than 250 kilograms of cocaine have been seized and six people arrested, after an investigation led to the interception of a yacht off the coast of Wales.

As a result, officers from Border Force cutter HMC Protector boarded the sailing yacht approximately half a mile off the coast of Wales on Tuesday 27 August.

The vessel was then escorted into Fishguard port and a search by Border Force’s Deep Rummage team began.

Officers discovered numerous packages containing white powder, which had been distributed throughout the vessel. Forensic inquiries indicate that this is cocaine.

The quantity found so far would have a wholesale value to criminals of around £8 million, and a potential street value of £20 million.

Searches continue, and investigators believe there may be up to 750kgs on board.

NCA, Border Force, and Dyfed-Powys police officers remain on the scene.

Two men aged 53 and 41 were arrested on board the vessel and remain in custody for questioning.

Four others – three men aged, 23, 31 and 47 and a woman aged 30 – were arrested in Liverpool and Loughborough. They were later released on bail until late September.

NCA Deputy Director of Investigations, Craig Naylor, said: “This is a substantial seizure of cocaine, which would have generated tens of millions of pounds in criminal profits.

“NCA officers on the front line play a vital role in tackling the serious and organised criminals that undermine the safety and security of our nation.

“These drugs were intended for sale on UK streets, where they will have fuelled considerable violence and exploitation. I’d like to thank all those involved in preventing them from reaching their destination.

“The NCA works with partners in the UK and around the world to target the criminal groups posing the greatest threat to the public.”

Deputy Director Steve Whitton, from Border Force’s Maritime Command, said: “This is a major seizure and a testament to the multi-agency approach we take to secure the UK’s border and territorial waters.

“Our collaboration with the NCA, combined with excellent work from the crew of HMC Protector and officers from our specialist deep rummage team ensured that the sailing Yacht ATREVIDO’s cargo did not reach its intended destination.

“Working together, we will continue to do all we can to put the organised crime groups involved in drug smuggling before the courts.”

News

Pembroke Dock: Man hospitalised after ‘jumping through pizza shop window’

Published

on

A PEMBROKE DOCK man has been taken to hospital after becoming injured by glass in Pembroke Dock.

According to a passing motorist a male was seen shouting and screaming in the street – he was being restrained by others.

He then jumped into the glass window of the PizzaTime take away in Meyrick Street, cutting his stomach on the glass.

Multiple police vehicles and an ambulance attended the incident which took place at around 15.30 HRS.

The road was temporarily blocked.

Once police car remains on scene (16:49 HRS)

MORE TO FOLLOW ON THIS STORY

Continue Reading

News

Welcome for rail investment pledge

Published

on

TRANSPORT FOR WALES has announced the details of the £194 million investment plan to improve all 247 railway stations across Wales.

The Station Improvement Vision highlights what improvements customers and communities can expect to see at their local stations over the next fifteen years.

The ambitious programme will deliver free WiFi, improved shelters, CCTV, improved provision for cycle storage and improved passenger information, at every station.

Where possible, Transport for Wales will also create new retail facilities, presenting opportunities for local businesses and work in partnership to develop community spaces at stations.

The improvements include expanding the Secure Station Accreditation programme, a UK accreditation in conjunction with the British Transport Police, which will make stations safer and more welcoming for customers.

Demonstrating their commitment and supporting Welsh Government’s plans to create a more sustainable Wales through deduction in carbon emissions generated through transport, TfW will create at least 1,500 additional car parking spaces across the network, making it easier for people to leave their car and use public transport.

The Vision also highlights how accessibility will be enhanced across the network with the delivery of eleven Access for All schemes by 2024, with the installation of footbridges with lifts or ramps, partly funded by the UK Department for Transport.

As part of their plans to reinvest into the communities they serve, TfW has held events and workshops aimed at small and medium enterprises in Wales, providing opportunities for them to bid for work linked to the Station Improvement Vision.

James Price, Transport for Wales CEO said: “Transport for Wales is transforming transport throughout Wales and the launch of our Station Improvement Vision indicates the start of a £194 million investment programme. This investment into all our 247 railway stations will improve the way they look, make them safer and provide more commercial and community opportunities.

“We want to improve the overall customer experience and also work collaboratively to develop partnerships with local businesses and communities.”

Ken Skates, Minister for Economy and Transport said: “I warmly welcome Transport for Wales’ Station Improvement Vision, which will see a £194 million investment in railway stations the length and breadth of Wales and the Borders. Over the next 15 years, this huge investment will vastly improve important gateways to our cities, towns and villages.

“The vision has been launched in Swansea – as it celebrates its 50th year as a City – where it will contribute to the development of a metro system ready to meet the transport needs of the future. There are ambitious plans to deliver an improved railway and public transport network across all of Wales and the investment announced today will be a significant step towards that.”

In July this year, Carmarthenshire County Council leader Emlyn Dole welcomed the announcement of a new parkway station at Felindre.

Speaking at the time, Cllr Dole said: “This is very welcome news, which will benefit Carmarthenshire businesses and residents. An initial 14-minute reduction in journey times to Cardiff and onto London will make a significant difference to passengers travelling that route.

