Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Grants scandal probe delayed again

Published

on

More delay: Jacob Williams says officers' advice swayed Audit Chair

THIS WEEK’s Badger deals with delay in the Pembroke Dock grants scandal probe by the Council’s Audit Committee.
As we went to press, and by coincidence, Cllr Jacob Williams published a blog post at jacobwilliams.com dealing with the causes of the further delay. The difference between our columnist’s and Cllr Williams’ take on events is clear. However, they both highlight a worryingly familiar pattern of behaviour to those who have tried to scrutinise the Commercial Property Grants Scandal over the years.
His inside take on what is going on shows that – on the advice of the Monitoring Officer, Claire Jones, and the Council’s Head of Legal, Claire Incledon – Audit Committee Chair Cllr Tony Baron pulled the scheduled hearing without discussing it with his councillor-colleagues.
With his permission, we reproduce Cllr Williams’ blogpost here.
Cllr Jacob Williams writes:

GRANTS PROBE POSTPONED

SEVERAL people have been asking me what’s happening with Pembrokeshire County Council’s audit committee’s grants probe.
This is the one that’s supposed to be looking into internal antics and deficiencies relating to the well-publicised and long-running fraud allegations in PCC-administered property restoration grant schemes, commonly known as the ‘Pembroke Dock grants saga.’
At our last meeting, on 21st November, audit committee members agreed on some terms for this internal review.
We also set about the formal legal process of ‘requiring’ the attendance of certain relevant council officials for questioning, and ‘inviting’ those who have already retired or otherwise ceased to be employed by the authority.
Dates were proposed for our hearings – and confirmed for: 20th and 29th January, and 4th February.
But in an abrupt development just before Christmas, it was all put on hold, without prior consultation of members, by the audit committee’s chairman, Conservative councillor Tony Baron.
In his December 23rd email informing us of his decision, Cllr. Baron said he had been advised by Claires Incledon (legal chief) and Jones (monitoring officer) – known in County Hall as ‘the two Claires’ – that:
“…if the outcome of the Council appointed Working Group was that a prosecution was possible, it would be unwise to conduct interviews of involved individuals at the Audit Committee meeting planned for 20 January 2020 as it could jeopardise any future proceedings undertaken by PCC.”
The ‘working group’ is a reference to an entirely separate committee, effectively – of which I’m also a member – set up by council for a specific purpose.
It’s investigating the possibility of the council taking out its own prosecution about the grant fraud allegations which the Crown Prosecution Service famously dropped last summer they say due to, among other things, ‘insufficient evidence.’
Without revealing any specifics about this working group’s activity or progress to date, I can say that its remit is ongoing, and an external barrister is being consulted.
Cllr. Baron’s email says: “…I believe that we need to await the full and final opinion of Counsel before commencing the Audit Committee’s review. I have therefore decided that the Audit Committee meeting scheduled to start the review on 20 January should be postponed. I am keen that the review is undertaken as soon as possible as I suspect that lessons from this case have not been fully learnt. However, the advice is clear that no action should be taken that could affect the outcome of any possible proceedings.”
The audit committee’s ordinary meeting of February 4 is still going ahead. Its agenda has been published, where the only relative item – for which we only have the title, no written report – is: “11. Working Group on Grant Scheme Update and Next Steps.”
The working group’s formation and activity are wholly unconnected to the audit committee. It is a creature of full council, so the way it seems to have found its way as a titled agenda item before the audit committee is interesting.
Whilst I might agree that the audit committee should avoid jeopardising a council prosecution – if that’s a process councillors resolve to undertake – it’s worth noting that no decision on taking a prosecution is even close to being made.
And, that was exactly the state of play in November when the audit committee, during a meeting personally attended by the monitoring officer, set its now-cancelled set of internal review hearing dates.
In other words, the chairman’s unilateral decision to postpone the audit committee’s investigation – on the advice of senior council officers – is somewhat confusing, especially against a materially unchanged backdrop.
I say this as an audit committee member who has to accept the chair’s decision – I can only imagine how it looks to those outside!

News

Haverfordwest High School ski trip updated statement

Published

on

Haverfordwest High VC School is closed for a pre-arranged Inset day today (Wednesday, 26th February) for staff training.

The school is intending to re-open tomorrow (Thursday) in line with guidance from Public Health Wales.

