Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Education

Pembrokeshire County Council appoints new Director of Education

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has appointed a new Director of Education.

Steven Richards-Downes, a former Cardiff headteacher, who has been the Authority’s Acting Director for Children and Schools since the February 1.

He succeeds Kate Evan-Hughes who left the Council earlier this year to take up a post in England.

Mr Richards-Downes came to Pembrokeshire in May 2017 as Deputy Chief Education Officer from the Central South Consortium – a school improvement service based in South Wales – where he was Strategic Lead Advisor.

He began his career in education as a teacher with the former Mid-Glamorgan local authority.

Mr Richards-Downes was congratulated on his appointment by Guy Woodham, the Council’s Cabinet Member for Education and Lifelong Learning.

Councillor Woodham said: “Following a rigorous recruitment process, Mr Richards-Downes impressed not only myself and other Councillor colleagues but also the headteacher and local authority senior officer representatives and – most important of all – a young persons’ panel, that he is the right person for this new role of Director of Education.

“I look forward to working collaboratively with Steven and the whole Pembrokeshire education community (including learners and their families) over the coming months as we develop further our aspirational vision for the efficient and effective delivery of education across the whole of Pembrokeshire.

“This will be undertaken with a clear focus on improved learner outcomes delivering the recommendations for improvement in the Authority’s recent Estyn inspection report and insuring that every learner achieves more than they thought possible.”

Mr Richards-Downes takes up his appointment with immediate effect

Continue Reading

Education

Education Minister to quit Senedd in May

Published

on

KIRSTY WILLIAMS, Wales’ Education Minister will not stand in next year’s Senedd elections.

Ms Williams, who holds the constituency seat for Brecon and Radnorshire was first elected to the then-Welsh Assembly in 1999.

“After much reflection, I have decided not to stand as a candidate in the next election,” she said.

Kirsty Williams is highly-regarded and seen as being perhaps the ablest of the current Welsh Cabinet.

Her departure from the Senedd in May could spark a Cabinet reshuffle by Mark Drakeford.

Mrs Williams said: “There is of course sadness in making this decision, but also a strong sense of pride. Above all else, I’d like to thank the people of Brecon and Radnorshire for their support over the last two decades.”

Writing to her local constituency party, Kirsty Williams said: “Next May it will have been 22 years since I was first elected to represent the people of Brecon and Radnorshire.

“The local party, and then the constituency, placed its trust in me – a young, female, Welsh Liberal Democrat, new to elected politics and for our new parliament. It remains the proudest day of my political career.

“And for us to keep winning and keep achieving for our community, has been the honour of my life.

“To be the parliamentarian for Brecon and Radnorshire and in Powys is not to own the seat or constituency, it is to be a steward of it – following in the footsteps of Welsh Liberal giants and hopefully being able to pass on and support another generation.

“I know that my pride in being the first female leader of a Welsh political party was shared locally and nationally, and I hope it was a small inspiration to others. Working with my party colleagues in the Senedd, we worked diligently to hold the Government to account.

“Despite being an opposition party, we turned campaigns into policies that changed lives across the country.
“This included the introduction of the Nurse Staffing Levels Act and the Pupil Development Grant which continues to support our most disadvantaged pupils.”

Kirsty Williams said it had been “an immense honour to serve my country as Education Minister”.

“Every day I have been inspired and uplifted by the shared commitment across the country to be ambitious for all our learners,” she said.

“‘Our national mission’ has been the biggest programme of education reform since the Second World War. It has been a nation-wide collective endeavour.

“The support I’ve received from civil servants, private office, and Ministerial colleagues has been invaluable and unstinting.

“Over the last four years, we have fought to raise standards for all children, to reduce the attainment gap and to get some pride and confidence back into Welsh education. Working together,
our improved performance in national and international assessments, radical student support changes and investment in teachers, is proof that education is truly Wales’s national mission. Being
the family of a politician is never easy. I must thank my husband and three wonderful daughters for the patience, and at times resilience, that they have shown over these years.

“My late parents started the interest in politics and current affairs with lively debate around the kitchen table, and I know they would be proud of how their granddaughters are already strong independent women with their own opinions!

“It is with them in mind that, after a great deal of thought and reflection, I have decided not to stand as a candidate at the next Senedd election. The next candidate, and the Welsh Liberal Democrats, will have my abiding support and I will be out there campaigning as ever.

“There is, of course, sadness in making this decision, but also with a sense of achievement and pride. Above all else, I would like to thank the people of Brecon and Radnorshire for their support over the last two decades. Diolch o Galon. I may be biased, but I am in no doubt that our constituency is truly the greatest anyone could have the privilege of representing.”

Continue Reading

Education

Ysgol Harri Tudur issues update following confirmed coronavirus case

Published

on

FOLLOWING the discovery of a positive case of Covid-19 at Ysgol Harri Tudur / Henry Tudor School, Pembroke, Pembrokeshire County Council, Public Health Wales and Hywel Dda University Health Board have worked with the school to ensure that all possible precautionary measures are being taken to minimise risk of transmission of the virus.

All organisations have also continued to work closely with the Test Trace and Protect team.

All the necessary checks in relation to the positive Covid case have now been concluded and we can confirm that learners in 7H and learners in Years 9, 10 and 11 will not be required to self-isolate for 14 days.

Parents are advised that virtual Learning is currently continuing on Google Classrooms but pupils are welcome to come into school for the remaining Period 3 and Period 4 today.

