Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Castle announces cancellation of this year’s Christmas Market due to COVID-19

Published

on

PEMBROKE CASTLE have announced the cancellation of this year’s Christmas Market due to COVID-19 fears.

Posting on social media on Saturday (Sept 12), the management said: “We are very sorry to announce that this year’s Christmas Market event has been cancelled. After giving it much thought over the past few months we have come to the inevitable conclusion that the safety of our staff and visitors must come first.

“It is a hugely popular event which attracts thousands of visitors from across South Wales to Pembroke, which in a normal year provides a much needed economic boost to the area and sets the tone for the festive season.

“However, social distancing would be impossible to ensure during this event and the risk of COVID-19 being passed on during the event would be extremely high.

“Regretfully, the arrival of Santa into the castle has also been cancelled.

“We are looking forward to staging it again, hopefully, in 2021 bigger and better than ever.”

It is the latest in a series of festive events which have been cancelled in recent days, including the Milford Haven Christmas Lights Switch-on, and the Fishguard New Years Eve celebrations.

Continue Reading

News

Garage planning appeal dismissed

Published

on

A PLANNING inspector has upheld a Pembrokeshire County Council decision to refuse planning permission for a detached garage.

The Inspector dismissed the appeal by Mr Peter Baker against the Council’s decision to refuse the proposed development at Amroth Road, Ludchurch.

Planning Inspector J P Tudor agreed that the development would cause unacceptable harm on the character and appearance of the area.

The planned garage was to be placed in front of a detached bungalow.

Other properties nearby generally have garages situated to the side or rear or integrated into the main building.

The Inspector said: “Given its size and position, the garage would appear prominent in public views along the highway and be noticeable from neighbouring properties. It would compromise the existing sense of space and openness to the front of most dwellings.

“Therefore, the development would have an adverse effect on the character an appearance of the area.”

The appeal was dismissed.

Continue Reading

News

New guidelines for hospital visiting during Coronavirus outbreak

Published

on

NEW revised NHS Wales hospital visiting guidance during the coronavirus outbreak will be published on Monday 30 November 2020. This supersedes previously published guidance.

The revised guidance sets out the baseline for visiting in Wales during the pandemic, but allows health boards, trusts and hospices to have more flexibility to depart from the guidance.

This flexibility is due to the changing picture of coronavirus transmission across Wales, with significant variations in community transmission across different parts of the country and differences in the rate of nosocomial transmission.

The new guidelines allow health care providers to asses local factors and work with local infection prevention and control teams and Public Health Wales when agreeing visiting arrangements.

Healthcare providers may depart from the guidance in response to:

  • rising levels of covid-19 transmission in their localities, including levels which result in a national lockdown and/or evidence of nosocomial transmission in a particular setting; or
  • falling levels of transmission in their local area.

In addition to allowing for this flexibility the revised guidance has been amended for maternity services after listening to feedback from women and families and consulting with Heads of Midwifery and Sonography/Radiography Services. Visiting in maternity services will now be based on a risk assessment approach by health boards. This will take into consideration local environmental factors such as room sizes, ability to socially distance and infection prevention and control risks in enabling partners to safely accompany pregnant women and new mothers. This risk assessed approach should be taken in collaboration with relevant health professionals, local infection prevention and control teams and Public Health Wales. All women will be supported to have at least one partner with them during active labour, birth and for the period immediately after the birth, except in an extremely limited number of circumstances.

The updated guidelines also recognise that some people may require an essential support assistant for specific additional support eg a support worker or interpreter. Essential support assistants will not to be classed as visitors, in some circumstances, where people receive care and support from a family member or partner, they may nominate this person as their essential support assistant.

Minister for Health and Social Services Vaughan Gething, said: “We recognise that the restrictions on visiting has a huge impact on patients, their families and loves ones. We have announced further changes to the guidelines today to provide health boards, trusts and hospices with flexibility to depart from the guidelines in response to local levels of Covid-19 transmission. It is important to remember that the virus has not gone away and the health, safety and wellbeing of patients, communities and NHS staff remains an absolute priority for both the Welsh Government and health care providers. Tough choices will still need to be made but we hope the revised guidelines will allow more flexibility for health care providers. ”

Continue Reading

Education

Ysgol y Preseli in Crymych named Welsh secondary school of the decade

Published

on

NEWS that Ysgol y Preseli in Crymych is the Sunday Times Welsh State Secondary School of the Decade has been welcomed by the local authority.