The family of two pupils who went on a family trip to Northern Italy over half-term have also sought advice from Public Health Wales. Although the family visited the region of Veneto, they did not visit the quarantined town of Vo. The advice for them is the same as for other people who have visited Northern Italy – that they do not need to self-isolate unless they have symptoms of coughing, shortness of breath or fever. Neither of the pupils have presented any symptoms.

To view the statement released by the school yesterday (Tuesday), please visit https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/newsroom/haverfordwest-high-school-ski-trip-statement

* For the latest advice on coronavirus, please visit the Public Health Wales website at https://phw.nhs.wales/news/public-health-wales-statement-on-novel-coronavirus-outbreak-in-china/

Continue Reading

News

Pembroke child was kept in almost ‘unimaginable filth and deprivation’

Published

on

WHEN Police entered a Pembroke house to investigate an allegation a child was being kept in unsanitary, they found a scene of almost unimaginable filth and deprivation.
On Tuesday (Feb 25), Magistrates in Haverfordwest heard Police officers attended the property earlier this year. They were barely able to open its door to squeeze inside the filthy dwelling.
Officers found the rotting corpse of a dog on the kitchen floor, the toilet bowl overflowing with excrement, and water with a film of scum in the sink.
No food was found in the fridge apart from a single container of out-of-date coleslaw.
The woman’s bedroom was littered with empty boxes of wine.
When officers examined the child’s bedroom, they found the child grubby and unkempt. The child hadn’t been washed for a long time. Its only food appeared to be rice scattered on its bed.
The child is now in foster care.
Given the seriousness of the case, the Prosecution invited the Bench to send the case to Swansea Crown Court.
Neither the child nor its mother can be named for legal reasons.
Mr David Elvey, defending, did not object to the Crown’s application and made no submissions on his client’s behalf.
Magistrates committed the case to Swansea Crown Court for a hearing on March 27.
The Bench extended the woman’s unconditional bail to the Crown Court date.

Continue Reading

News

Last Pembroke bank to close HSBC confirms

Published

on

THE LAST bank branch in Pembroke is due to close in the summer, HSBC has confirmed this week. Pembroke is one of 27 branches HSBC is set to close by the end of this year, with the Pembroke branch closing on July 31.

The bank has said that jobs may be at risk due to the closure.

HSBC was the last bank in Pembroke. Barclays and Santander closed last year.

Continue Reading
News15 hours ago

Haverfordwest High School ski trip updated statement

Haverfordwest High VC School is closed for a pre-arranged Inset day today (Wednesday, 26th February) for staff training. The school...

Community16 hours ago

Elizabeth Anne Salon and Prendergast Kids Club team up to raise vital funds for Local Charity

Elizabeth Anne Beauty Salon and Prendergast Kids Club recently join forces to raise vital funds for local Charity. Stephanie Tee...

News17 hours ago

Pembroke child was kept in almost ‘unimaginable filth and deprivation’

WHEN Police entered a Pembroke house to investigate an allegation a child was being kept in unsanitary, they found a...

News19 hours ago

Last Pembroke bank to close HSBC confirms

THE LAST bank branch in Pembroke is due to close in the summer, HSBC has confirmed this week. Pembroke is...

Community2 days ago

Lottery win for local neighbours

Five people in Manorbier are celebrating today after winning £1,000 each thanks to their lucky postcode. The Wheelers Way neighbours...

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest: Pupils collected by parents after feeling unwell in school following Italy ski trip

THREE PUPILS from Haverfordwest High School have been collected by parents after feeling unwell today (Feb 25). It is understood...

News2 days ago

Police step up patrols at historic sites following damage

POLICE patrols will be carried out at two historically important sites following reports of graffiti and criminal damage. Soil has...

Business3 days ago

Young Tenby-based currency trader making £8k a day

BBC ONE Wales show ‘Young, Welsh and Pretty Minted’ will feature Pembrokeshire-based currency trader Ashley Richards this week. The successful...

News3 days ago

Two men appear in court over theft offences in Pembrokeshire

TWO men have appeared in court in connection with theft offences in Pembrokeshire Police received a number of calls from...

News4 days ago

Man arrested over illegal body piercings on teenage girls

A 69-YEAR-OLD man from Haverfordwest has been arrested by police, under suspicion of illegally carrying out body piercings on teenage...

Popular This Week