Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Community order for Pembroke Dock man who downloaded 6570 child abuse images

Published

on

A 46-YEAR-OLD man who downloaded over 6,500 indecent images of children, has narrowly missed going to jail.

Brett Johnson on Finch Close, Pembroke Dock, appeared at Swansea Crown Court today (Oct 4).
He was convicted of two charges of downloading one indecent image of a child of Category B, and downloading 6,570 indecent images of children of Category C at Ceredigion Magistrates’ Court on August 27.
He also appeared at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on September 16, when magistrates decided to decline jurisdiction.
Prosecutor, Dean Pulling, said: “Officers from Dyfed Powys Police executed a search at the defendant’s address on June 27, 2018. The defendant was present and the reason for the search was explained.
“A number of devices were found – 22 devices in total were seized. He was interviewed that day and night and answered no comment to all questions.
“The devices were given to Alan Morris who wrote a digital forensics report, and this was his findings: Five separate devices were found to be used for downloading 6,571 indecent images of children that had been deleted, but we’re recovered. The images were in Category B and C.
“There were 520 images on a Dell laptop, 3,558 on a Buffalo hard drive, 1,484 on a SanDisk USB stick and 807 on a red USB stick.
“The photos depicted girls between six and 10 years of age, and were downloaded from 2005 up until the seizure. File sharing software, uTorrent, was used to download the images. Google searches were made that were all indicative of the downloading of underage indecent images.
“Johnson had searched for ‘pre-teen’, ‘seven year old girls’ – He had also searched for websites associated with underage material, which dates back a number of years. There is abundant evidence that he visited these websites on a number of occasions.”
Mr Pulling continued: “Police subsequently spoke to his family and asked them about their access to the devices. He then gave a prepared statement on April 28 this year, to say the he downloaded the images and he didn’t share them with anyone.”
The court heard that the offences have had a ‘detrimental impact’ on his life, and has put a strain on his relationship with his wife.
He now lives out of the family home and has supervised access to his son. He also resigned from his place of work.
The judge told the court that he felt Johnson needs to ‘admit the problems’ he has, as he had originally said he was sent the photos without having asked for them. The judge called this ‘ludicrous’.
Johnson was sentenced to a two year community order, with the requirement of completing a 30-day rehabilitation activity requirement to address his sexual activities.
The devices used to download the images will be destroyed.
Johnson was also placed on a sexual harm prevention order, which prohibits him from using a computer unless it retains history, and must notify of police within three days of any device he uses or obtains.
He is prohibited from any private browsing, and must not destroy any electrical equipment without informing the police first.
He was placed upon the sex offenders’ register for five years, and ordered to pay £340 prosecution costs in 56 days.

Community

Cemeteries re-open to public

Published

on

Following the issuing of revised guidance by Welsh Government
yesterday evening (Friday, 3 rd April), all 11 of Pembrokeshire County
Council-owned cemeteries will be re-opened to members of the public
from 8 am tomorrow, Sunday, 5 th April.

The grounds of Parc Gwyn Crematorium in Narberth will now also be
accessible at their normal hours (10 am to 5 pm) although the Chapel
of Remembrance will remain closed until further notice.  

Welsh Government is in the process of making amendments to the
Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions Wales) Regulations 2020
which clarify the arrangements for funerals and crematoriums.
This includes the revision that cemeteries can remain open but social
distancing must be taken into account.

The list of persons who may attend a funeral – namely members of
the deceased’s household, close family, and a friend (only if no
household or family members were attending) plus carers of persons
attending – is also being changed.

The revised legislation states: ‘This will now include the person
arranging the funeral and anyone invited by that person (or any carer
of any of those persons) who may attend a funeral (and will be
considered to have a reasonable excuse for leaving their homes).’
The numbers of mourners attending funerals at Parc Gwyn
Crematorium or burials in any Pembrokeshire County Council-owned
cemeteries remains unchanged at 12.

The Council’s 11 cemeteries are:
 Rosemarket
 Llangwm
 Freystrop
 St Ishmaels
 City Road, Haverfordwest
 Nolton Haven
 Llanfair Nanty Gof (Trecwn)
 Llanwnda
 Llanion, Pembroke Dock
 Monkton
 St Michael’s, Pembroke.