The school is named in Parent Power, the Sunday Times Schools Guide, which identifies the 2,000 highest-achieving schools in the UK, ranked by their most recently published examination results.

The news will be published in The Sunday Times and online this Sunday, November 29th.

Nick Rodrigues, the deputy editor of Parent Power, said: “This bilingual school has risen around 300 places in our rankings since 2012 and now stands 186th overall. Last summer’s results were the best we had captured. The school is consistently moving in the right direction.

“Head teacher Michael Davies and deputy head Iola Phillips are both retiring this year which makes it especially poignant that Ysgol Y Preseli wins the Welsh State Secondary School of the Decade award. It marks the end of a fantastic era of dedication by two exemplary educators and is a fitting testament to their hard work.

“Under their leadership teachers have fostered productive working relationships with their pupils ensuring they are highly motivated.

“Officials noted during its last Estyn monitoring that ‘Ysgol y Preseli is an extremely homely community with an inclusive and caring Welsh ethos’ and emphasised teachers’ conscientious aim to support every pupil, making clear why this school is the perfect recipient for our Welsh State Secondary School of the Decade award.”

Cllr Guy Woodham, Cabinet Member for Education and Lifelong Learning, said: “I am absolutely delighted to hear that Ysgol Preseli has been awarded Welsh State Secondary School of the Decade.

“This is a fantastic achievement and recognises the hard work and dedication of the whole Preseli education community. It is particularly poignant and timely that this comes as the Head and Deputy Head retire. My thanks and congratulations to all who have contributed to this award.”

Head teacher Michael Davies said it was fantastic news for everyone associated with Ysgol Y Preseli.

“To be ranked the top Welsh State Secondary School of the Decade is an incredible achievement,” she said.

“This is the culmination of ten years of hard work and I would like to dedicate the award to all the team at Ysgol Y Preseli, governors, senior management, staff, pupils, parents and the Pembrokeshire community.”

Continue Reading
Education4 hours ago

Ysgol y Preseli in Crymych named Welsh secondary school of the decade

NEWS that Ysgol y Preseli in Crymych is the Sunday Times Welsh State Secondary School of the Decade has been...

News7 hours ago

New restrictions for hospitality sector will come into force from December 4

PUBS, restaurants and bars in Wales will be subject to stricter Covid-19 restrictions in the run up to Christmas, the...

News11 hours ago

It’s official! Pembrokeshire is best at recycling in Wales

PEMBROKESHIRE residents are the top recyclers in the country, it’s been announced. The Welsh Government has named Pembrokeshire as the...

News1 day ago

Family tribute to Jean Evans who died suddenly in a Tenby caravan park

THE FAMILY of a woman who died suddenly in a Tenby caravan park have paid tribute to a “wonderful wife,...

News1 day ago

Camp security boss threatened unpaid staff

Guards walked out last week over wage dispute, police on stand-by SECURITY staff guarding the Asylum Seekers Accommodation Centre in Penally have...

News2 days ago

Jessica ready to help in access officer role

Pembrokeshire County Council has a new Access Officer. Jessica Hatchett took up the role earlier this month and has always...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Footage of police pursuit released as dangerous driver is jailed

POLICE have released footage of a drug driver who drove through a stretch of roadworks on the wrong side of...

News3 days ago

North Pembrokeshire school closures explained

PEMBROKESHIRE’S education chief has explained the decision to keep six North Pembrokeshire schools closed today (Tuesday, 24th November). The schools...

News4 days ago

Two day centres to close temporarily as a precaution

TWO north Pembrokeshire Day facilities for older people and people with learning disabilities are to close temporarily as a precaution...

News4 days ago

North Pembrokeshire schools remain closed

THE SIX North Pembrokeshire schools which were closed today (Monday, November 23) as a precaution following the increased spread of...

Popular This Week