Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Council’s commitment to distance learning

Published

on

Pembrokeshire County Council’s Children and Schools Directorate is
committed to supporting learners, parents and carers with distance
learning.

That’s the message from Cllr Guy Woodham, Cabinet Member for
Education & Lifelong Learning and Acting Director for Children and
Schools, Steven Richards-Downes.

A range of learning resources have been made available to learners
via digital platforms while paper packs are being prepared for use
where required.

Online learning activities created by schools across Pembrokeshire
are available via www.dysguarlein.com

The website was launched last month to support parents juggling
working with online learning.

The high quality resources are created by local teachers with Council
support and are accessible from any device, including smart phones.
Each week a new set of resources is dropped onto the website to
help families with online learning.

The resources are proving popular with parents and children alike
with pupils enjoying lessons ranging from storyboard animation to
fossil finding.

Cllr Woodham said: “We are incredibly grateful to the teachers
that are sharing their activities and suggestions on the platform.
“Our admiration and thanks to all parents and children keeping it
together during these challenging times.

“We hope you enjoy dysguarlein.com.”

Schools are also creating bespoke online resources for learners in
their schools using a range of tools such as Microsoft and Google.
These will be in ways that learners are familiar with in their usual
school setting.

Parents can access support about online learning via hwb at
https://hwb.gov.wales/distance-learning/distance-learning-tools-
through-hwb/parents-and-carers/”

In addition, schools are preparing paper based packs which they will
make available to families who require them through collection,
following social distancing measures, or other means in certain
circumstances.

Mr Richards-Downes said: “Schools are also showcasing examples of
online learning on a regular basis via social media.

“Please send examples of your work to the Twitter pages
@schoolspembs @pembrokeshire.”

Mr Richards-Downes added: “We have a wide range of services
providing online learning and opportunities these can be accessed
again via our social media platforms for the music service, the youth
service and Sport Pembrokeshire using their social media accounts.
https://www.facebook.com/PembsMusicService/ | @MusicPembs
https://www.facebook.com/PembrokeshireYouthOutreachTeam/ |
@PembsYouthZone
https://www.facebook.com/SportPembrokeshire/ | @Sportpembs

Continue Reading

News

Two charged in connection with Haverfordwest cannabis grow

Published

on

TWO suspects have been charged in connection with an investigation into drugs being brought to Kent from Wales.
Kent Police officers on patrol during the morning of Monday 18 January 2021, stopped a black Jaguar X Type car in Hythe.
They recovered cannabis and a substance believed to be cocaine as well as around £12,000 in cash.
Assisted by officers from Dyfed-Powys Police, a warrant was later carried out at a property in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, where a cannabis cultivation was found.
Nicholas Moulder, 48, and 19-year-old Thomas Moulder, both of Kensington Gardens in Haverfordwest were charged with being concerned in the production of, supplying and possessing cannabis.
Nicholas Moulder was also charged with possession of cocaine, and driving while unfit through drugs.
Both are due to appear at Folkestone Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday 19 January.
(Picture: Stock image)
Continue Reading

News

Storm Christoph set to batter Wales says Met Office [Video]

Published

on

STORM Christoph will cause heavy rain and flooding in Wales on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, the Met Office has said.

Forecasters are warning that there could be up to 200mm in some parts of north Wales and say that the heaviest and “most persistent” rain will be in Wales.

The warning states: “Several days of persistent, and occasionally heavy, rain are expected to affect the region as Storm Christoph affects the UK.

The heaviest and most persistent rain is likely to be across Wales and the high ground of northern England.

“By early Thursday, 30-60 mm of rain is expected to have fallen widely across the warning area, with 100-150 mm over the high ground of Wales and northern England.

“Up to 200 mm is possible across parts of north Wales and northwest England.

“Melting snow across higher parts of the Pennines may exacerbate the potential for flooding. Strong winds will also accompany the rainfall and may add to travelling difficulties across areas higher and more exposed routes.”

The warning is in place from midnight on Tuesday until noon on Thursday (January 21).

Welsh forecaster Derek Brockway says: “Large rainfall totals on high ground in south and northwest Wales.

