Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Councillors join fight to save hospital

Published

on

councilCOUNCILLORS were unanimous in their criticism of the Local health board health board at Thursday’s full council meeting. Council leader Jamie Adams expressed his intentions to invite the Local health board to a meeting with members to explore their vision for the future. This was supported by everyone in the chamber. A number of councillors expressed their concerns at recent cuts to services with some saying that Pembrokeshire was becoming like a third-world country. Cllr Adams said: “This council expresses great concerns for health services in Pembrokeshire. “We are concerned at the amount of primary and emergency care, particularly as we approach the height of the summer season. “I express my disappointment at the lack of understanding we have had with the health board. “We have to have an understanding that services, on occasion, may have to change. “We need to be assured that these services will be truly accessible for the people of Pembrokeshire. I have failed to receive those assurances so far. “I invite the health board to tell us what they are going to do, to show us how it will work and to prove what they are going to do will work.” Cllr Mike Williams said: “Nobody seems to have any courage. In Tenby GP services have been reduced, the MIU which cost £4.2 million is now closed. “The RNLI and Red Cross have been called in to undertake work in Tenby during the summer. I have no faith in the health board. We are becoming a thirdworld country. It’s an absolute disgrace.” Cllr Bob Kilmister said: “The health board have not been listening to the people of Pembrokeshire, they have real concerns and I am still very concerned that the health board are not going to be honest with us.” Cllr Peter Stock added: “Everyone in Pembrokeshire is very disappointed. There have been seven changes – each one, we were told, was for the better. Is it? “There is a need to provide quality services here in Pembrokeshire.” Cllr Wynne Evans urged members to make sure they attend a meeting with the Board to express all their concerns. Cllr David Lloyd said: “We are joining the fight to save services a little late but better late than never. “We are proud of these people who went to the Senedd to protest, we need to keep on with this fight.” Cllr John Allen-Mirehouse said: “It is at least an hour from Angle to Glangwili. These are emergency services that are being cut. A cardiac unit is an emergency unit, a baby unit has emergencies. There is a feeling that Pembrokeshire people do not matter, but there are more people in the summer. We need to get together and talk very seriously.” Cllr Tony Brinsden said: “Change is inevitable but we need to see that he change is good for all the people in Pembrokeshire. “Cllr Anthony Brinsden told Full Council: “The health board has been so economical with the truth that I don’t think that I will be hauled over the coals for saying they have been telling us absolute lies. I sincerely hope that the new chairman will listen to us.” Cllr Stephen Joseph added: “It is absolutely ludicrous that we may not have a hospital, we need to fight this a lot harder.” Cllr Mike James said: “People in the north of Pembrokeshire have been waiting for a hospital in Cardigan for many years. We were told one would be by 2015. To take services further away could be a disaster. To loud applause, Cllr Reg Owens added: “We must remember that this is a criticism of the Health board and we should give credit to the front line staff.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Dale Road: Several have minor injuries after two vehicle accident

Published

on

EMERGENCY SERVICES are attending a two-vehicle road traffic accident on the B4327 Dale Road.

Two fire crews from Haverfordwest as well as police were called at around 3pm today (Aug 16).

A van and a car are involved.

Avoid the area at the present time

The Herald understands that several people are being treated for minor injuries.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Tenby: Hotel goes into administration as new owner’s business empire collapses

Published

on

A POPULAR Pembrokeshire hotel has gone into administration.

The Fourcroft Hotel in Tenby how faces an uncertain future. It’s parent company Northern Powerhouse Developments reportedly suffered a £14m operational loss last year.

The 40-bedroomed hotel, which had been in the ownership of the same family for over 70 years, was bought by Northern Powerhouse Developments for an undisclosed sum in January 2017.

New boss Gavin Woodhouse said at the time: “This is the first of four hotels we are acquiring and opening in South Wales to complement our existing hotels up and down the coastline of the United Kingdom.”

“The Fourcroft will be the sister hotel to the Llandudno Bay Hotel and Spa and part of the group’s premier hotel collection.

“We are keen to compliment the local businesses and hope to be part of the future success of Tenby and the surrounding areas.”

NPD was founded by Gavin Woodhouse to focus on investment in the leisure and tourism industry.

According to ITV News, at the High Court hearing, Justice Alastair Norris was told that Woodhouse had been withdrawing tens of thousands of pounds from a bank account he had kept secret from administrators.

