Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Wrong way driver dumped car in high street

Published

on

swansea crown courtA BANNED driver seen going the wrong way along a one way street had a row with her boyfriend and dumped the car in the middle of the road.
Lyndsey Bidgway, aged 25, handed over the keys to a member of the public and walked away from the vehicle, leaving it in the middle of Main Street, Pembroke.
Bidgway admitted driving while banned and without insurance.
Patrick Griffiths, prosecuting, said Bidgway had been banned after trying to outrun police while over the drink drive limit. She was also made the subject of a suspended prison sentence.
On July 7 she drove her Vauxhall Astra the wrong way along Main Street and suddenly got out to quarrel with her then boyfriend, a passenger in the car.
Bidgway drove a few more yards before again getting out and resuming the argument.
A member of the public thought she was drunk and demanded the keys, which she gave him before walking off.
Mr Griffiths said Bidgway had been drinking but she was not over the limit.
On her arrest she volunteered to police that she had lost her licence.
Judge Phillip Richards said Bidgway, from Hengoed in Gwent, could not complain if he implemented the suspended prison sentence and added some more jail time for the latest offending.
But she had an innocent baby daughter who would suffer more than she would.
He told Bidgway she had been “crassly stupid” and passers-by had become extremely worried at the peril she had caused.
Judge Richards imposed an additional prison sentence of four months, suspended for two years, and warned Bidgway that if she offended again she could expect to see the jail terms activated and added together.
She was also ordered to carry out an additional 100 hours of unpaid work for the community, and to serve an 8pm to 7am curfew until January 2.
Judge Phillips said the curfew would curtail Bidgway’s celebrations over the Christmas period and would serve as part of her punishment.
She was also banned from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay a government surcharge of £100.
Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Andrew Lye

    August 3, 2014 at 1:06 pm

    So she didnt get sent to prison because she had a young child.If that isn\’t discrimination against men, I dont know what is. She should have been treated how anyone would be. Presumably the father could look after the child or parents, siblings or social services.TBH … she sounds like she shouldnt ever get behind the wheel of a car, judging by her record.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Bar 10 licensing hours extended

Published

on

THE COUNTY COUNCIL’s Licensing Sub-Committee granted an extension of hours to a Tenby pub this Tuesday (Feb 18).
The Committee considered an application from the licensees of Bar 10 in St George’s Street to allow it to remain open until 2:00 am.
Tenby Town Council objected to the application and Cllr Paul Rapi represented the Town Council in front of the Committee.
Cllr Rapi told the Committee that people walking past the premises during the day tended to avoid the front of the premises ‘because it can be a bit lively for some people’.
Licensing officers issued a noise abatement to the bar in September last year.
Cllr Rapi said that he and other councillors continued to receive complaints about noise from the pub, even though those complaints had neither been recorded nor reported.
He continued: “Tenby Town Council want to see some sort of control over this noise that’s coming out of Bar 10.
“It’s the main street in Tenby, the sort of rowdiness that occurs between 5 and 7 pm in the summer is not acceptable.”
The Committee also heard from Police that there general noise and disturbance were prevalent in the confines of Tenby’s town centre during the summer months. The area around Bar 10 is a ‘cumulative’ noise area caused by the presence of a significant number of pubs and bars in the vicinity
A report regarding noise pollution prepared by the local authority said that ‘despite a number of complaints and interventions by … the Designated Premises Supervisor has not shown sufficient consideration and understanding of the need to control noise from activities at the premises to ensure disturbance is not caused to nearby residents’.
When cross-examined by the solicitor acting for the applicants, Mr David Lewis, the Council officer presenting that report, Nathan Miles, confirmed his department received no complaints about noise since a noise abatement was issued the preceding September. Questioned once more by Mr Lewis, Mr Miles also confirmed no complaints were received by the Council following the issue of seasonal temporary extensions granted to the premises over Christmas and New Year.
Objections to the hours’ variations raised by the Licensing Inspector, Geraint Griffiths were also examined both by members of the Committee and David Lewis.
Licensing inspector Geriant Griffiths said in the past there had been issues with CCTV not working and there was a “serious disregard for licensing objectives.”
During questioning, it emerged that the Licensing Inspector had no information about the premises following his previous visit to it over two years ago. The Licensing Inspector agreed that comments about the quality of CCTV in his report were similarly out of date. Mr David Lewis pointed out that the premises’ owners installed a new CCTV system at considerable expense after the Licensing Inspector’s 2017 visit. The Licensing Officer could not contradict the applicant’s solicitor on that point.
The most contemporary information in front of the Committee came from Dyfed Powys Police’s Pembrokeshire Licensing Officer, Nigel Lewis.
The Licensing Officer set out that he met with the applicants to discuss their application and conducted ‘amicable mediation’ regarding the most contentious elements of it. He explained how, once he related the level of opposition to the original proposal, the applicants eagerly embraced the opportunity to address concerns and alter their application from its original form.
Nigel Lewis was questioned closely by Cllr John Davies about public order incidents and related the only one linked to the premises in the last year was one in which staff were assaulted. The Herald reported that incident in our February 7 edition and confirm that a Torfaen man pleaded guilty to assaulting staff when he was asked to return inside the pub to prevent a public nuisance.
The Licensing Officer reported during mediation, the applicant accepted there appeared to an issue of noise escaping from the premises and they needed show diligence regarding it in the future
After retiring to consider their decision, the Committee reconvened and approved the application subject to the following conditions with immediate effect: Bar 10 would be permitted to serve drinks until 1:00 am on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday each week with the premises to be closed at 1:30 am; recorded music would end at midnight on each night; two qualified door staff would be engaged for weekend nights and also for other evenings to which extended hours applied; on Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve and on Sundays before a Monday Bank Holiday, Bar 10 could supply alcohol until 1:30 am and the premises must close by 2:00 am. On each of those dates, recorded music must stop at midnight.
Committee Chair Cllr Tim Evans concluded by adding the mediation conducted between Nigel Lewis and the applicants had ‘enhanced the application’.

