Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

A plan of action for Welsh food and drink

Published

on

kitchenA NEW action plan setting out how the Welsh Government will help Wales’s food and drink industry grow by 30 percent to £7 billion by 2020 was launched yesterday (Thursday) Alun Davies, the Minister for Natural Resources and Food. 

Wales’s food and farming industry is already a significant contributor to the Welsh economy and accounts for £5.2bn turnover, 45,000 jobs and £1.3bn Gross Value Added (GVA) in Wales. Towards Sustainable Growth: An Action Plan for the Food and Drink Industry 2014 – 2020 recognises the importance of the sector and lists 48 actions that will deliver greater profitability, growth and jobs. All actions are time-specific and will be measured against outcomes. They include: Creating a Food & Drink Wales Industry Board to provide leadership and a voice for the industry Developing the new Food & Drink Wales/ Bwyd a Diod Cymru identity for food and drink to emphasise Welsh provenance and promote trade and market development Focusing on training to create a skilled and capable workforce throughout the food chain The Minister will address around 150 food businesses, farming unions, university representatives and key players from the UK’s food and drink industry in Cardiff later today and will set out how the plan will help achieve sustainable growth and a profitable future for the sector. Alun Davies said: “This is a very exciting time to be involved in the Welsh food and drink industry – we are progressing well, but we must do more to achieve our ambitious targeting of increasing the turnover of the food and drink sector by 30 percent over the next seven years. “In producing this plan we have listened to feedback from the industry and have worked to provide the support it needs to thrive – whether that be better research, administration support, help identifying market opportunities, business advice or financial investment. “This plan is not a high level strategy, it is completely focused on delivery. For it to be a success, the plan must be delivered in partnership between the industry and Government – with the new Food and Drink Industry Board representing the voice of the industry and providing clear, strong leadership.” The Minister is inviting nominations from the industry for the position of Chair of the Board and will announce this appointment at the Royal Welsh Show in July. Other speakers at the launch event include Tara McCarthy, Food & Beverages Director of Bord Bia (Irish Food Board) and James Withers, Chief Executive of Scotland Food and Drink, who will talk about their experiences of implementing food and drink strategies in their own countries. The Minister added: “I cannot overstate the importance of Welsh food. It has an impact on almost every part of our daily lives from our economy, climate, health and our ability to learn – as well as being central to the culture of Wales. “Despite successes in recent years, so far we have only scratched the surface in terms of what we can achieve and I see this action plan opening up new opportunities for our food producers in terms of exports, skills and training and increasing the profile and reputation of Welsh food.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Campers from Cardiff sent packing

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE Road Policing Unit (Pembrokeshire RPU) have this morning, June 5, reported nine individuals for breaching coronavirus regulations.

The occupants of the three vehicles, all from the Cardiff area, had moved barriers that had been in place to close off the carpark to the public and set up camp for the night.

A Pembrokeshire RPU spokesperson said ‘Three vehicles from the Cardiff area located at Abereiddy this morning.

“The occupants of the vehicles, who’d travelled down overnight, had moved the barriers that had been used to close the car park. Having done so they then set up camp nearby.

“All nine persons present were reported for breaching coronavirus regulations. One was further dealt with by means of an out of court disposal for possession of cannabis.

“Rubbish cleaned up, car park closure reinstated, vehicles escorted out of Pembs.”

Continue Reading

News

Police urge visitors to ‘check the rules’

Published

on

POLICE in Powys are reminding people to check the rules before they travel, as tourists from the Midlands, London and Bristol continue to visit despite lockdown restrictions.

Last weekend more than 1,000 cars were turned around by police in the Brecon Beacons after visitors attempted to access the area around Ystradfellte known as ‘waterfall country’.

Many of those stopped claimed they thought the rules around travel were the same as in England, while others had deliberately flouted them.

Seventy-two per cent of people reported for breaches of Covid-19 restrictions in Powys since March 27 have been from outside the police force area.

“I would like to thank the communities of Powys for their cooperation in recent months in complying with requirements of the Covid 19 legislation and also reassure them we are still working hard with our partners to police the restrictions that remain in place across Wales,” said Superintendent Steve Davies.

