Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Takeaway owner jailed – ‘unfit to run a kitchen’

Published

on

The former owner of a food outlet in Cilgerran has been jailed for four months after he was branded “unfit to run a kitchen” by a Crown Court Judge.

Zhi Hua Zhao ran the Grace Chinese takeaway when a routine inspection in January 2018 by an officer from Pembrokeshire County Council’s food safety team found unsatisfactory and substandard conditions.

The visit resulted in the issue of a food hygiene rating of 0 – the lowest rating under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme – and a requirement for Zhao to complete immediate improvements in order to protect public health.

Formal proceedings followed due to the seriousness of the conditions identified and continued non-compliance.

When Zhao disappeared, providing no forwarding address, the Council obtained a warrant for his arrest.

It was also discovered that in 2009 Zhao had been banned by Maidstone Crown Court from running a food business.

But Swansea Crown Court heard on Monday (13th January) that, despite the ban, Zhao had continued to operate food businesses.

Zhao was arrested and was charged with five food hygiene offences including failure to comply with an Improvement Notice and running a food business while prohibited by a court order.

Sentencing Zhao, Judge HHJ Walters said: “The reality in this case is that you are not fit to run any kitchen. You don’t have basic understanding of what is required. Food hygiene rules are there for a purpose, not simply bureaucratic rules. They are there to ensure safety of the public”.

Zhao was sentenced to four months imprisonment concurrent for each offence and ordered to pay £1,000 prosecution costs within 12 months.

Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Public Protection, Cris Tomos, said after the hearing: “The conditions in these premises were particularly poor, and the food hygiene rating score of 0, combined with a continuing failure to comply with food safety requirements, meant that a prosecution was inevitable.

“The sentence reflects current guidelines and we expect to see similar offences dealt with equally seriously by the courts.”
Councillor Tomos added: “This case demonstrates the crucial importance of food businesses complying with all food safety legislation.”

News

Death on Freemens Way

Published

on

A 56-YEAR-OLD man has died following an incident on Freemens Way, Haverfordwest, on Wednesday night (Jul 15).

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “A 56-year-old man has died following an incident at Freemens Way, Haverfordwest, last night.

“He was taken to hospital with severe injuries, but sadly passed away.

“His family has been informed and is being supported by local officers.

“An investigation is ongoing but the circumstances are not believed to be suspicious.

“HM coroner has been informed.”

Continue Reading

News

Two arrested for shouting racist comments at BLM protest

Published

on

TWO teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of shouting racist comments at Black Lives Matter protestors, at the latest event in Haverfordwest on Wednesday night (Jul 15).
Commenting on the incident, Superintendent of Pembrokeshire division, Ross Evans said: “On Wednesday evening (July 15) a peaceful protest took place on Picton Fields, Haverfordwest, as part of the Black Lives Matter movement.

“The demonstration, which was attended by around 70 people, was overseen by local officers as part of appropriate plans in place to allow for peaceful protest.

“Sadly, officers present observed a man and a boy shouting a number of racist comments towards those attending the demonstration, and promptly arrested both, one aged 19 and the other 14, on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offences.

“The comments understandably caused a great deal of upset and distress to those from the demonstration who heard them.

“The two men arrested have been taken to Haverfordwest custody, where they remain currently. Anyone who witnessed the incident and has any information is asked to contact police by emailing us at: contactcentre@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk, or call 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311908.”

Continue Reading

News

Local bus firms in protest drive over uncertainty

Published

on

HONK for hope is being backed by the coach operators surrounding the South West Wales area.

They took to the roads around Haverfordwest, Carmarthen, and Cardigan in peaceful protest to support the call for help by coach operators during the corona virus pandemic.

Honk for hope is a national campaign to draw the public’s attention to the impact the Covid-19 pandemic has had on the industry. It seeks to draw Governments attention to the dangerous position the coach and travel industry has fallen under, asking for them to take action.

Local coach companies, including Midway Motors, took to the roads to show their support to the campaign and to highlight the impact the pandemic has had on the industry and to ask for more support from the Government.

The coaches and supporters met at the Carmarthen Park and Ride on July 14 at 11am to begin the drive. On the trip they visited Carmarthen at around 11.15am then headed to Haverfordwest for noon, finally reaching cardigan at 1.30pm.

Midway Motors spoke on their social media page: ‘Amazing to see so many local companies turning up to travel around Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion. Nice to see so many people along the roadsides as well. Let’s hope for some good news from the Government in Westminster tomorrow.”

Continue Reading
News2 hours ago

Death on Freemens Way

A 56-YEAR-OLD man has died following an incident on Freemens Way, Haverfordwest, on Wednesday night (Jul 15). A Dyfed-Powys Police...

News5 hours ago

Two arrested for shouting racist comments at BLM protest

TWO teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of shouting racist comments at Black Lives Matter protestors, at the latest event...

News1 day ago

Police clamp down on drugs supply by mail

POLICE have intercepted drugs being sent by mail following an operation at a sorting office. Dyfed-Powys Police joined Royal Mail...

News2 days ago

Two arrested in Milford Haven drugs raid

OFFICERS from Dyfed-Powys Police conducted a major drug bust in Milford Haven at the weekend. Officers swooped on a first...

News3 days ago

Milford Waterfront ready to welcome back visitors

MILFORD WATERFRONT says it is ready to welcome visitors back to eat, shop and enjoy. The Port said in a...

News3 days ago

21st Century School Project shortlisted for award

ONE of Pembrokeshire County Council’s biggest construction projects to date has been shortlisted for a prestigious award. The £38.3m project...

News3 days ago

HMRC invites hospitality industry to register for ‘Eat Out to Help Out’

RESTAURANTS and other establishments serving food for on premises consumption can now sign up to a new government initiative aimed...

News6 days ago

Busy return to Welsh beaches for RNLI lifeguards as the charity urges parents to be beach safe

RNLI LIFEGUARDS have had a busy return to service in Wales with two lives saved in the opening weeks. Now...

News6 days ago

Eight cows shot dead in ‘serious incident’ at Castlemartin Firing Range

EIGHT cattle have been killed and four have been injured after an accident at Castlemartin Firing Range. The incident earlier...

News6 days ago

Dyfed-Powys issues more than 1,700 fines during lockdown

DYFED-POWYS POLICE issued more than 1,700 fines during the lockdown period, the force has announced. Between March 27, when fixed...

Popular This Week