Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

National Parks to merge

Published

on

tegryn-jonesSET UP in the 1950s, Wales’ national parks were created to enhance and protect the environment. Around 12 million people visit the three national parks every year. Now the Welsh Government is reported to be considering proposals to merge the three bodies into one and there are fears the review is a pretext to strip away their planning powers and hand them over to local councils. A County Council spokesperson told the Herald: “We recognise there are opportunities to work more closely with the National Park and believe that such a relationship could deliver a more efficient and effective service. This is an arrangement encouraged by the Welsh Government.” Welsh environment minister John Griffiths has revealed that a review will be announced within weeks. Mr Griffiths said: “We’re looking at the governance, whether there may be direct elections for the councillors who sit on the national parks for example or whether there might be one for national parks for the whole of Wales. “As well as the very important landscape issues, and connecting people with national parks, increasingly we’re going to be talking about the social and economic as well as the environmental because they all have to click together.” The threat to the Parks’ autonomy is not new, but pressure is growing on the Welsh Government to merge the Park Authorities’ functions and remove their planning powers. Mr Griffiths would not be drawn on whether the review would tackle planning services delivered by the National Parks, stating that such a bill would be the responsibility of the Welsh Government’s planning minister. Speaking on behalf of National Parks Wales, Tegryn Jones, Chief Executive of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority commented: “The Williams Commission review made a series of recommendations on the role of National Park Authorities in Wales and highlighted the vital role that the Park Authorities play in conserving National Parks and ensuring their future protection and development. “The review also recognised that Wales’ National Parks are important national assets, generating £1billion for the Welsh economy each year and attracting 12 million visitors. “The need for greater collaborative working, as outlined in the review, has already been recognised across the three National Park Authorities, as well as with relevant local authorities and national bodies and joint projects are being planned to provide the best and most efficient use of resources. “The review did not, however, recommend that planning powers be removed from National Park Authorities. “We welcome the Welsh Government’s governance review and look forward to supporting the review process to ensure that National Parks in Wales continue to play a fundamental role in contributing to the success of Wales.” Pembrokeshire Council Leader Jamie Adams has previously made clear his preference for taking on the National Park’s planning powers. At a meeting of the Welsh Local Government Association in June 2013, he said: “You have two organisations, two public bodies providing the same services within the same county. There are opportunities to look at reducing the tax burden on the public of those services.” In Pembrokeshire, that would have meant the County Council having control of its own application to site a rubbish tip next to Brooklands Care Home: a project that the National Parks authority made sure did not happen.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. woody

    August 5, 2014 at 9:24 pm

    Jamie Adams to be in charge of the National Park now…..holy mother mary…..i despair…..will the last person to leave pembrokeshire please turn off the lights.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Simon’s Hart to Hart with Pembroke constituent

Published

on

SIMON HART has got into a heated doorstep discussion with a Pembroke pensioner whilst canvasing for next week’s general election.

Michael Hart, 70, who is no relation to Simon Hart, contacted The Herald at lunchtime today (5 December) to say that he had been in a heated discussion with the Tory incumbent, who was out door-knocking on his street.

The argument was sparked by the swastika saga – as exclusively reported in last week’s Herald – in which Simon Hart REFUSES to account for the appearance of offensive Nazi graffiti on one of his election placards, two years after it was taken down from public display.

Simon Hart photographed the placard in question in 2017 – at which point the only evidence of graffiti it bore was written text. But he posted a new photograph of the same placard to kickstart his re-election campaign last month, in which two swastikas are visible where none appeared before.

The MP is still refusing to give any public explanation, and has threatened legal action against those speculating over what he says is “demonstrably untrue.”
Since being reported by his favourite local weekly, Michael Hart tells us that he noticed how Simon Hart was still keeping quiet on the swastikas’ appearance – despite being approached by journalists reporting on the matter for the Independent, Daily Mirror, iNews and Western Mail titles.

Earlier this week WalesOnline reported that, when approached, Simon Hart failed to offer “an explanation as to how the swastika signs ended up on the election board, or who might be responsible”, but he told them: “Any suggestion that I had anything to do with this is malicious, false and defamatory and lawyers have been instructed”.

Michael Hart tells the Herald that he became aware Simon Hart was out campaigning on Kingsbridge Drive at lunchtime, when the candidate’s poster landed on his doormat.

The retiree says that the swastika issue led to the disagreement – in which words were exchanged and threats of legal action were inferred made towards him by the government minister.

Michael Hart, a retired teacher and mechanical engineer, said that he tackled Simon Hart to explain how the swastikas came about. He says his prodding produced what he calls a “tentative explanation” from the Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire incumbent, which he finds “hard to believe”.

“I opened my door and went out to the drive, and politely said I did not want the poster. A few moments later, Simon Hart came up the road and onto my drive.

“I complained to him about two things – the Conservatives’ illegal proroguing of Parliament, and all that I’ve read about his publishing of the photo on his Facebook page of his defaced election board with the swastikas on.

“When I asked him about the signs, he got agitated, angry, and threatened me with legal action, and said he would pursue anybody who made out that he had anything to do with it”.

“On pushing him further, he told me how he thinks they got there. He says when his signs were in storage in a shed, that the shed was broken into, and a large number of placards including the swastika placard were ‘damaged or defaced’ for a second time!

“It really is quite some theory – and if it is true now, then it was true last week when the issue was first exposed. So why didn’t he mention this before now, when the Herald and other papers started asking him questions, or why didn’t he contact the police?