Continue Reading

News

Enabling works start at regeneration site in Pembroke

Published

on

WORK has started on the highly anticipated South Quay regeneration project in Pembroke.

Ambitious plans by Pembrokeshire County Council will see the site next to Pembroke Castle developed into a Visitor Centre, celebrating the town’s history and heritage and incorporating a new Library and Café.

The scheme will also include major enhancements to the public realm and landscaping improvements and public access to the building’s gardens at the rear.

Cllr Paul Miller, Cabinet Member with Responsibility for Economic Development, welcomed work starting on site.

“I’m delighted to see work getting underway. These buildings, right in the heart of Pembroke, have been left to rot for more than a decade by previous Council administrations but thankfully no longer. I am committed to Pembroke and am personally determined to help the town see a brighter future.

“Our investment in South Quay is just the first and most visible part of our commitment to the future of Pembroke and I’m looking forward to engaging with the community on the next steps over the coming months.”

The enabling works, undertaken by contractors Lloyd and Gravell are to ready the site for the development contract. They include the clearing and preparation of the site ready for the stabilisation of derelict buildings in Castle Terrace.

The South Quay project has secured £901,590 of Welsh Government Transforming Towns funding to support delivery of the first stage enabling works.

Deputy Minister for Housing and Local Government Hannah Blythyn said: “The regeneration of South Quay is a fantastic example of how support though our Transforming Towns programme can be used to breathe new life into an old building to create a centre that will become as asset to the local community and celebrate the town’s history.  I look forward to seeing how this work progresses.”

Cllr Aaron Carey, County Councillor for Pembroke St Mary South, said it was good to see progress on site.

“No amount of plans or drawings can prepare you for the huge task at hand when the project is seen up close,” he said.

“We as a community are putting our generation’s mark on a thousand year old town and it’s really exciting to see the work being started on site after so many years as an eyesore in the castle’s shadow.”

(Pictured are Cllr Paul Miller and Cllr Aaron Carey at South Quay in Pembroke, where work has started on a key regeneration project.)

 

Continue Reading
News18 mins ago

Two charged in connection with Haverfordwest cannabis grow

TWO suspects have been charged in connection with an investigation into drugs being brought to Kent from Wales. Kent Police officers on...

News17 hours ago

Storm Christoph set to batter Wales says Met Office [Video]

STORM Christoph will cause heavy rain and flooding in Wales on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, the Met Office has said....

News22 hours ago

Enabling works start at regeneration site in Pembroke

WORK has started on the highly anticipated South Quay regeneration project in Pembroke. Ambitious plans by Pembrokeshire County Council will...

News23 hours ago

Stephen Crabb MP to defy whips on Universal Credit uplift

PRESELI MP Stephen Crabb will defy the Conservative whip for the first time today. The former Work and Pensions Secretary...

News23 hours ago

The Llangolman Murders: Cooper and a string of coincidences

IT’S December in Pembrokeshire – the run up to Christmas – and the bodies of two wealthy siblings are found...

News1 day ago

Conservatives attack Mark Drakeford for saying delivering vaccine ‘a marathon, not a sprint’

THE CONSERVATIVES’ Shadow Health Minister, Andrew RT Davies, fiercely criticised Mark Drakeford after the First Minister’s appearance on Radio Four’s...

News4 days ago

Police investigating asylum seeker protests for possible breach of coronavirus rules

DYFED-POWYS POLICE says it is investigating the recent protests by service users at the Asylum Accommodation Centre, Penally. The initial...

News4 days ago

Flo Evans: Was Cooper responsible?

‘THE PEMBROKESHIRE MURDERS’ has brought the crimes of local man, John Cooper, back to the forefront of our minds. A...

News4 days ago

Puppies and ‘large quantity’ of alcohol stolen from Bramble Hall Farm

DYFED POWYS POLICE is investigating the theft of four puppies and a large quantity of alcohol from Bramble Hall Farm,...

News4 days ago

Business grants: Find answers to frequently asked questions

A SERIES of frequently asked questions (FAQs) relating to Covid-19 business grants has been put together by Pembrokeshire County Council....

Popular This Week