Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Health

75 to 79-year-olds in west Wales invited to receive COVID-19 vaccine

Published

on

INVITES are currently being sent to 20,000 Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire residents aged 75 to 79 years to receive their first COVID-19 vaccine at a mass vaccination centre.

The Chair of the local health board, Maria Battle, visited the centres in Haverfordwest and Tenby last week to thank the staff and volunteers who have been working hard to get the sites ready to welcome residents.

Ms Battle told The Herald: “Our vaccination campaign, the biggest in the history of the NHS, is gathering pace daily.

“It is heart-warming to hear patients talk about the hope the vaccine is giving them of reconciliation with their families and of returning to a more normal life when it is safe to do so.

“We are very grateful to our local authority partners and our universities, our volunteers, the RAF and all our staff and contractors who are working over and above their normal duties to get this vaccine to as many people as quickly as possible. Together we will win our fight against this virus.”

David Simpson, Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council added: “We are delighted to work in partnership with Hywel Dda University Health Board on the mass vaccination centres at the Pembrokeshire Archives Building in Haverfordwest and Tenby Leisure Centre.

“This will enable more people to be protected as we extend the vaccination cohort across the priority groups.

“The vaccination programme is a huge task and it is still vitally important that we continue to protect ourselves while the vaccine roll out continues.

“I want to thank everyone that is working or supporting the vaccination centres and GP surgeries in their vital work, which will help ensure the most vulnerable in our communities are protected.”

Health

All local hospitals to become smoke-free from March

Published

on

PEOPLE living across Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire are being reminded that today marks just two weeks until all hospital grounds in the three counties become smoke-free.

New laws, being introduced across Wales on Monday 1st March, build on the smoking ban introduced in 2007, and will result in all parts of Glangwili, Bronglais, Withybush and Prince Philip hospitals becoming smoke-free.

The law will also apply to all other Health Board run facilities.

The move is part of a national drive to create a healthier Wales and healthier future by protecting everyone from harmful, second-hand smoke, supporting those trying to quit, as well as reducing the normalisation of smoking, which is why the smoke-free law includes schools, public playgrounds, and outdoor areas of children’s daycare and childminding settings.

Anyone found breaking the law by smoking on these grounds could face a £100 fine.

Ros Jervis, Director of Public Health at Hywel Dda UHB, said: “This is great news for people in the three counties and Wales as a whole. Preventing people smoking on our hospital grounds will promote healthier care environments, protect hospital users from harmful second-hand smoke and support those using NHS services to quit.”

“We know the harms smoking can do to health, so I look forward to having the backing of our staff, patients and visitors, to ensure we all play our part in building a healthier Wales for the future.

Many smokers have already been motivated to give up smoking due to the COVID-19 pandemic and it is hoped this new legislation will encourage even more to do so. We have learnt that smoking can increase the risk of contracting COVID-19 and also the severity of the disease.

Quitting with support provides the best chance of stopping smoking for good, which is why we are making smoking support services available to those who would like help.

The Hywel Dda Healthy Lifestyle and Wellbeing Team (Smoking) can provide expert and confidential NHS behavioural support and access to medication to help stop smoking or access to stop smoking medication.  Support is currently provided via telephone.  The service can be contacted via 0300 303 9652, which is a freephone number.

Continue Reading

Health

Over £10m being spent on 84 new ambulances in Wales

Published

on

THE WELSH AMBULANCE SERVICE will receive 84 new operational vehicles thanks to a £10.9M investment from the Welsh Government.

The Minister for Health and Social Services, Vaughan Gething has also announced a further £1.6m in funding to the Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRTS) to expand the service into a 24/7 operation and establish the Critical Care Transfer Service. This is additional money following the £1.7m already given to the service. This service will support the national transfer of critically ill adults across Wales.

The Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRTS) provides consultant and critical care practitioner-delivered pre-hospital critical care across Wales. It was launched at the end of April 2015 and is a partnership between Wales Air Ambulance Charity, Welsh Government and NHS Wales.

The funding will be used to fund three specialist critical care ambulances and will see investment in equipment to support the expansion of the EMRTS service

Minister for Health and Social Services, Vaughan Gething, said: “The Welsh Ambulance Service has experienced a huge surge in demand on its services due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The funding announced today will allow the service to upgrade its existing fleet, allowing the service to deliver the best care for people in Wales.

“I’m also pleased to announce further funding which will establish a new Critical Care Transfer Service and see the expansion of EMRTS to a 24/7 operation, in partnership with the Wales Air Ambulance Charity.”

Chris Turley, the Welsh Ambulance Service’s Executive Director of Finance, said: “Our ambulances and response cars in Wales are some of the most modern and well equipped in the UK and this funding will allow us to continue to replace our vehicles as they reach the end of their working life

“Modern ambulances are essential in order that we can continue to provide the best treatment and patient experience possible.

