Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

No confidence ballot ‘likely to go against Bryn Parry’, say unions

Published

on

backed brynTRADE UNIONS in Pembrokeshire, including UNISON, are continuing to mount the pressure on Pembrokeshire County Council’s chief executive, Bryn Parry-Jones, as the ballot over ‘no confidence’ in his abilities continues.

Vic Dennis, UNISON Branch Secretary, told The Herald: “Ballot papers went out to all our members in Pembrokeshire last week and the speed and size of response has been overwhelming.

“With days still to go we have already received over 500 responses and many members are on annual leave. The early indications are that the majority UNISON members employed by PCC will confirm that they have lost trust and confidence in their Chief Officer. We have never had such an immediate and overpowering response to a ballot on any other issue”
UNISON along with Unite and GMB are planning a major rally outside County Hall on Friday 8th support it. Vic Dennis added: “This is in direct response to calls from our respective membership to have their voices heard in relation to numerous failings in Pembrokeshire County Council. The continuing pension debacle is the last straw for our members, many of whom now say they are embarrassed to admit they work for PCC.
“The action is taking place at lunch time so members are at liberty to register their protest and we trust that no pressure is put on them not to walk out.”

“It is not only trade union members who welcome this opportunity to show their feelings but the community as a whole. We now ask them to join us on 8th at 12:30 to show their strength of feeling.”
On Friday, August 8 at 12:30 and many members have indicated that they will.
Last week union leaders said: “The Chief Executive has refused to repay and of the £45,000 pounds of pension payments he received directly to his bank account. In the meantime some of the lowest paid and hardest hit by the pay and grading review are suffering hardship whilst the appeals process drags on with no end in sight.”

“The joint unions are now planning to demonstrate their anger at a lunchtime protest on 8 August, similar to the action taken by employees of Caerphilly Council which highlighted the failings of their CEO”, they said.
Paul Miller, Labour leader on the Council, wrote to IPPG leader Jamie Adams when the news broke of the new investigation saying: “It would, in my view, seriously undermine public trust and the moral of the staff were Mr Parry-­Jones to continue in his position while these enquiries are undertaken.

“I appreciate that we have not seen eye to eye on this issue in the past (far from it) but I implore you now to show some courage and leadership. I implore you to break with the past and do what is right.

“Take the first step on what will admittedly be a very long journey, to restore some credibility and public trust to our local authority.”
The Herald asked for a copy of Councillor Adams’ reply to that letter, but we were told that he regarded his correspondence to the Council’s Labour leader as private.

The Council has declined to comment on the unions’ actions.

The Herald will be covering the protest with a live coverage on the newspapers website and Facebook feed.

Continue Reading
7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. Archie

    August 6, 2014 at 10:35 am

    I would love to attend and support the staff unfortunately I will be away, but if I was here I would join them. hope members of the public like myself will show their support. Good Luck, you will need it to get rid of Teflon man!

  2. Rockface

    August 6, 2014 at 1:55 pm

    Some of the staff are scared to demonstrate outside county hall.

  3. anita d

    August 6, 2014 at 5:29 pm

    i would encourage as many of the general public as possible to go along

  4. tomos

    August 6, 2014 at 6:25 pm

    Sorry to hear that Rockface but knowing what I know of his tricks and behaviour (folders “left” in cars, devious,nasty and spiteful in my humble opinion anyway) I can understand why some ppl will be scared after all look at Sue Thomas – indeed Jamie A is still spinning against her and for Bryn

  5. Becky Dyer

    August 6, 2014 at 10:22 pm

    I used to work for PCC until 10 yrs ago and the culture was very concerning back then – failure was rewarded with promotion if your face fitted and no one above a certain grade was accountable. I now work for a very large English Local Authority and the difference is staggering. Our chief exec earns £100k a year less than BPJ and yet we consistently perform very well as a Local Authority. I attended a training session recently (I’m a Human Resources Advisor) and PCC was used as a bad example for safeguarding failings, HR policies, accountability and treatment of whistleblowers. I’m ashamed to put my 5 years at PCC on my CV for fear of being tainted by association. The senior exec needs shifting. New blood from OUTSIDE Pembrokeshire would be good. No more nepotism and blind eyes being turned. Time. For. Change. Pembrokeshire people deserve better!!

  6. Clive James aka clivebeca

    August 8, 2014 at 9:35 pm

    I would still like to know who ‘the other Senior Officer’ is? Why is he/she being protected?
    There is surely a case very soon for either various departments of PCC being placed into Welsh Government Special Measures, OR the entire Council. Never thought I’d say it, but ‘Bring back Dyfed’ or a western version of Dyfed i.e. Pembrokeshire/Ceredigion. The redundancy bill for Senior Staff, would probably be very high, but perhaps it would get rid of ‘Deadwood’. Surely we need/deserve democratic accountability, but all for the good of the Residents/Tax payers not for Senior Officers earning more than the PM of the UK ??

  7. Tomos

    August 10, 2014 at 5:46 pm

    Well clivebeca I agree 100% with you, I believe I remember someone posted the name on another local newspapers web site but it was taken down pretty quickly by the administrators, I think it was the HR director who retired , was it a Mr McC something?