Continue Reading

News

Childcare for children aged 0-4 of critical workers

Published

on

Following the announcement today (Monday 6th April) made by the
Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services, funding is being
provided to each Local Authority in Wales to support the cost of
Childcare for children 0-4 years of Critical Workers and also
vulnerable children who also need to access registered childcare. 

From today, Critical Workers with children aged 0-4 years will be able
to access childcare at a registered setting at no cost.

To make this funding possible, The Welsh Government has had to
suspend the Childcare Offer for Wales with immediate effect.

Applications are now closed and all children who were due start on
the Childcare Offer this April will be cancelled until further notice.

However, The Welsh Government will continue to pay booked hours
for children who are currently participating in the Childcare Offer until
mid-June 2020, with a review to be undertaken at the end of that
period.   

Pembrokeshire County Council will manage all bookings for the
Critical Workers childcare Offer.

To access this, you must register your child with Pembrokeshire
County Council.

For more information and to register please visit: 
https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/coronavirus-advice-and-guidance/childcare-provision-for-children-of-critical-workers-and-vulnerable-children

Continue Reading

Education

Learners ‘Dream Team’ logo is a hit

Published

on

Learners studying on the Cornerstone programme at Pembrokeshire College recently entered a competition set by Pembrokeshire People First (PPF) to design a logo for their Dream Team.

Made up of PPF’s four learning disability champions, The Dream Team make sure that the voices of people with learning disabilities are heard and they needed a logo that shows what they do.

College lecturer, Heidi Baker saw the competition and thought this would be a great project for her Cornerstone learners – a group of 14 students with learning disabilities who love to get creative.

To start the process the learners undertook some research into what makes a good logo and found that effective logos are: easy to recognise, colourful, simple, vibrant and don’t contain too many different colours or words.

The learners then invited members of The Dream Team into the College to ask them questions about what they do and what kind of logo they needed. This allowed the learners to build everything they needed into the design, including the fact that the logo had to be bilingual.

The learners submitted several designs and provided the judges with information on how they had developed their ideas. The judges were overwhelmed by the learners’ ideas and the efforts they had put into creating a logo including providing mock-ups of their designs on t-shirts and bags.

Following a couple of tweaks, The Dream Team will soon proudly be wearing the logo designed by Cornerstone learners.

Lecturer Heidi Baker commented: “It is great to have students with learning disabilities designing for The Dream Team. We’re proud to have created a truly collaborative logo – all the students had a hand in creating it – and we hope The Dream Team enjoy using it. We might be up for designing more logos in the future if anyone else out there is interested in commissioning us!”

Continue Reading
Community10 hours ago

Cemeteries re-open to public

Following the issuing of revised guidance by Welsh Government yesterday evening (Friday, 3 rd April), all 11 of Pembrokeshire County...

News10 hours ago

Childcare for children aged 0-4 of critical workers

Following the announcement today (Monday 6th April) made by the Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services, funding is being...

Education18 hours ago

Learners ‘Dream Team’ logo is a hit

Learners studying on the Cornerstone programme at Pembrokeshire College recently entered a competition set by Pembrokeshire People First (PPF) to...

News4 days ago

Council pays out £2.5m in business grants to date

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has revealed that since Wednesday, 1st April, it has already paid out £2.5 million in grants to...

News4 days ago

Man issued with two COVID-19 fines in 24 hours as police thank those following new legislation

A man has been issued with two fines in 24 hours for flouting Coronavirus legislation, as police thank those who...

News5 days ago

School staff video spreads positive message to students

A VIDEO featuring hundreds of Pembrokeshire educators, teachers and support staff is spreading a positive message to their students and...

News5 days ago

Public bus services change in Pembrokeshire

Due to the current situation there are a number of changes required to public bus services in Pembrokeshire. The County...

News5 days ago

Coronavirus patient being treated at Withybush intensive care unit, say staff

STAFF working at Withybush General Hospital in Haverfordwest have confirmed that there is a patient in intensive care suffering from...

News6 days ago

Covid-19 grants for small businesses now being distributed

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S Cabinet Member for Economy, Tourism, Leisure and Culture, Paul Miller, has announced that payments to businesses started...

News6 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader’s coronavirus update

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Tuesday, 31st March, as follows: ‘I...

Popular This Week