Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Ex-Methodist minister admits child porn offences

Published

on

VicarshameA 51-YEAR-OLD former Methodist minister, who now lives in Crymych, appeared at North West Wiltshire Magistrates Court last week, where he pleaded guilty to five charges of making indecent images of children on November 28, 2011, and one charge of possessing them between November 2011 and October 2012.
The Rev Dale Anthony Cotton has admitted looking at child porn on the internet and confessed it was the result of a pornography addiction spanning back 10 years.
Cotton, who was employed by Chippenham Methodist Circuit, is to be put on the sex offenders’ register after being turned into police by a fellow minister at the church.
Police found more than 600 child abuse images on computers at the clergyman’s home in Chippenham at the end of October 2012.
Pauline Lambert, prosecuting, said: “In October 2012 Rev Jones contacted the police and said one of his ministers at the Methodist Church, that is Rev Dale Cotton, had informed him he had been accessing child pornography. Police officers seized two computers from Cotton’s home address.
“He said he had been addicted for the last ten years and had been involved in internet chat rooms.”
She said the two laptops contained a total of 611 child abuse images, of which 90 were able to be readily viewed again. The vast majority of these were level one, the lowest level of explicitness.
The court heard Cotton had visited websites synonymous with child abuse, including site addresses referencing school angels, nude virgins and teeny lovers.
Mark Glendenning, defending, said: “He has an addiction, and that has spilt out of curiosity over onto chat rooms. He accepts he has a problem.”
He told magistrates most of the images were inaccessible, and there was no suggestion of any having been distributed anywhere else.
Chair of the bench, Lady Maria Pitt, said a pre-sentence report should include all options, including custody.
Cotton will be sentenced by magistrates in Chippenham on October 31 after pre-sentence reports have been prepared.
Bail conditions forbid him from having contact with children under 16 without supervision, using a computer or other device to access the internet.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Pembroke: Leave teenage girls alone, sex offender told

Published

on

A SEX OFFENDER from Ashdale Lane, Pembroke has been jailed for repeatedly ignoring court orders which were put in place to protect young girls.
Gareth Thomas James Flynn, aged 41, frightened a 14-year-old girl who refused to get off a bus in case he managed to find out where she lived.
41-year-old Gareth Thomas James Flynn scared a 14-year-old girl because she refused to get of a bus, frightened he would learn her address.
He admitted breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and was jailed today for a year.
Sitting at Swansea Crown Court, Judge Geraint Walters berated the defendant.  His Honour said that Flynn had shown a complete disregard for the original SHPO.
The judge said: “Leave teenage girls alone. They are scared of you”
He told Flynn he would be on licence for 12 months after his release from prison, and he reminded him that the SHPO remained in place.

Continue Reading

News

Narberth: ‘My mum’s camper was stolen and found burned out down the road’

Published

on

A CAMPER VAN stolen on Thursday night in Narberth was found burned a short distance from where it was parked, the owner’s son has said.

Zachary Bunce posted an appeal on Facebook on Friday morning saying: “Can every single one of my friends please share this my mother’s Ford transit campervan was stolen last night in the Narberth area can people please be on the lookout for this van as my mother is completely heartbroken.”

But three hours later he updated the post to say: “Thank you everyone who shared, sadly my mums van was driven 1.3 miles down the road and driven into a ditch and burnt it out.

Mr Bunce has said on that the incident has been captured on CCTV, and took place at 2.10am in the morning (Jan 24).
Anyone with any information should contact the police on 101.

Continue Reading

News

Hook: Police and school confirm death of boy, 13

Published

on

POLICE are investigating the sudden death of a 13-year-old boy from Hook on Wednesday (Jan 22)

A police spokesman told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 13-year-old boy, from the Hook area of Pembrokeshire.

“The death is not being treated as suspicious at this time. Next of kin have been advised and are being supported.”

A letter was sent out to parents and carers by Haverfordwest High VC School headteacher Jane Harries following the death. The letter reads: “It is with great sadness that I have to inform you about the sudden death of a year nine pupil at our school.

“The children in Year nine were told this morning by myself and other pupils were told by their teachers during their lesson this afternoon. The full detail surrounding the death are not known at this stage – but children have been reassured that this is something that does not happen very often. Your child may or may not want to talk bout it, but it is likely that he/she will need your special care, attention and reassurance at this difficult time.

“We are deeply affected by the death, but we are trying, for the children’s sake, to keep the school as normal as possible over the coming days, whilst allowing the children opportunities to talk about the pupil if they wish to. Trained support staff and counsellors are helping to support us through this difficult time. If you feel that your child needs extra support, please let us know.

“Our thoughts are with the pupil’s family at this difficult time, and the whole school community sends them our sincerest sympathy and support. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s achievement leader, or Miss Thomas, pastoral support manager. Paul Lucas, chairman of the governing body at Haverfordwest High VC School, said: “The governors are shocked at the tragic loss of this young student. The family are in our thoughts at this very sad time.”

Continue Reading
News2 hours ago

Narberth: ‘My mum’s camper was stolen and found burned out down the road’

A CAMPER VAN stolen on Thursday night in Narberth was found burned a short distance from where it was parked,...

Community6 hours ago

Dairy challenges Pembrokeshire kids to win £1,000 for their school

ECO-FRIENDLY kids in Pembrokeshire are being urged to get creative with recycling and win their school £1,000. The call comes...

News7 hours ago

Hook: Police and school confirm death of boy, 13

POLICE are investigating the sudden death of a 13-year-old boy from Hook on Wednesday (Jan 22) A police spokesman told...

News1 day ago

No action at Cardiff Airport over virus

THERE were no checks or screening at Cardiff airport this morning (Jan 23) as international concern continues to grow about...

Education3 days ago

No opt-out for learning about religion, relationships and sexuality

PARENTS will not be able to prevent their children from learning about religion, relationships and sexuality in the new curriculum....

Business3 days ago

Air Link Wales now flying from Haverfordwest

AVIATION company Flitestar Private Air have launched their new Air Link Wales Programme connecting Haverfordwest, Caernarfon and Cardiff with other...

News3 days ago

Pizza chain serves up new jobs

THIRTY new jobs have been created with the opening of a national pizza chain in Haverfordwest. Domino’s opened its new...

News3 days ago

Chopper crew helps to rescue surfer at Freshwater West

A WINDSURFER who got into difficulty was rescued from Freshwater West by rescue services on Sunday (Jan 19). HM Coastguard...

News4 days ago

Luke Evans to lead new ITV drama ‘The Pembrokeshire Murders’

MURDER MYSTERY and The Alienist star Luke Evans is to lead an ITV crime drama focused on west Wales. The...

Community4 days ago

Marisa celebrates in style with Chatty Man Alan Carr

A Slimming World Consultant from Whitland celebrated their group’s success by meeting chat show host and comedian, Alan Carr. Alan,...

Popular This Week