    Has he had some sort of injunction, or is he so highly respected that both papers decided not to infringe on his private life now that he’s no longer part of the sordid gang. 🙁

    BPJ has taken a lot of flack but looking at all the things have gone wrong then I suggest he has a heck of a lot to answer for too!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Milford Haven: Man charged over two burglaries and criminal damage

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have released an update in relation to the spate of burglaries in Milford Haven

34-year-old Thomas John Picton has been charged with two burglaries and criminal damage in the town.

He is, say police, suspected of being involved in a burglary carried out at Cohen’s pharmacy of November 26, another at Heaven Scent shop and criminal damage to a door at The Precinct on the same date.

He will appear before Llanelli Magistrates’ Courts this morning (Dec 3).

An arrest has also been made in relation to a more recent burglary at the Royal British Legion on December 11. He was also arrested on suspicion of possession of class A.B and C drugs. He has been released under investigation.

One suspect is outstanding.

Some 11 arrests have now been made in connection with a spate of burglaries that has targeted businesses and homes in the town.

Dyfed-Powys Police has vowed to continue to crack down on suspects and prevent further burglaries in the lead up to Christmas.

Sergeant Terri Harrison from Milford Haven’s Neighbourhood Policing team said: “Hopefully this arrest provides some reassurance to the public following recent burglaries in the town. One burglary is one too many, and we will ensure that it will remain a priority for us, ensuring that we bring as much patrol cover and preventative effort as we possibly can.

“We are also aware of the impact that burglaries can have on individual householders and businesses alike. Don’t make it easy for them, stay alert to your surroundings and report anything suspicious to police immediately no matter how insignificant it may seem. The report of a suspicious vehicle or people acting strangely in your neighbourhood can help us to prevent and detect crime. We need to work together to tackle this.”

Chief Inspector Harries added: “There has been a significant amount of work carried out by the Criminal Investigation Department, response officers and neighbourhood policing teams from across the county to tackle this rise in burglary offences. We are committed to maintaining patrols in the area and seek support from the community to report any concerns.”

If you would like further advice on home security you can contact your local Neighbourhood Policing Team on 101.

Continue Reading

News

Carmarthen West & South Pembs still blue as Hart increases majority

Published

on

SIMON HART has retained his Carmarthen West & South Pembrokeshire seat with an increased majority.

Polling over 22,000 votes, he comfortably saw off the challenge of Labour’s Marc Tierney, who recorded just shy of 14,500 votes.

Plaid’s Dr Rhys Thomas polled over 3,000 votes in third. Alistair Cameron of the Liberal Democrats finished fourth.

Continue Reading

News

Stephen Crabb demolishes Labour with his biggest ever majority

Published

on

POLLING the largest ever number of votes for the Conservatives in Preseli Pembrokeshire, Stephen Crabb increased his majority in yesterday’s General Election.

Mr Crabb polled 21,381 votes against his nearest rival’s (Labour’s Philippa Thompson) 16,319.

Plaid Cymru finished third with 2,776 votes and the Liberal Democrats trailed home in fourth with 1,943 votes.

After Returning Officer Ian Westley announced the outcome, Mr Crabb gave a notably short victory speech in which he concentrated on thanking his opponents for a good campaign fought hard but with little personal rancour.

Philippa Thompson called on Mr Crabb to work for the benefit of all his constituents in response.

Continue Reading
News10 hours ago

Stephen Crabb demolishes Labour with his biggest ever majority

POLLING the largest ever number of votes for the Conservatives in Preseli Pembrokeshire, Stephen Crabb increased his majority in yesterday’s...

News16 hours ago

Our election prediction: No change for west Wales, same MPs will be elected

COUNTING of ballots is underway at the Pavillion at the Pembrokeshire County Showground, Haverfordwest and in Llanelli at the Selwyn...

News23 hours ago

Castlemorris: Fire fighters tackle barn blaze

FIRE FIGHTERS are tackling a barn fire at Castlemorris Equestrian & Pets centre at Pencnwc Farm, not far from Haverfordwest....

News24 hours ago

Head of volunteer police sacked for gross misconduct

DYFED-POWYS POLICE’S Head of Volunteer Police has been sacked following a disciplinary hearing. The police said in a statement: “Following...

News1 day ago

Nurse threat accused fined

A PEMBROKE DOCK man pleaded guilty at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court to an offence of using threatening and abusive language towards...

News1 day ago

Angle lifeboat volunteers spend over eleven hours at sea

ANGLE RNLI all-weather lifeboat Mark Mason was requested to launch shortly before 2am on Saturday morning 30 of November by...

News2 days ago

Your Candidates: Carmarthen West & South Pembs, and Preseli Pembs

THE PEMBROKESHIRE HERALD invited each of Pembrokeshire’s General Election candidates to provide us with a statement asking them to complete...

Community2 days ago

Education Chief to leave Council

IAN WESTLEY, Chief Executive of Pembrokeshire County Council, announced to staff and Members on Wednesday (Dec 11) that Kate Evan-Hughes,...

Community2 days ago

‘Just do it’, advises 91-year-old leisure centre member

ARE you struggling to find the motivation to keep fit? Then help is at hand! Meet the inspirational Valerie Coleman...

News2 days ago

Warning to vessels after a dozen shipping containers lost off cargo ship

MILFORD Haven Coastguard is investigating reports of up to 12 shipping containers adrift in the sea around the island of...

Popular This Week