Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Spy camera pervert jailed

Published

on

Picture for illustrative purposes only

Picture for illustrative purposes only

MAGISTRATES in Haverfordwest warned members of the public that  “heckling would not be accepted” as they considered the sentence of a man who had pleaded guilty of voyeurism.

The man from Pembroke was jailed for six months today, the maximum sentence which the magistrates have the power to impose.
An extra security guard was on hand in the court as the victim, and her supporters, were in attendance in the public gallery.
Gareth Rogers, 56, of no fixed abode, set up a recording device in a bathroom to capture images of a 27-year-old woman for his own sexual gratification, but the court heard that the offences could have started when the victim was as young as fourteen.
Rogers had pleaded guilty at a previous hearing of filming a woman in the shower, on the toilet and during various other private moments using a secret recording device,  between December 1, 2011 and September 20, 2013.
Images were later transferred by him onto a memory stick. A third party, thinking the stick contained charity work, innocently found and ‘to the horror’ of that third party, it contained graphic images.
Due to court reporting restrictions, The Herald, cannot identify the victim or complainant in this case.
Following a complaint to the police sometime after the events took place, Rogers was arrested by police. The police also seized a HP Tower PC, a CD containing images, a laptop, a camera, and three other USB memory sticks from the address.
It was revealed in open court last month that these items seized allegedly contained indecent images of children aged nine and over. The court also heard that Rogers had a history of making and possession indecent images of children. He has previously served a prison sentence of nine months in 2000.
District Judge Parsons had warned at the previous hearing: “This case has the aggravating features of a gross breach of trust. It is an offence which has been committed over a relatively long period of time. It has involved planning, including the installation of equipment to record the victim.
Defending, Matthew Raggett told the court: “If the defendant could turn back the clock he would. He is deeply regretful of his actions. He acknowledges the harm, the invasion of privacy, and the intrusion this has caused. Clearly a gross breach of trust. The impact on the victim is unknown. In a statement from the victim there is no mention at all of the impact upon her. She has been let down by the system to a certain extent”
Mr Raggett continued: “Mr Rogers can not explain what he did. He is not admitting that it was for private pleasure. Following his conviction in 2000 for another sexual offence he received no help. He should have done.”
Rogers was ordered to register under the Sex Offenders Act 2003 within three days of the end of his sentence. He will need to let police know where he is living, or staying for the seven years after his release.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Second fire-break lockdown is likely early next year says Deputy Economy Minister

Published

on

A SECOND fire-break lockdown is likely in Wales in early January or February, a Welsh Government minister has warned.

Deputy Economy and Transport Minister, Lee Waters, said the current firebreak was unlikely to be the last in Wales – with England “expected” to follow.

Wales is currently in the middle of a two-week national lockdown to try and control the spread of coronavirus, he said.

Speaking on BBC Radio Wales Sunday Supplement programme he said people should be prepared to come in and out of lockdowns until a Covid-19 vaccine is found.

He said: “This is not the last lockdown we are going to see the projections we published in a worst case scenario show it’s likely we are going to need another firebreak in January or
February.”

He added that Wales is now witnessing a second peak, with critical care admissions increasing by 57% this week alone, and that was why the Welsh Government has introduced this “short, sharp” intervention.”

Lee Waters thinks that one lockdown will not be enough

Plaid Cymru said it was vital the test and trace system was improved during this firebreak to break the cycle of “devastating” national lockdowns.
“It is concerning to hear talk of plans for future firebreaks at the start of this reset,” said shadow health minister Rhun ap Iorwerth.
“If the Welsh Government puts effective measures in place over the next fortnight, a new strategy for the months ahead, it should be aiming to avoid having to return to these tight nationwide restrictions.
“Ministers must resolve the issues within the test, trace, support and isolate system to enable the newly adopted zero-Covid strategy to be successfully implemented.”

Meanwhile, a 28-year-old man has been charged with criminal damage and contravention of coronavirus regulations after allegedly being filmed removing plastic from items in a Tesco store.

Gwilym Owen, 28, will appear before magistrates on November 24 following the incident in the Bangor Tesco Extra store on Friday.

North Wales Police said Owen, from Anglesey, has been further charged with several public order offences.

Owen allegedly posted the video of himself on his Facebook account. A man is heard saying “since when has clothes been exempt?”, “rip the f***ers off!” and “kids’ f***ing clothes, it is a disgrace.”

As staff attempt to challenge the man and to stop him, he swore at them. He can be heard saying: “Since when have clothes been non-essential?”

A spokesperson for Tesco said: “Under new restrictions set out by the Welsh Government, we are currently unable to sell ‘non-essential’ items in our stores.
“Our colleagues have worked hard to put these measures in place and we ask that customers please respect these restrictions.”

Despite a petition which has now more than 50,000 signatures, The Welsh Government said: “We are not reviewing the requirements for supermarkets not to sell non-essentials we are going to review how it’s working in practice. Clearly there are some bumps.”

On the Andrew Marr Show, Labour’s health minister, Vaughan Gething also confirmed that the Welsh Government’s ban on the sale of non-essential items in supermarkets will also remain in place.

Continue Reading

News

Crabb urges us to ‘not drop the ball’ on polio vaccinations

Published

on

PRESELI MP Stephen Crabb has joined celebrated Paralympian and TV Presenter Ade Adepitan MBE and UK polio survivors this World Polio Day to produce a short film.