Below: Video by The Guardian regarding the missing millions which have plagued Gavin Woodhouse’s businesses

Appointment of Administrators

In the High Court of Justice

Court Number: CR-2019-005297

FOURCROFT HOTEL (TENBY) LIMITED

(Company Number 00772050)

Nature of Business: Hotels and similar accommodation

Registered office: Unit D2 Elland Riorges Link, Lowfields Business Park, Elland, HX5 9DG

Principal trading address: The Croft, Tenby, SA70 8AP

Date of Appointment: 8 August 2019

Names and Address of Administrators: Philip Francis Duffy (IP No. 9253) and Sarah Helen Bell (IP No. 9406) both of Duff & Phelps Ltd, The Chancery, 58 Spring Gardens, Manchester, M2 1EW

Further details contact: The Joint Administrators, Tel: 0161 827 9000. Alternative contact: Chloe Chan, Email: Chloe.Chan@duffandphelps.com

Ag JG50885

Continue Reading

News

Coastguard call-out after missing cliff climbers fears

Published

on

EMERGENCY services were called to the Stack Rocks area on Thursday August 15, following concerns for the safety of two climbers.

The emergency services were called following fears over the safety of some climbers when climbing gear had been found at the top of the cliff near Bullslaughter Bay, with the owners nowhere to be seen.

At 9.11pm, Tenby Coastguard rescue team, St Govan coastguard rescue team, Tenby Lifeboats RNLI ALB, Angle Lifeboat RNLI ALB and Coastguard rescue helicopter 187 were called to search for possible missing persons in the vicinity of Stack rocks.

Tenby’s RNLI all-weather lifeboat was launched just after 9pm and made best speed towards the scene, 10 miles west of Tenby, while Tenby and St Govans Coastguard rescue teams and Coastguard rescue helicopter 187 also made their way.

An RNLI spokesman said: “Once on scene, the volunteer crew began their search from Stackpole Head towards Bullslaughter Bay.

“With darkness fast approaching, it was decided to launch Angle all-weather lifeboat so that the search for anyone in difficulty could be widened.

“Sometime later, the helicopter spotted some climbers and directed Angle lifeboat to their position, and, while speaking to them, they confirmed it was their climbing gear and that they were in no difficulty.

“All units stood down and returned to their respective stations, with Tenby lifeboat arriving back on station at about 12.15am.”

H M Coastguard Tenby, posting on Facebook, added: “Coastguard and RNLI were quickly on the scene with the Coastguard officers searching from land along the coastline and RNLI lifeboats commencing a water search.

“Once Coastguard rescue helicopter 187 arrived on scene they managed to quickly locate two climbers using FLIR [Forward-Looking Infra-Red].

“Angle RNLI was then directed to the persons and made contact with the climbers and confirmed that the equipment found belonged to them and that they did not require assistance.”

Continue Reading
News2 days ago

Dale Road: Several have minor injuries after two vehicle accident

EMERGENCY SERVICES are attending a two-vehicle road traffic accident on the B4327 Dale Road. Two fire crews from Haverfordwest as...

News2 days ago

Tenby: Hotel goes into administration as new owner’s business empire collapses

A POPULAR Pembrokeshire hotel has gone into administration. The Fourcroft Hotel in Tenby how faces an uncertain future. It’s parent...

News2 days ago

Woman rescued from Caldey after suspected arm fracture

A WOMAN, suffering a suspected fractured arm after a fall on Caldey, was taken to hospital on Thursday, August 15....

News4 days ago

Pembrokeshire high streets shortlisted for UK awards

TWO Pembrokeshire high streets have been shortlisted to win up to £15,000 in this year’s Great British High Street Awards....

News4 days ago

National Park in top 10 UK travel experiences

EXPLORING the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park has been named as one of Lonely Planet’s 10 best travel experiences in the...

News4 days ago

Casualty taken to hospital after Caldey rescue

A CASUALTY was taken to hospital following a rescue operation from Caldey Island on Monday, August 12. Posting on Facebook,...

News5 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Cyclist airlifted to hospital following RTC

EMERGENCY SERVICES rushed to Wavell Crescent in Pembroke Dock on Tuesday afternoon (Aug 13) after a young boy on his...

News5 days ago

Police search home of former Carmarthenshire County Council boss Mark James

POLICE OFFICERS have executed search warrants at properties in Carmarthenshire, Swansea, and Kent. Their actions are part of an investigation...

News5 days ago

Withybush: Man arrested after hunt for alleged knifeman

A TWENTY-FOUR-year-old man is being questioned by police following a hunt for an alleged knifeman in Haverfordwest. Police were calling...

News7 days ago

Refinery could be out of action for weeks, costing Valero millions

THE FALLOUT from Friday’s disruption to the national electricity supply across many parts of the UK will be serious for...

Popular This Week