Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Kraus resigns from town council following Facebook monkey post controversy

Published

on

THE PEMBROKE DOCK Councillor who caused controversy after a posting a photo that appeared to compare black people to monkeys, has resigned.

Pembroke Dock Town Council confirmed that Mr Peter Kraus has resigned today in a post shared on their website.

Kraus is under investigation by Police regarding the alleged ‘hate crime’.

Pembroke Dock Town Councillor Peter Kraus was referred to the Police following a post on his Facebook page which appeared to liken Black Lives Matters protestors to a pack of monkeys attacking a motor vehicle.

Following an outcry over the post, which was reported in the national media, Cllr Kraus earlier denied any attention to offend with his post.

After appearing to claim the post was the work of unidentified hackers, Cllr Kraus later said that the post was “not meant as an insult to black people”.

He said: “The point I was making was that we are worse than animals.
“It is bad enough with this pandemic without all these crazy things that are going on everywhere.
“We are all humans, I have lots of black friends in London and all over the world who I respect, I am a person who loves peace.
“I absolutely hate all this violence that is going on.”

Cllr Kraus is a prominent figure in Pembroke Dock and a conspicuous promoter of local charities.

Pembroke Dock Town Council says it is investigating Cllr Kraus’ post after receiving complaints about it.

A spokesperson for the Town Council said it did not condone posts like Cllr Kraus’ and it ‘take actions like this very seriously’.

Continue Reading

News

Cabinet to decide on £165,000 of grants

Published

on

THE PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Cabinet will meet next week (Monday, Nov 2) to decide on grants totalling almost £165,000.

The Cabinet will consider nine recommendations for approval for grants under the Second Home Council Tax – Community Element Enhancing Pembrokeshire Grant scheme.

The scheme uses funds from raised from a Council Tax premium on Second Homes and empty properties in the county.

Among the projects applying for support is Age Cymru Dyfed, which wants to promote and provide outreach services from Haverfordwest throughout Pembrokeshire.

The Pembroke Dock Heritage Centre is applying for money to help the centre gain nationally recognised museum accreditation.

And a project by Resilience Network Pembrokeshire seeks to champion and develop allotments, encouraging new sites and community growing land.

The Cabinet meets remotely at 10am on Monday, Nov 2 and the meeting will be webcast live.

Continue Reading

News

Crabb defies government over free school meals

Published

on

STEPHEN CRABB, MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire, says his abstention in a vote on extending free school meals during school holidays to English students eligible for them was a protest against the UK Government.

Although the Welsh Government decided to retian provision for children who qualify for free school meals to cover half terms until Easter 2021, Pembrokeshire’s two MPs have endured a huge social media backlash for their voting record on a similar scheme for England.

Simon Hart MP has been ‘named and shamed’ by The Daily Mirror for voting with his Government to remove the free school meals the holiday for 1.4 million of the most vulnerable children in England.

Stephen Crabb MP, abstained from voting on the bill – a decision he says was done in protest to let his government know he did not agree with their views.

Mr Crabb has spoken previously of his background. He came from a single parent family, was raised in a council house and receivws free school meals.

Many social media users took Crabb’s decision not to vote as a decision that was just as bad as voting with the government with some branding him a hypocrite.

Taking to his Facebook page, Crabb defended his decision.

He told his constituents: “I took a decision to abstain on the vote, which is a well-recognised form of protest. I have made it very clear to the Government that I do not agree with them on this issue.”

Even though Crabb abstained from voting, he told his followers that the free school meal provision wasn’t the way to tackle the problem of child poverty.

He added: “I am supportive of the holiday provision of free school meals but I think we also need to be looking at solutions that go beyond just vouchers. The main poverty charities I speak to have different views about whether vouchers are effective or not.
“I did not like the nature of the Labour Party’s debate in the Commons last Wednesday and I think some of the abuse being thrown around is appalling. The vote last week would have had no material impact on provision even if it had passed.”

Mr Crabb added: “More widely, whilst the issue of free school meals is important, ultimately we should be aiming to lift people out of poverty so that they no longer need this support. I have spent much of the last few months working hard on the campaign to keep the temporary £20 uplift to Universal Credit.
“The UK Government introduced a much welcome per-week increase in UC at the start of the crisis but this measure will expire in April, unless the Government commits to an extension.”

Mr Crabb assured his Pembrokeshire constituents he will continue to try and tackle child poverty.

He added: “I have spent a large proportion of my time in Westminster over the last few months campaigning on the issues of child poverty and pushing for more support for families on low incomes. I will continue to make this a priority.”

Continue Reading

News

Webpage details penally camp information

Published

on

A WEBPAGE has been set up to keep residents of Penally and the surrounding areas up to date with key information relating to the housing of asylum seekers at the MoD base in the village.

The web page here includes a list of frequently asked questions relating to the site.

Residents are urged to check the page for updates.

People will also be able to find links to virtual community meetings held on the issue, Pembrokeshire County Council press releases regarding the camp and a contact email address for further information.

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader Cllr David Simpson said: “It is important for residents to be able to find information about the camp easily and to know that information is accurate, collated by the Council, Dyfed-Powys Police and the Home Office.

“Hopefully the FAQs will answer some of the questions that are being asked and we will have the ability to update and add further information to the page as required.”

Continue Reading
News2 hours ago

Webpage details penally camp information

A WEBPAGE has been set up to keep residents of Penally and the surrounding areas up to date with key...

News2 hours ago

Welsh Health Minister defends retail restrictions

THE WELSH Health Minister, Vaughan Gething, faced stiff today (Monday, Oct 26) questioning over retail restrictions during the current ‘firebreak...

News1 day ago

Second fire-break lockdown is likely early next year says Deputy Economy Minister

A SECOND fire-break lockdown is likely in Wales in early January or February, a Welsh Government minister has warned. Deputy...

News1 day ago

Driver mounted pavements and hit parked vehicles after drinking two bottles of wine

A MAN who got behind the wheel of his car after drinking two bottles of wine, mounted pavements and crashed...

News3 days ago

Man arrested at marina, police dog finds ‘drugs’ next day

A MAN was arrested at Milford Haven Marina following an alleged incident involving domestic assault. Police officers were seen in...

News4 days ago

‘Firebreak’ lockdown comes at right time as Pembs covid cases continue to rise

TOMORROWS’s ‘firebreak’ lockdown is coming at an extremely important time for Pembrokeshire as numbers of positive coronavirus cases rise in...

News5 days ago

Two banned from county after ‘disturbance’ at Penally Asylum Centre

TWO asylum seekers have been banned from entering Pembrokeshire while investigations take place into a disturbance at a military training...

News6 days ago

Pembrokeshire lockdown ‘disproportionate’ as cases locally were below trigger-point

PEMBROKESHIRE was plunged into the Welsh Government’s ‘fire-break’ lockdown even though the County does not meet the criteria for a...

News2 weeks ago

Sageston: Sex offender who was chased from street by protestors jailed

A SEX offender who was removed from his home to get him away from a protest over his release, breached...

News2 weeks ago

Magistrates issue thousands of pounds worth of fines for lockdown breaches

A MAN who travelled from Swansea to Pembrokeshire to buy five sacks of potatoes has been fined for breaching Covid...

Popular This Week