“Our officers have worked hard to engage with the public at every opportunity throughout these unprecedented times by explaining what we are doing and why, and encouraging people to make the best choices to protect public health in Wales.

“But where people have clearly flouted the rules we have dealt with them appropriately and issued fines.”

He said officers will continue to conduct stop checks throughout Powys and across the force area this weekend.

In England, people can now travel an unlimited distance for exercise and to access so-called ‘beauty spots’.

But the Welsh Government has said people must remain local – ideally not travelling further than five miles from their home – for exercise or limited leisure pursuits, and this also applies to anyone travelling across the border.

Wales’ three national parks – which include popular sites such as Snowdon, the Elan valley and the Pembrokeshire coast – currently remain closed to the public, as do all National Trust car parks and properties.

The latest Welsh Government advice is available at gov.wales/coronavirus.

Continue Reading

News

Coastal car parks at beauty spots remain closed

Published

on

THE RECENT changes in regulations reinforce that movement is restricted to your local area.

This has been identified by the Welsh Government as an approximation of a five mile radius from your home.

Members of two separate households from the same local area (not travelling more than five miles) can now meet outdoors, as long as they maintain social distancing.

You should aim to meet another local household as close to your home as possible. Always take care to maintain social distancing and hand hygiene.

Pembrokeshire County Council car parks at attractions and beauty spots (including public toilets) currently remain closed so you should check before travelling.

They remain closed as a clear message that travel remains restricted, and associated tourism amenities remain closed.

A critical point for all to note is that lifeguards are not currently patrolling beaches and toilets and other facilities are not open.

Full details of the car parking facilities which remain open for the local community can be found on the Council’s website:
https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/emergency-planning/service-changes

Councillor Phil Baker, Cabinet Member for Infrastructure said: “The emphasis is on careful, structured unlocking, and not to put in danger any of the recovery measures that relate to public health and not to undo the safeguarding that lockdown has delivered.

“We will continue to review and monitor this carefully and take cautious, measured steps only to provide the benefits of the eased regulations without putting our residents at risk.”

Motorists are reminded not to contravene parking restrictions – such as yellow lines – where they exist as parking enforcement is still being undertaken.

As with other service areas, car parks will be reviewed in line with current advice.

Continue Reading
Community4 days ago

Remembering the collapse of the Cleddau Bridge fifty years on

TODAY, marks the 50th anniversary of the collapse of the Cleddau Bridge, then called the Milford Haven Bridge, a day...

News6 days ago

Hart defends a tweet police boss says is incorrect

WELSH Secretary Simon Hart has defended a tweet accused of being incorrect by a chief constable. The MP for South...

News6 days ago

Shielding people can meet others and exercise outdoors

CHANGES to advice for people shielding from coronavirus are being introduced from Monday 1 June, Minister for Health and Social...

News1 week ago

Pembroke Dock: Lorry driver fined for driving whilst disqualified

A LORRY driver has been fined after getting behind the wheel only three months after being disqualified from driving. Gary...

News1 week ago

Local MP’s concern at re-opening of Mc Donald’s Drive Thrus

A LOCAL MP has expressed his concern regarding the planned re-opening of the Mc Donald’s Drive Thru in Haverfordwest. Stephen...

News1 week ago

Amphetamine worth £22,500 found in car at Pembroke Dock

Two men who claimed to have driven from Cardiff to Pembroke Dock for a cleaning job were found to have...

News2 weeks ago

Message stays the same: Please do not visit Pembrokeshire this bank holiday weekend

With another Bank Holiday weekend on the horizon, visitors and second home owners are again being urged not to travel...

News2 weeks ago

Nigel Owens hosts virtual rugby quiz for Pembroke Panthers

PEMBROKE Panthers RFC enjoyed a rugby return during lockdown after winning a competition which saw international referee Nigel Owens host...

News2 weeks ago

How Wales created 19 new field hospitals in less than 8 weeks…

Across Wales the Welsh Government is supporting the NHS to create new field hospitals and rapidly increase bed capacity. Health...

News2 weeks ago

Pembrokeshire County Council leader’s coronavirus update, May 20th

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Wednesday, 20th May, as follows: ‘Once...

Popular This Week