“They’re also important for staff who spend the majority of their working day out and about in the community.
“It’s never been more important than ever to have a fleet which keeps the wheels turning on our ambulance service, and we’re grateful to Welsh Government for its continued support.”

Professor David Lockey, EMRTS National Director, said: “The funding has allowed us to extend our critical care provision into a 24/7 service. This, along with our partnership with the Wales Air Ambulance Charity, has helped us improve equality of access to rapid emergency-department standard care across the country.

“In addition, the funding for three specialist critical care ambulances will give us the capacity to support colleagues across NHS Wales with the transfer of critically ill patients between hospitals by road.

“We are very grateful for the ongoing support from Welsh Government, which has allowed our service to grow and make a significant contribution to critical care in Wales.”

Continue Reading

Health

Updated Covid-19 testing strategy for Wales published

Published

on

The original testing strategy was published in July 2020 and has been revised in light of our greater understanding of the virus, the development of new testing technology and the roll-out of our vaccination programme. The new strategy also expands our testing approach to include more regular testing for NHS and care home staff and patients in hospitals.

A community testing framework is also being published today which builds on the pilot schemes in Merthyr Tydfil and Lower Cynon to test asymptomatic people to stop the spread of the virus.

Today’s revised strategy focuses on the following priority areas;

·       Test to diagnose – Testing patients on admission to hospital, patients who develop symptoms while in hospital, asymptomatic in-patients five days after admission and planned admissions to protect patients who are at increased risk.

·       Test to safeguard – Regular asymptomatic testing for NHS and care home staff, supported living staff, staff working with vulnerable people in special schools, domiciliary care staff and prison staff.

·       Test to find – Continuing to test anyone who thinks they have symptoms to identify to isolate Covid-19 cases in the community, reduce the transmission of infection, support contact tracing, protect vulnerable individuals and help to slow or stop the spread of the disease.

·       Test to maintain – Regular testing of the workforce in various settings to find cases and exploring whether testing of asymptomatic contacts could allow people to safely remain at work or schools instead of isolating for 10 days. We are currently piloting and evaluating this approach.

·       Test to enable – Considering how testing might work alongside vaccination to enable people with a negative result or those who demonstrate the required level of antibodies in their system to travel internationally, attend work or cultural or sporting events or meet family and friends.

Health Minister Vaughan Gething said:

“Testing has continued to play a pivotal role in our overall approach to preventing the transmission of Covid-19 across Wales.

“Since the last strategy was published, new testing technologies have demonstrated it is possible to test at far greater scale, frequency and speed than ever before. Testing remains important as we roll out the vaccine. Once vaccinated, it is still critical that people continue to follow the guidance and if showing symptoms, get tested.

“Today I’m setting out our revised approach so we can continue to safeguard our most vulnerable people and protect the NHS. The strategy also looks ahead at how we can use testing as an appropriate and effective safeguard alongside the vaccine as we return to normality.”

Continue Reading
News17 hours ago

Postmaster and politicians welcome Goodwick cash machine U-turn

GOODWICK post office will now be keeping its ATM, after a U-turn by Post Office Ltd. The machine was due...

News18 hours ago

Judith Rhead murder: Police appeal to public for information

DYFED-POWYS POLICE can confirm it is appealing for information after the death of a 68-year-old woman from Pembroke Dock. Judith...

News1 day ago

Dale Morgan charged with murder of Judith Rhead, police confirm

DYFED POWYS POLICE have charged a man in connection with the alleged murder of 68 year old Judith Rhead who...

News3 days ago

Police investigate alleged rape of a child

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that a 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of raping a child in the south...

News3 days ago

Police confirm murder investigation underway following Judith Rhead’s death

THE POLICE have confirmed that the death of a woman, who died in Pembroke Dock on Saturday, is being treated...

News4 days ago

Deaths could be linked to salmonella in SFC chicken’s boneless buckets

THE FOOD STANDARDS AGENCY has issued an urgent warning about a chicken product sold in food stores across Wales. The...

News5 days ago

Pembroke Dock death being treated as suspicious, police confirm

POLICE  in Pembroke Dock are continuing to investigate the death of a woman in Market Street. A spokesman from Dyfed-Powys...

News6 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Police forensics team investigating death of woman in Market Street

THERE is a police presence in Pembroke Dock this evening as police, and forensics officers investigate the sudden death of...

News6 days ago

Stricken LPG tanker off Pembrokeshire coast rescued by super-tug ‘Bever’

AN LPG tanker which lost her engines and was adrift off the coast of Pembrokeshire is now under tow thanks...

News6 days ago

LPG tanker awaiting emergency rescue tug off the coast of Pembrokeshire

A LIBERIAN registered LPG tanker is awaiting rescue off the Pembrokeshire coast after developing engine trouble, The Herald can confirm....

Popular This Week