Continue Reading

News

Tesco grant boost for Haverfordwest children

Published

on

AN ORGANISATION working with children in Haverfordwest has received a £1,000 grant from a special costal voting round of Tesco’s Bags of Help scheme.

The grant for Clybiau Plant Cymru will go towards delivering workshops and out of school childcare clubs that encourage children to play outdoors and connect with nature in coastal areas.

Alex Fudge, the Regional Manager for Clybiau Plant Cymru, said the funding will help combat issues of childhood obesity in Wales, giving children the opportunity to play freely and get active away from distractions such as social media.

“We’re truly grateful to Tesco for its support and funding through the Bags of Help scheme,” she said We aim to promote health, wellbeing and environmental awareness through fun, outdoor activities, so every donation has a huge impact on kids’ lives.

“The clubs provide valuable play and learning opportunities outside of the school day, enabling parents to work and train, which in turn drives economic growth, tackles poverty and reduces inequalities.

“Through the funding we are delivering six workshops within three clubs in the Haverfordwest area to children and our staff,” she added. “It will engage up to 100 individuals, as well as providing skills and knowledge which staff can apply on an ongoing basis to provide quality childcare for years to come.”

Tesco shoppers in Haverfordwest cast their votes using blue tokens handed out at checkouts as part of the special voting round supporting groups in 42 coastal communities across the UK. More than 100 projects working to improve Britain’s coastline shared the combined funding pot worth £300,000.

Bags of Help, run in partnership with the charity Groundwork, sees funding awarded to thousands of local community projects every year. To date £80m has been awarded through the scheme, with more than £5m awarded to projects in Wales.

Claire de Silva, Tesco’s Head of Community, said: “Bags of Help has been a huge success since we introduced the scheme and we are glad to be able to support great projects, including this coastal scheme in Haverfordwest.

“We saw a fantastic mix of projects shortlisted and I’d like to thank customers for casting their votes for projects that will have a positive impact within their community.”

The scheme is ran in partnership with community charity Groundwork. Groundwork’s National Chief Executive, Graham Duxbury, said: “Bags of Help continues to enable local communities up and down Britain to improve their local spaces and the places that matter to them. We’re pleased to be able to be a part of the journey and provide support and encouragement to groups enjoying, protecting and improving Britain’s coastlines.”

Continue Reading

News

Monkton bus service to be axed

Published

on

FIRST Cymru has confirmed that it will be dropping its 348 bus service which runs from Monkton to Haverfordwest.
The service will cease on March 29.
A spokesperson for First Cymru said: “First Cymru can confirm that it has notified the Traffic Commissioner and the Council of its intention to deregister service 348, which operates between Haverfordwest and Monkton via Johnston and Pembroke Dock, from Sunday, March 29.
“Across the section between Monkton, Pembroke & Pembroke Dock we are better matching the number of journeys available with level of usage.
“It’s important to note that no bus stop is left without a bus service as a result of our intention to withdraw Service 348, and that Service 356 will continue to serve Monkton, Pembroke and Pembroke Dock.
“First will use the freed-up resources to extend Service 349 beyond Tenby to Saundersfoot and Kilgetty from Easter. We are confident passengers will welcome with this improvement.”

Continue Reading
News1 day ago

Protest planned after Town Council votes to keep child rapist’s portrait

A PROTEST will be held on Monday (Feb 24) from 3pm. Organisers said: “This is for Pembroke Town Council to...

News1 day ago

Distressed man in threat to jump

A MAN in an ’emotional state of distress’ has been taken into care after threatening to jump from the Cleddau...

News4 days ago

Nine Dyfed-Powys Police officers assaulted in one weekend

NINE Dyfed-Powys Police officers were assaulted in five incidents over the weekend, including a Special Constable who was bitten while...

News4 days ago

Stepaside: Residents group seeks to stop building of 80 houses

A PLANNING application is causing controversy in south Pembrokeshire. Stepaside and Pleasant Valley Residents Group have said that they are...

News4 days ago

Met Office: More rain and flooding warnings for Wales

ALTHOUGH the severe weather associated with Storm Dennis has passed, there is further wet and windy weather to come this...

News5 days ago

Public should ‘be alert’ as flood water causes disruption across Wales

NATURAL RESOURCES WALES is warning people to be alert as flood water causes disruption across Wales. Coastal areas in west...

News1 week ago

Farmer Sean Burns has been given a 20 weeks custodial sentence

THE FARMER behind the ‘farm of horrors’, Bramble Hall Farm, in Pembroke has been sent to prison following a sentencing...

News1 week ago

Rear windscreen smashed, Haverfordwest

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is investigating after a car window was smashed in Haverfordwest. The red Volkswagen Golf was parked in Castle...

News1 week ago

Cabinet recommends 5% Council Tax rise

AT ITS meeting on Monday this week, the Council’s Cabinet decided to recommend a Council Tax rise of 5% for...

News1 week ago

A new future for tourism in Pembrokeshire revealed

OVER the last 12 months the Destination Pembrokeshire Partnership (DPP) – comprising Pembrokeshire Tourism, Pembrokeshire County Council, PLANED and the...

Popular This Week