 

Parents/guardians have been given the following advice by Hywel Dda University Health Board:

If a child/parent/household member develops symptoms of COVID-19, the entire household should immediately self-isolate, and book a test for the individual with the symptoms. It is unnecessary to test the entire household if they are not symptomatic.

 

The COVID-19 symptoms are:

 

  • a new continuous cough
  • a high temperature
  • loss of or change to sense of smell or taste

 

Booking a COVID-19 test:

 

Hywel Dda University Health Board recommends testing only for those with a new continuous cough, a high temperature, or loss of or change in the sense of taste or smell.

 

If a child does not have symptoms of COVID-19 but has other cold-like symptoms, such as a runny nose, they do not need to be tested and they and you do not need to self-isolate. Your child can go to school if fit to do so.

 

If a COVID-19 test is required, this should be arranged via the UK Booking Portal, https://gov.wales/apply-coronavirus-test or by ringing 119. Testing is available within Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire or via a home testing kit delivered to and collected from your home. The COVID-19 test is undertaken via a throat swab or combined throat and nose swab.

Continue Reading

Education

Milford Haven Community Primary School Covid case information

Published

on

MILFORD HAVEN Community Primary School is aware of information circulating that a learner at the school has received a positive Covid-19 test.

The learner has not been in school for a period of time.

The school has consulted with Pembrokeshire County Council, Public Health Wales and Hywel Dda University Health Board and it has been concluded that no pupils in the school are at risk and there is no need for any learners to self-isolate as a result.

Please continue to keep safe, well and follow the advice below from the Health Board.

If a child/parent/household member develops symptoms of Covid-19, the entire household should immediately self-isolate, and book a test for the individual with the symptoms.

It is unnecessary to test the entire household if they are not symptomatic.

The Covid-19 symptoms are:

• a new continuous cough
• a high temperature
• loss of or change to sense of smell or taste

Booking a Covid-19 test:

Hywel Dda University Health Board recommends testing only for those with a new continuous cough, a high temperature, or loss of or change in the sense of taste or smell.

If a child does not have symptoms of Covid-19 but has other cold-like symptoms, such as a runny nose, they do not need to be tested and they and you do not need to self-isolate. Your child can go to school if fit to do so.

If a Covid-19 test is required, this should be arranged via the UK Booking Portal, https://gov.wales/apply-coronavirus-test or by ringing 119. Testing is available within Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire or via a home testing kit delivered to and collected from your home. The Covid-19 test is undertaken via a throat swab or combined throat and nose swab.

Self-isolation:

It is essential that people who have Covid-19 symptoms, or who share a household with someone who has symptoms, must self-isolate, even if your symptoms are mild. To protect others, you must not attend school, nursery, other childcare settings, work, or go to or to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.

Anyone with symptoms must self-isolate for 10 days from when their symptoms started. They can return to school or work after 10 days if they are well enough to do so. A pupil must remain fever free for at least 48 hrs.

Anyone in the household who does not have symptoms must self-isolate for 14 days from when the first person in the home started having symptoms.

If a parent thinks their child has symptoms BUT chooses not to put them through a test all household members must remain in self-isolation for 14 days from the onset of symptoms.

If you receive a positive test result, you will be contacted by the Test, Trace, Protect Team who will advise you further.

Non-household members/contacts:

If a person has been in contact with an individual experiencing symptoms, they should carry on as normal until that individual receives their test result. If this is positive, the Test, Trace, Protect Team will contact those people identified as contacts and advise accordingly.

Continue Reading
News16 hours ago

Penally asylum seekers warned for breaking Fire-Break Lockdown rules

POLICE have warned asylum seekers staying at Penally camp that there is currently a Firebreak Lockdown in Wales, and that...

News17 hours ago

New lockdown grants reminder for businesses in Pembrokeshire

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has begun processing applications from local businesses for the new non-repayable grants introduced by Welsh Government in...

News18 hours ago

Police investigating the death of a 50-year old man in Saundersfoot

TWO AMBULANCES and several police vehicles were called to a property in the south of the county on Thursday. Police...

News21 hours ago

Update on schools opening on 2nd November

Schools in Pembrokeshire will re-open after half-term on Monday, 2 nd November. Primary schools, Portfield Special School and the Pembrokeshire...

News2 days ago

Police Tasered teenager in Hakin following car theft

A SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLD boy who resisted arrest after stealing a vehicle and driving it around Glebelands in Hakin in the middle...

News3 days ago

Vulnerable man targeted by rogue trader

A ROGUE trader has been ordered to pay almost £2,000 by a court after carrying out shocking DIY work for...

News3 days ago

Drug driver arrested in Milford Haven after driving through stop sign and into roadworks

A DRUG driver who drove through a stretch of roadworks on the wrong side of the road, before hitting a...

News3 days ago

How special forces who train in and protect Pembrokeshire saved ‘hijacked’ oil tanker and 22 crew

A ROYAL NAVY special forces strike group, who are regularly seen training in and around Milford Haven, was scrambled this...

News4 days ago

Webpage details penally camp information

A WEBPAGE has been set up to keep residents of Penally and the surrounding areas up to date with key...

News4 days ago

Welsh Health Minister defends retail restrictions

THE WELSH Health Minister, Vaughan Gething, faced stiff today (Monday, Oct 26) questioning over retail restrictions during the current ‘firebreak...

Popular This Week