Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Politics

Welsh Government Transforming Towns funding approval for South Quay Project

Published

on

MAJOR plans by Pembrokeshire County Council to transform a derelict site in the centre of Pembroke have been endorsed by the Welsh Government.

The project to redevelop the South Quay site into a vibrant heritage centre with associated landscaping and public realm improvements has secured £901,590 of Welsh Government Transforming Towns funding to support delivery of the enabling works.

Deputy Minister for Housing and Local Government Hannah Blythyn said: “Supporting and securing the future of our towns is a priority for the Welsh Government, with the pandemic reinforcing and reigniting our commitment to town centres in Wales through our Transforming Towns Agenda.

“I am pleased to see how Welsh Government funding is transforming and breathing new life into an unused and derelict site and bringing it back into use as a heritage and visitor centre, café and Library.

“This funding will revitalise the South Quay site and the centre of Pembroke and I look forward to seeing how this regeneration benefits the town and surrounding communities.”

The first phase of the project will consist of the refurbishment of three derelict properties at Castle Terrace and the creation of the new heritage centre, which will include a library and café.

Further improvements include landscaping the gardens (known as burgage plots) behind Castle Terrace and a public realm scheme designed to revitalise the surrounding area by connecting Northgate Street to the new café.

The Council’s proposals received excellent feedback when they were shared with the community earlier this year.

Cllr Paul Miller, Cabinet Member with Responsibility for Economic Development, welcomed the support from Welsh Government.

“Renewing and transforming our town centres is a priority for this administration but we don’t underestimate the scale of the challenge,” he said.

“Working in partnership with Welsh Government is critical to making interventions on the scale required and the South Quay scheme is an important part of securing a prosperous future for Pembroke Town.”

Local member Cllr Aaron Carey said: “I’m very happy that Welsh Government and the current administration at Pembrokeshire County Council are following through with their commitment to revitalise Pembroke. It will be a lot of work but worth it in the end.”

Work is due to start later in the autumn on enabling works to ready the site for wholesale development. This will include the work needed to stabilise the Castle Terrace buildings.

Continue Reading

Politics

Pembrokeshire County Council considering ‘Fire-break’ implications

Published

on

FOLLOWING the First Minister’s announcement at lunchtime today (Oct 19) of an all-Wales ‘firebreak’ commencing on Friday, Pembrokeshire County Council is currently assessing the impact this will have on its services.

Council Leader, David Simpson, said: “I can provide assurance that detailed planning arrangements both internally, and externally with our partner agencies, are underway to ensure that we are well placed to meet any challenges which may arise.

“We will be issuing further updates over the coming days.”

Councillor Simpson added: “The First Minister has clearly said the ‘firebreak’ has been put in place due to the increasing level of cases across Wales.

“Although the restrictions do not come into force until Friday we all have to act now – early prevention can make a huge difference.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Two week national ‘Firebreak Lockdown’ announced for Wales from 6pm on Friday

Published

on

MARK DRAKEFORD, The First Minister of Wales has announced a two week ‘fire break’ lockdown from Friday October 23 at 18:00 HRS, to last until Monday November 9 at 00:01 HRS

Mr Drakeford said: “This firebreak is the shortest we can make it. It must be sharp and deep in order to have the impact we need it to have on the virus.”

All non essential businesses, including tourism businesses will be told to close.

Businesses have been told that they will be given £1000 each automatically to help with the economic impact of the shutdown.

Mr Drakeford added that children will be the priority and that childcare facilities will open as normal. Primary schools will open after half term.

Secondary schools will be closed for a week after half term to help control the virus.

Universities will offer a mixture of face-to-face learning and learning via video link. Students must stay at their university accommodation during the lockdown.

Responding to the Welsh Government’s announcement of a Wales-wide lockdown, Paul Davies MS, the Leader of the Opposition in the Welsh Parliament, has called the lockdown “not-proportionate” and is calling on the Welsh Government to be “open and transparent” on the evidence to support a lockdown and if the First Minister is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns every month.

Paul Davies MS said: “Sadly, the First Minster has failed to get public support for this second Wales-wide lockdown, failing to be open and transparent about the evidence to justify this lockdown and what his actions will entail for the future.

“The Welsh Government also has to be honest that this road they are taking us down is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns. This is not a two-week break to solve the pandemic, it is likely that we will see regular lockdowns across the rest of the year. The Welsh Government must be clear what actions they are taking during the lockdown to prevent further Wales-wide lockdowns which will have a significant impact on people’s lives and livelihoods.

“However, the main concern is that this national lockdown is not proportionate. The impact on businesses in areas such as Powys, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, who have the lowest rate of Covid-19 cases in Wales, will be severe at a time when they are desperately struggling to recover from the pandemic so far this year.

