Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Date set for 1950s women’s pension Court of Appeal hearing

Published

on

A HEARING in the Court of Appeal in July will have far-reaching implications for the 200,000 women in Wales born in the 1950s.

The hearing, listed for July 21, is crucial for the over 10,000 women in Pembrokeshire & Carmarthen West, who have been denied up to six years of the State Pensions they paid into throughout their working lives. The Pension Acts of 1995 and 2011 gave very little notice of this major change to their financial positions after the age of 60.

In June last year the case was heard for the first time in the High Court, brought by the Back To 60 Campaign and led by Michael Mansfield QC. The High Court announced in October that the women’s case of sex and age discrimination had been rejected “on all grounds”. A fresh hearing will now take place in the Court of Appeal.

“This is a more senior court,” said a spokesperson from Pembrokeshire Women Against State Pension Injustice (WASPI).

“The case will be streamed live from the Court allowing millions of women & their supporters to follow it via the WASPI campaign 2018 Facebook page”.

The justices have committed to looking at all the legal grounds again. WASPI groups all over the UK, including here in Pembrokeshire have contributed to the costs of bringing the case.

We are very hopeful that this time the judgement will go in our favour, especially as Pembrokeshire WASPI have had no support from both of our local MPs, who do not support their constituents in this fight for justice for all 1950s women”,

Senedd Member Elin Jones told The Herald: “I really hope that this time 1950s women will get the justice they deserve,” she said. “They have been treated very unfairly. They paid into the National Insurance fund for decades, only to be told at the last minute that they would have to wait several more years for the pensions they were relying on from age 60.”

Continue Reading

News

Milford Mercury to cease publication on August 20

Published

on

NEWSQUEST, the publishers of the Western Telegraph and Milford Mercury has moved to reassure their readers after deciding to close the Milford Mercury down.

The edition of August 20, 2020 will be the last date that that newspaper will be printed, the company has confirmed.

In a letter to newsagents dated August 6, Group Editor Fiona Phillips said: “Covid-19 has affected many businesses across Wales, particularly news brands that operate in similar local markets. The Milford Mercury is one of those news brands affected by the loss of casual sales  as well as by the turn-down in the advertising market.”

Fiona Phillips said that the Mercury website would continue to operate.

She added: “I want to re-assure Milford of our continued support through the Western Telegraph.”

Cllr Viv Stoddart said: “As the founding editor of the Milford Mercury it is sad news to  hear of the closure of the print  copy of the weekly newspaper.

“The Milford Mercury was  launched at the height of the 1992 recession.
“Despite the downturn in the economy, as  family team, Tessa (marketing) Helen (chief sub) Mike (sport) ably assisted by Claire Beavan, and the
wonderful support of our advertisers, volunteer contributors, and readers, the Merc  proved to be a success with the community.
“The reason for hitting the news stands with a new weekly was that Pembrokeshire’s largest town was worthy of, and deserved its own voice.
“From our  small, but beautiful beginnings, the Merc went from strength to strength.
“Its unique selling point was  bold investigative journalism, excellent local news coverage,  engaging readers in fun items such as Page Five Fellas, Where are they now photos, the Merc Abroad, sport coverage,  and Old Grumpy’s popular column holding the elite establishment to account.
“As circulation increased we were able to recruit more wonderful staff to create a very happy team.
“I remember hard work by everyone to make the independent weekly a success; the stress of meeting deadlines was leavened by office banter, goodwill, and laughter, resulting in very happy Merc memories.”

MORE TO FOLLOW ON THIS DEVELOPING STORY

Latest Milford Mercury logo

 

Continue Reading

News

Johnston: Police appeal for witnesses

Published

on

POLICE have again appealed for witnesses after a collision in Johnston, near Haverfordwest, on Wednesday (August 5).

A boy on a scooter sustained minor injuries during the collision, which took place at around 4.20pm. A red 4×4 is believed to have been involved also.

Anyone who was in the area of the St Peters Road pelican crossing, or nearby Langford road, and either witnessed the collision or who has CCTV that covers this area is asked to get in touch.

You can telephone 101, visit bit.ly/DPPReportOnline, or email contactcentre@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired you can text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Dyfed-Powys Police Ref DP-20200805-249

Continue Reading

News

Police investigate ‘Chinese government vehicle’ spotted near Puma Oil Terminal

Published

on

POLICE have confirmed that they are conducting “the appropriate enquiries” after a suspicious vehicle was spotted in the vicinity of Puma Oil Terminal on Saturday afternoon (Aug 8).

Following a tip off a Herald reporter was dispatched to the area, and saw a black Volvo SUV with three IC5 (Korean, Japanese or Chinese) looking males inside the vehicle. The vehicle had diplomatic number plates identifying that it belonged to the Chinese government.

However, a DVLA check suggested that the plates were registered to a BMW and not the Volvo they were displayed upon.

South Hook LNG security was notified as a precaution.

A police spokesman said: “Members of the public are advised to contact the police to report any suspicious activity or incidents.”

Both the UK and US governments are currently on alert following incidents of spying relating to key infrastructure, computer systems and state secrets by the Chinese authorities.

[The image used in this report is a computer generated artist’s impression.]

Continue Reading
News2 hours ago

Milford Mercury to cease publication on August 20

NEWSQUEST, the publishers of the Western Telegraph and Milford Mercury has moved to reassure their readers after deciding to close...

News2 days ago

Police investigate ‘Chinese government vehicle’ spotted near Puma Oil Terminal

POLICE have confirmed that they are conducting “the appropriate enquiries” after a suspicious vehicle was spotted in the vicinity of...

News3 days ago

Tenby: Police investigate overnight burglaries and theft

POLICE are investigating two burglaries and a theft which occurred sometime overnight 9th/10th August in Tenby. At approximately 2am this...

News4 days ago

Sageston: Police remove convicted sex offender as Welsh Warriors protest

POLICE have removed a convicted sex offender from a sleepy Sageston street during a protest organised by the Welsh Warriors...

News6 days ago

Monkton man with ‘no regard for the law’ jailed for two attempted robberies

A MAN who threatened to stab a vulnerable victim just a day after trying to commit a robbery against a...

News6 days ago

Surge in reports of personal watercraft incidents on the South Pembrokeshire Coast

THE NATIONAL PARK is appealing for riders of personal watercraft to consider the impact of their activities on other visitors...

News7 days ago

Police ask communities to stay alert to prevent raves this weekend

Police are asking communities to stay alert to prevent raves this weekend. As we head into the weekend, police are...

News1 week ago

Haverfordwest: Appeal for information following incident at Morrisons

POLICE are investigating a shoplifting and assault allegation which occurred at approximately 3.20pm on Saturday (Aug 1) at Morrisons, Haverfordwest....

News1 week ago

Dowson hits out as complaints dismissed

CONTROVERSIAL Pembroke Dock County Councillor Paul Dowson has hit out at his critics after Wales’ Public Services Ombudsman rejected complaints...

News1 week ago

Haverfordwest: Tributes from family for Lola James, 2

DAN THOMAS, the father of two-year-old Lola James from Haverfordwest, who sadly died in hospital on July 21, has paid...

Popular This Week