“Why was it when he put the poster on Facebook did he not then explain how the swastikas got there?

“I’m not sure why but he was recording our conversation on his phone. At the end of the visit no one from Mr Hart’s party would accept the poster back – so I threw it in the road and then it was picked up.”

Continue Reading

News

Jeremy Corbyn 100% confirmed to visit Pembrokeshire this weekend

Published

on

LABOUR leader Jeremy Corbyn will be visiting Pembrokeshire this weekend to shore up support for Labour candidates in the area.

Although the exact itinerary has not yet been confirmed, Labour HQ in Cardiff has confirmed to The Pembrokeshire Herald that Mr Corbyn will definitely be in attendance.

Mr Corbyn will be keen to rally votes for Philippa Thompson, who is standing in the Preseli Pembrokeshire seat – the second most marginal in the UK.

At the 2017 election she lost to Stephen Crabb by just 314 votes.

An email sent out to Labour members states: “Jeremy Corbyn will be in Haverfordwest to talk about how we win a better society, and we hope you can join him.

“This election is a once in a generation chance for us. Together we can reverse a decade of austerity. Take power from the billionaires, the bad bosses and the big polluters and give it to workers, young people, communities and everyone the Tories have failed for so long.

“We’re coming together to make our voices heard in Haverfordwest this weekend. This is about getting together, being inspired, and making a difference in the final week.”

The exact location will be sent out to those who register to attend, the email ads. The indoor rally is expected to start at 5.30pm.

Corbyn’s supporters said they hope that their leader will also attend an outdoor rally taking place in Haverfordwest town centre, at a location to be confirmed, the same afternoon.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Haverfordwest boy caught taking drugs by officers thirty miles away

Published

on

A TEENAGE boy was arrested in Haverfordwest last week, after he was caught smoking cannabis on CCTV cameras which are monitored in Carmarthen (on Nov 28).

As part of the ongoing effort to crack down on anti-social behaviour in the town centre, known as Operation Spitfire, Haverfordwest Inspector, Reuben Palin, was at police headquarters, where the cameras are monitored, when he spotted the boy on-screen.

He saw a group of teenagers known to police, and the camera operator was able to zoom in for a closer look at their activities. After a call to local officers, they quickly arrived at the scene. The group was searched and one of the youths was arrested for possessing the class B drug.

Insp. Palin said: “We’re doing all we can to address community concerns about anti-social behaviour in Haverfordwest, and this includes putting the town’s new CCTV system to best use.

“Seeing the capability of the cameras in live-time has shown that CCTV is not just useful when an incident has occurred, but can also help us monitor what’s happening in town, and will hopefully deter bad behaviour.

“Obviously this can’t replace good old fashioned foot patrols, and we have a plan that sees CCTV complementing a visible police presence.”

The teenage boy arrested on suspicion of possessing the small amount of cannabis admitted the offence, and will be dealt with by the Youth Offending Team to ensure he gets support for his drug use.

He continued: “We are also working with other agencies, in particular the council, which has recently opened a drop-in centre for young people at No 2 Old Bridge, with the aim of offering a wide range of activities and opportunities that reflect their interests.

“While we have a strategy to minimise anti-social behaviour in this area, we would like to remind parents that the actions of their children are not the responsibility of the police. We urge you to be aware of what your children are doing, and where they are spending their time.

“No one should have to put up with anti-social behaviour and I would encourage the community to contact Haverfordwest Police to report any issues or concerns.”

Continue Reading
News2 days ago

Simon’s Hart to Hart with Pembroke constituent

SIMON HART has got into a heated doorstep discussion with a Pembroke pensioner whilst canvasing for next week’s general election....

Politics2 days ago

Chancellor visits local pioneering software company

PRESELI’S Conservative candidate Stephen Crabb has welcomed the Chancellor, Sajid Javid, to Pembrokeshire to visit a pioneering education software company....

News2 days ago

Jeremy Corbyn 100% confirmed to visit Pembrokeshire this weekend

LABOUR leader Jeremy Corbyn will be visiting Pembrokeshire this weekend to shore up support for Labour candidates in the area....

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest boy caught taking drugs by officers thirty miles away

A TEENAGE boy was arrested in Haverfordwest last week, after he was caught smoking cannabis on CCTV cameras which are...

News3 days ago

Tenby: Flowers taken in shop smash and grab

POLICE are investigating a burglary in the Tenby that took place between the hours of 23:30 on Friday the 29th...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Police investigating sexual assault of girl, 16, near tennis courts

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses after a 16-year-old girl was sexually assaulted near the tennis courts at Pill Lane,...

News4 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Police want help to locate missing man Lewis Haines

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for information that could help them find missing Lewis Haines, from Pembroke Dock. Lewis was last...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven: Witnesses sought over disturbance outside Greggs bakery

POLICE in Milford Haven  are appealing for witnesses following a violent incident in Milford Haven over the weekend. Officers were...

News7 days ago

Milford Haven: Bakery sealed off following altercation

POLICE responded to an incident in Greggs bakery in Milford Haven on Saturday afternoon, and arrested a man. A witness...

News7 days ago

Simon Hart under pressure to explain swastikas on election sign

THE RE-ELECTION campaign of south-county MP Simon Hart is mired in controversy, as the Tory flatly refuses to publicly respond...

Popular This Week