Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Samurai attacker jailed for four years

Published

on

swordA MASKED man armed with a samurai sword who put six people through a “petrifying ordeal” has been jailed today for four years and eight months.

Kyle Poole, aged 26, admitted kidnapping Luke Jones and his girlfriend Hannah Wright, and causing affray at the home of Carwyn Jones.

Parick Griffiths, prosecuting, told Swansea crown court how Poole, from Stockport near Manchester, had visited his aunt, Michaela Jones, in Cardigan and had been told that Carwyn Jones, then her boyfriend, had been involved in a minor act of violence.

Poole decided to take revenge and drove to Mr Jones’ home, Hafod Llwyd Farm, at Llechryd.

He used a scarf as a mask and put on a pair of latex gloves before bursting into a caravan in the grounds of the farmhouse and “scaring the daylight” out of Mr Jones and Miss Wright.

Poole punched Mr Jones to his eye and demanded to know where he could find Carwyn Jones.

Poole then placed two large kitchen knives in his left hand and a three foot long samurai sword in his right hand and marched the couple to the farmhouse.

He burst into the living room where Carwyn Jones was watching television with his three children, aged between seven and 14.

“It is not difficult to imagine the terror they would have felt,” said Mr Griffiths.

Poole told Carwyn Jones he was going to “slice him up” and lunged at him with the knives and the sword. Mr Jones grabbed the blade of the sword but Poole “kept on coming” and cut his hand and his cheek.

Carwyn Jones managed to push him away and all six victims fled in different directions.

Carwyn and Luke Jones locked themselves in the caravan, three minors who were also present ran out onto a road, and Miss Wright spent twenty minutes hiding behind a wall “scared out of her wits” that Poole would find her.

A motorist rescued the children and telephoned the police.

Poole was seen to drive away from the farm in a Vauxhall car, which he crashed into a fence and abandoned. He was arrested later in Cardigan.

Poole maintained he had intended to frighten Carwyn Jones but not to harm him.

Judge Keith Thomas said when people armed themselves with knives then serious injury can follow.

He said Poole had been “masked and armed to the teeth” and had put his victims through a petrifying experience.

Judge Thomas said he regarded the kidnaps and the violence at the farmhouse as separate incidents.

He jailed Poole for 32 months for the kidnaps, with an additional 24 months for the affray.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Milford Haven: Man charged over two burglaries and criminal damage

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have released an update in relation to the spate of burglaries in Milford Haven

34-year-old Thomas John Picton has been charged with two burglaries and criminal damage in the town.

He is, say police, suspected of being involved in a burglary carried out at Cohen’s pharmacy of November 26, another at Heaven Scent shop and criminal damage to a door at The Precinct on the same date.

He will appear before Llanelli Magistrates’ Courts this morning (Dec 3).

An arrest has also been made in relation to a more recent burglary at the Royal British Legion on December 11. He was also arrested on suspicion of possession of class A.B and C drugs. He has been released under investigation.

One suspect is outstanding.

Some 11 arrests have now been made in connection with a spate of burglaries that has targeted businesses and homes in the town.

Dyfed-Powys Police has vowed to continue to crack down on suspects and prevent further burglaries in the lead up to Christmas.

Sergeant Terri Harrison from Milford Haven’s Neighbourhood Policing team said: “Hopefully this arrest provides some reassurance to the public following recent burglaries in the town. One burglary is one too many, and we will ensure that it will remain a priority for us, ensuring that we bring as much patrol cover and preventative effort as we possibly can.

“We are also aware of the impact that burglaries can have on individual householders and businesses alike. Don’t make it easy for them, stay alert to your surroundings and report anything suspicious to police immediately no matter how insignificant it may seem. The report of a suspicious vehicle or people acting strangely in your neighbourhood can help us to prevent and detect crime. We need to work together to tackle this.”

Chief Inspector Harries added: “There has been a significant amount of work carried out by the Criminal Investigation Department, response officers and neighbourhood policing teams from across the county to tackle this rise in burglary offences. We are committed to maintaining patrols in the area and seek support from the community to report any concerns.”

If you would like further advice on home security you can contact your local Neighbourhood Policing Team on 101.

Continue Reading

News

Carmarthen West & South Pembs still blue as Hart increases majority

Published

on

SIMON HART has retained his Carmarthen West & South Pembrokeshire seat with an increased majority.

Polling over 22,000 votes, he comfortably saw off the challenge of Labour’s Marc Tierney, who recorded just shy of 14,500 votes.

Plaid’s Dr Rhys Thomas polled over 3,000 votes in third. Alistair Cameron of the Liberal Democrats finished fourth.

Continue Reading

News

Stephen Crabb demolishes Labour with his biggest ever majority

Published

on

POLLING the largest ever number of votes for the Conservatives in Preseli Pembrokeshire, Stephen Crabb increased his majority in yesterday’s General Election.

Mr Crabb polled 21,381 votes against his nearest rival’s (Labour’s Philippa Thompson) 16,319.

Plaid Cymru finished third with 2,776 votes and the Liberal Democrats trailed home in fourth with 1,943 votes.

After Returning Officer Ian Westley announced the outcome, Mr Crabb gave a notably short victory speech in which he concentrated on thanking his opponents for a good campaign fought hard but with little personal rancour.

Philippa Thompson called on Mr Crabb to work for the benefit of all his constituents in response.

Continue Reading
News11 hours ago

Stephen Crabb demolishes Labour with his biggest ever majority

POLLING the largest ever number of votes for the Conservatives in Preseli Pembrokeshire, Stephen Crabb increased his majority in yesterday’s...

News18 hours ago

Our election prediction: No change for west Wales, same MPs will be elected

COUNTING of ballots is underway at the Pavillion at the Pembrokeshire County Showground, Haverfordwest and in Llanelli at the Selwyn...

News1 day ago

Castlemorris: Fire fighters tackle barn blaze

FIRE FIGHTERS are tackling a barn fire at Castlemorris Equestrian & Pets centre at Pencnwc Farm, not far from Haverfordwest....

News1 day ago

Head of volunteer police sacked for gross misconduct

DYFED-POWYS POLICE’S Head of Volunteer Police has been sacked following a disciplinary hearing. The police said in a statement: “Following...

News1 day ago

Nurse threat accused fined

A PEMBROKE DOCK man pleaded guilty at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court to an offence of using threatening and abusive language towards...

News1 day ago

Angle lifeboat volunteers spend over eleven hours at sea

ANGLE RNLI all-weather lifeboat Mark Mason was requested to launch shortly before 2am on Saturday morning 30 of November by...

News2 days ago

Your Candidates: Carmarthen West & South Pembs, and Preseli Pembs

THE PEMBROKESHIRE HERALD invited each of Pembrokeshire’s General Election candidates to provide us with a statement asking them to complete...

Community2 days ago

Education Chief to leave Council

IAN WESTLEY, Chief Executive of Pembrokeshire County Council, announced to staff and Members on Wednesday (Dec 11) that Kate Evan-Hughes,...

Community2 days ago

‘Just do it’, advises 91-year-old leisure centre member

ARE you struggling to find the motivation to keep fit? Then help is at hand! Meet the inspirational Valerie Coleman...

News2 days ago

Warning to vessels after a dozen shipping containers lost off cargo ship

MILFORD Haven Coastguard is investigating reports of up to 12 shipping containers adrift in the sea around the island of...

Popular This Week