The group, all champions of the One Last Push campaign, have produced a video released on October 24th (World Polio Day), reminding people that ‘we can’t drop the ball’ on the fight for eradication. The film is inspired by Ade’s role as a professional basketball player.

This August, Africa was certified wild poliovirus free. This landmark achievement was made possible by global collaboration and the unwavering dedication of thousands of people on the ground working tirelessly to ensure every last child receives the vaccine. The UK has played a leading role in this remarkable progress – last November, the UK Government pledged to vaccinate 400 million children a year until 2023 against polio.

Mr Crabb is an advocate for polio eradication and a champion of the One Last Push campaign. He says: “Despite remarkable progress, polio is still a reality for children in Pakistan and Afghanistan. The UK must continue playing a leading role, and continue to support partners, organisations, and the people on the ground working towards eradication. Organisations like Rotary International have also played an important part in combating polio, with their Purple4Polio campaign, which has been well supported in Pembrokeshire.

“With the success in Africa, we now need ‘One Last Push’ to help free other countries of this terrible disease.”

Despite the good news, challenges to polio eradication efforts such as mobile populations, weak routine immunisations, community refusals, have been exacerbated this year by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Now is the time to bring together voices of support for World Polio Day to ensure we don’t lose the gains we’ve worked so hard to achieve and continue to keep our foot on the pedal until polio is wiped out for good.

Continue Reading

News

Driver mounted pavements and hit parked vehicles after drinking two bottles of wine

Published

on

A MAN who got behind the wheel of his car after drinking two bottles of wine, mounted pavements and crashed into two parked vehicles has been banned from driving.

Andrew McAteer, of The Green in Pembroke, put the safety of pedestrians at risk as he mounted kerbs on the wrong side of the road in an attempt to get away from Dyfed-Powys Police officers on September 19.

The 43-year-old was brought to the attention of the Pembrokeshire Roads Policing Unit when he pulled out in front of a marked police vehicle so suddenly it caused the driving officer to break sharply.

Because of the way the vehicle was being driven, officers illuminated their blue lights to indicate that he should pull over and stop.

However, McAteer did not comply.

PC Richard Mycroft said: “McAteer led officers on a pursuit of approximately 1.5 miles around the streets of Pembroke Dock.

“He was seen to mount the kerb and drive on the wrong side of the road, also colliding with two parked vehicles.

“It was only when he turned into a dead end car park that he came to a stop.

“His manner of driving was incredibly dangerous and reckless – putting a number of people at risk.”

The defendant finally stopped in a car park off Western Way, where he left the car and tried to run from officers.

He was taken to the ground and attempts were made to carry out a breath test.

PC Mycroft said: “As I was preparing the breathalyser, he said ‘I’m over the limit and that’s all I’m saying’, before refusing to be tested.

“He added ‘it doesn’t matter, I’m losing my licence’ when asked if he was refusing to provide a sample’.”

McAteer was arrested for failing to provide a roadside specimen of breath, and was taken to custody, where he also refused to provide a blood sample.

Despite having no recollection of the incident, the defendant said he had drunk two bottles of wine that day and admitted the offences.

He was charged with dangerous driving, failing to stop when requested by police, failing to stop following a collision, and failing to provide a sample of breath.

He appeared at Swansea Crown Court for sentencing on Thursday, October 22. He was sentenced to eight months in prison, suspended for 12 months, and was disqualified from driving for three years.

He must also complete a rehabilitation activity requirement, an alcohol treatment course, and must sit an extended driving test.

Continue Reading
News11 hours ago

Second fire-break lockdown is likely early next year says Deputy Economy Minister

A SECOND fire-break lockdown is likely in Wales in early January or February, a Welsh Government minister has warned. Deputy...

News13 hours ago

Driver mounted pavements and hit parked vehicles after drinking two bottles of wine

A MAN who got behind the wheel of his car after drinking two bottles of wine, mounted pavements and crashed...

News2 days ago

Man arrested at marina, police dog finds ‘drugs’ next day

A MAN was arrested at Milford Haven Marina following an alleged incident involving domestic assault. Police officers were seen in...

News4 days ago

‘Firebreak’ lockdown comes at right time as Pembs covid cases continue to rise

TOMORROWS’s ‘firebreak’ lockdown is coming at an extremely important time for Pembrokeshire as numbers of positive coronavirus cases rise in...

News4 days ago

Two banned from county after ‘disturbance’ at Penally Asylum Centre

TWO asylum seekers have been banned from entering Pembrokeshire while investigations take place into a disturbance at a military training...

News6 days ago

Pembrokeshire lockdown ‘disproportionate’ as cases locally were below trigger-point

PEMBROKESHIRE was plunged into the Welsh Government’s ‘fire-break’ lockdown even though the County does not meet the criteria for a...

News1 week ago

Sageston: Sex offender who was chased from street by protestors jailed

A SEX offender who was removed from his home to get him away from a protest over his release, breached...

News2 weeks ago

Magistrates issue thousands of pounds worth of fines for lockdown breaches

A MAN who travelled from Swansea to Pembrokeshire to buy five sacks of potatoes has been fined for breaching Covid...

News2 weeks ago

Shell fisheries closed after train crash can reopen

COCKLE and shell fisheries that were closed as a precaution following the Milford Haven oil train derailment in Carmarthenshire on...

News2 weeks ago

Covid-19 case confirmed at Ysgol Bro Gwaun, Fishguard

A CASE of Covid-19 has been confirmed in Year 11 at Ysgol Bro Gwaun, Fishguard. As a precaution Year 11...

Popular This Week