“The First Minister needs to urgently come to the Welsh Parliament and answer these questions, to face effective scrutiny by elected representatives and not run his government by media.”

Preseli Pembrokeshire MP, Stephen Crabb told The Herald: “The evidence to support an all-Wales lockdown is weak and I am sceptical that this so-called ‘fire-break’ will tackle the situation in those parts of Wales where infection rates have been out of control. The key issue for Welsh Government to address is what will be done differently after the firebreak ends in those parts of Wales where infection rates have spiralled out of control. Otherwise the whole of Wales risks being dragged back into a series of rolling lockdowns.

“As we saw earlier in the year, lockdowns come with huge costs in terms of harm to the economy and to people’s emotional and mental wellbeing. With the Welsh Government asking UK Government to fund this lockdown, I hope that as many businesses as possible get support they need quickly. Pembrokeshire’s hospitality businesses will be hit particularly hard by these latest restrictions and I will be fighting hard again to see that they are protected as the lockdown kicks in.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Cardiff and London at loggerheads over who will pay the bill for the Wales-wide lockdown

Published

on

By

THE PLANNED national lockdown for Wales still has many details to finalise before any final announcement of its terms and length.

The major sticking point is money.

During the UK-wide national lockdown from March to July, the Westminster Government picked up the tab for paying Welsh workers’ wages and provided a massive amount of extra funding for business support.

From November 1, the UK government will support eligible businesses by paying two-thirds of each employee’s salary, up to a maximum of £2,100 a month.

Businesses might also be eligible for grant support of up to £3,000 a month to meet other costs.

Devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will receive a total of £1.3bn in increased funding this year to cover similar measures.

Businesses will only be eligible to claim the grant while they are subject to lockdown restrictions.

Council leaders across Wales have expressed their deep concern to Welsh Government ministers about the lack of any detail of what will be done to provide financial support to businesses, particularly those which are not forced to close by lockdown restrictions but close as a knock-on effect of lockdown.

Local authorities, which channelled most business support during the lockdown which began in March, have still not been told by the Welsh Government what help or how much will be available for businesses in that position, let alone how it will be delivered.

The sour relationship between the Welsh Government and Westminster is not likely to help Mark Drakeford’s administration if it looks for fresh funding help from the Treasury to bail it out of the wider economic consequences of a Wales-wide lockdown.

If the Welsh Government tries to go it alone to soften the blow, it faces making significant cuts elsewhere in its budgets.

Continue Reading
News10 hours ago

Second fire-break lockdown is likely early next year says Deputy Economy Minister

A SECOND fire-break lockdown is likely in Wales in early January or February, a Welsh Government minister has warned. Deputy...

News12 hours ago

Driver mounted pavements and hit parked vehicles after drinking two bottles of wine

A MAN who got behind the wheel of his car after drinking two bottles of wine, mounted pavements and crashed...

News2 days ago

Man arrested at marina, police dog finds ‘drugs’ next day

A MAN was arrested at Milford Haven Marina following an alleged incident involving domestic assault. Police officers were seen in...

News3 days ago

‘Firebreak’ lockdown comes at right time as Pembs covid cases continue to rise

TOMORROWS’s ‘firebreak’ lockdown is coming at an extremely important time for Pembrokeshire as numbers of positive coronavirus cases rise in...

News4 days ago

Two banned from county after ‘disturbance’ at Penally Asylum Centre

TWO asylum seekers have been banned from entering Pembrokeshire while investigations take place into a disturbance at a military training...

News6 days ago

Pembrokeshire lockdown ‘disproportionate’ as cases locally were below trigger-point

PEMBROKESHIRE was plunged into the Welsh Government’s ‘fire-break’ lockdown even though the County does not meet the criteria for a...

News1 week ago

Sageston: Sex offender who was chased from street by protestors jailed

A SEX offender who was removed from his home to get him away from a protest over his release, breached...

News2 weeks ago

Magistrates issue thousands of pounds worth of fines for lockdown breaches

A MAN who travelled from Swansea to Pembrokeshire to buy five sacks of potatoes has been fined for breaching Covid...

News2 weeks ago

Shell fisheries closed after train crash can reopen

COCKLE and shell fisheries that were closed as a precaution following the Milford Haven oil train derailment in Carmarthenshire on...

News2 weeks ago

Covid-19 case confirmed at Ysgol Bro Gwaun, Fishguard

A CASE of Covid-19 has been confirmed in Year 11 at Ysgol Bro Gwaun, Fishguard. As a precaution Year 11...

Popular This Week