“New infrastructure, with supporting additional rail journeys to West Wales, is essential to boost the regional economic prosperity. And with traffic continuing to grow on key trunk roads across West Wales, an improved offer from rail both in journey time, frequency and quality of service is vital to help tackle congestion and improve connectivity.

Labour Assembly Member, Eluned Morgan also welcomed the investment.

Ms Morgan said: “This is an ambitious plan from the Welsh Government and Transport for Wales to improve the passenger experience at railway stations across the Welsh network. There is a sharp focus on making railway stations cleaner and safer for passengers.

“Lighting is already being upgraded at many stations including Clunderwen and new litter bins and local area maps will be coming – in an answer to calls made to improve Pembroke Dock station.”

Carmarthen station, earmarked as an ‘interchange station’, will benefit from new retail facilities, information screens and accessible toilets for all.

Marc Tierney, Labour’s Parliamentary Candidate for Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire added: “The announcement today is positive for communities across the area, bringing them up to date and maximising their potential as transport hubs in the heart of our towns and villages. There is also the prospect of a brand new station at St. Clears.

“The Welsh Government feasibility study into reopening a railway station at St. Clears has put plans for the station through to the next stage.

“Re-opening a station at St. Clears would complete a missing piece in the network in West Wales. I trust the UK Government will make the necessary funding available as soon as possible.”

Continue Reading

News

Haverfordwest’s Regeneration Plans Unveiled

Published

on

Haverfordwest’s Regeneration will be the order of the day today as Pembrokeshire County Council releases its initial plans for the redevelopment of the town centre.

The consultation event at County Hall (2pm – 7pm) today will enable members of the public to view and discuss the plans with designers and council officers, together with Cllr Paul Miller, Cabinet Member with responsibility for Regeneration.

The plans, which include the Ocky White site and the Riverside area of the town centre, have been created to give the public a glance of what can be achieved in Haverfordwest. The Council are also clear that the plans sit at a stage where public suggestions and contributions can influence the final outcome.

“We want to create a new Haverfordwest experience that is for everyone and one that enables residents and tourists to enjoy the experience of a revitalised County Town,” said Cllr Miller.

“Public consultation isn’t lip service – it’s about seeking opinions and feedback on the current plans and encouraging those with great ideas to come forward and contribute to the redevelopment of their town. The opportunity is there and we are looking forward to engaging with those in attendance.”

The project design team will be in attendance this evening, together with representatives from Welsh government; an example that Pembrokeshire’s regeneration plans are gaining traction and awareness on a national stage.

“We are proud of the progress now being made on our county-wide regeneration and we are finally starting to see plans become reality, delivering what we feel is a value-for-money investment in our communities, towns and marketable tourism assets,” said Cllr Miller.

“Regeneration will be inclusive of those who want to work with us to build a new, vibrant and successful Pembrokeshire.”


To attend the event, report to County Hall Main Reception where you will be directed to the Consultation Event. (2pm – 7pm, Thursday 19th September)

Continue Reading
News10 hours ago

Pembroke Dock: Man hospitalised after ‘jumping through pizza shop window’

A PEMBROKE DOCK man has been taken to hospital after becoming injured by glass in Pembroke Dock. According to a...

News17 hours ago

Protesters block access to Valero Refinery and Pembroke Power Station

WORKERS making their way to Pembroke Power Station and Valero oil refinery were unable to get to work on Thursday...

News2 days ago

Fishguard: Armed police presence at Fishguard port

ARMED officers from Dyfed-Powys Police were on scene at the port in Fishguard this morning (Sept 18). Border Force and...

News2 days ago

Police confirm firefighter died in Neyland boat collision

DYFED-POWYS POLICE attended Neyland Marina, Milford Haven following reports of a collision on the waterway at around 11:30am on Tuesday,...

News3 days ago

Investigation launched after fatal collision between two boats on Milford Haven waterway

POICE have confirmed that a man was killed following a collision between two boats on the waterway. Emergency services were...

News3 days ago

‘Disagreement with landlord’ means that Haverfordwest Debenhams will close

FORTY FIVE staff will lose their jobs following the announcement that the Haverfordwest branch Debenhams will close on November 10....

News4 days ago

Chairman’s tribute to serving County Councillor who has died

THE CHAIRMAN of Pembrokeshire County Council has paid tribute to serving County Councillor Margot Bateman who has died. Councillor Bateman...

News4 days ago

KFC plans to open two drive thrus in Pembrokeshire by 2020

THERE is good news for KFC fans in Pembrokeshire – the company selected 536 locations where bosses are hoping to...

News4 days ago

Tenby: Police appeal following early hours altercation in Crackwell Lane

TENBY police are investigating a report of an altercation which occurred in Crackwell Lane, Tenby during the early hours of...

News7 days ago

Government removes refinery reference from Yellowhammer document

A DOCUMENT which the UK Government was forced to publish by the House of Commons was redacted to remove a...

Popular This Week